Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Fairfight and Trader’s Ribbons

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 68,850
Administrator
edited 3:41PM March 20, 2019 in Project New Leaf
Dear Maplers,

Before jumping into our first Project New Leaf changes, let’s quickly recap the schedule. With today’s blog we are revealing part of the changes that we will bring to the game in the March update. We’ll review the feedback received and discuss internally to identify if there’s any additional tweaks we need to make, and we’ll announce them here on the Project New Leaf site once finalized. We currently expect to publish blogs with full changes and details every month and update that blog weekly based on feedback we receive, but this will depend on the topics under discussion. Once all details are finalized, we will move ahead with implementing them in the upcoming update.

fairfight-and-trader-ribbon-forum.png

Below are the parts of the game we intend to change in the March update (tentative date: February 28), based on the feedback we have received so far. At this point we’d like to ask that any feedback you provide takes into account these changes.

Today’s blog will cover:
  • Fairfight
  • Trader’s Ribbon

We understand that there are other parts of the game you’d like to discuss as well, and we intend to address them going forward. For reference, here’s our current list of topics that we will address with Project New Leaf at a later time.

Economy Improvements: Tentatively March 28th Update
  • Meso Sink Reduction
  • Meso Market
  • Gemstone Resource Gathering
  • Epic Pet

RNG and Progression Speed Improvements: April Update (Date TBD)
  • Enchanting
  • Gemstone Upgrades
  • Accessory Socket Opening
  • ...and more.

Let’s dive in to the first one: Fairfight.

Fairfight

MapleStory 2 has had a fairfight mechanic from the start and it always had some controversy attached. We believe that fairfight was originally a system to keep players together while engaging in end-game content like Hard Adventure Dungeons. That level of challenge allowed us to experiment with giving more rewards like the Dungeon Delight event, Dungeon Weekly Reset, and Toad’s Toolkit. In today’s game, however, it’s not our intention for Hard Adventure Dungeons to remain at the same difficulty level while relying on repetition to lengthen your playtime and make your progression tedious.

As such, after a long internal review and discussion, we’ve decided to remove the fairfight mechanic from Adventure Dungeons, both normal and hard, in the March update.

The Dungeon Delight event for Hard Adventure Dungeons will stay in-game as originally planned, until March 28th.

Another common request regarding fairfight was that it be removed from World Bosses. While we see the frustration with World Bosses taking a long time to defeat, completely removing fairfight from World Bosses could lead to exceptionally geared players defeating the bosses nearly instantly. This would rob lower-level players of the chance to participate in hunting World Bosses. To address this, we will be significantly reducing the HP of World Bosses (by 60%) to reduce clear time with smaller groups while keeping the fairfight mechanic to encourage groups to form up to fight them together.

One last concern of fairfight is Fortress Rumbles. Fortress Rumbles are solo dungeons with a 1-time weekly clear requirement that we believe are appropriately balanced to challenge you without becoming a chore. We will keep fairfight applied to Fortress Rumbles as is.

To summarize:
  • Fairfight for Hard and Normal Adventure Dungeons will be completely removed
  • Fairfight for World Bosses will remain, but we are going to lower the HP of World Bosses by 60%
  • Fairfight for Fortress Rumbles will remain as is

Trader’s Ribbons

We are introducing Trader’s Ribbons as in-game rewards to address meso earnings and a little bit of the RNG problem. Trader’s Ribbons are items that you can use to enable your hard-earned gear to be sold once on the Black Market, or directly traded with another player. Originally designed as a premium shop item for other regions, we’d like to instead introduce this item as an in-game reward to allow players to trade gear that has great stats but doesn’t fit your class, and that might be more desirable to other players at a different stage of progression.

Currently, the locations where you can earn the Trader’s Ribbon will be as follows:
  • Chaos Raids:
    • Weekly Rank Rewards for the following Chaos Raids:
      • Hard Shadow Altar
      • Hard Moonlight Fortress
      • Ludibrium Clock Tower
      • Wrath of Infernog
    • We will add the following amount of Trader’s Ribbons for each Weekly Rank Reward for the above Chaos Raids:
      • Rank A: 14 Lv. 50 Trader’s Ribbons
  • Fortress Rumbles
    • Weekly Rank Rewards for all Fortress Rumbles:
    • We will add the following amount of Trader’s Ribbons for each Weekly Rank Reward for all Fortress Rumbles:
      • Rank A: 8 Lv. 50 Trader’s Ribbons

