Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Gemstone Changes

CMKyriosCMKyrios
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,145
Administrator
edited 7:28PM April 17, 2019 in Project New Leaf
gemstone-changes-forum.png

[Updated April 17]: Thanks for all the feedback! We're making a quick update to inform you that with this change, the Gemstone Upgrade failure trophies will no longer be available to obtain after the update, and will be removed from your trophy list unless you earned them before Progression Improvement Update on April 25th. Meanwhile, the Gemstone Upgrade Attempt and Success trophies will remain visible and attainable after the update.

Please note that B1/B4 related trophies also will become unavailable in same fashion as Gemstone failure trophy at the end of May when the entrance is closed.

---

Dear Maplers,

Today we will delve into the question that many of you have been asking about: Gemstone changes. We originally had this question divided into three topics under upgrades, resources and meso costs, due to their individual sizes. However, as it will be much easier to understand our intent when viewed as a whole, we are combining all the Gemstone-related changes into one topic today to discuss in full.

As a reminder, here’s a quick overview of what’s to come in the Progression Improvement Update:

Progression Improvement Update (tentative date April 25th):
We’ve been saying that this is a big change and we really mean it! These changes will simplify the Gemstone system to be easier to understand and more accessible. Let’s dive into this topic with an overview of how Gemstones will be changing.

Overview

To simplify Gemstones, we had to make some hard choices and remove parts you may have seen as critical.  Let’s start with what is likely the most controversial part of the changes: Removals.

Below is the list of systems and drops we will be removing:
  • Rusted Keys: With Rusted Keys removed, keys to Abandoned Mine B1/B4 will no longer drop.
    • We understand this will remove one potential source for the highly coveted Accessory Lock Scroll, and are working to determine what additional changes may be needed to compensate.
    • Additionally, we are aware that gathering and selling Rusted Keys is an activity some players depended on to make mesos. We believe that the changes we have made to progression and meso sinks should help counteract some of this loss.
  • Access to B1/B4 Dungeons: B1/B4 dungeons will be open to key holders for a month and the access to these dungeons will be closed at the end of May.
  • Gemstone related items from Treva Shop
  • Gemstone related drops from Chaos Raid Clears
  • Gemstone related drops from Fortress Rumble Clears
  • Gemstone related items from Daily Mission - Power Mission Box

I know this sounds like a lot of reduction, but here’s what we will be adding in their stead:
  • Gemstone Boxes will allow you to choose the Gemstone type of your choice
  • Dust Boxes will allow you to choose the Dust color of your choice
  • All future Gemstones obtained will be account-bound (character-bound Gemstones obtained before the update will remain character-bound)
  • All Gemstone upgrades will be guaranteed
  • Gemstone unequip cost will be massively reduced

We intend to make Gemstones and Dust Boxes readily available and let you reap the benefits for putting in your effort. To achieve this, we will entirely remove random elements from Gemstone progression, greatly shorten the grind time, and significantly reduce related meso sinks. As a result, we expect Gemstone upgrades will now take roughly 20% of the time and require 20% of the mesos compared to before, prior to taking into account B1/B4 dungeon related costs.

Let’s delve into the specifics of how this change will work.

Gemstone / Dust Gain

Here are the locations where you will be able to receive Gemstone-related resources after the Progression Improvement Update on April 25th:
  • Hard Adventure Dungeon Clear Rewards will include:
    • Gemstone / Dust Selection Box: Upon opening, you can choose the type of Gemstone or color of Dust you receive. Up to 30 Tier 1 Gemstones or 1,800 Dust a week.
  • Stellar Glass can be converted to
    • Gem Dust Selection Box: Upon opening, you can choose the color of Dust you receive. Up to 1,000 Dust a week, same as current.
  • Guild Gemstone Shop
    • Gem Dust Selection Box: Upon opening, you can choose the color of Dust you receive. Up to 300 Dust a week.

The amount of Dust available will be highest in Hard Adventure Dungeons, followed by Stellar Glass and the Guild Gemstone Shop. All Gemstones received from the above locations will now be account-bound, whereas Dust will remain character-bound.

Gemstone Upgrades

Upgrading Gemstones require 3 different colors of Dust, as well as a number of Crystal Fragments per attempt. The amount and success rate for each upgrade attempt, as well as the average number of materials, currently looks like the following.

