Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

"MapleStory 2 Premiere Recap" by Jungsoo Lee

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 62,725
Administrator
edited 6:29PM August 24, 2018 in Team Blogs
Hello everyone!

I personally wanted to update the MapleStory 2 fans with all the news we shared through the MapleStory 2 Premiere event on August 21. First of all, thank you for all the great support of the game. It was amazing to see everyone at the event.

img1.png

I intentionally didn't introduce myself, because I wanted the producers and team who worked on the show to be the main hosts of the event.

Let's highlight three key things everyone should remember from the event:
  • Name Reservation and Mushking Royale Pre-Season Already Started
  • October 10 Official Free-to-Play Launch!
  • Major improvements made, including avoiding Pay-to-Win

img2.jpg

Name Reservation and the Mushking Royale Pre-Season

MapleStory 2 Producer David (LIME) presented news about the Mushking Royale improvements, pre-season and name reservation. The reason behind us launching Mushking Royale ahead of Official Launch is because we wanted to give our fans an opportunity to be able to engage with MapleStory 2 as early as possible, and also wanted to give out more Founder's Packs to those who are truly passionate about the game.

img3.jpg

Mushking Royale shares your character with the main MapleStory 2 RPG game, meaning that if you join Mushking Royale Pre-Season and create a character, you are basically reserving your character and their name for official launch, and carrying over all the items you get from Mushking Royale.

Mushking Royale comes with two brand-new skills and Squad Mode. Check out more information here.

giphy.gif

Please jump into the game NOW to reserve your name, plus compete to win a Founder's Pack!

October 10 Official Launch

The development team from Korea came to the event to announce the official global launch date for MapleStory 2: October 10th, at 10 AM PDT. Founder's Pack owners will be able to enjoy Head Start access on October 1st, at 10 AM PDT.

img5.jpg

This launch date was decided after thorough review of our development priorities and schedule. Even though lots of people might think the game feels ready, we do have a huge list of things we should improve and work on to successfully launch the game. Everyone working on the project wanted to say the game goes live TOMORROW, but October 10th was the earliest date we could confidently come up with. We hope everyone can patiently wait for the release while enjoying the Mushking Royale Pre-Season event. Please be assured that we are diligently working towards bringing you the best possible game along with great changes.

Oh, also don't forget we will be having a pre-registration event starting on September 24th! This will be a simple web event where everyone can come and sign up to redeem exclusive gifts when the game launches on October 10th!

Major Improvements - Avoiding Pay-to-Win

Hyun Joo (Live Games Director) presented the content scope for Head Start and Official Launch. As everyone is already aware, Runeblade, Karkar Island, and the level cap increase to 60 are the main content pieces we will be introducing for the Official Launch. Most importantly, I want to highlight our team's efforts to deliver great improvements to the game.

img6.jpg

img7.jpg

These major improvements include:
  • Removal of Lumistone (due to potential Pay-to-Win issue)
  • Meret revival removal (due to potential Pay-to-Win issue)
  • AP/SP removal from Epic quests to Level Up trophy rewards to ensure players can level up in various ways
  • Adjustments to EXP from monster hunting and dungeons
  • Fishing doesn't give anything Pay-to-Win
  • Epic quests will give out enough EXP to continue to the next Epic quest
  • None of the vanity outfits will have stats (due to potential Pay-to-Win issue)
  • More exploration goals
  • And many more

It's thanks to our development team and feedback from players like you that we can announce some of the great changes we are trying to bring into our game's global service. We also have more updates in discussion, and hope we can share full details when it gets closer to the Head Start.

Lastly, I want to bring up a few other very important pieces of information you should be aware of other than the above three!

Post-Launch Content

MapleStory 2 Producer Sally (Nimei) has announced our post-launch content plan.

img8.jpg

We will have major content updates coming in both November and December. Everyone at the show was very excited to hear that Soul Binder is coming out in December!

Please check out the video below to recap the post-launch contents.

New System

For the great house builders, we are working on creating a Blueprint System. The intention here is to let great house designers build great looking houses, and to let these designers sell their blueprint home designs to other players.

Also, MapleStory 2 Producer DS (LAMBCOOK) announced our secret project called Design Lab. This is very early in-development and we cannot share any detailed dates on when this will be available yet. But we wanted to share that we are exploring more ways for great content creators or passionate gamers to create their own content and expand the limits of MapleStory 2.

img9.jpg

If you are interested in being one of the early testers (or I should say pioneer group) who wants to help build this system with us, please visit this site and submit your information.

One caveat here: You should know how to use Lua Script, or be willing to learn the language.

