Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

Manga Discussion

SimpleSimple
MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,445
in Off Topic Discussion
So apparently I started reading manga instead of watching anime because I didn't have any seasonal anime to watch in winter 2018.
Since it's.. spring 2018 that's a different story but I still enjoy reading manga.
I've been reading manhwa too which is korean comics.. manga is just japanese comics..
HenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddSourcedeauPainKillersMynameisme9820Drakooon

Comments

• HikageHikage
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,705
    I was thinking of starting a thread like this, I've been reading manga regularly for the past year or two now. Just being bored at work during breaks/on a slow job. Reading books was nice for a while, but it was an extra thing to carry, and it's hard to stop reading for a few minutes to do something and go back and know immediately where you were. Thankfully I found some great resources for reading on my phone (Takchiyomi)

Anything you're specifically looking for to read?

Also, what have you read/anything you'd recommend within Manhwa? (I've been interested in Manhwa for a while, but never knew where to start)
    SimpleHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractPainKillersMynameisme9820
  • SimpleSimple
    edited 5:12PM April 17, 2018
    @Hikage
    I'm not sure if this is considered as "webtoons" or manhwa but I know the artist and story writer are korean
    But I really liked the manhwa Bastard.
    It's a thriller and psychological type of manhwa
    I really like the main character unlike the other MC in Sweet Home (same artist and story writer, their second manhwa though)
    The MC in Bastard basically helps kill young women with his father
    His father is a psychopath and the MC is too scared of his father
    MC also suffers from bullying and he lost one of his eyes due to an incident.
    He meets a girl that just transferred to his school and his dad wants to kill her but the MC starts liking the girl and he basically tries to protect the girl from his father
    Ironically.. his father seems so nice on the outside and he's such a successful business man that no one suspects him
    GOD I FEEL LIKE I JUST SUMMARIZED THIS MANHWA.. I JUST LIKE IT SO MUCH
    Ah there's also this other one called Dice.. basically you earn "dice" and you roll them
    You can change your appearance, intelligence, wisdom, strength, etc with these Dice.
    That manhwa is really good too... but unlike Bastard it's still ongoing.
    HikageHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillersMynameisme9820
  • HikageHikage
    Oooh I've heard of Bastard loosely before, thanks for the summary

I'll have a looksie into those then!

And considering you like Bastard, I'd give you a strong recommendation of the Manga, Homunculus.

It follows the story of a man who threw away his life to be homeless, living out of his car in Downtown Tokyo-to who was offered a large sum of money to be a medical experiment. It can get fairly dark, but the story is very thorough and does an excellent job profiling characters that you meet for short portions. Fairly short, but would highly recommend if you liked Bastard so much considering it's themes.

You also may be interested in the same Mangaka's current on-going project Hikari-man, I don't think it's far enough in for me to give a fair synopsis but it has a similar mood as Homunculus.
    SimpleHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • SimpleSimple
    edited 5:23PM April 17, 2018
    @Hikage Right when I searched Homunculus I see a screw driver being pointed at someone's head.. oh my god
    HikageHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • BrickfistBrickfist
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,065
    edited 5:31PM April 17, 2018
    If you're looking for horror or action horror and haven't read it yet, I suggest Berserk. One of if not my all time favorite series. Not for the faint of heart though, but judging by your selection base already, I'd say this is fine. Very much medieval fantasy with a slap of Lovecraftian horror
    HikageSimpleSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • HikageHikage
    edited 5:34PM April 17, 2018
    HAHA yeah
    that's the Homunculus experience.

Also yes, if you want something fantasy/horror Berserk is a mecca. The endless hiatuses can put you on suicide watch, but whenever you get a new chapter, those 15 pages are pure bliss.
    BrickfistSimpleHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • SimpleSimple
    edited 5:37PM April 17, 2018
    It's already a pain waiting for my current mangas/manhwa to update so I might start reading Homunculus tonight..
    I'll be reading it at like 2am lolol
  • BakaAnikiBakaAniki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,620
    Nice. I stopped watching anime in 2015 and just continued reading manga since then. I mostly read comedy, slice of life or trashy stuff. Here's my manga list for anyone interested: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/BakaAniki
    HikageSimpleHenirLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • HikageHikage
    BakaAniki wrote: »
    Nice. I stopped watching anime in 2015 and just continued reading manga since then. I mostly read comedy, slice of life or trashy stuff. Here's my manga list for anyone interested: https://myanimelist.net/mangalist/BakaAniki

