Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

BulbasaurBulbasaur
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
edited 9:27PM June 15, 2019 in General Chat
At the time of the update, the Steam peak concurrent user count increased from ~1.4k to ~2.9k. After the first week the peak decreased to ~2.4k. After the second week the peak decreased to ~1.9k. If the decline continues at the same rate, we'd reach approximately the pre-update peak within 2 weeks. Clearly this update failed to bring back many players contrary to what some folks here hoped for, and it should be blatantly obvious why. Hey Nexon, how about you completely overhaul this game rather than adding more content on top of a flawed game design?

Comments

• IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,190
    Well yeah, all of the major problems the game is suffering from are still present and the recent update even exacerbated some of them. That's what you get if all they do is fighting the symptoms while leaving the root cause allone.
    Agent_DragonfuryDefraglife
  • supermikysupermiky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,945
    Maple Guide
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    At the time of the update, the Steam peak concurrent user count increased from ~1.4k to ~2.9k. After the first week the peak decreased to ~2.4k. After the second week the peak decreased to ~1.9k. If the decline continues at the same rate, we'd reach approximately the pre-update peak within 2 weeks. Clearly this update failed to bring back many players contrary to what some folks here hoped for, and it should be blatantly obvious why. Hey Nexon, how about you completely overhaul this game rather than adding more content on top of a flawed game design?
    Have you considered that there can be exams or such school things/work that may be affecting this as well, Pokemon? Also, the steam count is not the real indicative of the population. Most players uses the Nexon Launcher.
    Agent_DragonfuryNakagyo
  • SylqtSylqt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,305
    In my guild we had a heavy upswing in new members and activity that lasted about 2 weeks, then a lot of people realised the rng in dungeon boxes/30runs + lack of stuff other than dungeons/raids was still there and slowly stopped playing again. Like almost all of the new members of my guild have given up already, lots of them because they struggled to get into groups outside of the guild.

I'm already tired out because I got burnt/unlucky with my first week of dungeons and now am finding it annoying to catch up with people who already have done the raids etc. The community is the biggest roadblock, and i thought it might change a little with new raids and stuff, but within 3 days people were selling runs and the group finder was full of "you need this GS/attack score to do this dungeon". I just got tired of this mentality, I can't even be bothered to get declined from parties for not having leg gear.

I've always been a huge advocate and patient as hell with this game. But I'm struggling to find reasons to want to log in anymore. I'm bored of the 30 dungeon treadmill, and I'm tired of the nasty people who gate-keep newer players. If even your biggest fans are starting to give up, there must be something wrong with the formula of the game : <
    MiahooAgent_DragonfuryNakagyoDefraglife
  • MiahooMiahoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 655
    Sylqt wrote: »
    Snip

My thoughts exactly. Well said.
    Nakagyo
  • NilremNilrem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,050
    Maple Guide
    Honestly, outside of the 2-3 days of weekly dungeons and raids...
    There just isn't anything to really do.
    Most days I just login, do premium dungeon, green quest dailies, and maybe poke sky fortress dailies since I do weeklies alongside dungeons and raids.
    I never have a reason to actually stay on, as the only social activity is hanging out at Queenstown.

There just isn't anything to do.

What ever happened to those PvP minigames? I know Arena is dead but the chaos of those games were at least enjoyable.
    At this point I wouldn't even mind a revamped Mushking.
    Just Something.
    An actual reason to even be online.
    Agent_DragonfuryNakagyo
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    Sylqt wrote: »
    I'm bored of the 30 dungeon treadmill, and I'm tired of the nasty people who gate-keep newer players.

It's not really the people who "gate-keep" player progression. It's their incredibly linear game design in combination with the stupid clear count restrictions. The former leads to players flooding into content which is designed for the more "hardcore" parts of the playerbase becuse there is no other way to progress your caracter which is more often than not an unpleasant experience for both groups of players, the later makes people feel like they are missing out if they don't do all the runs and forces them to do them asap otherwise have fun finding a party. "nasty people" wouldn't have the the power to do anything if the game offered more diverse ways to progress, if anything this is a failure on the developers part and they even doubled down on this iirc.

One of the root causes here is Nexons unhealthy desire to be your "progression nanny". This has several negative consequences. Firstly it disincentivizes players to progress at all, when they announced the awakening update we still had a couple of months left which would be more than enough to cap out your gear in most other RPGs but thanks to the clear count restrictions there is pretty much no point in even trying. It also means that the endgame isn't focused around min-maxing like it is in pretty much every other RPG. You just wait until you get something you deem to be "good enough" and stick with it. If it takes like half a year to upgrade one piece of equipment and you're like 80% done you're not going to start all over again just because you got a slightly better version of your current gear.

Assuming you got some good accessories from the BM unlocking all gemstone slots takes up to 26 accessory catalysts or 416 fragments for each accessory. Which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the clear count restrictions. You get on average about 80 fragments per week meaning that it takes up to 16 weeks if you want to get your accessories done through game play.

