May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Scam Crates

KingKaeruKingKaeru
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,175
edited 11:38AM October 11, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I was perfectly happy buying a legendary founder pack, it was of a great value. They took every reasonable measure they could to sell as many as possible and that was fine. Not many people complained about it because there was no denying that the pack was worth the money.

On the other hand, you have these style crates. I don't mind loot boxes, but this is worst implementation I could have imagined. I was looking forward to these boxes arriving while others were complaining because I thought it would be a fun way to get some exclusive cosmetics. The reason why most people are complaining is not the fact that they are against Nexon selling loot boxes, it's simply how completely unfair these boxes are.

Unlocking all the new shop items costs roughly 45,562 merets (roughly 455 dollars). That's how much it would cost for the Halloween themed items ONLY. You do not get any of the other style items for that price because you'd have to disenchant them all in order to gain that many coins.

That's a lot of goodies, but probably not nearly as much as you'd expect. If you haven't checked out the shop already, this is what 455 dollars gets you:

- Two full sets/outfits
- A special weapon/off-hand for your class
- A mount
- Three instruments
- Four emotes
- A grave
- A swim tube
- Two fishing animations
- A damage skin

Mind you these are all exclusive. For comparison, though, this is what 480 dollars gets you in Path of Exile (all of these items are also exclusive):

- 4,800 points (original price is 480 dollars, equivalent to 48,000 merets)
- Five exclusive sets/outfits
- Six weapon effects (maple doesn't have these, so imagine six damage skins instead)
- Three portal effects
- A special forum title
- Six character portrait frames
- The game's digital soundtrack
- A special t-shirt
- A cloth map signed by the game devs
- 320 extra points instead of physical items (optional, original price is 32 dollars)

The last two items are mailed to your house free of charge and are of great quality. Assuming you choose the points though, you'll have all the virtual items and 5,120 points to spend on cosmetics.

To give you an idea of how much that is, weapons cost between 90 ~ 200 points (except for one which is 360 points). A full set costs 420 points. Emotes are 40 points each. You could literally buy 10 full sets, 5 weapons and 5 emotes with that many points. In other words, you'd have a total of 15 sets. This is not even mentioning the fact that items go on sale every single day and some discounts are massive. I'm looking right now and there are multiple sets for less than half price, 200 points each.

I just feel completely scammed when you want me to spend roughly the same amount of money and get maybe 10% of the value if I'm lucky. If other games can provide a free to play experience with much, MUCH more reasonable prices, what's the excuse to charge so much for so little? You don't need all the event items, but isn't the point to try to collect them? I love collecting cosmetics and it's very unfortunate that I won't even be able to get the set let alone anything else.

Additionally, no one in their right mind would even try to complete the basic sets because it's actually harder than saving up for the special event one. This completely defeats the purpose of having tiers for the cosmetics in the first place.

If I may give a suggestion: stick to the founder pack model. Have special packs that cost somewhere around 100 dollars, but make them worth it. Forget the style crates and instead put all the common items into the cash shop. This way people who want the exclusive stuff can pay a reasonable amount for it without feeling ripped off and you can still sell to casual players who just want the basic items and sets. There is absolutely no need to have a system this complicated and unfair.

Edit: Here is an example of the system I would prefer to see:
25 dollars:
- A set of your choice (from the style crate items)
- Pumpkin Quote Ring
- Pumpkin Name Tag
- Pumpkin Hat

50 dollars:
- Funky Cowboy set
- Pumpkin Quote Ring
- Pumpkin Name Tag
- Pumpkin Hat
- Perion Mammoth Mount
- Jack-o'-Lantern Tombstone

100 dollars:
- Pumpkin Witch set
- Funky Cowboy set
- Halloween Weapon Box
- Pumpkin Quote Ring
- Pumpkin Name Tag
- Pumpkin Hat
- Perion Mammoth Mount
- Will-o'-Wisp Damage Skin
- Halloween Title

The instruments can be sold separately in the shop for a premium (1000 merets each). You can also have a bundle containing all instruments:

