Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Fishing is there a point?

ZakuroZakuro
MapleStory 2 Rep: 435
in Life Skills
So what is the point of fishing, to just spend $ on auto fishing with out any good returns? One makes more meso killing mobs then afk/active fishing. so again what is the point, will fishing get better rewards later on or will it continue like this?
emonekoboy

Comments

• Meno1234Meno1234
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,205
    When you master fishing, you get better exp rewards and you get more mesos along the way, it's just kind of time consuming.
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,490
    With the Mapleopoly event going on that has a chance to give you the auto-gathering voucher, it's a good way to level up from 52 to 60 and get the prestige ranks too along the way.
  • ShadowsBeneaShadowsBenea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,880
    NekoLily wrote: »
    With the Mapleopoly event going on that has a chance to give you the auto-gathering voucher, it's a good way to level up from 52 to 60 and get the prestige ranks too along the way.

It's what I did I'm already level 60 lol!
  • WAtheAnumWAtheAnum
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,285
    edited 6:10PM October 12, 2018
    tbh, im nearly at at the last rang of the fishing rang "way" (should be master if im right? i play it in german so here its called "profi") and i have to say, it kinda "misses" something.

If you do it manual, the extra minigame which sometimes pops up is way to easy and way to simple. they might should bring some more...well "action" to it since its really plain boring.

If you do it automatic, well its just for being "afk". The other problem is also you have to fish in a area of your propper rang or you dont get any fishingskill points (at least not normals ones next to the "pricefishes" and "new fish catched" ones), which means if you dont care, those auto-fishing things can also be quickly wasted.
    Also autofishing, as much as i use it, kinda "ruins" the meaning of fishing, dont you think? I mean sure, you should have patience wile fishing but if you do it manual, it just takes WAY to long and if you do it automatic, its just plain boring coz its just for being afk.

So again, i think it should be something "overworked"/"reworked" since its just plain boring to do. Sure, you have to have a higher fishingrang for some map exploring star missions but so far it feels like "this is all what fishing is for right now" and some of the stars are honestly not worth it coz its also very random how many fishing points you "can" get in the time you are actually fishing

I mean it. Sometimes if youre lucky you can get about 35-50 points in a hour (i used AFK fishing) wile other times you might only got 15-30 points. So maybe they should put away the "randomness" of getting points and bring a system into this which is maybe like every 3. or 5. fish you catch you get 1 point (as sample) so that you dont have this randomness of wasting time, so it feels at least...

Also, they really should make it somewhat "useful" to actually do and not just using it for being afk, which most people do use for it. I mean music, at least, is somewhat fun coz you really "do" something or create something wile fishing is just sitting there, in hope you "get" a fishingskill point or not...
    ValentinyWliaDragonicWolfMiekuJTIG
  • FantasykittenFantasykitten
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,610
    your right its only here to sell auto-fishing vouchers.
    Wlia
  • OxpeckerOxpecker
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 775
    Fishing is just a 'leisure' activity technically. There is a use to it and it can be a bit of a challenge-experience, being that you can challenge yourself to see if you can pull that gold fish, or that epic fish. While not the most exciting of any of the activities you are still bound to earn mesos from it, find some cool outfits, hats, treasure, etc, as you go, and as you get higher in the ranks there are fish/treasure you can earn that will sell for upwards to 1 million mesos. If it's something you enjoy keep at it. :-)
  • FroglordFroglord
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,020
    Fishing was actually really nerfed from being virtually game-breaking.
    In CBT 1, there were magnet lures, and OP magnet Lures that let you fish up to 5 star equipment that that let you get gear scores of about 30k or more.
    PotWliaJTIG
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    It would be a bit better if you could actually sell the fish or cook them.
    WAtheAnumShadowsBeneaShayarahlaWliaAngelicaxoxoKradicalJTIGLastSaturdayHatokaAlchemii
  • HallangreHallangre
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,585
    Fishing is a means of making money AFK (gold fish lures etc). Passive monetary gain and eventual item discovery is inevitable.
    JTIGSpikkle
  • NodaeNodae
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 405
    I will let you know, you can get rare skins supposedly for weapons etc. Through fishing, also with how the game is it may be utilized more later on. Also if you're a achievement Hunter it is another thing to do in the game.
  • ShayarahlaShayarahla
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,170
    Nikynoonoo wrote: »

I never understood the "Hey you have 5392 Ricefish!"... well now what? what do I do with this information??? Even cooking the fish and using them as potions would be a better alternative with careful conversion rates set in place

