Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Is overnight trophie botting acceptable?

ShayarahlaShayarahla
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,170
edited 12:49AM August 25, 2018 in Bug Reporting
hi

logged in and saw ppl farm trophies by wedging something in their movement keys and afking

fc43e05235.png

is this allowed? asking for a friend ofc

Comments

• MS2IntroductionMS2Introduction
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,440
    Well, if you're talking specifically about swimming... you don't need a bot to do it. What is Nexon going to do? Ban people for putting a book on their left key in real life? Lol. Something like that bomb throwing macro I saw is a different story though.
  • FluffyvampFluffyvamp
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 920
    *asking for a friend* o the classic excuse xD
    SnackCakes
  • Nyuuk1ngNyuuk1ng
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 840
    I think you can do this by placing something heavy on your key.
  • WooksterRuWooksterRu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 945
    edited 11:53AM August 25, 2018
    its easily solved if the devs added a auto log out timer if you afk for to long.
    ggToasterTaksui
  • LotussLotuss
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 875
    Or they can make the boundaries invisi-wall, preventing anyone from falling off. No reason to fall off if we don't take damage anyways.
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Is that why people keep going off the edge?
  • XxPoseidonxXXxPoseidonxX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,450
    This can also be done by macros and hotkeys. I don't think it's acceptable, but it's not preventable either...
  • ggToasterggToaster
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,275
    edited 2:27PM August 25, 2018
    Well, if you're talking specifically about swimming... you don't need a bot to do it. What is Nexon going to do? Ban people for putting a book on their left key in real life? Lol. Something like that bomb throwing macro I saw is a different story though.

Actually yes. Nexon did do that. Have you played reboot server in MS1. This is how everyone got banned within the first month of farming. Placed a stapler on space to get banned. Only then did they reemphasize their ToS on that situation. But Nexon is most likely not going to ban anyone for doing it. They set a goal of swimming for a long time which just encourages this situation. Unless they do some kind of captcha to check whether or not ur afk, it's not practical to manually check everyone, it's be a waste of anyone's time.
  • ShayarahlaShayarahla
    edited 5:06PM August 25, 2018

dont mean to be mr internet police... but what you explained is by the Nexon ToS's definition... botting lol

"Using macros, auto-looting or robot play, or any other behavior that allows you (or any character you are controlling) to automatically function or effect any action in a game with or without your presence."

you can do all the mental gymnastics in the world... but you cant tell me im wrong when i say that given the situation, 90% of the people doing this are not present. think of it as this: you are the first party, the game is the 2nd, anything else, be it a book on a key, an auto clicker or the most advanced macro in the world... is the third party. this is why imo the term third party software is not used, because its not exclusive to programs but real life factors as well (one would think)

its easily (i say with no coding experience or real knowledge of the subject) prevented by changing the spawn points when you fall off the edge for all maps so that it isnt a simple walk in 1 direction. then people would have to use advanced macros to divert through towns and then they can get banned for showing their true intentions lol

the mentality of "well its just a minor exploit heuhheuh" is just not feasible when you take into consideration that the game itself is an investment. bypassing such basic responsibilities with shortcuts that constitute use of 3rd party tools (regardless of if its real life or a macro) is flawed itself and shows a lack of understanding for the damage such a flawed mentality presents in the long term. abusing exploits should be outlined across all boards, regardless of if its for personal achievements like trophies or a more severe one that affects the economy.

now if you wanna sit there actively walking left and right to get the "distance travelled" trophy instead of gradually gaining it through actually playing the game for instance, then by all means do it. it would still require you to engage in the game in some form... but nobody would do that because its not an easy exploit they can afk, see my point? and in a game with so many afkable features, the fact that people still find ways to exploit flawed features is laughable lol

also trophies have their own leaderboard and guilds are ranked by how many trophies the members collectively amount to... you can downplay it by saying "ah who cares about a leaderboard!!!11" but dont confuse your personal beliefs on a matter as the general sentiment... its a game that many people will invest thousands of hours into and a lot of people care about achieving stuff lol (which is why some go out their way to abuse exploits hehexd)

perhaps nexon doesnt care like you insinuated but for a game thats just about to launch, they really should lol... i wanna play maplestory2 not botstory2

btw this is coming from a former self proclaimed professional runescape botter so dw im on no moral high horse, i just understand the long term damage it does to games that many often overlook for temporary personal gain
    DanDKTaksui
  • ShayarahlaShayarahla
    This can also be done by macros and hotkeys. I don't think it's acceptable, but it's not preventable either...