The amount of Trader’s Ribbons you will need to enable trading for Lv. 50 Epic or Legendary gears differs per grade and per gear type. Below is a chart that lists how many Trader’s Ribbons you’d need per grade / gear type.
  • Lv. 50 Epic
    • Weapons
      • Two-Handed: 48 Trader’s Ribbons
      • One-Handed: 24 Trader’s Ribbons
    • Top/Bottom/Headgear/Gloves/Shoes: 24 Trader’s Ribbons
    • Accessories: 15 Trader’s Ribbons
  • Lv. 50 Legendary
    • Weapons
      • Two-Handed: 96 Trader’s Ribbons
      • One-Handed: 48 Trader’s Ribbons
    • Top/Bottom/Headgear/Gloves/Shoes: 48 Trader’s Ribbons
    • Accessories: 30 Trader’s Ribbons

The Trader’s Ribbon can be applied to regular dungeon rewards that are not tradable once upon looting. For example, you will not be able to apply Trader’s Ribbons to boss-specific rewards, such as Nutaman’s Earring either before or after being traded. When you look at the tooltip of a gear item, it will mention at the bottom if you can apply a Trader’s Ribbon to the item. Please note that equipping the gear on your character will bind it to that character and make it impossible to apply Trader’s Ribbons to the gear anymore.

Players who are able to achieve all A Ranks from all Chaos Raids and Fortress Rumbles can get up to 96 Lv. 50 Trader’s Ribbons each week. As a result, these players will be able to trade up to 2 Lv. 50 Epic weapons or 1 Legendary weapon per week.

We expect that with Trader’s Ribbons making it possible to trade gear, gear with great stats (including the desired purple bonus stats) that wasn’t for your class can now be sold for mesos instead of being dismantled. This in turn helps mitigate random elements for players who have not been able to obtain gear with desired bonus stats through natural progression. The meso prices of these gears will be market driven and may require players to save up large amount of mesos to take advantage of this system. We’ll closely monitor the market price of items after the update to address this concern through meso sink adjustments and the addition of a meso market system by the end of March.

Please note that this change will be applied to newly acquired weekly rank chests after the update occurs, and will not change the previously received weekly rank chests acquired from Chaos Raid / Fortress Rumbles.

In Closing

As some of you may have noticed, we’ve changed the order of what we will tackle first from our list in the previous Producer Blog. This is based on the community’s feedback, including the results from a recent player survey. We are still going through the survey results but as you can see from the word-map below, fairfight was one of the most important topics we didn’t discuss previously, and with these survey results we were able to come to a decision with the development studio.

image1.png

We plan to take action on the RNG and Progression parts of the equation throughout Project New Leaf. But seeing that concerns of Fairfight and Dungeon Experience are as high as they are now, we wanted to address these sooner, before other changes. While some changes had to be delayed, we believe that this is the right move for MapleStory 2 at this time.

Thank you for listening, and thank you for being part of Project New Leaf! We'll have more to share in the weeks to come, so don't forget to check back in!

Sincerely,
LAMBCOOK
supermikyMarksmanBryanPredestinationThijminecraft02

Comments

• NXACuddlesNXACuddles
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 68,850
    Administrator
    edited 4:15PM February 13, 2019
    After reviewing this blog, please provide your feedback and suggestions below.
  • wynntasticwynntastic
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 610
    Will we be getting Legendary Weapon rerollers or something of the sort? Finding out that you can buy a good rolled Legendary Weapon right after committing to a double blue stat Legendary is kind of saddening.
    G4Titan
  • facefacefaceface
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,590
    edited 4:36PM February 13, 2019
    Tradable legendary? like why? Isn't by passing cpap raid easy enough with rumble already? Do we really need to give meso buyer straight direct access to endgame? Honestly think tradable ribbon should only be able to use on epic grade armor, this gives them easier access to endgame raid if they have the meso but bad luck, but skipping end game content? idk seems stupid to me. I just hope this game doesn't turn into dumb p2w ms1. Legendary ribbon should remain account bound trading, but selling seems too far.
    G4TitanHeraisDeernissWliaFantasykittenNibbletAmatsubaneMiehReorinn
  • G4TitanG4Titan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 480
    who else think they got the legendary ribbon distrubtion wrong? should be Most>least, Accesories>weapon>armor
    rather than Weapon>Armor>Accesories, considering the progression path
    xMrNoHelpx
  • HeraisHerais
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 100
    thank you for listening to the players. i think this is going to give a good lift in the game!
  • Gemster312Gemster312
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 580
    These changes look wonderful and I am very delighted to hear about them!
    Honestly makes me excited for the update and can't wait for it.