We are preparing a highlight reel of the event, which will show ins and outs of the show. Also, this is only the beginning, as we are working on many more things and can't wait to share additional updates with you all in the near future.

Right now the team is currently working on plans for PAX West. We have a great booth being prepared, and hope you can stop by if you are already planning to be at PAX West!

img10.jpg

img11.png

As always, thank you for all the love you have given to the game, and know that we are working hard to prepare the very best version of MapleStory 2 for you all.

General Manager, Nexon America
- Jungsoo Lee
NachoCheeseMarkMZatchVixiemirta000ZerolioHyphoxAskaLanglyqbicfeetWarameand 6 others.

Comments

• VixieVixie
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,380
    I'm really impressed with Nexon, ngl. I thought their talk of "we're reading your feedback and making according changes" was a bunch of lies, just like other companies, but they're really pulling through with the promises, even going beyond my expectations. I'm happy to see p2w features removed and all these ways that'll make ms2 even more of a creative place implemented.

I'm still wondering about a bunch of things though, and I hope someone can answer them. :)
    1. Will Red Merets be in the game? I'd prefer them not to be and so far they haven't shown up anywhere, but I want to be sure.
    2. Mushking royale levels- do they reset after pre-season ends, or after season ends? Aka when does my battle pass expire?
    3. In premiere streams some people were showing the premium store and it had lots of clothes I've never seen before, as well as seemingly all the starter clothes from character customization. Is this the store we'll have on headstart?
    4. Some people from premiere shared on Twitter we'll get more ugc templates. Is this true?
    5. Mushking currency, do the coins ever expire, or will we keep whatever we've earned after launch?
  • BluclueBluclue
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,620
    edited 7:17PM August 24, 2018
    They should not have removed the merit revs. The risks clearly outweigh the benefits. Progression is going to be cut back and the community is going to be split. Bus services will start to appear along with discrimination and lynching. Just so they can satisfy a community of salty players who want to stunt the progression of people who can pay for revives because they cant/dont want to.
  • HoIyHoIy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,170
    "Major improvements made, including avoiding Pay-to-Win"

How can you guys even say that and then slap everyone with a 10 day head start for founders. Even archage a game known for p2w didn't give people 10 day head start. Also it was also confirm that people can buy mesos with merits right? A little p2w is fine but let's not treat your consumer like they are stupid and start lying to them before the game even comes out.

I'd imagine if you're avoiding pay to win the first thing is to not include something that most didn't even ask for. There's no way you guys are that out of touch with your community that you can't see how surprise everyone is that they are getting a 10 day head start. Just seem like such a ridiculous thing to include that no one even ask for.
    Nyurabamsoul
  • SpiralofvertigoSpiralofvertigo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,055
    Good stuff guys; actually pretty impressed haha.
  • BluclueBluclue
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,620
    edited 8:13PM August 24, 2018
    HoIy wrote: »

How can you guys even say that and then slap everyone with a 10 day head start for founders. Even archage a game known for p2w didn't give people 10 day head start. Also it was also confirm that people can buy mesos with merits right? A little p2w is fine but let's not treat your consumer like they are stupid and start lying to them before the game even comes out.

I'd imagine if you're avoiding pay to win the first thing is to not include something that most didn't even ask for. There's no way you guys are that out of touch with your community that you can't see how surprise everyone is that they are getting a 10 day head start. Just seem like such a ridiculous thing to include that no one even ask for.

Yea i agree that its abit of too much a head start. It basically means the market is going to be dominated by founders from the get go. This is made even worse with the removal of merit revives. We are definitely going to see a huge snowball effect that can would make it P2W rather than P2 progress. With founders dominating the top leader boards as long as they don't slip up.

There will clearly be a divide between the progression of founders and non-founders. Founders will most likely have a huge impact on the game play experience of non-founders. In terms of Bus services, gear prices and also the mesos market.
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,870
    Shame that there's no video of any of this, I'd like to see the demo of the new housing blueprints and Design Lab.
  • AxyAxy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,960

While I agree that 10 days is a bit of a long time for headstart players, a lot of people who paid to be founders are probably very excited that they wont have to wait much longer to play(myself included) and honestly while it will pose an advantage for founders pack players over free to play players, keep 2 things in mind. 1) free to play players dont keep the game servers alive and its a business before a game for nexon. And 2) yeah it sucks for people that cant afford founders packs to be at a disadvantage to people that can but I dont believe a 10 day advantage in a game that's created to lasts years is gonna be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. That's kind of like saying anybody that starts playing after october 10th shouldn't play because they're behind.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how I see it.
    CubeNoobVixieDeathCatCatalystQaradoxical1skandernekololizbamsoul
  • HoIyHoIy
    edited 10:11PM August 24, 2018
    I hate when people frame it like the free to play players don't keep this game alive when they do.