ooh this looks nice, any recommendations for Shoujo Slice of Life/Romance or any light romance really?
    HenirSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangPainKillers
  • SimpleSimple
    edited 6:08PM April 17, 2018
    @BakaAniki and @Hikage
    Have you tried reading Lookism?
    It's a manhwa about an ugly fat looking high schooler who gets bullied for how he looks.
    One day he gets a second body and lives as a handsome popular high schooler.
    At night he's in his old body and during the day he's in his new body.
    He makes friends and helps out people who he relates to because of his old body.
    It's a shame how people are judged by their appearance.
    I like how the manhwa accurately describes how society judges someone based on their appearance.
    It's in the drama/slice of life genre
    If you honestly read it and you get to know the characters you would start shipping Daniel(new body/mc's name) and Jay so ig it can classify as "light romance"
  • HikageHikage
    I'll put it on my list!
    Thanks
    Henir
  • BakaAnikiBakaAniki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,620
    edited 9:33PM April 17, 2018
    @Simple I have not but I have read very good things about it. I'm not really into manhwa or webtoons since I don't really dig the format but I do plan to read it in the future, just not anytime soon. In fact, there are a couple of manhwas and webtoons that got my attention but I just can't click with the style of then so I end up leaving them in my backlog.

@Hikage I don't read many shoujo or romance myself but I do have something similar I can recommend.
    - 5-toubun no Hanayome
    I began reading this not too long ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. Although it's a harem, the MC is not your typical dense idiot who all the girls fall in love at first sight with. The MC actually has a brain and rightfully had to earn the respect from the girls. Also, Miku is best girl.

- Horimiya
    This had a pretty stong beginning. Though, it loses its way halfway through but even so, it's still very enjoyable for the most part.

- Wotaku ni_Koi wa Muzukashii
    This one's pretty good. Chapters are pretty short, though. It also has an anime and it's airing this season so you can either watch it or read it.

- Ever Green
    I read this earlier this year and despite most people hated it (because of some events that happened and maybe the ending too) I really enjoyed it mostly because I'm a sucker for those types of endings. It's by the same author of Toradora.

- ReLIFE
    I haven't finished reading this one yet but from what I have read so far, it's really good.

- Renai Shimasen ka?
    This one's fairly short and pretty decent. Might be too generic but it's still somewhat enjoyable.

- Seishun Kouryakuhon
    This might be the only shoujo I enjoyed the most. It doesn't has any romance (ok, maybe a little but it's not the main focus) but it's really good. After you read it you end up wanting to go back to your highschool days and make or live that period of time to the max.

Yeah, that's about it. I'm not that good recommending stuff or convincing someone but I hope it does the job.
    HenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillersMynameisme9820
  • LazyrinthLazyrinth
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    I just started to be interested in manga. I only read romance though.
    SunnySideSkiesAdd
  • SourcedeauSourcedeau
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,640
    I used to watch anime then switched to manga and now I'm even reading the novel directly...

btw @BakaAniki , I saw "Zui Wu Dao" in your plan to read list , you can drop it , it got axed quickly so it got a unfinished crappy ending.
    HenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangPainKillers
  • SimpleSimple
    @BakaAniki
    I find manhwa to be more interesting than manga.. it's colored most of the times and instead of having different panels it's all just right there on a single page and you keep scrolling down.
    When I first started reading manga I got confused on which side of the page to start on.. but I don't have that same problem with manhwa
    @Lazyrinth I recommend reading "Let's Play" it's a webtoon
    I don't think the artist is korean and the artist actually communicates with the fans.
    It's classified in the romance genre.
    HenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • ImutoneImutone
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,120
    I haven't been keeping up with manga lately. There's far too much in my backlog for anime and videogames @_@.
    However, I will recommend the two I've been reading lately, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and Girl's Last Tour.

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is an autobiographical manga by Nagata Kabi. Honestly, there is more emphasis on the "loneliness" aspect over her sexuality but still plays a big role. I cannot recommend it enough.

Girl's Last Tour is post apocalyptic slice of life manga. The anime aired a few seasons back, but Tsukumizu art works best in her own manga.
    HikageHenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAdd
  • HikageHikage
    @Lazyrinth
    If you haven't started reading much romance here's a couple I couldn't recommend more.

Koe no Katachi
    You've likely heard of this or even read it, but it's definitely a #1 read for romance. The anime only gives a slight peek into the romance side to it, and cuts off before the romance takes off. But with such a heartfelt story and very real characters, it's brought me to tears several times for various reasons.

Koko ni Iru yo!
    I can't really say much about this being a big one that stands out, but the plot of the manga is exactly that and I feel can be super relate able in the characters. It's really cute, and I find it as a nice series to start with getting the feel for how most short Shoujo Romance series tend to be. (Also the MC is my handle's namesake)

Hiyokoi
    This one is awesome, it's cute, it's funny, it's heart tugging. It's a all around great romance. There was an OVA series released for it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. The manga is so incredibly cute and I recommend this highly.

@Imutone
    Girl's Last Tour is awesome :D
    HenirSinfulSaintSunnySideSkiesLordYuhangSubtractAddPainKillers
  • SubtractSubtract
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
  • SimpleSimple
    there's a new webtoon being released called age matters
    SunnySideSkiesPainKillers
  • SimpleSimple
    Started reading S.I.D. (Supernatural Investigation Department) and Killer Stalking
    holy they're both so good
    Simoon in S.I.D. has such amazing blue eyes..