Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

The Ultimate Archer Guide [Updated 2018-10-16]

Comments

• DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,195
    edited 11:13PM July 18, 2018
    Last CBT, I followed the mobbing build in this guide entirely. This time, I'm doing more experimenting from 1-50 and trying to see if there are other things I like. I may end up scrapping the bossing/mobbing builds from 1-50 and use a single more well-rounded build until 50.
    Golden PigDSdavidDSAlphRyakita
  • SolisSolis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 695
    I hope we don't call it an archer. Seems weak. I want to be a Bowmaster :D
  • Amy_Clyne1Amy_Clyne1
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,310
    Solis wrote: »
    I hope we don't call it an archer. Seems weak. I want to be a Bowmaster :D

But I find it more natural calling it archer because majority of the games used that term :3
  • SapatonaSapatona
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 750
    I still don't know the best setup skills (mainly for party bossing). Sharp Eyes really give me the impression that I'm criting way more, but I guess it's just in my head. I hate screwdriver shot, feels like im losing a few seconds of Rapid Shot. Eagle Majesty SP regen is amazing, it let me go Rapid Shot non stop from affar for 30s. About the passives I didn't notice any difference with or without it.
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Sapatona wrote: »
    I still don't know the best setup skills (mainly for party bossing). Sharp Eyes really give me the impression that I'm criting way more, but I guess it's just in my head. I hate screwdriver shot, feels like im losing a few seconds of Rapid Shot. Eagle Majesty SP regen is amazing, it let me go Rapid Shot non stop from affar for 30s. About the passives I didn't notice any difference with or without it.

Try shooting at practice dummies with different skill builds to get a real sense of how much damage you're doing.
  • DSdavidDSDSdavidDS
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Sapatona wrote: »

Try shooting at practice dummies with different skill builds to get a real sense of how much damage you're doing.
    Where are the training dummies?

Also, looking forward to the next build you try out.
  • IuxIux
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 535
    Training dummies in most guild house.

Anyone having success in pvp? I'm top 30 but I feel so weak against other range class like HG/Assassins. Can't seem to do anything to them.

On the other hand I completely beat zerkers/knights/priest
    DSdavidDS
  • BluclueBluclue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,190
    At this point is there any recommended PVE(raid) build for archer?
    Nessiesan
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    I've just updated this guide based on all of the data we collected during CBT 2, just in time for the Head Start! Rather than two separate builds for early game bossing and mobbing, the guide now has a single build for the early game, based not only on the fact that Arrow Barrage can be clunky, and the movement it offers is sometimes unwanted, but also the fact that most players spend their early game doing the Epic Quests, which means a build optimized for bosses is better.

The guide also now goes all the way to level 87, which is the equivalent of level 60 and 27 bonus skill points. Beyond that, and player preference takes precedent over min-maxing, though there are some basic guidelines for post-87 at the end of the guide.

If anyone sees any issues with the guide, or otherwise has any comments or concerns, please, as always, let me know! This will always be a continuous work in progress. :)
    Meowren
  • KallasKallas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 930
    I've just updated this guide based on all of the data we collected during CBT 2, just in time for the Head Start! Rather than two separate builds for early game bossing and mobbing, the guide now has a single build for the early game, based not only on the fact that Arrow Barrage can be clunky, and the movement it offers is sometimes unwanted, but also the fact that most players spend their early game doing the Epic Quests, which means a build optimized for bosses is better.

The guide also now goes all the way to level 87, which is the equivalent of level 60 and 27 bonus skill points. Beyond that, and player preference takes precedent over min-maxing, though there are some basic guidelines for post-87 at the end of the guide.

If anyone sees any issues with the guide, or otherwise has any comments or concerns, please, as always, let me know! This will always be a continuous work in progress. :)

I don't get why you saying its equivalent of level 60 with 27 extra points lol.
    Should make a level 60 guide :P
    I recently invested heavily into Agile Archer, I took the points from Precision Shot and Screwdriver.
    Arrow Storm, Rapid Shot, Sharp Eyes, Conditioning and Agile Archer are all maxed. 1 point in Eagle and the two other abilities stated above.
  • RivalunRivalun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    edited 2:43PM October 14, 2018
    I'm personally liking putting as much points as I could into Precision Shot and Screwdriver. I feel like it does more damage as you can use it during the dex buff from the eagle while you wait to get some spirit recovery for Rapid Shot. With Screwdriver Shot hitting really hard if it crits it has a higher dps reach imo while potentially also having a lower one if you miss. It's kind of a higher risk approach for dps when it comes to bosses. Also Arrow Storm can be risky if the boss has a lot of movement and seems bugged on this patch being unable to be charged.
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    edited 6:18AM October 15, 2018
    @Rivalun I've actually been doing a lot of experimenting with Screwdriver Shot. It was unfortunately pretty weak when the level cap was 50 because of how few points we could put into it, but now that we can almost max it, I'm inclined to do so before Agile Archer. It depends a lot on the enemies you're fighting. A chaos dungeon, for example, will require more piercing than the epic questline.

You're not the only one, either. A lot of high-level archers I've talked to agree that Screwdriver Shot has been underappreciated. I've done crits of over 200k damage. The unfortunate part is the fact that you need to max both Screwdriver Shot and Precision Shooter, which is even more points than it takes to unlock and max Agile Archer. We won't be able to get that many points back until level 78.

I'll play with it a little more, but there's a good chance I'll extend the current solo and party builds past where they currently end, and change it to a bossing/non-bossing split, where bossing has you max Agile Archer, and the other has you max Screwdriver Shot + Precision Shooter.