Nexon said that most people were "geared enough" for the new content which was obviously not the case. They apparently looked at the top players and reflected that on the rest of the community like they always do.
    Agent_DragonfuryNakagyo
  • jlaijlai
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 810
    Remove the damn dungeon cap. Let the players who wants to grind, grind. Grinding and progressing is a big part of playing in an MMO and capping the progress will cause many players to not continue to play.
    tekkenNakagyoDeWoo
  • tekkentekken
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    jlai wrote: »
    Remove the damn dungeon cap. Let the players who wants to grind, grind. Grinding and progressing is a big part of playing in an MMO and capping the progress will cause many players to not continue to play.

trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Nakagyo
  • supermikysupermiky
    Maple Guide
    jlai wrote: »

Actually, there may be negative effects if dungeon cap is removed. Look at what happened to Closers, they removed stamina, yet there are now lesser players, because it has caused players to feel more and more burnt out.
    Nakagyo
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 1:44PM June 20, 2019
    supermiky wrote: »
    Actually, there may be negative effects if dungeon cap is removed. Look at what happened to Closers, they removed stamina, yet there are now lesser players, because it has caused players to feel more and more burnt out.

Everything leads to burnout if you overdo it but going by that logic we might as well put clear count restrictions on world bosses. But seriously without clear count restrictions there is no reason to do X amount of dungeons per week anymore in order to progress with your character, well you'd still want to do at least 30 before the weekly reset but these can just be balrog as doing dungeon X wouldn't mean that you can't do dungeon Y anymore and there also wouldn't be any reason to get your runs done asap as it would be much easier to find parties throughout the week.
    Nakagyo
  • admonituadmonitu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,335
    More people may use Nexon launchers but steam counts can still tell us the pattern of population increases and decreases.

For example, 1.9k in Steam no way tell us anything about the actual population count since not all players use Steam.

But if you observe a 30% decrease in population in Steam, most likely there is a overall 30% decrease in game population as well.
    DeWoo
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
    edited 9:06PM July 11, 2019
    Steam count has now dropped to pre-update levels.

cbuCXky.png

I'm willing to wager that the devs are completely oblivious as to why this update is not successful in attracting and maintaining a large player base.
  • SylqtSylqt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,305
    Well as someone who has now moved on from the game (and sadly, still keeping up with the forum and the game because I really did love the look/feel of it), the majority of people I know who are still playing are reporting great drops in numbers in their guilds too, and these are the more hardcore guilds. This makes me sad, but I'm also not surprised. Even with all the raids the people I know are heavily disappointed with BSN and the mechanics surrounding it.

I think it's easy to attribute just went wrong, even though a lot of things were addressed in PNL, the main issues that were driving people away were not. I also feel like the developers were not looking at the broader audience and only focusing on the loudest voices.

A lot of us were patient and waiting for the awakening update hoping it would bring lots of new content, and it did but in the forms of raids only. Outside of raids, there is nothing really of value to do anymore, either that or it was removed with new leaf (farming treasure chests for keys, pet farming, treva farm)

I appreciate how hard Nexon worked, I salute how much they have tried to mold it for our audience, but it just wasn't enough to fix all the issues the game had before it came here. All I know is I had an excellent time with how long I played, however the fun and social aspect that drew me in was ultimately not capitalised on.

I would consider returning if there was a big enough carrot on a stick. But it has to be a gigantic one.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    I'm willing to wager that the devs are completely oblivious as to why this update is not successful in attracting and maintaining a large player base.

I doubt that they are completely oblivious, it looks more like a combination of 4 things:

- the basic structure of the game which is dictated by the korean developers

- their overall stinginess (e.g. you find videos on YT where people throw hundreds of reroll scrolls at an item without getting any decent roll but somehow they thought that just giving out 3 scrolls per week is a good idea, the pluto stuff was essentially dead on arrival thanks to the lack of reroll scrolls

- their overly focus on the "hardcore" players (and I'm not just talking about the content itself here)

- them being to scared to make the big changes the game so desperately needs cause they're still hoping that small changes to X and Y will do the trick
    Sylqt
  • supermikysupermiky
    Maple Guide
    Steam count has now dropped to pre-update levels.

cbuCXky.png

They did say that they can't promise anything, but marriage system will hopefully be within this year. Also, they're introducing the event for helping new players.
  • AsukuraAsukura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,460
    Maybe Nexon will pull a miracle (doubt it) and make a competent move. Maybe MS2 will follow in FFXIV's footstep and improve.

Or die.
  • ÄrtÄrt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,380

Asukura wrote: »
    Maybe Nexon will pull a miracle (doubt it) and make a competent move. Maybe MS2 will follow in FFXIV's footstep and improve.

Or die.

Already died from the looks of it.

I hope taking a dump all over months of progress behind gemstones was worth it for temporary short lived increase. Then new content was released without any changes taking into account free increase in power, clearable on first week in 7 man parties, even 4 man if you were really good...on first week lol. That indicated how easy it would be with new +15 leg not to mention +15 nexus gear. At that point it wasnt an mmo, it was an activity that you get bored of quite fast.

Good luck ^^
    Novuhz