May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Custom Forum Avatar

Comments

• MyuMyu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,365
    Bamboozler wrote: »
    @Matboksen By security issues they mean more along the lines of people uploading inappropriate pictures as their avatar.

If this is the case, then they shouldn't be allowing users to attach images to their posts. It's the same thing.
    MatboksenForum_UserSherriJigiJigiForum_Lurker
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 19,815
    Myu wrote: »
    If this is the case, then they shouldn't be allowing users to attach images to their posts. It's the same thing.

One of the devs mentioned exactly what I said in an earlier thread. I was just saying what they had said almost verbatim haha. :D

ankitskywalker
  • MatboksenMatboksen
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,690
    But they can just remove it if someone has indecent avatars and give them a warning :O
    Forum_Lurker
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,935
    edited 1:01AM April 24, 2018
    We do have forum moderators for a reason :thinking:
    SherriForum_Lurker
  • MezPezMezPez
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Toxicbrain wrote: »
    Depends. I don't like to see avatars that are not appropriate for this forum.
    If they can find a way to solve this problem, then sure.
    If not, then perhaps add ways to unlock more avatars by reaching certain goals on the forum, website, in-game.
    Or by having avatar contests and the top *enter number* winning avatars gets added or can only by used by those winners.

But this might be disliked by people also that want to use certain avatar but are not able to unlock it.

You can usually filter images through an approval system. It's also possible to have it "auto" detect if its appropriate if you have it look for the right words/image types. Depending weather they want to do it manually or auto of course.
    Forum_Lurker
  • The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,725
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    Agreed. Having custom avatar gives you a sense of individuality.
    Sometimes I remember forum users simply by their avatar alone! X-D

There are some security concerns on allowing Maplers to use custom avatars, even if it's hosted by imgur etc.

However, our team is trying to see if we can have your avatars tied to your in-game character! We will see if this can be applied (it's a bit tough to implement). But we won't be able to add this feature until official launch since this is when characters are not wiped.

If the team would like any assistance with this (or otherwise help with easily generating avatars for players to use on the forums that is based off their in-game character), just poke me on Discord! I'm sure this can be accomplished for players and it'd be incredible to see this added to the forums for both Maplestory 2 and Maplestory.

Cheers.
    Forum_Lurker
  • ZeroniusZeronius
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,545
    Definitely good to use our characters as opposed to any image. People can recognise you in-game lol.
    Forum_Lurker
  • SirDopeSirDope
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,460
    The in-game image would be amazing so i can make the weirdest character face 2k18~ but this feature should had a compiled option so u can change which char is ur main character, this can be changed by the forum settings
    Forum_Lurker
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    SirDope wrote: »
    The in-game image would be amazing so i can make the weirdest character face 2k18~ but this feature should had a compiled option so u can change which char is ur main character, this can be changed by the forum settings

So, basically, the FFXIV forum avatars?
    Forum_Lurker
  • SweetTatoSweetTato
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 745
    It's good to know that we could be getting custom avatar. The first thing I did when I joined this forum was looking for a way to change my avatar to some old arts of my character from maplestory 1, was certainly quite disappointed when i noticed there isn't a way to do so at the moment.
    SherriForum_Lurker
  • Jran64Jran64
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,360
    As many others have said, I think it wouldn't be such a great idea because some people might use an inappropriate image.

That being said, we do need more variety, or a way to take a pic of our characters face and use that. MORE AVATARS!
    Forum_Lurker
  • nurbnurb
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,305
    Jran64 wrote: »
    As many others have said, I think it wouldn't be such a great idea because some people might use an inappropriate image.

As @Myu previously said, users may use an inappropriate image for their profile picture, but what's stopping me from posting one in this thread? Not really a difference.

Could go with being able to 'unlock' custom avatars from getting enough rep, or even reaching a certain amount of posts. I also agree on having more avatars or even your in-game character, people like to be unique.
    Forum_Lurker
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    edited 9:59PM April 25, 2018
    nurb wrote: »
    As @Myu previously said, users may use an inappropriate image for their profile picture, but what's stopping me from posting one in this thread? Not really a difference.

Could go with being able to 'unlock' custom avatars from getting enough rep, or even reaching a certain amount of posts. I also agree on having more avatars or even your in-game character, people like to be unique.

I'd love having unlockable avatars based on something like rep or badges that you unlock. I think what they already have in planning would be good enough though.
    nurb
  • Forum_UserForum_User
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,510
    Bamboozler wrote: »

I'd love having unlockable avatars based on something like rep or badges that you unlock. I think what they already have in planning would be good enough though.

Agreed @Bamboozler! It would definitely incentivise activity on the forums and make active and helpful users more definable.
    BamboozlerForum_Lurker
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Just as long as it's not a paid item.
    Forum_Lurker
  • MyuMyu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,365
    edited 5:28AM April 28, 2018
    Jran64 wrote: »

AbZn9.png

There's even a badge for posting an image, video, or gif. It's also not only threads that you can post them on, even―you can post them on profiles too. So saying that we can't have custom avatars because someone might use an inappropriate one is a little bit ridiculous, and, quite frankly, makes no sense. Aren't there moderators for a reason?
    Forum_Lurker
  • HyphoxHyphox
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,260
    Yes plz make this possible, I've already got my profile picture and signature :D
    2edmhdx.png

mh4zuf.png
    Xana8UForum_Lurker
  • cutiebotcutiebot
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    so is this whole thing still being considered?
    Bamboozler
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    cutiebot wrote: »
    so is this whole thing still being considered?

I feel like it was forgotten about once the game got closer to release. Hopefully after all the events end on November 8th, there will be more time for staff to think about this.

I'm still waiting for the option to use in-game characters as forum avatars. I remember it being discussed as an option months ago.
    cutiebot
  • SahriSahri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    Agreed. Having custom avatar gives you a sense of individuality.
    Sometimes I remember forum users simply by their avatar alone! X-D

There are some security concerns on allowing Maplers to use custom avatars, even if it's hosted by imgur etc.

However, our team is trying to see if we can have your avatars tied to your in-game character! We will see if this can be applied (it's a bit tough to implement). But we won't be able to add this feature until official launch since this is when characters are not wiped.

You are allowing us to use our own profile pictures in the game, yet you will not allow us to have a custom avatar. I find that to be quite contradicting.