Halloween Music Bundle: 2400 merets (20% off):
- Magic Broom Electric Guitar
- Fire Axe Bass Guitar
- Pumpkin Drums

The same can be done for emotes. The "Summon Spirit Emote" is already in the shop at 300 merets. Throw in the "Shade Emote" and "Zombie Dance Emote" in at 300 merets as well. List "Fist Bump Buddy" at 900 merets, since it's a special one. Then you can create another bundle:

Halloween Emote Bundle: 1620 merets (10% off):
- Fist Bump Buddy Emote
- Summon Spirit Emote
- Shade Emote
- Zombie Dance Emote

MagicPoptartShoiMeidogaruDVoidbornMiphaMorningRegrettinklekinsmirta000La3elleMintyliciousand 14 others.

Comments

• MagicPoptartMagicPoptart
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
  • ShoiShoi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 890
    We have Halloween this month, Thanksgiving next month, the Xmas after that. That is a lot of events and money. But with the crates, and the 'chance' to get what I want. I kinda don't wanna spend any money at all now on the game. I'm willing to pay for what I want, not for the chance to get what I want.
    MorningRegretLouvainLa3elleChernobyteKhrisisXXPriestXX44KingKaeruUllZintackShadowsBeneaand 3 others.
  • MeidogaruMeidogaru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,470
    edited 10:57AM October 11, 2018
    Let us outright purchase the outfits from the store. Style Crates only further inflame the rapid disdain for loot boxes. I would pay $20, $30, even $40 for seasonal bundles. I have no qualms giving Nexon my money, I already have and will continue to do so on other parts of the store. This is just sheer ignorance on their part.
    MintyliciousChernobyteLa3elleidontreallyknowmanXXPriestXX44KnowledgeTamakiSakuraKingKaeruArdawnHeartdonor
  • LouvainLouvain
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,660
    Posting here as well. In FFXIV I can pay my monthly sub ($15 a month) and buy several of the more expensive outfits and mounts, and STILL not reach the supposed $125 average it would take to get the one costume here. I know Nexon needs to make money, especially on a f2p model, but it's disappointing with how grossly overpriced and rng based things are. For as many people willing to spend the $30+ for a set, there are at least as many, if not double, who won't put a dime in. And those who don't pay up/get lucky will experience continual disappointment as they fail to get their item and eventually fall off from the game.
    XXPriestXX44TamakiSakuraKingKaeruUllArdawnHeartdonor
  • Lv1MagikarpLv1Magikarp
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 350
    They need to look at how others make their money on skins, take League of Legends for example, if you drop £20 on a skin then you know for a fact the skin you choose is going to have more too it than a simple colour change like custom sounds and/or animations; plus it's not RNG it's just a straight shop you can buy from.

The only RNG they do is gifting a random skin to a friend and that gives skins that are more value than what you pay making the RNG worth it.

Just do away with the RNG rubbish and put flat prices on everything with a time limit on stuff you want to be "rare" or time limited with a slightly inflated price, people will buy them!

I just bought one style crate to try it, 300 for some blue dolly shoes. Not touching them ever again.
    ChernobyteTamakiSakuraKingKaeruHeartdonorUll
  • KnowledgeKnowledge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,350
    I spent more than I'd like to admit on style crates. Ridiculous how in even the first 10 I opened I got duplicates, then more duplicates in the next 10. Further, I continued to get a bunch of items that look worse than my starter outfit thereafter... It was a saddening experience, rather than an enjoyable one. You'd think Nexon would want us to enjoy spending our money with them, not be upset by it. I don't see how this will be good for them in the long run. It's short sighted and quite ridiculous. The bad taste left in my mouth after the experience certainly won't lead to me buying more style crates, which is only their loss. Nexon decision makers, please at least let us spend our style coins on style crate items to ameliorate this unfortunate situation.
    ChernobyteMintyliciousKingKaeruHeartdonorUllKittyy
  • AynixAynix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,095
    I still cant comprehend fact that everyone is complaining about "loot boxes" but they buy them anyway.
    Bebop
  • KingKaeruKingKaeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,175
    edited 11:38AM October 11, 2018
    Personally, I would never buy them again. I'm not even spending my style coins until the end of the event because I'm hoping that some kind of change will happen.

