Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

[SUGGESTIONS] UGC Weapon Template Ideas

Comments

• CylilCylil
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,670
    k3lly wrote: »
    Here are some ideas for Wizard Staff
    if you are interested I can make them more detailed and with different views :)
    Screenshot_16.png

I like the concepts, but I'm not soo sure they translate into blank UGC templates very well.
    I feel the models need to be a lot more simpler.
    ZacharieKimDarnHyenaLumièrecyuubii
  • ChrosChros
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,610
    edited 5:15PM October 19, 2018
    Acsoul wrote: »
    In a perfect world... transparency on UGC.

As nice as that would be, I don't think its possible with modern technology. As far as I know, at least.
    The game would literally have to delete part of the template model in order for that to happen.

All we can do for now is fill blank space with BLACK and hope whatever map you're in is dark enough to hide it.
  • TamieTamie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,460
    edited 5:15PM October 19, 2018
    Cylil wrote: »
    Screenshot_16.png

I like the concepts, but I'm not soo sure they translate into blank UGC templates very well.

This is right. Texture and volumen can be applied later when designing the UGC.
  • torimisutorimisu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,245
    torimisu wrote: »
    For those of you asking for transparency: I don't think on weapons you'd get the result you're looking for. Not to be a downer but the weapon templates as of now aren't 2D so even if you used an alpha channel to mask off parts of a model, there'd still be a gaping hole in the design (plus you'd still see the specularity/shine over the "missing" part of the design). In addition, adding an alpha/transparency map would essentially double the file load for UGC.
    Transparency maps might work for clothing however because the base model exists under clothing models. The file load still applies.
    To be honest, the first thing I'd be asking for if it was even possible is a specularity map (to make parts of a design glossy/shiny and other parts matte).
    But that's just my two cents! being able to recreate the shape/silhouette of a template model is a fantastic idea but it can only really be accomplished through displacement maps (which I don't know if these are even used in MS2) or just a new model.

(Most of this is speculation though. I don't know what the devs have up their sleeves.)

I don't know much about the internal workings of gamebryo (Maplestory 2's engine), but for a bit of insight on how modern engines work, you can't have opaque objects that are translucent, and you can't have translucent objects that are fully opaque. The main issue stems from the fact that you would have two different shader passes that behave very differently for each type of object. For that reason and a few others, it means that UGC assets will never support translucency.

That being said there is absolutely no excuse for why we cant provide our own roughness channel packed in the alpha of our textures.

As I mentioned in a few other places I'm a professional technical artist and this kind of stuff is my bread and butter.

Ah gotcha! thanks for the slight clarity, I'm a little less on the tech side and more on the art side of game design (and only recently graduated) so I'm definitely not the best with lingo etc.

It'd be really awesome to have roughness/spec maps, I just assumed it would be an extra load somewhere. I'd be elated to do some shiny decals on stuff!
  • MrPlinkettMrPlinkett
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 885
    Knight should honestly have better templates like swords with cross-guards along with kite and tower shields. The current sword mesh along with the heater shield has problems as far as how limited you really are with a plank-like sword and a shield type that only works for two-tone designs and patterns.
  • FoxBoxFoxBox
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    Greatswords:
    I really like the designs torimisu suggested for the Greatswords and would be great for all UGC creators!
    But what I would like to see is Hammers (I really want to have a rocket-propelled Hammers specifically, but having giant hammers in general) and Battle Axes! give us something other than a giant sword (or giant block of tofu, refering to the current UGC model for Greatsword)

Also Hammer time....
  • ZenumistZenumist
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 685
    edited 10:15PM October 19, 2018
    dBES3Wt.png

Greatsword. Quick shitty sketch. Hope it gets the point across.
    HaviciNeo
  • k3llyk3lly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,505
    Screenshot_16.png

Ooh I misunderstood
    I thought they were looking for skins designs
  • iNeoiNeo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    edited 3:44AM October 20, 2018
    X5I2FOz.png
    Few quick sketches I did for Greatsword ideas
  • SmellyMellySmellyMelly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 890
    Bizu wrote: »
    Hahahaha Greatswords at #3.

At least Priest and Wizards are getting something better than box-on-a-stick.

Can we have a poll on UGC thieves next

Lol, that box on a stick template.
  • SmellyMellySmellyMelly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 890
    Poofcat wrote: »
    If major changes to shape are permitted I think that would free up a lot of options especially for Priest codexes!

dZ7m3dJ.png

I love these designs!
  • CylilCylil
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,670
    Ooh I misunderstood

Ahh, that makes more sense.
    They look like good designs though, and definitely would like to see such sorta staffs/wands in the future.
    (here's hopin' ^^)
  • GoldiGoldi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    when it comes to simple ugc designs for staffs/scepters, i feel like just sticking a box on a stick is limiting, and it can be hard to work with overly complicated models, so i made two simple sketches of what would be a nice and simple addition to add some more variety. zoRKb6h.png
    Zintack
  • GoldiGoldi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    * i forgot to add! stars/hearts/ diamond shapes on top would be super nice and super adorable for the scepter/staff !
  • Sir_AshtonSir_Ashton
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    I honestly back you guys on also implementing existing templates from other weapons. However; I do think that the magical girl designs are a bit too much? Probably need a more basic design? They do look super cool though ! :D
  • 3Rton3Rton
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    edited 4:40PM October 21, 2018
    Ideally any item would be possible to use as template... Not like you have to do anything else except enable it and render a blank UV template with wireframe
    I guess I'd like for more throwing star templates, though. The current one is pretty lame compared to the throwing stars that have dropped so far. (shape wise)
    Still the amount of customization in this game is really promising... I just hope we don't end up losing it all. Reported +30 UGC violations just today...

Can someone confirm, though, all the actually development is still done by NSquare in SK, right? (NA and EU -lmao like there is EU staff- is mostly just management and community people?)
    EDIT: btw there seems to be no way to go back to editing after pressing the "preview" button next to post comment button..?
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    A big issue I see with the UGC designs is that anyone who actually wants to do anything with UGC on weapons has the same thought: I wish I could model this myself.

To that end, My only REALLY good idea for weapon templates in the current form are Roadsigns. Give everyone a stick they can put an image on (ala Tf2's Conscientious Objector).
  • BottyBotty
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 905
    Forum Moderator
    Screenshot_16.png

Ooh I misunderstood

I sure hope they make your ideas into actual skins...I would literally buy every single one of them >.< So adorable
    ElaoriPixalatek3lly
  • NibboNibbo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 910
    edited 5:34AM October 22, 2018
    For Priest/Wizard or actually all weapons, I wish there was a system where you can choose the type of stick and also orb/blade that you want. Like you make a few alternatives for each and we can choose which of them we want to use for our weapons. I'll make a sketch of it and edit it in here!

Basically this would need a premade template for each alternative, but I think it would be amazing for us to be able to stand out a bit from the others' creations and it would really allow us to be creative with this system. I honestly wouldnt mind this for all of the clothes!
    Elaori
  • cosmikcosmik
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    Nibbo wrote: »
    For Priest/Wizard or actually all weapons, I wish there was a system where you can choose the type of stick and also orb/blade that you want. Like you make a few alternatives for each and we can choose which of them we want to use for our weapons. I'll make a sketch of it and edit it in here!

Basically this would need a premade template for each alternative, but I think it would be amazing for us to be able to stand out a bit from the others' creations and it would really allow us to be creative with this system. I honestly wouldnt mind this for all of the clothes!

I think this is a great idea!