Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Maple Story 2: Cute, fun, and entirely broken.

KayoAemskeyKayoAemskey
MapleStory 2 Rep: 325
edited 12:08AM October 22, 2018 in General Chat
So I would like to preface this with a few things before I begin. Before Maple Story 2, the only MMO's I've played this year are Warframe, Elder Scrolls Online and unfortunately Vindictus (Yanno before RISE came out, and basically ruined that entire game for it's foreseeable future. I actually wrote a huge post on the Vindy forums complaining about how unfun the game became once every boss pre-level 90 started dying in one attack.) I'm not a massive fan of MMO's generally, and honestly if a friend of mine hadn't bought me founder status/early access I wouldn't put up with the issues MS2 continually generates as I attempt to do the simplest little things.

I'm certain anyone who has read this far has already conjured up their own thoughts on what I'm probably talking about, and lets be clear here: I don't want technical support, or to report any bugs, or whatever with this post. This is an open discussion about a few problems I personally have with the game , that others may or may not have an opinion on themselves.

"Style crates and style coins are blatant rip-offs..." At least you have the choice of ignoring the crates/coins entirely. But seriously, one coin from breaking something down? 76 for the rare goodies in the shop? Who the devil passed these metrics and was like "GENIUS! Our players will be elated!"

"Progression at endgame is time gated." Yeah currently we get 30 dungeons a week, epic tier items are dropped exclusively in those dungeons, and if you didn't progress this week in 30 runs by getting a good drop either to sell or use...well. Make an alt and repeat all that content leading up to level 50, then continue repeating what you already ran 30 times.

"Oh the UI lags sometimes if you craft a lot." Yes. Yes it does, and I hate it.

"There are tons of spammers and bots in chat!" Honestly, this is to be expected from a korean based MMO, unfortunately. Thankfully, the practices in place within the game (tons and tons of potions and herbs handed out across all levels, reasonable equipment for your level throughout the main quest, an active and open free market, etc.) invalidate the need for those kinds of third party hacked currency services, at least in my opinion.

And of course. The big bad boss himself.

"Error Code: 10053, right?" ding ding ding.Just like that I'm fairly certain about half the people reading this far just left, which is fine, this isn't an issue that affects everyone. The point of this topic as I said before, is to incite discussion about the issues I'm laying out and understand how people feel about or deal with the issues themselves in an orderly polite fashion.

But having said that, holy bleeding christ for the players it effects, this issue may as well remove half the features from the game.

Oh you have automatic consumable based fishing, foraging, mining, performing, farming, and ranching that would allow players who aren't actively playing or around to progress while they do things outside of this MMO game???

GOOD LUCK GETTING USE OUT OF THEM! Want to walk away from your computer? Well, that coupon is in use as long as you're online and that might n- oh I dc'd, hold on. I'm auto performing in Ludari City as I write this. I have to babysit these awesome afk utilities by staying near my keyboard constantly.- ot be very long, depending on how temperamental the game is feeling at that particular moment.

Oh, they're having an event that will reward players for playing the game and leveling up? Get a head start on all the content and get rewards for it too! ...If the game decides to let you play, of course. Got a limited amount of time to play each day? Better hope this issue doesn't rear it's head, otherwise you're gonna spend 80% of your time loading back into the game and running through that dungeon again, all the while hoping that the nerds you decided to party with don't kill the boss in your absence (I imagine in this scenario, even the people who aren't disconnecting have to be sick and tired of waiting on everyone who has this problem.)

Oh you just want to afk in your house for bonus exp? Read. Above.

I hit level 60 despite disconnecting more than 800 times across the full first week of MS2's official release. I suffered through it. No one - NO ONE should have to put up with this garbage and most wouldn't I imagine. I wouldn't have wasted my time and life after the second disconnection if a friend hadn't gifted me founder status and patiently waited for me every step of the way so we could continue our adventure as a duo. Why would anyone play a game that is actively rejecting and then ejecting them?

