Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Theory Crash and Burn Scheme

LastSaturdayLastSaturday
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,505
Posts: 81
Member
edited 4:13AM September 9, 2018 in General Chat
I have a theory Nexon is planning to have the game crash and burn and run with the money. This would explain why they do nothing and are introducing new cumbersome features, letting exploiters and bots roam free, and why they do not care at all about the prize pool for Mushking.
Because it's all temporary and not meant last, Maple Story 2 is basically The Producers. If they can shut down the servers within 2 years they'll make off with all the money they've already gotten and the people, who can bear the terrible new features and will give them money, will be a minority not big enough reason to keep the game open

I believe this is the most likely reason Nexon has introduced new features like Fair Play and just genuinely does not care.

What are your thoughts?
  1. Does this seem right?68 votes
    1. Seems Right
       21% (14 votes)
    2. No Nexons just incompetent
       44% (30 votes)
    3. No
       31% (21 votes)
    4. My own theory (posted in the comments)
       4% (3 votes)

Comments

  • FalzFalz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 870
    Posts: 19
    Member
    There is a precedent for this sort of thing with MMO's and other games

    Pull as much cash as possible in the early days and let it sit on autopilot till the whales are milked. Exploiters are still a source of income and leaving them be is indeed a red flag for this sort of practice. The game being released so far after the fact compared to its other versions is also a major flag. If they were touting a content patch schedule to catch up to Korea and eliminated exploiters you know the basic stuff needed for long term success then I'd disagree. However we've seen plenty from Betas and BR to back up your claims the community itself isn't really monitored either and toxicity remains unpunished.
    DanDKLastSaturday
  • HexabusaHexabusa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,105
    Posts: 35
    Member
    They're usually dead on the weekends so I hope something is waiting to be addressed on a weekday.

    It has felt like an ad campaign that's gone on for far too long, especially for a game that has previous servers and caters to a niche playerbase. But I think it's funny that they might have had a better reception if they never implemented Mushking. There would be no exploiters, abusers, witch hunts, broken EXP event. What could people complain about if those things never existed? Of course, they'd find something, but it would be less than the current situation.

    I'm sure this long founder pack sale is coming in nicely. It is a business, after all. I just wish they wouldn't give people the chance to think too long about buying it or not / get a refund.
    DanDKDarkpixie99
  • ImHealthyWCImHealthyWC
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 495
    Posts: 7
    Member
    I feel Nexon may be a weird company. They are known for P2W, but they are not known for shutting down their games in short time frames. Games like Dragon Nest and DFO were doing bad here, but they kept it up for a LONG TIME.

    I can't provide any hard examples as I am not too known on them, but let's talk Lawbreakers and Riders of Icaurs.

    Lawbreakers died because it legit had 2 players online at one point, that's a failure and a cause for a shut down the servers were still running until September I think?

    Riders of Icarus is also a bad game, but it's still running, the official discord is still active and players are still on it and mods are still posting updates and announcements. It did go dead after some time, but now I can't go a week without hearing a notification from that server.

    If a game like Riders can survive, there is no doubt MS2 will also survive.
    I feel it's still too early for anything to happen, and to be fair, a fair majority of the community is going crazy.

    Like going crazy over the 9 days headstart, hating mushking, Paci trophy, fair fight, not being able to actually play the game, I feel like Nexon knows the community is on the red and people are unhappy. It makes sense they are quiet, they are probably afraid to make people more mad then they are right now by making a message and people go and digest every word to find any more reason to hate on Nexon.

    This also reminds me to when Paladins had it's controversial update (OB 66?) and the devs at Hi-Rez went straight silent and started quoting lines from EA " We want to fill our players with Pride and accomplishment" or some stupid stuff.

    And it's not like MS2 can just "restart" the Mushking Leaderboards, that would cause EVEN MORE drama and just disabling the mode would have the same effect.
    WooksterRuLastSaturdayyukheiiXtonyMintylicious
  • FalzFalz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 870
    Posts: 19
    Member
    Hexabusa wrote: »
    They're usually dead on the weekends so I hope something is waiting to be addressed on a weekday.

    It has felt like an ad campaign that's gone on for far too long, especially for a game that has previous servers and caters to a niche playerbase. But I think it's funny that they might have had a better reception if they never implemented Mushking. There would be no exploiters, abusers, witch hunts, broken EXP event. What could people complain about if those things never existed? Of course, they'd find something, but it would be less than the current situation.

    I'm sure this long founder pack sale is coming in nicely. It is a business, after all. I just wish they wouldn't give people the chance to think too long about buying it or not / get a refund.

