CM Kyrios explains the team's plans moving forward!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45796/

"Forging Onwards" by Kyrios

CMKyriosCMKyrios
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,955
Administrator
edited 12:32PM August 22, 2019 in Team Blogs
ms2w-219-180404-dev-blog-banner-forums-960x290.png

Dear Maplers,

Wow, it’s kind of weird to be the one writing the blog! Our team decided that with LAMBCOOK’s official departure from MapleStory 2, that I’d write a few blog posts until Producer Nimei returns to the office from her maternity leave in October.

This year has been a bit of a roller coaster so far, hasn’t it? We’ve had our high points and our low points, but for the most part I’m immensely proud of how far the game has come. If you ever get an opportunity to work in this kind of industry, I’m sure you’ll be surprised to see how deep the logistics go when it comes to localizing and developing unique features and systems for an existing game.

We’re approaching the final quarter of 2019, and with that, we’re also starting to approach the first year anniversary for MapleStory 2, as well as the next major expansion for the game, which will arrive before the end of this year!

Current Itinerary

I want to recap some of the previous livestream as well, and discuss why the next update will come in September. While we technically could deploy an August content update, it would be hard to guarantee appropriate time to fix any critical bugs that could potentially appear. This includes updating the Style Crate, which would require us to patch the game as well. Meret Market updates, on the other hand, can be done without requiring a new patch for the game, so we’ll have a few additions to the Meret Market. Some of you may have seen a certain Pink and Beany friend make an appearance on our social media. You'll see our adorable friend in your local Meret Market come August 29th along with the other additions! The best part? You’ll be able to buy the emote separately no strings attached, for a mere 300 Blue Merets! Another choice addition you’ll see to the Meret Market are the hotly requested Fox Ears, which have eluded players for the longest time.

pb-chair.png

Now, that all being said, the next update for MapleStory 2 will come in the middle of September rather than at the end of the month. In addition to our best in-game events and sales yet, it’ll come with a slew of bug fixes and a few noteworthy quality of life improvements.

We will still have anniversary and holiday events, and you’ll find a myriad of useful and fun rewards from them (including a few, choice, scrolls of interest...).

In the Meantime...

What of the month preceding, some of you may be wondering? You’ll have a few weeks between the end of August and the September update, and we are planning to run a few useful events for everyone. I won’t reveal all of them right now, but some of the ones we’ll be running include extending the 25% weekend enchanting discount, doubling drops in all level 60 Hard Adventure Dungeons (yes that includes Lapenshard fragments!), and discounting furnishing in your houses by 50%, all until the September update lands. These events will start near the end of this month.

In Closing

We have tried our best to keep you in the loop and be as transparent as possible with our proceedings, and we will continue to do so into the foreseeable future. We’re immensely thankful for our fans who continue to play and support the game, and hope that MapleStory 2 will continue to head in a good direction.

We’ll have more news to share as we come closer to September, so please stay tuned until then!

Faithfully your CM,
Kyrios

Comments

• KellyyKellyy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    Anniversary Mushking Royale?
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,950
    edited 12:22PM August 27, 2019
    CMKyrios wrote: »
    We have tried our best to keep you in the loop and be as transparent as possible with our proceedings, and we will continue to do so into the foreseeable future.

That's actually not the case, you guys have been incredibly intransparent when it comes to key issues. You guys said that you don't want GMS2 to be a P2W game and you actually removed all the P2W stuff from the shop which is something I can give you credit for but why on earth are you guys so hesitant to do something about all the game mechanics which were originally designed to "force" players to buy these P2W items / are designed with P2W gear in mind? The clear count restrictions only exist so players would be incentivised to buy upgrade catalysts from the cash shop, with that gone why still keeping them? Most players hate them and they only cause further problems (e.g. altstory 2). The stat resistances on level 60+ bosses only exist because of some P2W mechanics which dont exist in this version of the game and yet you still decided to keep them because ???. There is pretty much no transparency here and the little tranceparacy that we get are based on slip ups which make the GMS2 team look like they don't know what they are doing, to give you an example:

hWuRDcx.png

This right here is the most stupid s**t I've read in a long time and proves that they are either purposefully lying to the community or are completely incompetent, one of these 2 options has to be true (and we don't know which one cause lack of transparency but if I had to take a guess I'd say it's the former one because I just don't think they're that incompetent) because:

- level 50 asc gear has the same upgrade costs as level 60 gear of the same "rarity" meaning upgrading level 60 leg gear is a lot cheaper than upgrading level 50 asc gear