Just curious why world boss fairfight instead isnt just downscaled, rather than reducing health?

Keep up the fantastic work all!
    This game has such potential and I hope it begins to grow again!

Thanks!
    Farli
  • XtonyXtony
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,890
    I'd rather see reroll scrolls (value or attributes) for legendary weapon/accessories rather than having the possibility to trade the good rolls. As stated before, end-game gear should belong to those who put dedication and efforts into raids instead of people that stacked loads of mesos and those who got somewhat lucky.
    G4TitanfacefaceWliaFantasykittenAmatsubaneMiehboladedragonXhilyn
  • G4TitanG4Titan
    Xtony wrote: »
    I'd rather see reroll scrolls (value or attributes) for legendary weapon/accessories rather than having the possibility to trade the good rolls. As stated before, end-game gear should belong to those who put dedication and efforts into raids instead of people that stacked loads of mesos and those who got somewhat lucky.

I agree, part of why the game is failing is becuz the time investment to reward ratio is offer the chart, in the worse way possible, the differentiation of strong and weak players are brought by LUCK, instead of time investment. Worse than a lottery in my experience.
    kitcalieWliaFantasykittenMieh
  • G4TitanG4Titan
    On second though, requirement should be placed on legendary equipment, so only people who have the gear score should be able to buy them? so that meso buyer would not be able jump from 200 gear score to 9000 gear score becuz they spent a few thousand USD. imagine that... 9000 gear score on someone with prestige levels below 20.
    kitcalieWlia
  • facefacefaceface
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,590
    G4Titan wrote: »
    On second though, requirement should be placed on legendary equipment, so only people who have the gear score should be able to buy them? so that meso buyer would not be able jump from 200 gear score to 9000 gear score becuz they spent a few thousand USD. imagine that... 9000 gear score on someone with prestige levels below 20.

tradable legendary shouldn't be a thing, we don't need more bypass of endgame raids, ur suppose to clear it, not buy to clear lol. Idm changes, but when ur taking away unique aspect of ms2 reverting to ms1 like its stupid
    Wlia
  • G4TitanG4Titan
    faceface wrote: »
    G4Titan wrote: »

tradable legendary shouldn't be a thing, we don't need more bypass of endgame raids, ur suppose to clear it, not buy to clear lol. Idm changes, but when ur taking away unique aspect of ms2 reverting to ms1 like its stupid

i mean, i understand where you're coming from, but there are already voices of no towards this change, i thought a solution may prove to be useful instead of criticism? but i still cannot agree more, i would hate to see ppl buying legendary gear (perfect or not)either by meso buying or other means, and then unable to clear the corresponding dungeons. there are quite a few still lurking around ms2, ;)
    Wlia
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,450
    edited 5:09PM February 13, 2019
    faceface wrote: »
    Pretty much agreed, yeah. I'll point out, though, that this was already happening via buying run carries and the introduction of Trader's Ribbon really only served to legitimize what was already happening in the game. Let's not naively think that most of the people with Legendary weapons got them with a party of +15 Epics only.

Probably the biggest change that Trader's Ribbon introduces is the ability to sell well-rolled pieces of gear, though I have no doubt that there will be whales who buy every single weapon fodder up for meso regardless.

Also, RE fairfight removal. I'm only gonna say this: Who's ready for the new 3 sin 1 RB meta for fatalstrike burst 20 second dungeons? Cool change, guys. Definitely ain't gonna regret that one a few months down the line like we did for 60 dungeon cap, nope, not at all.
    G4TitanWlia
  • NovuhzNovuhz
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,050
    edited 5:21PM February 13, 2019
    Trader's Ribbon on Legendary Gear should be account bound only.

We shouldn't be able to buy/sell legendary gear, that's pretty much skipping the whole chaos raid progression content.

Should only work like if you get a legendary item that you can't use on your class but your alt can use it, so you use trader's ribbon to give the item to your alt. But no to selling, that pretty much makes gear progression in chaos raids irrelevant.

I'm ok with making epic gear sellable.

