Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Introducing MSCA

MaygiMaygi
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,335
edited 11:53PM February 16, 2019 in General Chat
Hi everyone! I've been working on a little side project recently and it's finally ready for release. It's called MSCA, short for MapleStory2 Combat Analyzer. This is an overlay that parses useful combat information using the Sikuli API. It collects data by essentially taking screenshots and looking for text or images - no intrusive memory reading or packet sniffing included!

eEpsxFN.png

I've always wanted to just how effective skills such as Smiting Aura are, so this overlay started as just that - something that tracks Smite uptime! However, I eventually added more features to it to make it an all-round application that should be helpful to anybody looking to improve their play!

Features
- Parses total party DPS
- Parser only starts when entering combat with a boss
- User can reset / pause the parse
- Calculates uptime
- Personal buffs (Celestial Guardian, Iron Defense, etc)
- Personal debuffs (Celestial Light, Shadow Chaser, etc)
- Party buffs (Celestial Blessings, Focus Seal, etc)
- Party debuffs (Smiting Aura, Shield Toss, etc)
- Estimates damage contribution
- Smiting Aura
- Shield Toss
- Mark of Death
- Static Flash
- Holy Symbol
- Has sound triggers that play when certain buffs/debuffs appear
- Varrekant's wings
- Blue bomb debuff in Wrath of Infernog

Notes
- All calculations are estimates! They may not be 100% accurate.
- Current debuff contribution calculations calculate contribution as if all debuffs stack multiplicatively
- with each other, when Smite/MOD and Static Flash/Shield Toss do not
- Holy Symbol contribution calculation is a work in progress and may be even more inaccurate. As such, I've provided a metric for the total damage dealt under Holy Symbol as well
- If you cast Holy Symbol within the first minute or so, the Holy Symbol damage contribution won't appear for another minute. This is intended; the program needs to see around one minute of combat without Holy Symbol to estimate how much damage the party is doing normally
- Pausing when in combat with a boss won't do anything, because it'll automatically start up instantly. Pause is only useful for when the encounter is finished, or you leave early.

Upcoming Features
- Add an option for toggling sound triggers
- Add an option to change the UI color (I'm sure not everyone likes pink as much as I do...)
- Save the UI's position in the screen so it launches in the same place when reloading
- Improve calculations
- Add a feature for estimating the clear time
- other stuffs... we'll see :3

Source Code & Downloads
Until I get official word from Nexon, I cannot link the source from here. Message me on Discord at Maygi#4987 if you have any inquiries!

Is This Legal?
Nexon has not given their OFFICIAL stance on this yet. I have run the program by them and the best reply I've gotten so far was:
We truly appreciate your efforts toward the game. We would like to inform you that as long as you didn't violate any of the TOS, you will not receive any sanctions. I assure you that the game team are reviewing your inquiry.

I have gone over the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement many times and concluded that this overlay should be compliant. However, because Nexon hasn't given official word on it yet, use of this program is at your own risk.

If you have any questions regarding how things work, or are interested in contributing ideas or code to the project, please message me on Discord at Maygi#4987 <3

Liliacfendrien

Comments

• OlujiwanOlujiwan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Forum Moderator
    I have forwarded this to the team at Nexon so I can try to get you a more conclusive answer to whether or not this is 'okay'. Once I have an answer I will update my response or post a new reply.

For now; I suggest not making use of programs or tools that are not validated or created by Nexon. You may be putting your account at risk.
    Maloy
  • AyumíAyumí
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 855
    As I said on the Reddit (or maybe thought it and not said it), I'm going to try and follow this and hope it gets the "OK".
    The DPS counter in the game is atrocious and not helpful.
    Do think MS2 needs it's own version of an arcdps.
  • NimeiNimei
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,360
    Administrator
    Hi all,

Nexon America Inc. does not approve, condone or support the use of third-party software with its games. If a player chooses to use such software, it is at that player’s own risk. Nexon cannot provide support for the third party modifications.
    Ultralan
  • CryotronCryotron
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,935
    edited 6:33PM February 19, 2019
    Nimei wrote: »
    Hi all,

Nexon America Inc. does not approve, condone or support the use of third-party software with its games. If a player chooses to use such software, it is at that player’s own risk. Nexon cannot provide support for the third party modifications.