    Exactly the Mushking focuses the playerbase into a single mode and everyone gets the see the issues up close and in detail. If it was never implemented then people would be scattered in different modes and doing different things from hardcore to Rping. An issue would be overlooked because the playerbase would be so widespread that most of them would never have to deal with it or wouldn't even be aware of the issue in the first place. They are all in a single mode some for the mode others to farm items for uses in other modes but the entire playerbase is a solid mass currently that is well aware.
    Hexabusa
  • NumberNumber
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Posts: 119
    Member
    edited 11:39AM September 9, 2018
    I feel Nexon may be a weird company. They are known for P2W, but they are not known for shutting down their games in short time frames. Games like Dragon Nest and DFO were doing bad here, but they kept it up for a LONG TIME.

    I can't provide any hard examples as I am not too known on them, but let's talk Lawbreakers and Riders of Icaurs.

    Lawbreakers died because it legit had 2 players online at one point, that's a failure and a cause for a shut down the servers were still running until September I think?

    Riders of Icarus is also a bad game, but it's still running, the official discord is still active and players are still on it and mods are still posting updates and announcements. It did go dead after some time, but now I can't go a week without hearing a notification from that server.

    If a game like Riders can survive, there is no doubt MS2 will also survive.
    I feel it's still too early for anything to happen, and to be fair, a fair majority of the community is going crazy.

    Like going crazy over the 9 days headstart, hating mushking, Paci trophy, fair fight, not being able to actually play the game, I feel like Nexon knows the community is on the red and people are unhappy. It makes sense they are quiet, they are probably afraid to make people more mad then they are right now by making a message and people go and digest every word to find any more reason to hate on Nexon.

    This also reminds me to when Paladins had it's controversial update (OB 66?) and the devs at Hi-Rez went straight silent and started quoting lines from EA " We want to fill our players with Pride and accomplishment" or some stupid stuff.

    And it's not like MS2 can just "restart" the Mushking Leaderboards, that would cause EVEN MORE drama and just disabling the mode would have the same effect.
    Both of the games only did bad because of the Nexon management....

    For DFO is doing extremely better under its Developer "Neople" for NA aka Global version and still going strong. Dragon Nest is...... yea but atleast Nexon is trying to learn a little from previous mistakes with game management. They are actually listening more to the playerbase than they did back then. All the improvements they have made so far (give or take a few) are have a great impact on the game.

    I am in no way an advocate for Nexon. I hated how they managed games in the past, which lead to the game demise (Specifically DFO but Neople takeover and its better now.....so yea).
    qmeme_1365541192619_247_zps903f5a64.jpg

    Also, I dont think they are purposefully trying to drive this game in the ground. Its Nexon, its what they did....jokes aside there is no perfect way to manage a game or no perfect Publisher, but atleast they trying to learn and improve (somewhat) unlike other companies.

    P.S. this is my 1st Nexon game spent the demise of DFO.
    LastSaturdayImHealthyWCyukheiiNyxMoonXtonyGTRiNsane
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
    Posts: 233
    Member
    KMS2 is almost dead I heard. It wouldn't surprise me if they let this game "crash and burn". They should just sell the MapleStory franchise to a more competent company.
    DanDK
  • HexabusaHexabusa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,105
    Posts: 35
    Member
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    KMS2 is almost dead I heard. It wouldn't surprise me if they let this game "crash and burn". They should just sell the MapleStory franchise to a more competent company.

    No! That's not true so don't say it again!!
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,795
    Posts: 207
    Member
    Would seem kinda counter-productive to their interests by removing Lumistones and Meret Revives from the game on Launch, if their intention was fast revenue then completely neglect/shutdown the game. Nexon is known for their history of P2W schemes yet people continue to try their games by the hundreds of thousands (The interesting ones at least). If the goal was short-term gain, then taking out those things actually loses them money. I wouldn't call the current Mushking fiasco through the past 2 weeks a crash and burn scheme-- just the Developers not moving fast enough and the GM's not moving at all.

    Fair Fight is likely only in our version because the Developers think that it's healthy for the game, since it got to the point that people are solo'ing the Hard-tier Dungeons within 3 mins and duo'ing the Raid Dungeons without Priests over in their version. They also did say that they're modifying the way Fair Fight works after people complained about it in CBT2, so they're actually putting effort into the game.

    ..Just, not enough.
    Subglacious
  • JointJoint
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,515
    Posts: 144
    Member
    I have a theory Nexon is planning to have the game crash and burn and run with the money. This would explain why they do nothing and are introducing new cumbersome features, letting exploiters and bots roam free, and why they do not care at all about the prize pool for Mushking.
    Because it's all temporary and not meant last, Maple Story 2 is basically The Producers. If they can shut down the servers within 2 years they'll make off with all the money they've already gotten and the people, who can bear the terrible new features and will give them money, will be a minority not big enough reason to keep the game open

    I believe this is the most likely reason Nexon has introduced new features like Fair Play and just genuinely does not care.

