Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Toggle the Mature Language Filter

JTIGJTIG
MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
Posts: 3
Member
in Suggestions and Feedback
To have a game that is as risque with its character models as MapleStory 2 (see: Vanilla and Mint), and not be allowed to swear is strange. Can we please have a toggle option to disable the mature language filter? Keep it on by default, of course.
NikynoonooXXXTHOTACIONAbsolutelyNotAgent_Dragonfury

Comments

  • MommaMakoMommaMako
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,275
    Posts: 84
    Member
    it's also really annoying when you get censored for using a word that happens to contain words that happen to contain those words...
    LiquorJTIGNikynoonoo
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    MommaMako wrote: »
    it's also really annoying when you get censored for using a word that happens to contain words that happen to contain those words...

    What cl*** are you?

    In all seriousness it would be nice to have a toggle for the adults we prefer our grown up talk.
    TheCinderJTIGMommaMako
  • TheCinderTheCinder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 7
    Member
    edited 7:51PM October 15, 2018
    Is that how the swear filter is right now? I haven't used the chat much (I've mostly been playing on voice chat with friends) so I wouldn't know. But even if they don't add an option to turn off the filter, it would be helpful then to find a way to fix the unnecessary censoring issue. I wouldn't want to have my words blocked out when I talk about hiring assistants, the assassin class, or addressing someone who's user name is Lassie for example.

    Though, there's also having to consider how tricky making a perfect swear filter is for online games. I don't know of any game yet that has quite mastered it.

    Though I think actually with the option to turn off a swear filter, that people may be less encouraged to find creative ways to get around said filter and would just turn the filter off. This could actually make it so that kids or swear avoiding people who are playing would see less swears. There may be people who don't care and still get around the swear filter to make other people who shouldn't be seeing swears see swears though, but there would at least be less of them.

    But overall I'm just not sure if adding the option to remove the swear filter is a good idea. A whole age restriction thing may have to be put in place to keep kids from accessing that option, and this is supposed to be a friendly game anyways. Not one that could possibly encourage a community to grow toxic.
    NikynoonooJTIGZitian
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    TheCinder wrote: »
    Is that how the swear filter is right now? I haven't used the chat much (I've mostly been playing on voice chat with friends) so I wouldn't know. But even if they don't add an option to turn off the filter, it would be helpful then to find a way to fix the unnecessary censoring issue. I wouldn't want to have my words blocked out when I talk about hiring assistants, the assassin class, or addressing someone who's user name is Lassie for example.

    Though, there's also having to consider how tricky making a perfect swear filter is for online games. I don't know of any game yet that has quite mastered it.

    Though I think actually with the option to turn off a swear filter, that people may be less encouraged to find creative ways to get around said filter and would just turn the filter off. This could actually make it so that kids or swear avoiding people who are playing would see less swears. There may be people who don't care and still get around the swear filter to make other people who shouldn't be seeing swears see swears though, but there would at least be less of them.

    But overall I'm just not sure if adding the option to remove the swear filter is a good idea. A whole age restriction thing may have to be put in place to keep kids from accessing that option, and this is supposed to be a friendly game anyways. Not one that could possibly encourage a community to grow toxic.

    That's why we want an option to turn it off so that the kids can have it but we can actually talk without censors like the example I gave above (it actually does that). I have a really hard time accepting the whole "for the children" argument because you literally are blasted with oversexualized characters the moment you pick your class, characters in game with serious cleavage, billboards that anybody can post on, and the choke me daddy hats that were advertised on the world channel and that isn't censored so kind of fighting a losing battle here. You really think kids aren't exposed to swear words before maplestory 2? Not trying to be rude or anything, but saying it's doing anything for the kids is being naive when you actually look at what's going on in the game.

    JTIG
  • TheCinderTheCinder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 7
    Member
    edited 8:51PM October 15, 2018
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    That's why we want an option to turn it off so that the kids can have it but we can actually talk without censors like the example I gave above (it actually does that). I have a really hard time accepting the whole "for the children" argument because you literally are blasted with oversexualized characters the moment you pick your class, characters in game with serious cleavage, billboards that anybody can post on, and the choke me daddy hats that were advertised on the world channel and that isn't censored so kind of fighting a losing battle here. You really think kids aren't exposed to swear words before maplestory 2? Not trying to be rude or anything, but saying it's doing anything for the kids is being naive when you actually look at what's going on in the game.

    I said friendly, not family friendly. I probably should have worded that better though. I'm well aware of the suggestive stuff shown in MS2, but that's not what I was talking about. I meant how some people might take the opportunity to throw every swear they can at people just to make them upset or the possibility that things would accidentally encourage more bannable behavior than there is already when people realise they can speak offensively all they want when they're salty about something. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just fear communities becoming something akin to ones in other multiplayer games I play.