- in order to "faceroll" that raid hard enough that getting level 50 asc gear could be considered "too easy" you'd already need gear which is at least on par with the gear in question which would make getting it rather redundant

- even if level 50 asc gear is as strong as level 60 leg gear you can't use it to progress towards level 60 asc gear because it doesn't have the required lapenshard resonances

The whole notion that level 50 asc gear would "completely screw the equipment progression" is just nonsense for the same reason why no one bothers with level 50 leg gear anymore despite the fact that it's still about as powerful as the level 60 epic gear. It's just to cost ineffective without a single upside vs. the alternatives. This is obvious for everyone with at least half a working brain, now the story would be completely different if the ascended gear you acquire is scaled up to the level of the player in question (which is something I'd actually be in favor of) but this of course is not the case here which means that there is no point in "completely rebalancing the content" to take gear into consideration which would already make the rewards obsolete by default.

Now personally I don't care about this stuff but if this is how they approach other topics (which they most certainly do) then this would explain a lot.
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,955
    Administrator
    edited 4:17PM August 27, 2019
    IllIIl wrote: »

You are always welcome to your opinion, even if it comes across as exceedingly aggressive!

You cannot directly buy upgrade catalysts from the cash shop in other regions, outside of the occasional booster pack; those are very limited. There is a very strong reason why Chaos Onyx is lacking in the other regions' economy (and, if you were to ask those players why they play alts; it's for the Chaos Onyx specifically), whereas here Chaos Onyx supply is doing just fine, more than fine even. Even the Onyx Crystal market in GMS2 has settled drastically, and from our observed trends the improved event rewards have significantly helped with that, to which future event rewards will continue this trend.

Stat resistances were ultimately seen as a system that didn't affect players enough to remove it completely by the team. No one complained about them during 60 Chaos progression (and when asked, players simply stated "because the raids were easy"), and only took real notice during Blackshard Nexus progression, which they ultimately were able to pass as well. We intend to keep the system as it is from the other regions, but they have mindfully removed the system altogether after receiving feedback from all relevant high end contents in the next tier.

I know you have been a fierce advocate of removing run limitations. But I will tell you right now, the team will never remove run count limitations from Hard Adventure Dungeons or Chaos Raids, no matter how many times you ask. You can bring it up as many times as you want, but unfortunately it will never happen.

The quoted block you posted also includes an inference from me from before I was staff and when I wondered the same thing; not an official answer, which I clarified in the first sentence. But even then, it's out of context, considering it was from a post where players were asking Chaos Balrog (a level 50 boss) to be added as a level 60 content rewarding Ascendant fragments, a rather abstract idea, but one that I was willing to provide an answer on regardless.

Thank you for your valued feedback nonetheless as always, even if it comes across a bit direct at times!
    Xio_len
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,950
    edited 11:35AM August 28, 2019
    You are always welcome to your opinion, even if it comes across as exceedingly aggressive!

And why wouldn't I be? Nexon still refuses to tackle the core issues of the game with no explanation given as for why. I've seen multiple of my friends quit the game because you guys are not solving the issues and I'm not talking about the stuff that "takes time". Players bring up an issue and Nexon responds with "the team will never do X no matter how many times our players ask" and then when people finally shut up about it Nexon turns around and says stuff like "see no one complains about it so everything must be A-Okay", all this while still claiming stuff like "We have tried our best to keep you in the loop and be as transparent as possible with our proceedings". You know that this sentence would have also hold true if you can't be transparent at all which (looking at several issues) seems to be case for the most part.

Also, I'd like to stress that every criticism I make no matter how harsh it sounds is primarily aimed towards the subject matter. I'm aware that employee X might feel diferent about a certain subject then employee Y but the decision the team as a whole (or whoever has the last word for that matter) makes is what affects players ingame. Personally I'd rather praise Nexon for how good they solved all these issues and play the game instead of making all these forum posts but I can't because the game is constantly telling me to f**k off until the next reset.

You cannot directly buy upgrade catalysts from the cash shop in other regions, outside of the occasional booster pack; those are very limited. There is a very strong reason why Chaos Onyx is lacking in the other regions' economy (and, if you were to ask those players why they play alts; it's for the Chaos Onyx specifically), whereas here Chaos Onyx supply is doing just fine, more than fine even. Even the Onyx Crystal market in GMS2 has settled drastically, and from our observed trends the improved event rewards have significantly helped with that, to which future event rewards will continue this trend.

