Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

Anyone else scared not getting their IGN?

Comments

• MeidogaruMeidogaru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,470
    My names are unlikely to be taken from the very get-go.
  • NilremNilrem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,050
    Maple Guide
    The only question I'll ever have regarding names is if this is one of those fancy MMOs that allows a single space in names.
    If it does, that opens up a lot of naming potential.
    If not, I'll pick a less common name.

Or knowing my luck with names in the past, somehow pick a name that nobody used despite it sounding common to the point of being taken in a heartbeat.
    You would be shocked at how many names I find that aren't taken after years.
  • SudohbucksSudohbucks
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    edited 7:52PM April 15, 2018
    Nilrem wrote: »
    The only question I'll ever have regarding names is if this is one of those fancy MMOs that allows a single space in names.
    If it does, that opens up a lot of naming potential.
    If not, I'll pick a less common name.

Or knowing my luck with names in the past, somehow pick a name that nobody used despite it sounding common to the point of being taken in a heartbeat.
    You would be shocked at how many names I find that aren't taken after years.

I've tried the character creation tool on CMS2 and the name selection restricts any special characters, including spaces and underscores. If GMS2 follows the same pattern (which I think it should), then seems like only numbers and letters will be allowed.
    NilremMewzia
  • lKarallKaral
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,965
    No I'm not scared I have so many main user names I'm sure one of them will be available.
  • BinimitesBinimites
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,390
    @Marceloxgt you are the original name master.
    Marceloxgt
  • CosmicKirbyCosmicKirby
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,440
    I have multiple lined up, so even if I don't get the one I 'really' want. I have several others lined up, one of which wasn't even taken on MS1 as late as a year ago.
  • KeneronKeneron
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,225
    edited 8:57AM April 17, 2018
    nunch wrote: »
    i remember the ms days when everyone had a stupid name and no one cared

(my ign was literally A5A555lNKID lol)

Omg, my first character was a mage named BurningChoas (I didn't know how to spell Chaos). The best part was that I was a Cleric not a F/P Wizard. Ex-dee. Needless to say, I realized how dumb I was, deleted my Cleric, and never looked back.
  • MalzerahMalzerah
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    I am quite picky when it comes to getting an IGN so I spent countless amount of time to come up with cool names lol. Should be just fine if some of them are taken
  • BaraBara
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    edited 9:30AM April 17, 2018
    Yes! I'm afraid the minute I begin playing Maplestory 2, all the available names I had will be taken... With the huge amount of time we have until release it's giving me a lot of time to come up with lists of IGNs so I won't end up being disappointed with dull IGN.
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,435
    Punish wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised they haven't announced some pack to pay and get your ign saved. Hopefully the game is released at a reasonable time for everyone but imo some names are pretty easy to get if you think outside the box. Either way I'm not worried about it. The only IGN I would ever want will probably be blocked anyways.

I paid for this on Blade and Soul and STILL didn't get the name i wanted. I knew there was a risk of that but lorde... i only have myself to blame for falling for that scam.
  • StabbyMcKnifeguyStabbyMcKnifeguy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,835
    I have a bunch of names that I can choose from to my heart's desires, so I'm fairly confident I'll nab at least a few of them.
  • SaitanaSaitana
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,060
    IGN Snipes Incoming
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • wenchbunwenchbun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,685
    My advice is to find a somewhat unique name that suits you so you for a couple of reasons. I used to use short names or anime and game character names back a few years ago, but that has so little personality in my view. So many people use that same name as you throughout the years in various other games and communities just because it's popular or a short and well known word. I was always much more happy with my character when I started using names that were unique and meant something to me, other than a character or random word that I liked because it was popular. Anyway, here are a few reasons.

It's personally connected to you or unique to you in some way. It might express your personality, your hobby, or something unique about you. Maybe it's just a name you love, but it has some deeper meaning than simply trying to get a popular word as a name.

It's normally easier to get! You generally won't have to worry about rushing through character creation to snag a username that 500 other people would use.

People you play with will have an easier time recalling you if they meet you in another game or quit and come back. Ask a player named "Cookie" if they're the same person who played such and such game with you in the past? There's a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it's not them.

There are probably more reasons, and it doesn't really matter what you do either way since it's all up to you. I just thought I'd share my opinion since I've been snagging popular names in games for a while and had some experience with it. My character names would always rotate too. I would start with a character I liked and next season I might not even like them anymore. Or the name would be taken so I'd just pick the next word I liked. Making a list of unique names that you personally like might be something you enjoy, who knows.
    LiviePiruru
  • HeirHeir
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,295
    On that note, how many character slots will we even receive?
    Nerdist
  • StrawberryPunchStrawberryPunch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,410
    edited 9:40AM April 17, 2018
    I'm always scared of loosing my ign.

Already lost the forum version of it WELP
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    I always worry about my names getting taken even though more than half of the time, they don't lol
    Heir wrote: »
    On that note, how many character slots will we even receive?

I'm guessing 5? ..Maybe more?
  • MinMiiMinMii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,155
    edited 12:59PM April 17, 2018
    Nobody like my ign. So I’m safe looks baby made it
  • SourcedeauSourcedeau
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,640
    edited 1:18PM April 17, 2018
    The IGN I take is never used , never. And I played a lot of games.
    GomiSeiko
  • firekrotchfirekrotch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 710
    its gonna be a fight for those smexy IGNs :) goodluck guys~
    specially to the player that would want a naruto name.
  • GahnzoGahnzo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,490
    Not really. I go by Gahnzo on almost every platform, but I rarely use it in games. Other than that, many of the names I use are pretty uncommonly used by anyone other than me.
    GomiSeiko