    Edit: Should also mention that in terms of mentioning censoring things for kids, I'm trying to consider what the goals may be from Nexon's perspective on the swear filter, since many companies with games allowing all ages to play seem to focus on censoring swears from children.
    Eekvolem
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    edited 8:59PM October 15, 2018
    TheCinder wrote: »
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    That's why we want an option to turn it off so that the kids can have it but we can actually talk without censors like the example I gave above (it actually does that). I have a really hard time accepting the whole "for the children" argument because you literally are blasted with oversexualized characters the moment you pick your class, characters in game with serious cleavage, billboards that anybody can post on, and the choke me daddy hats that were advertised on the world channel and that isn't censored so kind of fighting a losing battle here. You really think kids aren't exposed to swear words before maplestory 2? Not trying to be rude or anything, but saying it's doing anything for the kids is being naive when you actually look at what's going on in the game.

    I said friendly, not family friendly. I probably should have worded that better though. I'm well aware of the suggestive stuff shown in MS2, but that's not what I was talking about. I meant how some people might take the opportunity to throw every swear they can at people just to make them upset or the possibility that things would accidentally encourage more bannable behavior than there is already when people realise they can speak offensively all they want when they're salty about something. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just fear communities becoming something akin to ones in other multiplayer games I play.

    I mean there isn't really anything stopping them from doing that now you can get around the filter. I see what you're saying, but to me people are people if you treat them like children they will act like them and not in the innocent way they're hoping for. If a person is salty about something they're going to swear because they've already crossed the point of no return they don't care what happens if something makes them mad enough. I'm a strong supporter of treating people like adults which means not blocking their speaking privileges, but if they really want something for the kids they could just have the chat filter have a password to take it off that a parent could know.

    At the very least we shouldn't be filtered in a guild chat if I'm in an adult guild I want to talk as an adult.

    Edit: In response to that last part the idea I suggested could fix that, but if they are censoring swears from children who is that protecting exactly? Adults? They don't care there is an ignore feature for annoying people.
    JTIG
  • TheCinderTheCinder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    I mean there isn't really anything stopping them from doing that now you can get around the filter. I see what you're saying, but to me people are people if you treat them like children they will act like them and not in the innocent way they're hoping for. If a person is salty about something they're going to swear because they've already crossed the point of no return they don't care what happens if something makes them mad enough. I'm a strong supporter of treating people like adults which means not blocking their speaking privileges, but if they really want something for the kids they could just have the chat filter have a password to take it off that a parent could know.

    At the very least we shouldn't be filtered in a guild chat if I'm in an adult guild I want to talk as an adult.

    Edit: In response to that last part the idea I suggested could fix that, but if they are censoring swears from children who is that protecting exactly? Adults? They don't care there is an ignore feature for annoying people.

    I get that. I agree it would make more sense to allow people to make their choices and have them face consequences if it came to, rather than putting in a pacifier that restricts them. Everyone should be treated like an adult, or else they will feel like they are not being included or taken seriously.

    I may just have to try easing my grown distrust of the general human population because I also would like to see something changed about the swear filter without need of fear.

    And yeah, I dunno. The general consensus by people seems to be "Children aren't allowed to be exposed to swears until they're older". I believe it's to keep kids from growing up into sailors but from observation and experience that doesn't really affect much if at all.
    Nikynoonoo
  • LiquorLiquor
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Post: 1
    Member
    MommaMako wrote: »
    it's also really annoying when you get censored for using a word that happens to contain words that happen to contain those words...

    Like Chardonnay...
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    TheCinder wrote: »
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    I mean there isn't really anything stopping them from doing that now you can get around the filter. I see what you're saying, but to me people are people if you treat them like children they will act like them and not in the innocent way they're hoping for. If a person is salty about something they're going to swear because they've already crossed the point of no return they don't care what happens if something makes them mad enough. I'm a strong supporter of treating people like adults which means not blocking their speaking privileges, but if they really want something for the kids they could just have the chat filter have a password to take it off that a parent could know.

    At the very least we shouldn't be filtered in a guild chat if I'm in an adult guild I want to talk as an adult.

    Edit: In response to that last part the idea I suggested could fix that, but if they are censoring swears from children who is that protecting exactly? Adults? They don't care there is an ignore feature for annoying people.

    I get that. I agree it would make more sense to allow people to make their choices and have them face consequences if it came to, rather than putting in a pacifier that restricts them. Everyone should be treated like an adult, or else they will feel like they are not being included or taken seriously.

    I may just have to try easing my grown distrust of the general human population because I also would like to see something changed about the swear filter without need of fear.

    And yeah, I dunno. The general consensus by people seems to be "Children aren't allowed to be exposed to swears until they're older". I believe it's to keep kids from growing up into sailors but from observation and experience that doesn't really affect much if at all.