But the issue is far from solved. If you don't slack on your farming you have chaos onyx in abundance, notice how no one complains about that aside from stuff like people wanting more diversity in regards to what they can farm in order to obtain it? This is how it should have been for the other catalysts as well but nope, one character can't sustain their own needs which means that players are "forced" to play alts they can't stand while it's also used to justify the character bound on items (another thing players hate) which is punishing for those who actually like playing more than one character.

More events are not going to solve the issue, it's just a band-aid solution and like others already said I'd rather see some event rewards which aren't stuff I should be able to get though normal gameplay.

No one complained about them during 60 Chaos progression (and when asked, players simply stated "because the raids were easy"), and only took real notice during Blackshard Nexus progression, which they ultimately were able to pass as well.

This is a very dangerous way to look at things and you should abandon this line of thinking ASAP. There are generally 2 reasons as for why people don't complain about something: A: because there's nothing to complain about and B: because people have already given up hope and feel like there is no point in doing so anymore and let me tell you this: it's usually the later.

Also, I've never seen you conduct a poll on these topics so I highly doubt that your sample size can be representative for the community as a whole. I've seen people complain about this in game but most people don't use stuff like the forums and those who do are generally not the casuals who make up for the majority of the playerbase which is why you see these kinds of complains more when it comes to end game content as these players are usually more outspoken when it comes to these issues but you're deluding yourself if you think that this is not an issue for the more casual players when it comes to the "lesser" content.

The quoted block you posted also includes an inference from me from before I was staff and when I wondered the same thing; not an official answer, which I clarified in the first sentence. But even then, it's out of context, considering it was from a post where players were asking Chaos Balrog (a level 50 boss) to be added as a level 60 content rewarding Ascendant fragments, a rather abstract idea, but one that I was willing to provide an answer on regardless.

Irrelevant, in the part I quoted you were specifically talking about how level 50 asc gear (and not some upscaled level 60 stuff) would "completely screw the equipment progression" which makes absolutely no sense. All 3 level 60 chaos raids can be cleared with both level 50 leg and level 50 asc gear, everything after that requires level 60 leg / asc gear meaning that it ultimately wouldn't have made any difference as the gear progression would still be the same regardless. Even if it was just your guess it still reflects badly on the GMS2 team as it shows just how poorly their intentions are communicated to the player base and they would have to have a at least similar reason because the alternatives would be even worse but this brings us back to the actual main criticism of my previous post because this:

I know you have been a fierce advocate of removing run limitations. But I will tell you right now, the team will never remove run count limitations from Hard Adventure Dungeons or Chaos Raids, no matter how many times you ask. You can bring it up as many times as you want, but unfortunately it will never happen.

Is a perfect example of what I was talking about: zero transparency. When they initially talked about the dungeon caps Nexon had this to say:

NXACuddles wrote: »
    we wanted to reduce polarization between hardcore and casual players and promote party play between all types of players. We believe this system allows you to get gear/resources needed within a reasonable amount of time

As time has proven it didn't "reduce polarization between hardcore and casual players" in fact it made it worse as the hardcore players just started farming over multiple chars / accounts which is something the more casual players are obviously not going to do. Nor did it promote "party play between all types of players", again the opposite is true. I've seen people getting kicked out of raid groups countless times for not having done some of their basic progression and the main thing that prevents people from finishing this stuff are the dungeon caps, which again are hurting new / struggling players and despite the fact that the clear count limits failed its initial goal, the enormous number of other problems it causes and how unpopular it is Nexon still vehemently refuses to get rid of them of course with no explanation given as for why so thx @Kyrios for proving my point once again.
  • SnickySnicky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 430
    edited 7:28AM August 29, 2019
    That somne people get kicked out of parties u can't blame the GM's or anyone for . That is the attitude of high geared [ lvl ] players who just demand u have high + legend gear to even be able to take part of there party . Those people should just open up for others who ain't high + geared , we suppose to work alongside eachother [ some call it gettting caried ] , but some high lvl [ rich people ] in game ruin it for alot new ones or lower leveld / lower geared players . And what causing the outstream of players is also the new games brought on the , market where people move to . But there are still people around the less the amount might be . It is said by alot that the game is to much a grinding dungeons [ kinda true ] , hopefully they come back one day and make it also in a way that side quests make it more attractive to people where u can gain useable items off u need to make a progress in game . So not just the skyfortress quests only , I know they removed the dailyquests but hat was only connected to earn prestigechests in a different way then we do now .
    Anura_Flein
  • NovuhzNovuhz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,425
    edited 2:05AM August 30, 2019

Is a perfect example of what I was talking about: zero transparency. When they initially talked about the dungeon caps.