How is any of this acceptable? I genuinely welcome arguments to defend the absolutely pathetic state Maple Story 2 has launched in. These issues were KNOWN ISSUES IN BETA (except the style boxes/coins which hadn't had a chance to present their flaws yet.) and somehow they all made it into the final release of the game. Maybe I'm an insane person (it's quite likely, tbh.) but I feel like the beta test portion of a game's life cycle is there to test for and fix major bugs before a public release.

So what do you fine people think? Are these issues legitimate problems we should worry about? Am I wrong for reacting as such?

Tl;dr, Maple Story 1 had a preferred channel feature i'm sick of logging in to channel 1 every time I dc fix it nexon.

Edit: i dc'd posting this. :|
DanDK

Comments

• PizzaBearPizzaBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    edited 4:11AM October 22, 2018
    Every game has technical issue. Korean games are developed for Korean market whose internet is superior to most of the world. You are the pathetic one who can only complain so much, instead of contributing to fixing the issue.

Edit: if you disconnected from even the forums, then it's your internet connection.
    Elliebird
  • DocDoomDocDoom
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,265
    There's one point that I actually agree with you, the idling stuff, this pisses me off so much, a game where you can evolve being afk is just retarded, at least that's my opinion.
  • Nanachi_CCCPNanachi_CCCP
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,900
    I do not see how can bugframe player dare to complain about bugs in this game.
    Jokes aside,your points are mostly not valid and those that are valid should go directly in bug report forum part.

This is best mobile phone game that i ever played but i too have few complains about it,but all of them are gone from my tongue as i look at my cute pink knight.
  • CyberliskCyberlisk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,420
    edited 4:31AM October 22, 2018
    Meh , I mean I kinda saw these problems coming with the "Unauth errors" we were getting in MushKing Royale. I dunno I guess I'm just a special somebody because I never have long lasting technical issues with any game . Sure , I dc occasionally when moving maps here , mostly i've noticed I'll DC if I try to AFK in ch 1 but yea I see my guildmates constantly dcing and relogging just to dc again.

I dunno why I never have technical issues . Everyone complained about lag and bad FPS in PubG but I had no issues as well lol.
  • ElliebirdElliebird
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    edited 4:31AM October 22, 2018
    I agree with some of your points, but there are things that I disagree with and things that you are incorrect about.

1: You can get more than one style coin when you break down an item, it varies depending on the item. This system in and of itself was an improvement on the original version of the style crates, which were entirely based on RNG and didn't have any of their items in the Premium Shop.
    2: They are already addressing the 30 dungeon limit, you will be able to reset your runs once per week when the November update rolls around.
    3: Bots and spammers in chat have gone down drastically in the last few days. You weren't incorrect on this one, I just thought it was worth pointing out.

The error codes were ridiculous for me as well, though my guildmates didn't have the same issues. That being said, the issue has actually gotten a lot better in my case. It started off fine, I could do afk activities without any issue, but then there were two days where I couldn't do ANY auto activity without DCing in the first few minutes. It happened during the first music exp event. It's no longer a problem for me, but it was definitely frustrating.

I've been playing MMOs for well over a decade now, and to call Maplestory 2's launch pathetic is a bit of a stretch, especially when you take into account just how much of the game they changed to suit us in the West. There are definitely problems, I will give you that, but they are either minor, already being addressed or don't effect many people. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think you're mistaken for being frustrated with the issues the game has.

KayoAemskey
  • KayoAemskeyKayoAemskey
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 325
    edited 7:05AM October 22, 2018
    PizzaBear wrote: »
    Every game has technical issue. Korean games are developed for Korean market whose internet is superior to most of the world. You are the pathetic one who can only complain so much, instead of contributing to fixing the issue.

Edit: if you disconnected from even the forums, then it's your internet connection.