    It seems that way, but we live in an age where kids have access to the internet at an extremely low age there's just no getting around it. Your trust in the general population isn't exactly unfounded world chat pretty much makes it impossible to avoid the bad side of things. I just feel that trying to block swearing in a game like this for everybody is overbearing when I can't even say class in a class based RPG all that does is make me want to lash out.
  • EekvolemEekvolem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730
    Posts: 8
    Member
    I don't believe this is a necessary addition in the slightest.

    You already see people getting past the censors all the time. I see no real need to encourage more inappropriate skirting of the barrier between PG-13 and M rated language. I understand other games have the mature language filter toggle (Trove is one I play), but it's honestly a useless addition to MapleStory 2. After all, MapleStory (the first one) never actually included this feature. There was no reason to back then, and there is no reason to now.

    The only support I see in regards to mature language filter toggles in all children's games, forums, etc. are people (mostly children) wanting to properly swear and be generally very unpleasant towards others, or are annoyed at the very minor inconveniences that the word filter will accidentally catch on a rare occasion.
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    Eekvolem wrote: »
    I don't believe this is a necessary addition in the slightest.

    You already see people getting past the censors all the time. I see no real need to encourage more inappropriate skirting of the barrier between PG-13 and M rated language. I understand other games have the mature language filter toggle (Trove is one I play), but it's honestly a useless addition to MapleStory 2. After all, MapleStory (the first one) never actually included this feature. There was no reason to back then, and there is no reason to now.

    The only support I see in regards to mature language filter toggles in all children's games, forums, etc. are people (mostly children) wanting to properly swear and be generally very unpleasant towards others, or are annoyed at the very minor inconveniences that the word filter will accidentally catch on a rare occasion.

    A rare occasion? I can't ask what somebodies class is in a class based RPG it catches so many things it's ridiculous. What exactly is the harm in having a toggle? Are you really that concerned that somebody is saying a bad word when you have your filter on? Kids aren't stupid they hear them constantly having the option to turn off the filter isn't going to make them magically start swearing more. Swear words aren't even a big deal you can say way worse things that aren't censored which kind of defeats the purpose of the censor doesn't it? We literally throw T and A in childrens faces the moment they create a character we've already gone way past the line of what's appropriate for kids and what isn't.

    It's not an update I would call "necessary", but it would be a nice QoL that is worth talking about implementing in the future.
    JTIG
  • EekvolemEekvolem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730
    Posts: 8
    Member
    edited 10:09PM October 16, 2018
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    A rare occasion? I can't ask what somebodies class is in a class based RPG it catches so many things it's ridiculous. What exactly is the harm in having a toggle? Are you really that concerned that somebody is saying a bad word when you have your filter on? Kids aren't stupid they hear them constantly having the option to turn off the filter isn't going to make them magically start swearing more. Swear words aren't even a big deal you can say way worse things that aren't censored which kind of defeats the purpose of the censor doesn't it? We literally throw T and A in childrens faces the moment they create a character we've already gone way past the line of what's appropriate for kids and what isn't.

    It's not an update I would call "necessary", but it would be a nice QoL that is worth talking about implementing in the future.

    "Class" is a very specific instance. I don't see much use asking what someone's class is (since right clicking to view character exists). Though, if you do need to ask what class someone is, then you can easily convey that message by saying something like, "What type of character do you play?" It's still a minor inconvenience at worst.

    Swearing isn't at all equivalent to a little risque poses and outfits. I honestly didn't even think anything of it when starting the game for myself. It's doubtful that children who see Mint and Vanilla in bunny suits would immediately begin to think about anything inappropriate. While on the other hand, children who see casual swearing all over the chat would be enticed to swear off everyone they see. After all, that's what the cool kids are doing without any risk of banishment.

    I understand "kids know bad words, let them say them." However, this is not how a professional figure looks at these things. What benefit is there to letting just a little rowdy community become an absolute minefield? Is there any reason to allow children to randomly shout out these things in the World and Channel chats without any punishment or any risk for punishment? No, there's not. It's not beneficial or even remotely enticing to spruce up the overall quality of the game, and would only serve to hurt it and the community.

    If you're saying to punish people who swear and still have a mature language toggle: disregard everything. There's absolutely no way MapleStory 2 would have a mature language toggle if there were risk of bans. It'd be absolutely useless to spend development time on in that case, as it'd only satisfy children who would want to learn how to properly curse out their mothers, and would only result in more miscommunication of what is and isn't allowed.

    Edit: I meant to mention the following as well, but the paragraph got lost in the draft saved. My post might seem a tad sinister without it, my bad.