it is preventable and making minor changes like what i suggested in my previous post would not inconvenience anybody who wasnt trying to exploit what i call a flawed feature & map design

obviously given the complexity of said exploit, the large variety of maps, some can not realistically be prevented without a harsher authentication system, but something like this done so shamelessly should be handled
    Is that why people keep going off the edge?

yes lol... i might be blind but i never saw this in the beta and i think its cause people who participated in it actually cared about experiencing the game as well as giving feedback on its state. the fact that people are doing this on a minigame version of the game before it has even released is worrying lol they dont even get to keep the progress they unfairly make lmao
  • SubglaciousSubglacious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,580
    Shayarahla wrote: »
    the fact that people are doing this on a minigame version of the game before it has even released is worrying lol they dont even get to keep the progress they unfairly make lmao

fyi you do get to keep the progress, these characters won't be wiped
  • WifuPilloWifuPillo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,205
    edited 8:19PM August 25, 2018
    WooksterRu wrote: »
    its easily solved if the devs added a auto log out timer if you afk for to long.

they wont do that because they would lose money on the afk music xp farmers. what would be the point of buying 6+ hours of music playing if you are going to get kicked out after being afk for a few minutes.
    And the game wont even detect him afk since his character is moving. Its only when you don't touch your keys for a long time.
  • WooksterRuWooksterRu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 945
    WifuPillo wrote: »

they wont do that because they would lose money on the afk music xp farmers. what would be the point of buying 6+ hours of music playing if you are going to get kicked out after being afk for a few minutes.
    And the game wont even detect him afk since his character is moving. Its only when you don't touch your keys for a long time.

there are systems you can put in place as a auto log out timer if players have not registered a new input to the server after a certain amount of time, thus preventing one key hold down botting even if they have movement. so if players do not perform a new action for the server to register instead of the same repeated one action for long periods of time, the server can then decide to start a afk log out timer to make sure you are not botting.
  • ShayarahlaShayarahla
    the fact that people are doing this on a minigame version of the game before it has even released is worrying lol they dont even get to keep the progress they unfairly make lmao

fyi you do get to keep the progress, these characters won't be wiped

sad!
  • TaksuiTaksui
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 555
    I don't think it is acceptable, however no one can prove that someone there is just pressing the key while doing another stuff (like watching YT).
    I think the WooksterRu comment is a good way to solve the problem.
    WooksterRu
  • ShayarahlaShayarahla
    Taksui wrote: »
    I don't think it is acceptable, however no one can prove that someone there is just pressing the key while doing another stuff (like watching YT).
    I think the WooksterRu comment is a good way to solve the problem.

idk why people keep saying that like i haven’t already acknowledged this... in this case the maps should be designed to not have an easily exploitable reuccuring auto path respawn system lol that’s the point of this thread, any other exploits that can be utilised by making progress going one direction should be handled when they arise as well

stop with the echo chamber please and don’t post if you aren’t going to add anything new or insightful :) that’s what the like function is for
  • HerBedToyzHerBedToyz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730

it actually preventable they could put invisible wall around the city witch would make u hit a wall eventually i think this waz kinda done on purpose Nexon will not take action agaisnt some one for leaving something heavy on left arrow keys because they would lose alot of ppl they could have prevented this but didnt
  • FantasykittenFantasykitten
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,630
    well its nexon's foult for making such a boring an non engaging trophy :/

like how fun is it to just swim around for hours duing northing. an yes it takes hours to get.
    Gricely
  • GricelyGricely
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,665
    I honestly do not have a problem with this whatsoever. Really long boring trophies and the map design are going to encourage this behaviour and nexon surely know this. That said I do have a problem with macros/farming mesos in this way...

Personally I haven't been able to find something heavy to lodge my keyboard with so I manually commit suicide whilst queuing for a mode for someone else to kill me. It's super fun!
  • Mirab3lleMirab3lle
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720

dont mean to be mr internet police... but what you explained is by the Nexon ToS's definition... botting lol

"Using macros, auto-looting or robot play, or any other behavior that allows you (or any character you are controlling) to automatically function or effect any action in a game with or without your presence."

There are auto-fishing, music, and gathering vouchers tho. That you can buy extensions for hours for. They can't possibly believe people are just gonna sit there and watch their character auto-fish, and those activities give you xp and trophies too. It would be hypocritical to but something like that in the game and ban people for weighing down keys.