Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17
Closed

How is this okay? Abuse of power.

FeidaFeida
MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
in General Chat
I came across this reddit post, and I guess I'm here to spread the awareness of this situation.
https://reddit.com/r/MapleStory2/comments/9q7ekp/name_changed_without_notification_or_reason/
How can you do something like this, let alone not give them compensation after the fact? This does not sit well with me.
GretaHumanGirlCraigoreeJozarBebopSplatulatedElerya

Comments

• GretaGreta
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,080
    THIS IS MESSED UP...

I have no words! So ridiculous!

Please give his name back or give him a chance to rename it.

This is literally abusing GM powers...
    FeidaSprouti
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    edited 5:53AM October 22, 2018
    GMs should always bypass the "no special characters" rule with an underscore or at least put GM in their name to prove they're not impersonating.

I know Cicada is on Mabi. If he really did change that person's name because he wanted it, then all I can say is that is retarded but not unexpected from the wonderfully competent staff. Still, I'll hold my judgement cause I don't like to flat out accuse people of anything.
    ---

Unrelated:Yes, this bothers me more because my forum name change and my DM to Cuddles that's been ignored since August 6th (when it was changed). Even her dumb lackeys (VFMs) and sending a ticket didn't work. And yet DrWhiteTrash & Hentai could fix their names after the fact. All I'm saying is, at least provide a reasoning + compensation so people can fix their sht.
    mirta000Zarozian
  • CyberliskCyberlisk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,415
  • DocDoomDocDoom
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,265
    This is not the GM doing, this is entirely on Nexon, stop saying it's GM abuse hes part of the team since Maple 1 and Nexon always did that to everyone who had GM related names.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,530
    Just another day at Nexon. They probably didn't mean any harm, they just make stupid decisions for a living.

Glad these things get exposed though. Maybe one day people will stop white knighting them for every stupid decision they make.

Now that Reddit is aware of the situation Nexon will probably return with some half-hearted apology in a few days.
  • FeidaFeida
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
    I can understand changing names to avoid confusion regard the GMs, but to belittle users by changing their name to "clcada" with no way of changing it to something they want is just plain ridiculous. This user should not have received the "profanity name" treatment.
    GretaSproutiEleryaSkyCake
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,730
    a Gm cannot change your name. so ye. something fishy is going on there. maybe a hacker changed it.
  • DocDoomDocDoom
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,265
    DanDK wrote: »
    Just another day at Nexon. They probably didn't mean any harm, they just make stupid decisions for a living.

Glad these things get exposed though. Maybe one day people will stop white knighting them for every stupid decision they make.

Now that Reddit is aware of the situation Nexon will probably return with some half-hearted apology in a few days.

Mate you sound like our souls will be taken by Nexon and the empire of the game industry will rely on the almighty power of this Evil Corporation. Just no.
  • mirta000mirta000
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,270
    FeverJaws wrote: »
    a Gm cannot change your name. so ye. something fishy is going on there. maybe a hacker changed it.

A GM can most definitely change your name and often they do if you violate naming conventions. This was completely uncalled for though.
    FeidaJozarBebopGretaElerya
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Ya, for sure seems pretty ridiculous. But it doesn't surprise me. It's Nexon, staff. They rarely do things in a manner that makes sense. I always question why GMs even exist in Nexon games, it's not like they actually seem to do anything in the game, besides events.
    Greta
  • AcsoulAcsoul
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
    Definitely doesn't sit well. If they were worried about Gm impersonation the name clcada shouldn't have been available either. This should have been handled professionally by notifying the player of the situation, giving a FREE name change voucher and some merits as compensation.
    Greta
  • Nanachi_CCCPNanachi_CCCP
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,900
    Name should go back to this player,gm can pick other one or even call himself GMCikada or NexonCikada
    Even better,avoid the naming rule and use (GM)Cicada
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,080
    edited 8:49AM October 22, 2018
    Lol GM Cicada was late to the party so instead of thinking something else and making their own name, they took away Beta player name anyway GG. It's funny how a GM could have taken their name even before Beta happened, but incompetence of Nexon staff failed to do even such simple thing.
  • PizzaaPizzaa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,050
    Forum Moderator
    edited 8:56AM October 22, 2018
    Hey there,

I can understand your frustration but this kind of thread goes under witch hunting, I would strongly suggest you to contact Cuddles about it instead of making a public thread. Thanks for understanding
This discussion has been closed.