Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

[PATCH NOTES] Kritias Expansion - v18

CMKyriosCMKyrios
MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,735
Administrator
edited 2:10PM January 14, 2020 in Official News
forum-960x290.png

On December 11th, continue the epic story of light and darkness in the newest and biggest expansion for MapleStory 2! Following the tumultuous aftermath after the events of Blackshard Nexus, the instability in lapenta energy has liberated the frozen-in-time landmass once known as Kritias from it's chrono-slumber. Now, by Empress Ereve's command, ascend to meet the different characters of the Humanitas-- the rebel army-- and the Tairen Kingdom, led by the mysterious artificial intelligence known as Jessica.

Due to the volume of the patch notes, please go to our official webposting for more in-depth details on the v18 expansion update, Kritias!

See you on the other side, Maplers!

Comments

• IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,475
    edited 9:50AM December 11, 2019
    The gearing progression structure has changed in Kritias! Some items may come from places outside of dungeons and raids.

One question: are you guys doing this to spite the playerbase? When people asked for alternative ways to gear progression they were asking for, you know, alternatives. As in: "if you don't like running dungeons you can progress through OW" or "if you don't like doing OW stuff you can progress through dungeons". Remember when during the daily mission restructuring some people complained about having to do OW chores and others about having to run dungeons? You actually can cater to both these groups if you keep the progression separate but not by making them do the thing they said they despise...

Fair fight is applied

Speaking of spiteing the player base. What exactly is the point of bringing Fair Fight back when all the re-rollers are only for level 70 gear? I mean I could understand it if these were level 50-99 re-rollers but the only thing it serves is to kill the content (something you guys seem to enjoy, if I were to put it into a song) once the level 80 stuff comes around (What was it you said during the livestream? "we learned from our previous mistakes"? Yeah, not so sure about that one.). Speaking of you guys killing content: RIP RGB/BSN. Everyone who didn't make it during awakening will never experience this content since upgrading both the level 60 stuff in addition to the level 70 gear is just way too expensive for the average player.

Also, Kritias part 2 is all about ascended aka "trophy" gear. Remember when I said this in regards to the RGB dungeons:

This is going to be unplayable with casual pugs unless you can hard carry by massively overgearing.

and CMKyrios was like:

Then once they upgrade their weapons or armors a little further, it should be manageable.

Turns out I was spot on, what a surprise (not that this was hard to predict for everyone who does know how it is to play with casuals and doesn't just project the performance of the hardcore players on the rest of the playerbase). Wanna hear another one? Kritias part 2 is going to kill it for the casuals.

But seriously can you guys stop trying to use gear as a substtude for actual trophy rewards? There is nothing wrong with implementing super hard content for those who want a challenge but actual trophy raids / dungeons should always give out trophy rewards (cosmetics, mounts, damage skins, effect badges, titles, insignias, other stuff that doesn't impact character performance) and be balanced around maxed out BIS gear.
  • WliaWlia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,485
    Just another (and more) walls betven casuals who are still stuck on 60 stuff and those are already over geared for it...
  • NeedARealJobNeedARealJob
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 100
    I thought the level 70 epic gear given in the chest was supposed to bump your gear score straight to 28,000. Is that not the case? I can't run the new hard dungeon. I'm stuck at 27,560 with the level 60 epic accessories.
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,735
    Administrator
    edited 10:04AM December 12, 2019
    I thought the level 70 epic gear given in the chest was supposed to bump your gear score straight to 28,000. Is that not the case? I can't run the new hard dungeon. I'm stuck at 27,560 with the level 60 epic accessories.

As the first Hard Dungeon only rewards the top/bottom, the level 70 box positions you at a gear score that requires that you get a little bit more gear score to enter it. There are a few ways to do that:
    1. One of the higher level accessories from the previous level bracket, if you want to buy it from other players in the market.
    2. Doing faction missions and buying an accessory, which should bump you up.
    3. Doing faction missions and buying the level 70 epic gloves, boots, and helmets, and upgrading them to +10. The cost should be very reasonable, especially if you're doing the current holiday event.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    CMKyrios wrote: »
    3. Doing faction missions and buying the level 70 epic gloves, boots, and helmets, and upgrading them to +10. The cost should be very reasonable, especially if you're doing the current holiday event.

About these, is there a specific reason why only Nairin has the special missions that award the crystals required for the gear creation?
  • MoonJaeInMoonJaeIn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    안녕하십니꽈.
  • LicoriceCLicoriceC
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 800
    edited 7:25PM December 22, 2019
    My initial impression after a week. (I consider myself a casual player - was missing most of last month, no ascendant gear, mix of epic and legendary gear.)

One thing I looked forwards to in the expansion was that MS2 seems to be releasing us from the dungeons (for a mix of dungeons and world). The gear treadmill is still there, but there's reason to grind in overworld! I'll be able to get the legendary scrolls from the shops sometime early next week (aka reset).
    I found the lv50 faction missions miserable (the green hood ones disgusting). Thankfully, the new missions are more reasonable and they even encourage grouping. I finish all dailies in an hour or less when solo (interrupted by other activities like events and legion). This will speed up as I get better gear. I think you should've included in the official announcements that parties can help each other complete missions. It's a lot faster; you don't have to compete; and there are more reasons to party with strangers.
    Poing's riddles are a nice little touch. I've missed the little details of maple world.

The new dungeons: I'm only able to enter the first one due to my gs. I did my first few runs with a pub and no op geared members. We got through it all right - not too easy, not too hard. I used a mix of the navigator gear and my own gear. It felt like a good entry point. I'm also thankful we don't have another 3 set of gear to attain and enchant just to do dungeons.

The most annoying thing I find about legion is that it breaks up pre-existing parties. Does it really need to do that? Why can't it be like Kay's games?
    Gigantica requires a group of people to help take it down. I wonder how it and legions will fare in the future when they're no longer current content. Will there be improved rewards offered to encourage participation? Content in this game is sadly disposable.

The new lootbox monetization replacement hasn't really grown on me. I see others are ok with it, though because Nexon wants everyone to know through community chat notifications...

It feels like global MS2 gets less love and communication from the team nowadays. We get appearances before patches for announcements.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    LicoriceC wrote: »
    I wonder how it and legions will fare in the future when they're no longer current content. Will there be improved rewards offered to encourage participation?

Doubtful, if this was their intention they would have put in level 50-99 re-rollers. At least the old sky fortress content has crystal fragments which are actually useful beyond the initial release. No one is going to play this content anymore once the rewards (notably the re-rollers) are no longer relevant. Now this is less of a problem for the old world bosses as you can still solo them but this won't be possible for legion battles.