No one is going to spend money on a dead game. This is coming from someone with founder. I'm complaining on behalf of the people who don't have founders because I care a lot about the sustainability of this game.

Let me tell you something. In the past TWO years Nexon has killed every game they have release. None of the game they have come out has lasted longer than a year. I don't want Nexon to fail for the 234343th time on a new title because they are too short sighted. So yes on a grand scheme of things it is a big deal.

The point is to keep things fair for everyone so that we have a healthy player base. People who join late obviously going to be behind but people shouldn't be behind right from the beginning just because someone paid money. This is the whole point of p2w and the whole point of trying to avoid it. You don't want to walk this route because it kills the game.

Maybe you enjoy playing a game where there is lower than 500 or in some cases less than 50(hyper universe) but I actually play MMORPG to experience a massive world. Don't start being an apologist for bad monitization decisions. We can see from Bless and many other MMORPGs that games can die in a matter of weeks if it's not handled properly.

Here's a video on how bad monetization can harm the game and it's player base if you're actually interested in this kind of stuff.
    DanDKNyuraAlzackBakaAnikibamsoul
  • CubeNoobCubeNoob
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,020
    I love the upcoming updates and the short future roadmap video!
    Keep up the good work and taking in community feedback.
  • hankiepixhankiepix
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,420

@Holy
    You won't be able to get to level 60 during the event. And the people who are really that bothered about this head start will be able to max out in less than a day or two. In other words unless you are trying to get cosmetic things like having your house in the map, then I don't think it is that tragic.
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,635

Agreed that the 9 day head start was a bit much, but they bandaid-remedied it by capping the level at 50 and locking Chaos Raids and Runeblader until Oct. 10th.

The meso's to merit system is anything but P2W-- it's close to being the polar opposite of it. Players who play the game and have the meso's to spare can trade them for Merit's, which can then be used to buy things off the Item Mall. This system has existed for well over a decade now in almost every F2P/P2P MMORPG with players buying costumes off the IM or Cash Shop and then selling that item through the in-game Auction House or 1v1 trade for in-game gold. The Meso2Merit system here is just a more direct version of that.
  • HoIyHoIy
    The levels don't really matter. With 10 days you will be able to get dungeon cap on multiple characters.

This game plays like a mobile game so a lot of things are time gated. 10 day means you will be permanently one week ahead a minimum if you're a casual player and only max out one character.
    NyuraBakaAniki
  • hankiepixhankiepix
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,420
    I'm pretty sure there are if not will be level 60 dungeons, also a week is not going to amount to anything if you end up playing this game for years, which is what I'm assuming you will be doing if you're so bothered about the head start. Also casual players aren't going to give a darn toot about the head start because they are a casual player and not everything is a race to them. I understand where your frustration is coming from though.
  • HoIyHoIy
    edited 11:13PM August 24, 2018
    I don't know why I can't have a complaint about a legitimate problem with out being framed as bothered. This forum is for posting what you think. Just because you don't agree with my point of view doesn't mean I'm bothered or frustrated. I clearly said I have founders and this will benefit me if anything.

If wanting a new game by nexon to finally last longer than half a year is being bothered then ok. Those casual players will care since there's no pvp equalization and people are elitist even in CBT2. Not only will the stuff you try to get be unaffordable as a f2p player but you won't even have the qualifications to join the harder dungeons.

Sure it might not be a big deal if you play this game like a single player game. Not everything has to be a race but not every thing has to put a f2p as a disadvantage either. I also don't think people will magically catch up in gear to do leve 60 dungeons either.

None of this even my point though. Don't try to advertise as trying to avoid p2w then have your package and premium and feature be p2w.

DanDKNyuraBakaAniki
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,765
    I don't know why I can't have a complaint about a legitimate problem with out being framed as bothered. This forum is for posting what you think. Just because you don't agree with my point of view doesn't mean I'm bothered or frustrated. I clearly said I have founders and this will benefit me if anything.

If wanting a new game by nexon to finally last longer than half a year is being bothered then ok. Those casual players will care since there's no pvp equalization and people are elitist even in CBT2. Not only will the stuff you try to get be unaffordable as a f2p player but you won't even have the qualifications to join the harder dungeons.

Sure it might not be a big deal if you play this game like a single player game. Not everything has to be a race but not every thing has to put a f2p as a disadvantage either. I also don't think people will magically catch up in gear to do leve 60 dungeons either.

None of this even my point though. Don't try to advertise as trying to avoid p2w then have your package and premium and feature be p2w.

