Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Names Across Servers

SenpaiSamaSenpaiSama
MapleStory 2 Rep: 100
Posts: 2
Member
edited 10:57PM August 12, 2018 in General Chat
Hi, I was wondering if names are shared across all servers or if they're unique to each one. For example, if I take the name "Mapler" on NA West, does that mean I can't take it again on EU?

Best Answer

  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,645
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    Unique to each.
    During name reservation tomorrow, people can reserve a separate name on each server.
    NaosXtony

Answers

  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,645
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    Unique to each.
    During name reservation tomorrow, people can reserve a separate name on each server.
    NaosXtony
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,875
    Posts: 112
    Member
    You can create a character named "mapler" on every single server.
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    Posts: 397
    Member
    As others have mentioned, it is unique to each server. During the second closed-beta test, I was able to make a character on EU with the same exact name as a character I had on NA East, so in your example you could make a character named "Mapler" on EU but then also make a separate character on any of the other servers with the exact same name, assuming that someone else hadn't already taken "Mapler" on another server.
  • MarionetteMarionette
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,405
    Posts: 117
    Member
    What will ever happen once they end up re-merging the NA servers and people have the same names? Oh no!! Hindsight!
    Pots888poker
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    Posts: 248
    Member
    If they have to merg the server when there's only two then it wouldn't matter because that mean the game is beyond dead.

    We have MMORPG games that are 10 years old with more than 2 servers.
  • PokePoke
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 975
    Posts: 26
    Member
    MarkM wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, it is unique to each server. During the second closed-beta test, I was able to make a character on EU with the same exact name as a character I had on NA East, so in your example you could make a character named "Mapler" on EU but then also make a separate character on any of the other servers with the exact same name, assuming that someone else hadn't already taken "Mapler" on another server.

    Does this apply to NA East and West as well?
  • NaosNaos
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,115
    Posts: 104
    Member
    During a server merge it is traditional for GMs to set up players who have the same name to a no holds barred Deathmatch.
    Two toons enter, one toon leaves.....
  • SubglaciousSubglacious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,580
    Posts: 169
    Member
    Poke wrote: »
    MarkM wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, it is unique to each server. During the second closed-beta test, I was able to make a character on EU with the same exact name as a character I had on NA East, so in your example you could make a character named "Mapler" on EU but then also make a separate character on any of the other servers with the exact same name, assuming that someone else hadn't already taken "Mapler" on another server.

    Does this apply to NA East and West as well?

    Yes, players on NA East and West can have the same name
  • 888poker888poker
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited 1:46PM August 14, 2018
    Wow that's lame as. The name system should have been like original ms, first come first serve. Guess they catered for the name crybabies. Well, as we all know, this devalues all our igns (yes even the people who used, for instance 'Tiger' on all five servers lol). Not to mention there will be additional servers in the future so good luck trying to hog whatever name you got on every server, which going by ms1 standards, has about 20 servers so in the end there will be 20 Tigers lul.

    So lets do the math, original ms had around 20 servers individually. So 20 servers with Tiger, which they then merged all into 5 or something like that, by that point there will be 4 Tigers in each server hahaha.
  • MewmewGirlMewmewGirl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 740
    Posts: 15
    Member
    edited 2:29PM August 14, 2018
    888poker wrote: »
    Wow that's lame as. The name system should have been like original ms, first come first serve. Guess they catered for the name crybabies. Well, as we all know, this devalues all our igns (yes even the people who used, for instance 'Tiger' on all five servers lol). Not to mention there will be additional servers in the future so good luck trying to hog whatever name you got on every server, which going by ms1 standards, has about 20 servers so in the end there will be 20 Tigers lul.

    So lets do the math, original ms had around 20 servers individually. So 20 servers with Tiger, which they then merged all into 5 or something like that, by that point there will be 4 Tigers in each server hahaha.

    I don't think they'll be merging US East and US West in our playtimes, maybe one day when there are almost no players around anymore, but not anytime soon at all.

    There isn't a lot of reason to open up more servers here - they can have as many channels as they want. As far as I know in Korea they just had one giant server with 200 channels, and then they shift the amount of channels based on the number of people playing (someone please correct me if that's wrong). But if they do add any maybe servers in the same region could all use the same namecheck to make sure there is only one of that name in each region in the case of future merges.

    I don't think they have any need or reason to add more actual servers for this game based on how many channels they have, but we will see.
  • EvoraEvora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    Posts: 79
    Member
    I see on the reddit thread that many are taking random names in all servers, but I don't understand why. It's not like they can delete the name and then remake it on the server they're playing on, so what do they get out of it?

    Seems like all it does is ruin other people's chances to get that IGN on the server they play, unless I'm missing something. :s
    NaosSubglacious
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    Evora wrote: »
    I see on the reddit thread that many are taking random names in all servers, but I don't understand why. It's not like they can delete the name and then remake it on the server they're playing on, so what do they get out of it?

    Seems like all it does is ruin other people's chances to get that IGN on the server they play, unless I'm missing something. :s

    I am going to say, you are likely correct. They probably didn't put much thought into it and just decided they wanted those unique names even if they don't necessarily plan to use them. Seems silly, but then ... many people are.
    NaosSubglaciousEvora
  • EvoraEvora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    Posts: 79
    Member
    I'm not even reserving a name, so I'm pretty fudged either way, but it still bothers me that people are doing that. At the very least they should have limited people to 1 name in 2 different servers, so people undecided on NA West/East or Europe/NA East have a name in each one. The fact that they allowed people to make a character in all servers is just short-sighted by Nexon.

    Ah well.

  • NaosNaos
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,115
    Posts: 104
    Member
    In Nexon's defense, they TRIED.
    They specifically asked us NOT to do just that.

    Then they scripted the login procedure to autodetect your server region and jump you to character creation. Once you chose your name and it was accepted it kinda froze(lol) then kicked you from the server.

    What they did not do is prevent users from logging BACK in. Which then allowed you to go around the script and change your server. I am figuring they could not lock a login to a server region without issues.

    So really its on us players, we intentionally went around the system in place to do this.
  • EvoraEvora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    Posts: 79
    Member
    Oh it's definitely on us - I just wish Nexon did more. People paid money in order to reserve a name, only to find somebody over on a far-away server took it because... reasons. In my eyes, when there's money involved, I expect things to be professional and well thought-out.

    Maybe I'm overreacting on this. People not being considerate of others is probably my biggest trigger, and Nexon did the bare minimum to prevent it in this case.
    NaosMarchinBunny
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    edited 6:50PM August 14, 2018
    Evora wrote: »
    Oh it's definitely on us - I just wish Nexon did more. People paid money in order to reserve a name, only to find somebody over on a far-away server took it because... reasons. In my eyes, when there's money involved, I expect things to be professional and well thought-out.

    Maybe I'm overreacting on this. People not being considerate of others is probably my biggest trigger, and Nexon did the bare minimum to prevent it in this case.

    I think it's worse when people try and make excuses for doing it as well. It's just sad how a person can do something so questionable, and then make excuses for it like as if they were somehow entitled to do it even when explicitly asked not to. It's downright childish, and I agree. I really wish Nexon would have done something more to prevent it.
    Naos
  • ExigaExiga
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,065
    Posts: 98
    Member
    I'm afraid of a future server merge. Is this possible? In such a case would they force people with the same user name to change their name? (AKA: Eve becomes EveEU).