Yes games have technical issues, yes this game was *originally* (two years ago) developed for a different cultural market. Putting those aside, it was brought to America. It was beta tested twice, once in open and once in closed beta, and incidents of this issue have persisted across the game's lifespan. As for contributing to fix the issue...well. Isn't openly discussing the issue, and allowing commentary on it exactly that? Short of actually being a developer myself and fixing the issue directly, this is about the extent of my power as a player.

When I disconnected, it was from the game itself, not the forums.
    I do not see how can bugframe player dare to complain about bugs in this game.
    Jokes aside,your points are mostly not valid and those that are valid should go directly in bug report forum part.

This is best mobile phone game that i ever played but i too have few complains about it,but all of them are gone from my tongue as i look at my cute pink knight.

I would enjoy letting my worries melt away as I lounge around the home I painstakingly built across hours, however in order to do that I would need to stay connected for longer than a minute or three. Yanno what game doesn't kick me off every 5 minutes? Bugframe. Yanno what game also has incredible hand made housing and great graphical fidelity? Bugframe.

As I said before this is isn't a request for help nor are the issues I've posted about something unknown to the community or staff. It was simply an attempt to foster some constructive conversation about these issues, beyond the constant whining of the 100053 megathread. Rather than contributing no examples to support your arguement that my points are invalid, why not discuss the points you take issue with specifically rather than leaving everything as vague as a possible?
    Elliebird wrote: »
    I agree with some of your points, but there are things that I disagree with and things that you are incorrect about.

1: You can get more than one style coin when you break down an item, it varies depending on the item. This system in and of itself was an improvement on the original version of the style crates, which were entirely based on RNG and didn't have any of their items in the Premium Shop.
    2: They are already addressing the 30 dungeon limit, you will be able to reset your runs once per week when the November update rolls around.
    3: Bots and spammers in chat have gone down drastically in the last few days. You weren't incorrect on this one, I just thought it was worth pointing out.

The error codes were ridiculous for me as well, though my guildmates didn't have the same issues. That being said, the issue has actually gotten a lot better in my case. It started off fine, I could do afk activities without any issue, but then there were two days where I couldn't do ANY auto activity without DCing in the first few minutes. It happened during the first music exp event. It's no longer a problem for me, but it was definitely frustrating.

I've been playing MMOs for well over a decade now, and to call Maplestory 2's launch pathetic is a bit of a stretch, especially when you take into account just how much of the game they changed to suit us in the West. There are definitely problems, I will give you that, but they are either minor, already being addressed or don't effect many people. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think you're mistaken for being frustrated with the issues the game has.

1. I see! That's much better then. I based that statement off personal experience having dismantled the goofy toys I got from my free style crate. Depending on the coin return on rarer items, that sounds like it has potential to be very convenient.

2. I believe I've seen the blog post referencing that change to the dungeons. A once per week full reset certainly helps the situation, however I still believe that the entry barrier at endgame created by the abyssmal drop rates and limited dungeons per week will highly encourage alt's. Instead of alternate characters, it may evolve to alternate accounts to game the free reset.

3. I still feel like I see them en masse during the wee hours of the morning. On top of that as more bots are getting banned, the tactics around them seem to be changing (in an extremely odd way?) to whisper individuals rather than spamming world/channel chat.

Bethesda is a fairly infamous company as far as releasing broken games goes, correct? Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games very specifically are overwhelmingly plauged by issues upon their release historically. However, people still play the games *religiously* upon release, because they can set aside the bugs. I believe they can set aside the bugs, because the game, while flawed, has a large amount of work put into the parts of it that immerse you. NPC's with voices, patrols across the world, dungeons that remember you've cleared them, etc.

Maple Story lacks those features. Dungeons reset the second you leave them, the world is filled and over loaded with people all over and advertisements across the most populated channels, the voice acting is....anyway. As one would expect from a free to play game, it simply lacks the high production value that other games with flaws use to cover up those flaws in my opinion.