Fishing is pretty useless ATM aside from trophy hunting, far greater means of making income exist. Idk who the lead fishing designer at Nexon is, but they saw fishing was OP in CB1 and decided to go the polar opposite direction and essentially render it useless
    NikynoonooWAtheAnumJTIG
  • SpecksSpecks
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,275
    I knew fishing would get nerfed after what it was like in beta, but I'm still sad about HOW MUCH it was nerfed. haha. I agree that getting OP gear from fishing wasn't a great idea - though having a super ultra low chance of one piece of gear per class might be fun just to have something to be surprised by, gearwise, while fishing. I also wish we actually got fish items(like cooking mats, or even just vendor loot, more often than the junk items I've gotten so far) - it'd feel like I was getting some kinda yield from it rather than what feels like invisible progress. I can't seem to pin down any confirmation on what exactly we still get from fishing at all, aside from trophies... here's hoping there's still fun things to be had later on

I'm someone who loves fishing minigames in mmos in general, so even in this nerfed state I still like to chill out and just fish sometimes...but it definitely feels hollow when it seems like I'm not actually gonna get surprised by anything. in other games I might fish up a pet, flavor items, fun stuff/buffs/whatever, costumes, etc. it gives a feeling of adventure and excitement each time I cast a line - like ooh, I wonder what kinda stuff I'll get from this area? maybe a pet? maybe a mount? costume stuff? potions with weird effects?

I hope over time they consider tweaking it a bit and adding more fun stuff back to it...I think that's still possible without making it an OP gear farm
    JTIG
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    Shayarahla wrote: »

I never understood the "Hey you have 5392 Ricefish!"... well now what? what do I do with this information??? Even cooking the fish and using them as potions would be a better alternative with careful conversion rates set in place

Fishing is pretty useless ATM aside from trophy hunting, far greater means of making income exist. Idk who the lead fishing designer at Nexon is, but they saw fishing was OP in CB1 and decided to go the polar opposite direction and essentially render it useless

Little disappointing it doesn't get used as healing items cooked food is so popular in mmos as a healing item and with a fishing list this large it's not even touched.
  • WAtheAnumWAtheAnum
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,285

Little disappointing it doesn't get used as healing items cooked food is so popular in mmos as a healing item and with a fishing list this large it's not even touched.

i agree. even if it "just" would be healing (and maybe support) items, at least it would add some kind of value to it and, tbh, you cant get enough healitems...
    JTIG
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    WAtheAnum wrote: »

i agree. even if it "just" would be healing (and maybe support) items, at least it would add some kind of value to it and, tbh, you cant get enough healitems...

What's sad is you don't even need it to give buffs or heal if they were just a junk item you can sell for some mesos that would be an improvement over straight up getting nothing which makes fishing feel like a huge waste of time. Granted I would like to see them have some use, but at least having this would give some incentive to fish.
  • WliaWlia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,360
    edited 5:06AM December 2, 2018
    disabled
    JTIGNicokai
  • SiIverSiIver
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 980
    I just posted an suggestion post to improve fishing and crafting in general as well as a lot of other suggestion, maybe you want to check it out and leave your opinion: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/40363/bunch-of-suggestions-ms1-vs-ms2?new=1
  • LethalBunnyLethalBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 750
    um.. I dont think fishing is useless, I've made ALOT of money afk fishing over night... what I dont understand though is:
    I used an intermediate lure ($7000) and made $100,000 over night afk fishing..
    I used a master lure ($10,000) and made only $55,000 over night??? WHAT?
  • KastillaKastilla
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 360
    edited 11:42AM October 19, 2018
    I can't add anything else to the conversation, so please do forgive my ignorance.
    I find use in the fishing, mini-games I suppose you could call them, but it would definitely be nice to use the fish. Whether it be mounting, cooking, selling, or crafting. Then again, I always have a softer spot for fishing mini-games, Animal Crossing and SEGA Bass Fishing on the N64 got me hooked (pun not intended).

I am awfully grateful for a simple "action button," versus the Stardew Valley method of fishing though! I am still new in this game, and I am excessively annoyed with not getting a Knight Fish yet. Also why I have taken up a fishing pastime, more familiar to me. ^.^
    WAtheAnum
  • _Lil_Puddin__Lil_Puddin_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,110
    I almost like fishing as it is. I think it would be lovely if we could display our fishies in tanks or even water tiles in our homes. Like if you catch 10 of the same fish between all your characters, you unlock the ability to display them in your house. Preferably alive and not on a wall-mount lol.
    GricelyJozar