May I respectfully ask, why not?

I mean surely the players themselves such as Maygi are capable to support and update this kind of modification.

It's useful for gameplay. :(
  • AyumíAyumí
    Hi all,

I can understand the "support" part as that's obvious for any kind of program like this.
    I'm more wondering on the reason behind why no approval or condoning?
    Cryotron
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,100
    Ayumí wrote: »
    Hi all,

I can understand the "support" part as that's obvious for any kind of program like this.

Seeing how its been a day with no reply i guess ill input.

At any time, any particular 3rd party software creator could technically patch something malicious into the software. If nexon were to support this, they'd have to devote resources to verify that its clean every single time the 3rd party creator makes changes to it. They'd also carry an ethical obligation to help those negatively affected should something happen that slips past them. (Keyloggers anyone?)

Its just a quicker and safer solution to just not support it.. Also avoids a lot of hassle in the event the creator turns out to be trouble. (FYI i don't think this person is malicious at all, im only explaining the thought process)

Corporations don't want to deal with the risk of data privacy threats so they'd rather not risk even entertaining "allowing" 3rd party tools for their games that could possibly do it without their knowledge. Any sort of statement that approves it could possibly leave them liable should it happen. Granted the ToS tries to cover those bases, that doesn't ALWAYS mean they'll hold up in court under the right circumstances, so further precautions are made.
  • AyumíAyumí
    LuminaEdge wrote: »
    Ayumí wrote: »
    Hi all,

At any time, any particular 3rd party software creator could technically patch something malicious into the software. If nexon were to support this, they'd have to devote resources to verify that its clean every single time the 3rd party creator makes changes to it. They'd also carry an ethical obligation to help those negatively affected should something happen that slips past them. (Keyloggers anyone?)

Its just a quicker and safer solution to just not support it.. Also avoids a lot of hassle in the event the creator turns out to be trouble. (FYI i don't think this person is malicious at all, im only explaining the thought process)

Corporations don't want to deal with the risk of data privacy threats so they'd rather not risk even entertaining "allowing" 3rd party tools for their games that could possibly do it without their knowledge. Any sort of statement that approves it could possibly leave them liable should it happen. Granted the ToS tries to cover those bases, that doesn't ALWAYS mean they'll hold up in court under the right circumstances, so further precautions are made.

That's why I said I understood the support. My question wasn't the support part which is why I negate that part out of it.

I'm looking at this as how arcdps is for Guild Wars 2 which Arenanet say they don't support it and the usual "use at your own risk", but they don't condone and not approve it.
    Cryotron
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Forum Moderator
    My educated guess is that they have simply no control over its development. Which is why they won't support it. However, condoning its use means that if anything ever happens to Maplers and/or their accounts, Nexon is not at fault nor has to help resolve the issue. It's legal issues that make it this strict.
    Aruraune
  • ÄrtÄrt
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,290
    They cover their ass like any other game company does in case like this.

Translation of what was said here: You can use it without getting banned when we find out you used it.
    Anura_
  • MaygiMaygi
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,335
    edited 7:01AM February 20, 2019
    LuminaEdge wrote: »

This is a good explanation~ reasons like this is probably why similar plugins for other games (ACT for FFXIV for example) received a similar verdict. In the end, they're in a grey area - while not "official supported by the company", it's unlikely that people will end up getting banned for using it (as long as it continues to adhere to the Terms of Use).
    We would like to inform you that as long as you didn't violate any of the TOS, you will not receive any sanctions.
    ArurauneMaloy