    What are your thoughts?

    Dude if that was the case they wouldn't be holding the game out this long and would have released it right after the first CBT phase. They would have held founders pack right away before even announcing closed beta as well. Not to mention they wouldn't be changing things in the game and just release it as it was in it's original state. Sorry but this is just nonsense. Yes, Nexon is very bad at handling there games (look at MS1) but they are not thieves like you claim. You are developing crazy conspiracy theory which is unnecessary.
    GTRiNsaneAeji
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,315
    Posts: 205
    Member
    edited 7:29AM September 11, 2018
    Anyone who's played Mabinogi knows how Nexon works, and it's in sheer cold silence, one where only FUD grows.
    Their marketing tactics have been rather outdated, hyper focused on gachapon revenue, and not in the developmental growth of the game's age.
    LastSaturdayDanDKVainglorious
  • MidbossMidboss
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,340
    Posts: 200
    Member
    edited 5:31PM September 11, 2018
    So you are creating this theory purely off a half done attempt to cash in on the trending game mode of the year (Battle Royale)?

    Maplestory 2 the accrual game has been successfully running for years, and Nexon can clearly milk an MMO for longer than two years. Just look at the fact Maplestory 1 is still not died yet (I am assuming, since it still open to be played).
  • XxPoseidonxXXxPoseidonxX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,450
    Posts: 220
    Member
    I hope it does calm down and they actually start "milking the whales" because right now we're beached and dying.
  • LastSaturdayLastSaturday
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,505
    Posts: 81
    Member
    I hope it does calm down and they actually start "milking the whales" because right now we're beached and dying.

    You speak and Nexon delivers
    DanDK
  • CyberliskCyberlisk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,420
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited 7:09AM September 13, 2018
    Nexon has been doing alot of reforming actually , GMS2 has announced tons of player feedback driven features. But did you also know that they recently moved their headquarters? It's now in Irvine California, Rather than El Segundo. They mention they made this move to reflect a "culture change" in their company. The new building has lots of new goodies for employees including on site Gym , Stream rooms etc.

    And even if they do throw a P2W feature into MS2 down the line , I don't think it will be that terrible because unlike almost every other MMORPG out there, MS2 has much more to it than stats and gear scores. Socializing , playing Mini-games , chatting to people , designing / wearing UGC , making houses, playing and creating music , and they're working on giving us the ability to design our own dungeons as well.

    Anyways, I have to throw shade at KOG again but,
    I doubt Nexon could bring me a greater disappointment than "The Pause of HeroWarz" (R.I.P.) so my hopes for GMS2 are high . Will it reach the same popularity that MS1 did back in the day? Probably not. And yea I do think this whole Mushking Royale is kinda killing the hype and giving new players a bad impression of the game. Not sure why they did this , maybe they genuinely thought we'd enjoy it , or maybe they're prototyping a Battle Royale game that they are developing themselves.
    Aeji
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    edited 8:32AM September 13, 2018
    Cyberlisk wrote: »
    Nexon has been doing alot of reforming actually , GMS2 has announced tons of player feedback driven features. But did you also know that they recently moved their headquarters? It's now in Irvine California, Rather than El Segundo. They mention they made this move to reflect a "culture change" in their company. The new building has lots of new goodies for employees including on site Gym , Stream rooms etc.

    Interesting, but have they shown any results yet? The answer should be obvious. They've failed almost every single decision possible since CBT1 before the game has even launched yet. You can put up a facade all you want but as long as they don't show any improvement it really doesn't matter.



    LastSaturday
  • CyberliskCyberlisk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,420
    Posts: 93
    Member
    DanDK wrote: »
    Cyberlisk wrote: »
    Nexon has been doing alot of reforming actually , GMS2 has announced tons of player feedback driven features. But did you also know that they recently moved their headquarters? It's now in Irvine California, Rather than El Segundo. They mention they made this move to reflect a "culture change" in their company. The new building has lots of new goodies for employees including on site Gym , Stream rooms etc.

    Interesting, but have they shown any results yet? The answer should be obvious. They've failed almost every single decision possible since CBT1 before the game has even launched yet. You can put up a facade all you want but as long as they don't show any improvement it really doesn't matter.



    Define "improvement". I don't know any MMORPG that's currently released that doesn't get the same complaints of P2W , Lack of communication , Horrible company history etc. Was the removal of Lumi stones , and meret revives not player concerns? Did Nexon just do that for their own greedy benefit?
    Xtony
  • DalsiaDalsia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    Posts: 27
    Member
    A lot of people have very valid concerns, but it does seem like they're trying to make this game successful. I agree that they would've just released the game in its most broken state if they only wanted to cash out. We'll see though...
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    Posts: 246
    Member
    edited 10:49AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
    LastSaturdayBurnedLine