Learn everything about the Skilled Ally update this month from the patch notes!

>> http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/51769/skilled-ally-update-v15

Do You Need 10 Characters to Farm Gear Still?

King_ZelosKing_Zelos
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,190
in General Chat
I'm a one character type of player. And I remember when the game launched that in order to actually farm your gear you needed mutiple characters because there were caps on how many materials you can get on one character. Is this still a thing? Honestly I dropped the game pretty soon after finding out about this feature. Has the game greatly changed since release?

Comments

• IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,830
    edited 7:22PM May 5, 2019
    King_Zelos wrote: »
    I'm a one character type of player. And I remember when the game launched that in order to actually farm your gear you needed mutiple characters because there were caps on how many materials you can get on one character. Is this still a thing?

Yes, clear count restrictions are still a thing and Nexon hasn't even acknowledged that being forced to run multiple chars in order to progress on your main is a problem they want to address despite the fact that this is one if not the top complaint people still have with the game.

This also led to some other very negative consequences. I've seen people develop an irrational hatred of alts (not because of them having to play one but in regards to the possibility that the other player could be playing on one) to the point where they start insulting other players (or exhibit some other rather toxic behavior) if they think that the other guy is playing on an alt.

King_Zelos
  • King_ZelosKing_Zelos
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,190
    IllIIl wrote: »
    I'm a one character type of player. And I remember when the game launched that in order to actually farm your gear you needed mutiple characters because there were caps on how many materials you can get on one character. Is this still a thing?

Yes, clear count restrictions are still a thing and Nexon hasn't even acknowledged that being forced to run multiple chars in order to progress on your main is a problem they want to address despite the fact that this is one if not the top complaint people still have with the game.

This also led to some other very negative consequences. I've seen people develop an irrational hatred of alts (not because of them having to play one but in regards to the possibility that the other player could be playing on one) to the point where they start insulting other players (or exhibit some other rather toxic behavior) if they think that the other guy is playing on an alt.

Oof... so nothing has really changed. Shame really. So many people were looking forward to MS2 actually being the next big MMO, but man what a let down it has been. Oh well guess I wont be touching the game. Maybe they'll get it right in another 10 years when MS3 comes out.
  • NakagyoNakagyo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    edited 7:45AM May 6, 2019
    Same u_u

• XenociderOmegaXenociderOmega
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,780
    I only play 1 character and do fine you only need more if you going hardcore
  • NovuhzNovuhz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,415
    You can play 1 character and be fine. Not sure what's your problem.

Only if you want to go hardcore and rush everything then yes you will need alts. There's no need to rush anything, think about it.
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,430
    Pick your poison:

Run 1 char: Be gated by conyx supply and have a surplus of weapon copies

Run 10 alts: Worry less about Conyx, but gated by Weapon/Armor copy supply. The market can only provide so much you know?

That said. to catch up to the current community before the next update, you're pretty much stuck with needing to run alts.
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,855
    Administrator
    IllIIl wrote: »

Hi,

The reason it hasn't been addressed yet is because we're still reviewing and discussing methods of improving single-character progression without equally empowering alts. We're aware of how heavily encouraged high-number alt play is and it's something we're regularly discussing internally as well to look for ways to correct this in future updates. Small victories to solve big issues.

We've looked at many different options, most of which have already been suggested within the forums and other channels. If you want an official "is Nexon ever going to address this?" the answer is we are looking into it, and we'll need more time. Time to not only find solutions, but tweak them for specific progression mapping with accurate mathematical data on exactly how much it'll influence player economy and progression speed based on data that only we can pull from our end. Then time to actually develop whichever solutions we come up with, followed by deploying it in patches.

The moment we have anything we can share on the matter, we will let everyone know immediately.
    IllIIlSylqt
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 6:24PM May 6, 2019
    LuminaEdge wrote: »
    Pick your poison:

Run 1 char: Be gated by conyx supply and have a surplus of weapon copies

Run 10 alts: Worry less about Conyx, but gated by Weapon/Armor copy supply. The market can only provide so much you know?

But it's not really a choice now is it? You're always better of "running 10 chars" as you can sell surplus catalysts to buy more weapon fodder (or whatever else you want to have). Not to mention that there's really no point in going for +15 if you only run one char as they are most likely going to move on with the content by the time you got the required catalysts for the upgrade (of one piece of your equipment) meaning you're better off getting to +10-11 and then ignore the game for the next 3-6 months.

CMKyrios wrote: »
    The reason it hasn't been addressed yet is because we're still reviewing and discussing methods of improving single-character progression without equally empowering alts.

Then just remove the clear count restrictions and let people progress at their own pace. Without clear count restrictions there would be few reasons to play an alt unless you actually like the gameplay which is how it should be. Right now thanks to these restrictions:

- people feel pressured to get the runs over with as fast as possible to avoid not finding a party

- people who are "late" are going to have trouble finding a party for their dungeons

- people avoid helping new players with dungeons they don't need in order to avoid "wasting a run"

- there is no real reason to play the game 5/7 days because the content you want to play is already capped

- people feel forced to play chars they don't like if they don't want to take like half a year for one piece of equipment, this makes the game less enjoyable for them, everyone who has to deal with them playing a char they don't enjoy and everyone who actually likes playing their alts but is now getting undeserved hate from those who can't stand alts because of group one

- people avoid properly gearing up their alts (even if they like playing them) thanks to how limited the resources required for these upgrades are

- discourages people from upgrading their gear if new content is on the horizon

- keeps players from upgrading at all as they wait for a weapon with the right bonus attributes which can take months given how time gated everything is leading to them getting frustrated thanks to being screwed over by bad RNG time and time again

If some people want to grind out their chars let them, these people know what they're getting themselves into. They want this part of their character progression to be over with as quick as possible so they can move on to their alts or try to get perfect rolls on their bonus attributes (which currently no one really does cause it's pointless with all the time gating) while everyone else isn't going to grind 24/7.

Also the "player economy" should never be a concern here, it will adapt to the changes anyways and it's already bad enough that buying your gear is a more viable way gear up then actually playing the content in question. Gear not being tradable isn't a problem as long as people can properly farm for it, the BM should be complementary at best.

CMKyrios wrote: »
    If you want an official "is Nexon ever going to address this?" the answer is we are looking into it

See, that's all I wanted to know because know I can say "they're working on it" instead of "I don't know if that's even something they want to address".
  • OhzmaOhzma
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 745
    Remove weekly limits, make daily limits account bound. Perhaps change the daily limits to a higher/lower amount, I'd say increase honestly, considering you can do about 150 dungeons in a day if you have 10 characters and want to dungeon grind.

Weekly limits could still apply for certain types of dungeons I guess, but same would apply; I'd increase the limits if it would be account shared.

Honestly it's not just the dungeons, most if not all that is character bound is just dumb... I'd flat out remove that and I'm sure many others would agree.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 6:14PM May 7, 2019
    Ohzma wrote: »
    Remove weekly limits, make daily limits account bound. Perhaps change the daily limits to a higher/lower amount, I'd say increase honestly, considering you can do about 150 dungeons in a day if you have 10 characters and want to dungeon grind.

Weekly limits could still apply for certain types of dungeons I guess, but same would apply; I'd increase the limits if it would be account shared.

Daily limits would lead to the same issues just on another scale. Weekly rewards like the Adventure Dungeon Bonus Boxes or the Rank Clear Boxes can stay weekly but the basic rewards should drop every time you clear a dungeon.

Ohzma wrote: »
    Honestly it's not just the dungeons, most if not all that is character bound is just dumb... I'd flat out remove that and I'm sure many others would agree.

At the very least things should be account bound.