Really happy about Fairfight changes, it has no place in any MMORPG game.
    G4TitanWliaMiehRimmmm
  • EinoEino
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,655
    edited 7:08AM February 14, 2019
    Make sure when you add the 'legal meso buying' Meso Market stuff, there are daily limits or other stringent limitations.

pbeRjIl.jpg

So that a whale can't legally buy tons of mesos with NX, then immediately use the mesos to buy these now-tradeable well-rolled legendaries off the Black Market instantly.

That would be "legal" pay-to-win.
    Anura_Mieh
  • CalindelCalindel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,510
    edited 5:21PM February 13, 2019
    Just looks like full pay to win mode now to me, more vague supposed improvements to RNG like they have been saying for 4 months and you can now officially buy everything in the game, no need to do content.

I doubt this is going to have any actual impact on the player base retention.
    Wlia
  • PredestinationPredestination
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 460
    edited 5:50PM February 13, 2019
    I'm gona fight with the Monopolisers who are frustrated that their cruel reign is finally over with trader's ribbon.

Up to legendary this trader's ribbon MUST happen for a reset of the market.

And moving forward we need to think of better ways to manage it so that access to end-game content is not held captive by any particular group. It is a disgusting thing that many players are unable to raid to get their legendaries (+ upgrade them) because the top group simply wants to run their monopoly and refuse partying with anyone else unless they buy them.

When you have a content that must be cleared via party-ing up, and over-geared players have a strong desire to but cannot join a party to clear them due to lack of players in-game + toxic top groups, there is a problem. And the simple short-term fix is to make those items tradeable.

OCE has such low player-base that it is simply impossible to get into a CPAP party unless you are in a guild that already runs them or you have to buy them, no matter how high your gear-score is or skilled you are. It's either buy them or have 0 clears on CPAP for the week. Now the monopolisers will come and say "WELL YOU GOT RUMBLE !!!!" no, that doesn't help, we're losing out on 60% progression resources per week, which is insane, for absolutely no reason other than because the clear groups are monopolisers that does not care for community.

Trader's ribbon will be half a saving grace to this situation.

I agree with putting some kind of benchmark to reach before being able to buy / equip a legendary weapon but definitely DO NOT exclude legendary weapons from being tradeable. Those who are against this are likely those who have been enjoying the power over gating the access to these weapons and the upgrading of these weapons. They must be dreading this implementation and making a lot of noise right now. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!
    LigreatPexcellGarlicBreadWliaSibyllZatchKarma93
  • ggToasterggToaster
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,270
    Fair fight removal was a good approach but trader ribbon's being implemented isn't fixing the RNG problem, it introduces p2w 100%. Although it isn't the same extent to what cms2 and kms2 is, this introduction of trader ribbons allows people to bypass rng completely on accessories and have more catalyst on weapons. Game becomes more p2w rather then fixes meso problems. If this change is implemented, I'm going to stop rerolling all my sht and look for at least 1 max line (of my two desired lines) and then just work my way from there. Most likely, someone is just gonna buy all the weapons off the market to use as catalyst fodder. We don't need these trader ribbons. What we need is just more source of materials to fix this meso sink. Just lower the amount of chaos onyx it takes to enchant and decrease crystal frags to 100 each.
    Change also encourages more alts to run dungeons for higher chance of finding desired lines <<< not needed
    We don't need tradable legendaries, just work for it and deal with it. Need to fix enchanting rng? Give legendary toad's toolkits slowly, not like the epic toads.
  • TrypoTrypo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    Thank you ms2 team for putting the time into listening to the community. I think everything is good except one thing. With some Epic/Legendary weapons being tradable and sellable now. I think that is not a good idea because players can just buy their way to having the best weapons with the best stats instead of having to put the time and effort and satisfaction of getting a perfect stat weapon after trying so hard. I also think it will encourage players to want and buy mesos from the meso sellers so they can just buy the best gear. And that would be horrible. Thank you.
    Wlia
  • RogueBloodRogueBlood
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 520
    I don't know if Like 'Project: Newleaf'.

Can we have a different event, please? Something like 'Project: Let's get rid of all the bots'?

Thoughts?
    aylumosMieh
  • RedSprite000RedSprite000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 215
    RogueBlood wrote: »
    I don't know if Like 'Project: Newleaf'.

Can we have a different event, please? Something like 'Project: Let's get rid of all the bots'?

Thoughts?
    But bots are 90% of the playerbase lol