Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Elixirs can now be bought with Merets. P2W topic.

KupoNutKupoNut
MapleStory 2 Rep: 725
edited 5:11AM October 19, 2018 in General Chat
So it looks as those that recently Elixirs, which restore half of your health per elixir, can be purchased in the Meret Market.

Nexon, you were doing very well keeping your non-p2w (pay to win) promise until this point.

Regardless of my view on whether p2w elements in a game are good or not good, what scares me is that this is a direct conflict to Nexon's promise that GMS 2 would not be p2w.

I'm including a poll just so there can be some feedback from the community.

Also, though I doubt there will be a response, I wish I could see a response from the MS2 CM's on this subject.
  1. Should Elixirs remain in the Meret Market?114 votes
    1. Yes, I want Elixirs that can be purchased with Merets.
       25% (29 votes)
    2. No, take them away from the Meret Market.
       32% (37 votes)
    3. I don't have an opinion on this subject.
       42% (48 votes)

Comments

• shokiliciousshokilicious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,400
    They can be bought since headstart. Nothing new. Was just that somehow nobody cared that people push dark decent with them and thus have an p2w advantage.
  • ShawnyyShawnyy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,120
    This has ALWAYS been there you just never looked. There’s nothing wrong with an HP pot being sold for merets. Like holy Jesus the p2w witch hunt continues
    AzurepatkoolsaifAieHeartdonorKitsuru
  • SiIverSiIver
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 980
    Who cares honestly? I got so many potions from the current event that I won't have to buy any for the next few months.
  • BatislackBatislack
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,805
    edited 4:37AM October 19, 2018
    SiIver wrote: »
    Who cares honestly? I got so many potions from the current event that I won't have to buy any for the next few months.
    Elixirs aren't potions.
    While in most content potions are just as good as elixirs, in the shadow world, elixirs are the only effective way to heal. So whoever has elixirs to spare has an advantage in PvP.

As it stands however, it is possible to get enough elixirs/mini-elixirs in a free to play way to keep up with the requirement in the shadow world, so long as you make use of the healing shrines.
    Gricely
  • Techn0mancerTechn0mancer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
    p2w? I'm about the most staunch anti p2w guy out there, but this.... this is not pay to win. Is having a priest in your party an unfair p2w advantage if a party paid for the priest?

Is there some kind of advantage from killing other players in the shadowlands currently? I've only been there a handful of times myself, killed a couple of people, died once myself, but that's about all I know about it.
  • KupoNutKupoNut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 725
    edited 5:10AM October 19, 2018
    Shawnyy wrote: »
    This has ALWAYS been there you just never looked. There’s nothing wrong with an HP pot being sold for merets. Like holy Jesus the p2w witch hunt continues

If you can use these elixirs during chaos raids, hard dungeons, and pvp, then there is everything wrong with them. It means people who don't buy merets will not have access to the floodgates of immediate healing that those who buy merets do.

On top of that, these are percent based healing. Which means that they will always be relevant and better over regular potions that only do a set number of healing.

I think you are diminishing the issue when this issue needs to be raised. :/
    UllDanDK
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,730
    how is it a p2w? its fairly useless and dark descent it wouldnt even help. because you get oneshot by majority of the monsters.
  • HosuHosu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,655
    KupoNut wrote: »

If you can use these elixirs during chaos raids, hard dungeons, and pvp, then there is everything wrong with them. It means people who don't buy merets will not have access to the floodgates of immediate healing that those who buy merets do.

On top of that, these are percent based healing. Which means that they will always be relevant and better over regular potions that only do a set number of healing.

Your argument is predicated off the assumption that elixirs are both necessary for content and also not available to the f2p market. This is not true. I still have a large stack sitting in my inventory without a single meret being put towards them, and I rarely use them, if at all.

For shadowlands, I stick close to the safe points for free healing, and I usually buddy up with a priest for actual portals, which makes pots lose all meaning. I can't comment on PvP as I don't enjoy or participate in open-world and the actual 1v1 mode is disabled atm, but for hard dungeons, they are really not necessary. I rely much more on herbs to counteract damage over time effects and any chip damage I may take here or there. In emergencies, the 800 and 1200 HP pots work fine for when I derp out and eat a Fire Dragon blast to my face.

If someone is bad enough that they need to shell out merets to buy HP consumables, spam it as if this it MS1 and clear content that way, then let them; its money that keeps the game running. All that matters is there is no content that absolutely forces you to use elixirs, and it's not like elixirs (or their alternatives) are locked out for the F2P population.
  • KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    Shadow World PvP gives no rewards, and spending elixirs on random mobs is a waste of money. You have infinite revives with no penalties, what is there you need to heal for?