It's disappointing because I really want to support the game. With the current system however, only people with a ton of disposable income are able to get anything. I think having tiered packs like they did with founder packs is the best solution because then everyone gets what they want.

Instead of only profiting off the whales, they can meet us halfway and provide three bundles at the same prices as the founder packs. For example:

25 dollars:
    - Pumpkin Quote Ring
    - Pumpkin Name Tag
    - Pumpkin Hat

50 dollars:
    - Funky Cowboy set
    - Pumpkin Quote Ring
    - Pumpkin Name Tag
    - Pumpkin Hat
    - Perion Mammoth Mount

100 dollars:
    - Pumpkin Witch set
    - Funky Cowboy set
    - Halloween Weapon Box
    - Pumpkin Quote Ring
    - Pumpkin Name Tag
    - Pumpkin Hat
    - Perion Mammoth Mount
    - Will-o'-Wisp Damage Skin
    - Halloween Title

The instruments can be sold separately in the shop for a premium (1000 merets each). You can also have a bundle containing all instruments:

Halloween Music Bundle: 2400 merets (20% off):
    - Magic Broom Electric Guitar
    - Fire Axe Bass Guitar
    - Pumpkin Drums

The same can be done for emotes. The "Summon Spirit Emote" is already in the shop at 300 merets. Throw in the "Shade Emote" and "Zombie Dance Emote" in at 300 merets as well. List "Fist Bump Buddy" at 900 merets, since it's a special one. Then you can create another bundle:

Halloween Emote Bundle: 1620 merets (10% off):
    - Fist Bump Buddy Emote
    - Summon Spirit Emote
    - Shade Emote
    - Zombie Dance Emote

You can do the same with other items that can be bundled together. Everything else can just be sold by itself in the shop. The style crate sets can either be sold in the shop, exclusive to packs, or both. Perhaps have them all listed in the shop, but throw in a set of the player's choice when they buy a bundle. You could also just list the grey sets, and distribute the blue sets in the packs yourself over a longer period of time. Or even create new packs for certain sets (for instance, a frog bundle with a name tag, quote ring and title).

So was that so hard? It took me 30 minutes to come up with these ideas. It might not be the perfect solution but if I can think of a system like this in a few minutes, I'm sure Nexon can do it too. I think people would be much happier and you'd be getting a lot more sales.
    MintyliciousUll
  • ShoiShoi
    edited 11:45AM October 11, 2018
    Aynix wrote: »
    I still cant comprehend fact that everyone is complaining about "loot boxes" but they buy them anyway.

Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it doesn't effect other people. Gambling addiction is just as bad as smoking or drinking. It's the sensation of a chance of getting a high by getting what your want or 'winning', Gacha thrives on this. But unlike Gacha these prices are a bit high, and the boxes are not specialized to a grouping. It's more like those catch all quarter machines that give stickers or plastic rings at the grocery store. But you wanna keep trying because one of the ball contains a pikachu.
    BebopKnowledgeKingKaeruHeartdonorUll
  • MintyliciousMintylicious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,085
    I would buy one of the sets @KingKaeru suggested above in a heartbeat.
    Ull
  • KnowledgeKnowledge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,350
    edited 12:19PM October 11, 2018
    Meidogaru wrote: »
    Let us outright purchase the outfits from the store. Style Crates only further inflame the rapid disdain for loot boxes. I would pay $20, $30, even $40 for seasonal bundles. I have no qualms giving Nexon my money, I already have and will continue to do so on other parts of the store. This is just sheer ignorance on their part.

I second this sentiment wholeheartedly.

Shoi wrote: »
    Aynix wrote: »

Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it doesn't effect other people. Gambling addiction is just as bad as smoking or drinking. It's the sensation of a chance of getting a high by getting what your want or 'winning', Gacha thrives on this. But unlike Gacha these prices are a bit high, and the boxes are not specialized to a grouping. It's more like those catch all quarter machines that give stickers or plastic rings at the grocery store. But you wanna keep trying because one of the ball contains a pikachu.

