Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Maple Story 2 For Nintendo Switch Please!

Kazu5542Kazu5542
MapleStory 2 Rep: 430
edited 6:39AM August 18, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I have just noticed they are adding free to play games on the switch, so I thought what If they had Maple Story 2 for da switch? Now, wouldn't that be awesome!

Comments

• KatsKats
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,585
    edited 6:50AM August 18, 2018
    Kazu5542 wrote: »
    I have just noticed they are adding free to play games on the switch, so I thought what If they had Maple Story 2 for da switch? Now, wouldn't that be awesome!

Even some of the more powerful computers can't properly run this game in certain situations, there's no way the Switch would be able to.

If they do what SE did with the PS3 version of FFXIV, then it's fine, as in, they will continue developing for the PC, and just shoving it on the ps3 (Switch in this case), without a care in world how it runs on it. So they don't hold back on things they want to add to the game just because the console version can't run it properly.
    DanDK
  • Kazu5542Kazu5542
    oh... never thought about that :[ looks like no maple story2 for switch :[
  • Kazu5542Kazu5542
    Well I mean, they added high graphic games for the switch like Doom, Fortnite, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ect. So I guess they could adjust the settings for it to be compatible for the switch???????
  • MissMuffinMissMuffin
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 590
    They could make maplestory 1 work on the switch that would bring a ton of new players to that game.

But I doubt it'll happen cause they most likely wanna switch all the focus to ms2.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,530
    edited 10:12AM August 18, 2018
    Would be nice if they used all available resources to fix the numerous issues with memory leaks, crashes, and general optimization on the main device (PC) before even considering adding all sorts of fancy consoles to the mix.

Definitely wouldn't mind having more players but keep in mind that porting a game of MMO complexity is going to be extremely heavy and uses up a lot of time better spent elsewhere. Also, it'd be quite hard to play the game properly if you don't have an auxilliary keyboard or a controller with a ton of custom buttons.
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,475
    edited 4:20PM August 18, 2018
    Do not port to consoles.

I've seen this done dozens of times, online free2play games are guaranteed to fail in the porting process unless you have a much larger team and much larger budget than you think you'd need.

Designing a game from the very start to be for PC and consoles already requires extra work/time/money vs developing only for PC. In MS2's case, developing only for PC with zero consideration for controller, waiting 3+ years for the engine to be outdated and go unsupported by the creator, and THEN trying to port the whole game while altering every interface to support controller, while also trying to maintain the PC version and add new content fast enough to keep the playerbase interested and spending... it's incredibly difficult and expensive.

That's all before the CPU-utilization problems which would make it run terribly on switch (even though it can handle the graphics component fine). The console rules and fees/processing fees for patches would likely force Nexon into splitting the console and PC servers, so it wouldn't grow the playerbase at all, it would likely segment it and kill the game even faster... and if the servers/versions are not split, that means patches will take days/weeks to implement, and because of the per-patch cost, they would be bundled and less frequent so known problems would stay in for longer.
  • AskaLanglyAskaLangly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,085
    For everyone's information, as you know, Nintendo is having their Switch Online service come September. Even if MS1 / 2 were to come to it, free-to-play games will never need the said subscription.
  • Kazu5542Kazu5542
    RIP me, my dreams are crushed
  • Kazu5542Kazu5542
    It was worth the try tho :/