Thank you for not removing limit cap because that would pretty much kill the game for many players.

But the issue is far from solved. If you don't slack on your farming you have chaos onyx in abundance, notice how no one complains about that aside from stuff like people wanting more diversity in regards to what they can farm in order to obtain it? This is how it should have been for the other catalysts as well but nope, one character can't sustain their own needs which means that players are "forced" to play alts they can't stand while it's also used to justify the character bound on items (another thing players hate) which is punishing for those who actually like playing more than one character.

More events are not going to solve the issue, it's just a band-aid solution and like others already said I'd rather see some event rewards which aren't stuff I should be able to get though normal gameplay.

I don't really run alts for onyx crystal/chaos onyx and I'm doing just fine doing dungeons/raids on only my main. Not only that but I have 2 mains so I need resources for both characters yet I'm still doing fine. (They are both full ascendant gear)

So the fact is one character can sustain their own needs.
    Anura_
  • Anura_Anura_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,205
    edited 12:35AM August 31, 2019
    please read my wall of aggressive whiny bullshit and hate on everyone but myself
    I was planning to rebuke each one of your arguments (if they qualify to be called that) but you're just so full of shít that I just decided not to.
    Seriously, you must be living under the rock that you hit your head on if you think Nexon has "a lack of transparency".
    If you hate the game so much, why are you even here? It's evident you don't play the game anymore.

• littledrummlittledrumm
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 100
  • Xio_lenXio_len
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 315

Stat resistances were ultimately seen as a system that didn't affect players enough to remove it completely by the team. No one complained about them during 60 Chaos progression (and when asked, players simply stated "because the raids were easy"), and only took real notice during Blackshard Nexus progression, which they ultimately were able to pass as well. We intend to keep the system as it is from the other regions, but they have mindfully removed the system altogether after receiving feedback from all relevant high end contents in the next tier.

Thank you for your valued feedback nonetheless as always, even if it comes across a bit direct at times!

Compare to the CMS2 team, the GMS2 team have already done a very much better job to lead the game to the right direction and some changes made by the GMS2 team have also been implemented into CMS2 and KMS2. As a player also playing in CMS2, I would like to thank you and the team for the improved game content.
    Just one thing I would like to mention, In CMS2 the main issue for this version (the eye of lapenta version) is: even with great efforts, many new players joined at the beginning of this version still can't meet requirement to enter the final dungeon before the version ends (when level 80 version released) , because we have to up grade all three sets of legends to over +13 (in fact, the common requirement in CMS2 is +15 legends) and then start to level up the RGB lapentas for another several months with a chance to fail, this issure have been fixed by project new leaf in GMS2, but just beware that if the required progressing time for new players are too long, they may also lose their interest and motivation to catch up with old players and leave the game. In the current version in CMS2 (the level 80 version, Turka boss), old players don't need to run the legend dungeons due to they can already transfer their +15 to the new legend weapons on the first week, and have shown no interest on the 10 ppl asc dungeon drops (only asc assessors that not better than what people using) , many of CMS2 old players consider that the level 80 version have very little things to play with (so they off to play other games), but it does offer a chance for new player to catch up (so it looks like a issue for the balance between old and new players).
    Above are just some experience from my CMS2 play, hope those issues would't happen in GMS2.
    Anura_
  • Mat2Mat2
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 825
    Anura_ wrote: »
    please read my wall of aggressive whiny bullshit and hate on everyone but myself
    I was planning to rebuke each one of your arguments (if they qualify to be called that) but you're just so full of shít that I just decided not to.
    Seriously, you must be living under the rock that you hit your head on if you think Nexon has "a lack of transparency".
    If you hate the game so much, why are you even here? It's evident you don't play the game anymore.

I think both sides had some pretty good points myself but I do think think "lack of transparency" isn't the complaint they're looking for. Sounds more to me like they meant the problem they have with what Kyrios said is "making vapid excuses to not fix things" but I don't know enough about the subject to have any real opinions on the matter myself.

Also @IllIIl , word of advice: Don't shoot the messenger... PR people only say what they're allowed to say by their bosses, that's how their jobs work. Also their bosses might tell them what to say but I think that detail varies. Also in the future, try to properly collect your thoughts so you don't wind up using the wrong complaint again. You don't want to invoke GIGO when giving feedback, that never ends well.
    Anura_