1. Head starters capped to 50
    2. No raids out until way after the official start
    They're going to essentially be ahead by 1 dungeon lockout. That's it.
    GunPowder
  • AlexFromCaliAlexFromCali
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,200

:( But in all seriousness thanks for listening, and I can't wait to play! Someone complained about the 50$ piece cosmetic that gives combat stat. That is normal, and should be expected. Of course people will get to lvl 60 before most people who 'p2w' and enjoy the benefits of such. Anyways i personally am going to p2w, doesn't everyone want to win?
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,855
    What about server optimization? Better gamepad support?

None of those were mentioned during the event?
    DanDKNyuraAlzackhankiepixBakaAniki
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 30,520
    edited 2:24AM August 25, 2018
    Good to finally have an official statement on these things. Glad to see you are carrying through with P2W removal and other game improvements.

The one thing I am extremely disappointed to see is that you have caved in to destroying the progression rate. I guess it was an uphill battle after all, but I would still like to see rational arguments as to why it's a good thing (aka improvement) what you've done.
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    [*]AP/SP removal from Epic quests to Level Up trophy rewards to ensure players can level up in various ways
    [*]Adjustments to EXP from monster hunting and dungeons
    [*]Epic quests will give out enough EXP to continue to the next Epic quest

These three things read together make no sense.
    By ensuring that the Epic Quest returns to being one unbroken chain, you've ensured that Epic Quest remains the only, by far single most efficient way to level up.
    So what's the point of moving AP/SP around? Everyone is forced to do the Epic Quest anyway since it's way faster than anything else.
    What's the point of adjusting monster and dungeon EXP? Everyone is forced to do the Epic Quest anyway since it's way faster than anything else.

A consequence of this is that pre-50 equipment, pre-50 sources of EXP (World Quests/Exploration Goals/Monsters), pre-50 maps and pre-50 dungeons all become utterly obsolete from the moment the game starts, which we clearly saw during the CBTs. So congratulations, you've chosen to continue to ignore half the content in your own game.

Finally, this means that the rusher community judged that hitting level 50 in 10 hours (CBT2) was too slow compared to CBT1 (6 hours).

My logical reasoning for this was that they must not care about any pre-50 content in the game since anyone who cares about pre-50 content would not need to rush to level 50 in less than 10 hours. So far, nobody has disproved that statement by providing any other reasoning.

So you've basically caved in to a group that doesn't care about 80% of the content the game currently provides, on behalf of people whose only 'argument' is that they don't have the patience to play for more than half a day to get to the only content they deem worthy of trying out (even though that content in particular is done way better in other MMOs) and who regularly spread lies about others wanting it to take 'years' to level up while they can't even spend a day.

So do me a favour, someone, please tell me once and for all why this is an 'improvement', other than people being too lazy to do anything to progress, or simply not caring about any other content, which is both, in my opinion, extremely poor reasons to want to skip almost everything in the game.

I'd especially like to hear a Nexon statement on why you logically agree that this is an improvement.
    Sixaxis wrote: »
    The meso's to merit system is anything but P2W-- it's close to being the polar opposite of it.

That's a very one-sided way of thinking. The system is an obvious double-edged sword - while you pointed out all the positives, the obvious negative it that it allows purchases of mesos with Merets, which means that things that would otherwise be obtained with mesos only will be available through paying with cash.

GunPowderNyuraBakaAnikiCatalystbamsoul
  • supermikysupermiky
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 900
    DanDK, I appreciate that you want to complain, but I do not appreciate your sense of humor. You say that attribuite/skill points has been removed, but I can still see the points reward.
  • HoIyHoIy
    mirta000 wrote: »
    1. Head starters capped to 50
    2. No raids out until way after the official start
    They're going to essentially be ahead by 1 dungeon lockout. That's it.

One week was just enough time to start doing raid content though. Also life skills are capped daily/weekly. Another possible advantage is that once we reach capped we will be able to get prestige exp which is ALSO capped daily(prestige level also gives skill/stat points. Depending on how much you want to play on the first week you can potentially be ahead quite a bit if you play more than one character which they have just made easier according to this post.

A reasonable argument is that eventually these people will catch up but at that point I honestly think new content will be added to repeat the cycle. Since the planned update is december so....

You also have to remember that premium players are already getting x2 dungeon rewards. 1 dungeon lock out is 60 gear EQs(minimum) + chaos + onyx. 10 days you can easily do it on 2-3 characters that's 120-180 gears with enough onyx/chaos to enchant pretty highly. Basically if you like PVP at all you have to buy founders or get one shotted. If you want to make money doing life skills then you have to buy founders or else by the time you start your items worthless.

NyuraJokerSmile