This is a major issue and is why there really ought to be a way to get individual items from the style crate without having to spend in the mid to high hundreds to get it.
    FantasykittenUll
  • TokiTokiTokiToki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    I really hate that you can't buy the outfits outright, and the regular premium cash shop has been essentially deserted in favor of these style boxes. This is what I hoped ms2 wouldn't devolve to in the future, but instead we're just gonna start there from the very launch of the game. There are even some weapon covers that were in cbt2 that aren't in the shop in release, and I don't know how they'd implement those in style boxes since they don't have a common theme that can bundle them together in a weapons box, unless they ONLY plan to release them in the style coin shop, which would suck immensely.

Essentially, the style coin shop is selling what should be in the premium shop but at an insanely inflated price. Rather than making it another optional way to obtain outfits and while simultaneously destroying items you don't want/dupes from the style crate, it's the ONLY way to obtain those outfits which makes all the difference here.

The blog post mentions that,
    the most expensive package in coin shop will require approximately $125 USD. (Again, because of random %, this value can fluctuate)
    Implying $125 to be the average (so it could potentially cost more/less, with a range of $76 - $228 USD). Even rolling rares every time makes the lowest possible price of the package $76, which is still way too expensive. This, again, wouldn't be an issue if they used this method primarily as a way to get rid of dupes, where you can build up coins over time and finally splurge on something you like when it becomes available, but that is not the case here. Their focus is not on getting rid of dupes, but instead selling style crates. That's why they're requiring you to spend at least $76 to obtain what is likely a seasonal/time-limited package. I'm in the same boat, where I'd rather have an option to pay a flat $20-40 for the whole outfit package (depending on what's inside) rather than this.

I think the most insulting thing about this, which is also additional evidence to the whole "Just buy the main packages for a super high price" idea, is that barely any items in the style crates themselves seem actually worth it. Most individual pieces I wouldn't pay $3 for, which I suppose is part of the gamble, but there's barely anything in there I would even try to gamble for.

I mean, this item here
    jV05QpE.png
    is IDENTICAL to the one you get for free literally 2 minutes into the epic questline.
    Ull
  • KesuemaKesuema
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 540
    3$ is too expensive for a random piece considering just how many there are. It would take so much money just to complete any set. Maybe add in the option to trade in 3 outfit pieces for 1 you can choose. So every 9$ at least gets you something you want. Therefore a 4-5 piece set would still cost 37$-45$ but at least it's guaranteed. Still pricey but fair.
    Knowledgemirta000UllHeartdonor
  • EternalxEternalx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,905
    Agree. You basically have to disenchant everything you get to even get the pumpkin set... ???
    Ull
  • ShoiShoi
    edited 3:37PM October 11, 2018
    You should get a style coin for just opening the boxes honestly, or for buying clothing in general. Makes most sense to me.
    Ull
  • MintyliciousMintylicious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,085
    TokiToki wrote: »
    I mean, this item here
    jV05QpE.png
    is IDENTICAL to the one you get for free literally 2 minutes into the epic questline.

I agree with the point you're making but I have to mention the Angel Wings received for free is a temporary item (expires end of the month). Unless they have changed that from when I got mine in Headstart.

• ArchixArchix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    TBH is very funny how they are charging us the price of 5 brand new triple A tittles for just 1 skin... ...well i still havent seen anyone with the new halloween skin and i dont think many people will be willin to hand over 400 dollars for 1 damn skin ahahahha xD straight forward robbing that is
    Ull
  • ASDWManASDWMan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 515
    The style boxes are horrible!!

I opened twenty boxes and got the same shoe FOUR (4) times and multiple duplicate items in a row.

I was very disappointed after finding out that the style coin shop only contains limited number of items instead of everything in the box.

You're stuck with whatever crap you got from the box.

I have never felt this scammed in my life, I could have spent my money gambling for real and even that would have left a better taste in my mouth.
    KittyyKingKaeruHeartdonor