This issue doesn't need to be raised. This is not breaking the game, and no one has cared up to this point. Hell, they've been in the meret shop since CBT1. What are you trying to gain from this? Get out of here with your witch-hunting self.
  • PinkFoxxyPinkFoxxy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,090
    when youre a priest so you dgaf
    TseneSonnenlicht
  • LuciannLuciann
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 920
    Elixers are not exclusive to the cash shop. You can literally get them from world bosses and other activities. This is not pay to win.
  • MizaruMizaru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    SiIver wrote: »

I agree with this. At this point I have enough HP pots, elixirs etc. to last for at least half a year. IMO that's far from p2w and I really can't imagine why anyone would buy them. But if someone indeed wants to use merets to buy them, why not?
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Hosu wrote: »
    KupoNut wrote: »

Your argument is predicated off the assumption that elixirs are both necessary for content and also not available to the f2p market. This is not true. I still have a large stack sitting in my inventory without a single meret being put towards them, and I rarely use them, if at all.

For shadowlands, I stick close to the safe points for free healing, and I usually buddy up with a priest for actual portals, which makes pots lose all meaning. I can't comment on PvP as I don't enjoy or participate in open-world and the actual 1v1 mode is disabled atm, but for hard dungeons, they are really not necessary. I rely much more on herbs to counteract damage over time effects and any chip damage I may take here or there. In emergencies, the 800 and 1200 HP pots work fine for when I derp out and eat a Fire Dragon blast to my face.

If someone is bad enough that they need to shell out merets to buy HP consumables, spam it as if this it MS1 and clear content that way, then let them; its money that keeps the game running. All that matters is there is no content that absolutely forces you to use elixirs, and it's not like elixirs (or their alternatives) are locked out for the F2P population.

It doesn't matter if they're necessary it matters if they give an advantage or not which they obviously do if it gives an advantage in any shape or form it's P2W.
    UllDanDK
  • Lima3241Lima3241
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 625
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they're necessary it matters if they give an advantage or not which they obviously do if it gives an advantage in any shape or form it's P2W.

How is it “pay to win” if no one is paying for something you can get for free? Like think about it for a second, in a game about cosmetics, who is going to spend real money on potions?

PvP? Hahaha

Dungeons/raids? Hahaha no, it’s what priests are for and even if you don’t have a priest, it’s what learning mechanics is for so you don’t need to heal.

Really now, does anyone here know anyone who’s bought the elixirs from the premium shop?

Lastly, this isn’t even anywhere near being remotely “pay to win”
  • FlylowFlylow
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    Were you blind all during headstart and first week? These have been in the meret market since the beginning.
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Lima3241 wrote: »
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »

How is it “pay to win” if no one is paying for something you can get for free? Like think about it for a second, in a game about cosmetics, who is going to spend real money on potions?

PvP? Hahaha

Dungeons/raids? Hahaha no, it’s what priests are for and even if you don’t have a priest, it’s what learning mechanics is for so you don’t need to heal.

Really now, does anyone here know anyone who’s bought the elixirs from the premium shop?

Lastly, this isn’t even anywhere near being remotely “pay to win”

Pay to win is anything that gives an advantage if you pay over somebody who doesn't elixirs fall into that definition 100%. Sure you can get it for free, but it's going to take you a lot longer than the person who did pay for it that's an advantage. Let's take star wars battlefront 2 for example you could get anything for free, but it took longer than anybody else who paid and they came with advantages. Sure it's not essential to have these things, but those who do buy them have an advantage over those who don't.

If "nobody" is paying for those elixirs like you claim they aren't then why is it on the store? Because they're selling that's why. Downplaying them doesn't make them not P2W. Simple question yes or no are you able to progress through the game faster and have advantages in it with these elixirs? The only thing you have given is "they're not a big deal" which doesn't change what they are they're still P2W.

DanDK
  • JointJoint
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,515
    edited 1:06PM October 19, 2018
    My God everything has to be extreme p2w to you guys. Seriously there is really nothing that wrong about selling hp pots in the shop compared to other p2w items they could be selling. There are even some people crying p2w about cosmetic items too and simple p2w actions like helicopters and a bit of exp/mesos boosts. You need to realize that this game as with all f2p mmos need to have some sort of p2w in them. They can't just remove everything from the game and give them all out for free. You basically just want this game to be 100% free with out any ways of giving Nexon profit. That just can't happen and somehow someone will be in the disadvantage in something whether it's gear or cosmetics or something else. Basically as the saying goes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Just stop crying out wolf when there is something that gives off a bit of p2w in the game. Otherwise this game will basically be no more since pretty soon Nexon will put limits on every single thing in the game and the player base will eventually start to hate it. Thus end up quitting the game and forcing Nexon to shut down the game due to lack of profit. Also these elixirs can be received fairly easily through in game events like the maple coin event right now. You can also get tons more pots through events. So no this not a huge game breaking action you are crying about.

I can make a huge deal out of people dressing up there house with all those merit based items from the shop and claim that is p2w since it affects me because I am unable to get my house looking that good. Not really but as you can see you can basically twist anything into p2w going by your definition of someone having an advantage over someone else.
  • Ecchym0sisEcchym0sis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 970
    You're "complaining" about HP potions in the meret shop.... really? This has to be a troll...
    Ideghallia
  • EternalxEternalx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,905
    Might as well delete priests as well ... holy. People complain about everything.
    Ideghallia
  • HashtagHealsHashtagHeals
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 925
    Elixirs have been able to be purchased with merits since headstart. But, at the same time you obtain a ton of them via other routes ingame. So not really p2w.