    I do believe that the current filter however could be fixed. I know I mentioned that "class" is specific, but I do understand there are other words that will accidentally get lost within the filter. Hopefully at least the filter could be modified a bit better in the future to properly detect curse words.
  • iAyeCaptainKaiiAyeCaptainKai
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,150
    Posts: 23
    Member
    There should 100% be a toggle. I remember struggling to talk to people in MapleStory 1 and having to type things out very inconveniently.

    Kids who are going to type obscenities are the same ones finding ways to get around the filter in the first place, so I don't see that as a valid argument. And in a lot of cases I feel it'd be for the better that they aren't working around a filter so that the people who have the filter enabled don't have to see it. That's just my opinion though, I don't have statistics to look at.
    NikynoonooTheCinderJTIG
  • LeaffeLeaffe
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Honestly though this isn't nearly as bad as the chat censor OG MS had back in 2003. At least you can actually send the message and have it automatically ***'d out instead of having to guess which word had the naughty in it before being allowed to send it. A toggle would be nice though. However, there was an instance in OG MS several years back where Either purposely or unintentionally turned off the chat filter and iirc they turned it on within 24 hours cause of how bad chat became with people's new found "privileges"
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 116
    Member
    Eekvolem wrote: »
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »
    A rare occasion? I can't ask what somebodies class is in a class based RPG it catches so many things it's ridiculous. What exactly is the harm in having a toggle? Are you really that concerned that somebody is saying a bad word when you have your filter on? Kids aren't stupid they hear them constantly having the option to turn off the filter isn't going to make them magically start swearing more. Swear words aren't even a big deal you can say way worse things that aren't censored which kind of defeats the purpose of the censor doesn't it? We literally throw T and A in childrens faces the moment they create a character we've already gone way past the line of what's appropriate for kids and what isn't.

    It's not an update I would call "necessary", but it would be a nice QoL that is worth talking about implementing in the future.

    "Class" is a very specific instance. I don't see much use asking what someone's class is (since right clicking to view character exists). Though, if you do need to ask what class someone is, then you can easily convey that message by saying something like, "What type of character do you play?" It's still a minor inconvenience at worst.

    Swearing isn't at all equivalent to a little risque poses and outfits. I honestly didn't even think anything of it when starting the game for myself. It's doubtful that children who see Mint and Vanilla in bunny suits would immediately begin to think about anything inappropriate. While on the other hand, children who see casual swearing all over the chat would be enticed to swear off everyone they see. After all, that's what the cool kids are doing without any risk of banishment.

    I understand "kids know bad words, let them say them." However, this is not how a professional figure looks at these things. What benefit is there to letting just a little rowdy community become an absolute minefield? Is there any reason to allow children to randomly shout out these things in the World and Channel chats without any punishment or any risk for punishment? No, there's not. It's not beneficial or even remotely enticing to spruce up the overall quality of the game, and would only serve to hurt it and the community.

    If you're saying to punish people who swear and still have a mature language toggle: disregard everything. There's absolutely no way MapleStory 2 would have a mature language toggle if there were risk of bans. It'd be absolutely useless to spend development time on in that case, as it'd only satisfy children who would want to learn how to properly curse out their mothers, and would only result in more miscommunication of what is and isn't allowed.

    Edit: I meant to mention the following as well, but the paragraph got lost in the draft saved. My post might seem a tad sinister without it, my bad.

    I do believe that the current filter however could be fixed. I know I mentioned that "class" is specific, but I do understand there are other words that will accidentally get lost within the filter. Hopefully at least the filter could be modified a bit better in the future to properly detect curse words.

    Class is just an example you're downplaying just how bad it is in a big way. If you believe kids don't think anything inappropriate right from the character select you are just being dishonest otherwise please tell me why all classes are advertised in female models and not males? Did you even see thief? You keep saying that having a toggle is just going to magically open the floodgates to people swearing and making the community seem worse than it is. I've played games where they have a toggle and guess what they aren't doing what you're describing because they're actually treated as adults if you wanted to be mean to people you wouldn't be using swear words there is far worse things. I'm not asking to punish people just because they said the s word when they lost at ox quiz (which is everybody) I'm saying to let the adults be able to talk without being treated like a child if other people don't want to see the words they can use the filter it's a win win for everybody.

    At the very least I want it to be a toggle a guild can have because when I join an adult guild I want to talk about adult things there is no kids around so I shouldn't have to act like I'm a criminal because I want to talk normally.

    Excuse me as I walk past the billboards with inappropriate stuff, ignore world chat with choke me daddy hats, and talk to oversexualized NPCS.
  • ZitianZitian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    Posts: 11
    Member
    edited 10:11AM October 17, 2018
    Because the Developers made this happen. So why no profanity toggle again? xD

    rOLPZgB.png
    Nikynoonoo