DsK6KOv.png

We will keep the type of resources needed the same, but make each upgrade guaranteed after spending the following amounts:

lwIatQn.png

On average, this change will reduce the average resource costs per successful upgrade of all types to 20% of the previous cost. Combined with Gemstone / Dust gain changes, the expected time it will take to upgrade all 9 Gemstones to Tier 10 will also be roughly 20% of the previous time.

Gemstone Extract Cost

We are making Gemstone upgrades much easier to help you get your character stronger. But if the cost to unequip Gemstones from sockets remained as is, we would be essentially asking you to get brand new sets of Gemstones whenever you find better accessories. Our newly proposed design is to make Gemstones readily available and allow you to have room to experiment with various types to find what works best for you. To truly achieve this, we will be massively reducing the amount of Crystal Fragments needed to unequip Gemstones with this update as well.

82wtAGc.png

As you can see, the new required amounts will be insignificant compared to the amounts required in the current system, which allows you to freely equip/unequip Gemstones for experimentation.

Beyond

With Gemstones being one of the items that took tons of time and resources to upgrade, you may be curious what will be left to tackle after we make Gemstones more accessible with this update. It has been our general plan to review  in-game systems andremove the random elements from them. Pretty soon, some of you may feel like you’ve run out of things to do in MapleStory 2.
Fear not! The Summer Expansion update we are preparing is packed with vast and exciting new content. There will be tons of new challenges and activities filled with adventure! We’re also actively improving future content, based on the current changes we have been making with Project New Leaf. We will follow through with our promise of Project New Leaf, improving MapleStory 2 by listening to you, our players.

We kindly ask that the discussions in the threads above be focused on the information shared in today’s blog. Please do note that many things we discuss here can change by nature of opening up these topics early for discussion. We’ll always do our best to improve upon our ideas based on your feedback. As always, thank you for being patient with us and for being a part of Project New Leaf!

See you in game,
LAMBCOOK
shonriiDefraglifeIllIIlPeep

Comments

• CMKyriosCMKyrios
    Administrator
    This Project New Leaf thread is now live! Please leave your feedback below.
  • shonriishonrii
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,055
    Great changes overall! Couple of questions though:
    1. Will existing gem/gem dust boxes remain random?
    I assume they will, but want to double check.

2. Are there no plans to allow players to convert their existing gem dust to other colors?
    For instance, I have nearly 15k green dust but I play a Knight, so none of my gems use this color. Obviously I put a lot of time into acquiring gem dust and would like that time to be meaningful towards my character. I understand that the new system would eliminate the need for something like to be permanently in the game, but it's pretty disheartening if it's just going to go to waste. Maybe a temporary NPC to do conversion for the players that have stuck around?
  • ExorineExorine
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 840
    Looks like it's time to make an archer, guy.

Or you can make a heavy gunner for g u n ' s.
  • SouDesuKaSouDesuKa
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 250
    edited 6:41PM April 4, 2019
    ooof, im excited, i can understand why some people might be mad (the elites), but this is great for the casual players, and growing the player-base overall. I am a little concerned they might be making things too easy.. but we will have to wait and see..
    Defraglife
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    Administrator
    shonrii wrote: »
    Great changes overall! Couple of questions though:
    1. Will existing gem/gem dust boxes remain random?
    I assume they will, but want to double check.

2. Are there no plans to allow players to convert their existing gem dust to other colors?
    For instance, I have nearly 15k green dust but I play a Knight, so none of my gems use this color. Obviously I put a lot of time into acquiring gem dust and would like that time to be meaningful towards my character. I understand that the new system would eliminate the need for something like to be permanently in the game, but it's pretty disheartening if it's just going to go to waste. Maybe a temporary NPC to do conversion for the players that have stuck around?

1. Existing boxes that yield random dust will continue to. There is no need to save those specific ones.
    2. I'll have to double back on this at a later date. As of right now, this is not planned. Apologies!
  • SukafuSukafu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    Is anything going to be changed in regards to the trophies that we will no longer be able to earn? i.e. B1/B4 run count and Gemstone upgrade fails
  • ExorineExorine
    edited 7:13PM April 4, 2019
    SouDesuKa wrote: »
    ooof, im excited, i can understand why some people might be mad (the elites), but this is great for the casual players, and growing the player-base overall. I am a little concerned they might be making things too easy.. but we will have to wait and see..