EDIT: I'll also be adding gear and gemstones and bonus attributes soon. :)
    SilverSkyway
  • EnekaEneka
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
  • AlphAlph
    @Rivalun I've actually been doing a lot of experimenting with Screwdriver Shot. It was unfortunately pretty weak when the level cap was 50 because of how few points we could put into it, but now that we can almost max it, I'm inclined to do so before Agile Archer. It depends a lot on the enemies you're fighting. A chaos dungeon, for example, will require more piercing than the epic questline.

You're not the only one, either. A lot of high-level archers I've talked to agree that Screwdriver Shot has been underappreciated. I've done crits of over 200k damage. The unfortunate part is the fact that you need to max both Screwdriver Shot and Precision Shooter, which is even more points than it takes to unlock and max Agile Archer. We won't be able to get that many points back until level 78.

I'll play with it a little more, but there's a good chance I'll extend the current solo and party builds past where they currently end, and change it to a bossing/non-bossing split, where bossing has you max Agile Archer, and the other has you max Screwdriver Shot + Precision Shooter.

EDIT: I'll also be adding gear and gemstones and bonus attributes soon. :)

So the general consensus right now is that the Agile Archer build has an slight edge on the Screwdriver Shooter build?

Also, pierce + boss dmg are the best attributes to look for on your epic weapon right?
  • TwotrickponyTwotrickpony
    Hi, what about defense? Which one should we focus on? I'm pretty weak when it comes to magic mobs! Haha! But I see reduction stats as well.. so which is which? :s

Awesome guide btw! Thanks!!
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    @Eneka, I'll add some images of finished builds at each stage, but basically, at max SP, you should have Rapid Shot, Arrow Storm, Conditioning, Screwdriver Shot, and Precision Shooter maxed, in that order. You need one point in Evasive Salvo and one in Bronze Eagle. Any leftovers can go to Sharp Eyes first, and Bronze Eagle second.

@Alph, Agile Archer is great in chaos raids, and you should definitely max it whenever you attempt a chaos raid. Outside of that one scenario, most mobs don't have enough defense to warrant high amounts of piercing, and it really goes to waste. For that reason, you're better off going with Screwdriver Shot in all other situations.

I'll be adding a gear section to the guide very soon, hopefully, but yes, piercing, boss damage, and total damage are the three best attributes for gear.

@Twotrickpony, if you feel like you need more defense, don't try to get it as bonus attributes on your gear. What you should do is enchant your armour. Just be aware that it won't make a huge difference in the end. If you don't already have full epic armour, that's really your priority.

The reason you shouldn't get defensive stats as bonus attributes is because people will expect you to have nothing but damage, damage, and more damage, especially the later you go in the game. By the time you get to chaos raids, you're really going to struggle to compete with anyone else if you're worried about defensive stats. If you're dying to enemies, your priority should be to learn how to avoid their attacks, rather than assuming you're going to get hit and need to survive the damage. Most attacks from enemies and bosses alike are avoidable, and there are some bosses, even in Hard Adventure dungeons, that don't deal any guaranteed damage. Pyrros Fard, for example, can theoretically be beaten without any party members taking any damage.

I hope that helps!
    TwotrickponyAlph
    @Eneka, I'll add some images of finished builds at each stage, but basically, at max SP, you should have Rapid Shot, Arrow Storm, Conditioning, Screwdriver Shot, and Precision Shooter maxed, in that order. You need one point in Evasive Salvo and one in Bronze Eagle. Any leftovers can go to Sharp Eyes first, and Bronze Eagle second.

@Alph, Agile Archer is great in chaos raids, and you should definitely max it whenever you attempt a chaos raid. Outside of that one scenario, most mobs don't have enough defense to warrant high amounts of piercing, and it really goes to waste. For that reason, you're better off going with Screwdriver Shot in all other situations.

I'll be adding a gear section to the guide very soon, hopefully, but yes, piercing, boss damage, and total damage are the three best attributes for gear.

@Twotrickpony, if you feel like you need more defense, don't try to get it as bonus attributes on your gear. What you should do is enchant your armour. Just be aware that it won't make a huge difference in the end. If you don't already have full epic armour, that's really your priority.

The reason you shouldn't get defensive stats as bonus attributes is because people will expect you to have nothing but damage, damage, and more damage, especially the later you go in the game. By the time you get to chaos raids, you're really going to struggle to compete with anyone else if you're worried about defensive stats. If you're dying to enemies, your priority should be to learn how to avoid their attacks, rather than assuming you're going to get hit and need to survive the damage. Most attacks from enemies and bosses alike are avoidable, and there are some bosses, even in Hard Adventure dungeons, that don't deal any guaranteed damage. Pyrros Fard, for example, can theoretically be beaten without any party members taking any damage.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for explaining it thoroughly!! <3
  • AlphAlph

I hope that helps!
    Thanks for the response and explanation. Also, DrYoshiYahu, I would like to thank you for setting this guide and thread up in general. Really useful to check out uring the cbts and now the updated version at release. I don't post too much but I follow Archer builds and strategizing closely.
  • TygeraTygera
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 310
    This guide is full of a lot of information - but I find it very hard coming here at max level looking for a build template. It's extremely tedious, nearly impossible to go through every level and assign skill points with your layout.

Would you possibly add a build calculator, or screen shot of some Solo vs Party/Raid builds with current max skill points? Thanks
    DanDK
    People been telling me that Physical Piercing matters too, should we choose Critical Damage/Rate over it?