The elites have been saving gems and dust for 2 months, LOL
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    Administrator
    Sukafu wrote: »
    Is anything going to be changed in regards to the trophies that we will no longer be able to earn? i.e. B1/B4 run count and Gemstone upgrade fails

Those who unlocked the trophies prior to this update will keep the trophies. In the case of B1/B4, you'll have a month to make progress on those trophies with leftover keys before the content is removed in May. After that, these trophies will be legacy and no longer obtainable.
  • ExorineExorine
    edited 7:23PM April 4, 2019
    V5SWkqa.png
    OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING
  • SukafuSukafu
    CMKyrios wrote: »
    Sukafu wrote: »

Those who unlocked the trophies prior to this update will keep the trophies. In the case of B1/B4, you'll have a month to make progress on those trophies with leftover keys before the content is removed in May. After that, these trophies will be legacy and no longer obtainable.

When they are changed to legacy will they still count toward the personal trophy leaderboard? I hope they are made to not count otherwise noone who joins in the future would ever be able to truly compete on the trophy leaderboard.
  • ExorineExorine
    What an optimistic claim...

Imagine joining the game now and trying to overcome a 2600 trophy deficit!
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,960
    This update is great! Now we just need striker after and that will get players to return.
    SouDesuKa
  • SukafuSukafu
    Exorine wrote: »
    What an optimistic claim...

Imagine joining the game now and trying to overcome a 2600 trophy deficit!

If they are changed so they do not count you would at least be able to compete, if they are not changed it is impossible to ever compete.
  • ExorineExorine
    So, what you're telling me is that the best course of action is to sit tight and pray that a decision out of my own control will resolve in my own favor? I'm thinking that's NOT BASED
  • cocogummiebearrcocogummiebearr
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 865
    Great changes !! although i was hoping our old boxes allow us to chose or some form of conversion. But overall I am still very happy. Saved 20 stella glass already and 15 more too till this hit. I am just really nervous about wp enchanting ! been struck here forever O.O while I watched friends moved on far far away ~
  • OrioneOrione
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 430
    I really like the changes. But I wish rusted key, b1/b4 and Treva farming can stay.
    They provide players that put more effort into the game with more sources and option to get gemstone / dust rather than just hard dungeon!
    Actually I wish that gemstone/gemdust from Treva farming can be improved (Can get gemdust / gemstone from chest) Lately I have nothing to do in the game after finishing all my chaos raid and hard dungeon on all my alts since there's not a lot of content yet. I wish Treva farming is more rewarding so that players can feel that it's worth grinding/farming it on their downtime.
    MaraxusGarlicBreadPeep
  • TizziTizzi
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 520
    Great news!
  • SiriondalSiriondal
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,025
    Not specific to this update but this is more a general opinion on the overall changes that are and will be implemented.
    You are making everything so easy but forgetting to add any recognition for the people who have worked hard to get where they currently are.
    It took people weeks, no months, to get their gems to T10 and now with the upcoming update all that will have meant nothing. Same for the other changes (+15 epic weapons, hard dungeon grinding, legendary armor and weapons tradeable, epic pets pretty much free now,..).
    Instead of only making the game easier for newer players you need to also think of ways to recognize your core players and to show some appreciation or any kind of re compensation for their time spend struggling.
    I feel, and I have heard the same from others, that no matter how much I play now it will all be meaningless in a few weeks or months due to the way the progression works. Getting a +15 legendary weapon now will probably mean nothing and only take a week of work in some time and there is literally no difference no feeling of achievement in working and spending time on progressing our current gear.
    Hopefully the new content update in the summer will give us new playable content but if it will be the same with that that content. Meaning that people play for months to get the gear and other things from the new content and then suddenly it will only require a week of work for new players to catch up and have the exact same gear it is all meaningless and loses every sense of an accomplishment (can't find the right word).
    Sorry for the wall at least I hope I made my point clear enough?
  • ÄrtÄrt
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,310
    edited 8:05AM April 5, 2019
    All my gems are 7-10, after this update tier 10 are basically free compared to what it used to be. Couple weeks in everyone will have t10 set, many during first week, including me. I kinda have bad taste in my mouth when i think about all the effort it took to get where im at right now.
  • DueroDuero
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 915
    Honestly I find this completly overkill. It's not a matter if wanting casual players to catch up.

Something was needed to be done. But not like this.

Without new content the only thing that make people stay, is progression.

Ribbons made easy to get good leg weapon and armors and upgrade faster. Even double line accessories are easy to get now.

Only thing left to work on was gemstone and now t10 will be handed on a silver plate.

I personnaly think the rng part should have been toned done and allow for non time gated and easier source of dust.
    Maybe something else.

But with this everyone will be maxed very fast with nothing to do...

Summer patch is comming, cool, but it is june earliest and could also be september...
    Maraxus