Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Being a new player sucks.

EsferEsfer
MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
Posts: 13
Member
in General Chat
I assume most people are founders because I rarely see new players.

Have any of you tried pretending to be a new player without a premium? It blows. It sucks turd. The other day I pretended, wanted to see if this game was going to grow.

If your new today you walk around lonely without copter and occasionally you meet bots. When you finally get your GS for FD you use party matchmaker cause party finder is +15 only. Party matchmaker has the longest queue and everyone's pretty weak. I started doing party matchmaker to help newbies. Also newbies aren't given any primer on the pointless bs that u need to do in this game to just stay on course. Like random garbage such as rolling what stars or buying stellar glass. Being a new player in this game is lonely and it feels like the bottom that no one cares about.

Not only are the initial population leaving but the ability to gain new players is abysmal. Talk to any low prestige +10. I did. Was really curious. They find it boring and lonely.
DanDKmirta000BacoDanteYodaKarma93FrostZzWallSeriesPizzaBearDraigelSpecksand 3 others.

Comments

  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    edited 7:29AM January 2, 2019
    That's what happens when Nexon designs a game with no decent content and focuses all their effort on mediocre "dungeon" "progression" and ignore all feedback since the CBT. They reap what they sow, which is a bunch of money from white knights before the game reaches the end of the road unless serious remakes are made.

    Social activities? Too bad only progression comes from spamming dungeons. Exploring? No need to meet people when you can portal anywhere, or taxi, or copter, or queue up without ever moving at all. You don't even need to move to NPCs to enchant, or dismantle, or even use the bank. There are shortcuts for everything.
    DraigelSimonaXtonyKarma93TheCurrySauseBanditGreta
  • SimonaSimona
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,080
    Posts: 50
    Member
    I tried +15 alts without funding them from main since toads toolkit patch: best enchant I reached was +11, didn't even manage to use toads as I chronically lacked onyx and eventually gave up.
    This game's progression is all about luck, if you're unlucky you'll get stuck for weeks with little to no progression, no matter how many toads you have.

    New players have an horrible experience playing the game in it's current state.
  • FeifeiDuFeifeiDu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,060
    Posts: 75
    Member
    DanDK wrote: »
    That's what happens when Nexon designs a game with no decent content and focuses all their effort on mediocre "dungeon" "progression" and ignore all feedback since the CBT. They reap what they sow, which is a bunch of money from white knights before the game reaches the end of the road unless serious remakes are made.

    Social activities? Too bad only progression comes from spamming dungeons. Exploring? No need to meet people when you can portal anywhere, or taxi, or copter, or queue up without ever moving at all. You don't even need to move to NPCs to enchant, or dismantle, or even use the bank. There are shortcuts for everything.

    what do you mean ignore feedback??? You want more dungeons there you go 60 per week instead of 30. You want cheaper style crate there you go price adjustment you want less grinding on weapon there you go a weapon token that works on every weapon enchant. I can go on and on. I don’t know what you are talking about
  • CabreraCabrera
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 790
    Posts: 23
    Member
    Honestly, its about getting to know how to progress, I agree that dungeon party finding is a nightmare due to the high GS/damage requirement but,
    when you look at the improvements provided in terms of upgrade, its a hell of a lot easier to progress in this game now than ever before. Toad tool kits are a life saver for newbies, I didnt have those when I was making my +15.

    The "Quality of life" aspect as been greatly improved BUUUUUUUUUTTTTT then comes the hiccup, Nexon gave toad toolkits, ez crates to chose which type of weapon u want (MSL or Murgap or Ancient) and even reduced HP/Damage received from FD/Labrynth, YET, newbies cant even enter those hard dungeons due to the insane requirements asked for by the advanced players. I used to see "FD/ROG/etc any parties" before but even that has died out as the player base declines. Its only +15, 5k+ damage ONLY type of parties I see these days. This needs to be fixed but I really cant see a solution to that and it sucks.
  • NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    Posts: 182
    Member
    edited 11:54AM January 2, 2019
    Cabrera wrote: »
    Honestly, its about getting to know how to progress, I agree that dungeon party finding is a nightmare due to the high GS/damage requirement but,
    when you look at the improvements provided in terms of upgrade, its a hell of a lot easier to progress in this game now than ever before. Toad tool kits are a life saver for newbies, I didnt have those when I was making my +15.

    The "Quality of life" aspect as been greatly improved BUUUUUUUUUTTTTT then comes the hiccup, Nexon gave toad toolkits, ez crates to chose which type of weapon u want (MSL or Murgap or Ancient) and even reduced HP/Damage received from FD/Labrynth, YET, newbies cant even enter those hard dungeons due to the insane requirements asked for by the advanced players. I used to see "FD/ROG/etc any parties" before but even that has died out as the player base declines. Its only +15, 5k+ damage ONLY type of parties I see these days. This needs to be fixed but I really cant see a solution to that and it sucks.

    And whose fault if ppl don't want to carry new player in dungeons? Nexon? Or this stupid Community?

    Something like a mentoring system , where you get points when carrying new players which you can exchange for mats or other stuff , points capped weekly.
    That would work.
  • EsferEsfer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
    Posts: 13
    Member
    It's not just the dungeons. Look around. The community for new players is a struggle because theres so few that stick around. If I just joined today I'd probably quit cause lack of friends
  • MahouOppaMahouOppa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    Posts: 5
    Member
    Esfer wrote: »
    It's not just the dungeons. Look around. The community for new players is a struggle because theres so few that stick around. If I just joined today I'd probably quit cause lack of friends

    There you go, found your problem. lack of friends. It's all fun and games if you have friends to play an MMO with. New player? Find a guild. Honestly, it's not that hard. The game sucks but I honestly don't care as long as my friends play it still.
    Naho
  • KiymoriKiymori
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,250
    Posts: 335
    Member
    Made an alt and it outgears my main, now, I don't know these feels.
  • DishonesteaDishonestea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited 3:11PM January 2, 2019
    It actually got so boring waiting for parties on my new alt that I gave in and bought an acreon to enchant on my main.

    sux for new players who cant do that
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    Posts: 373
    Member
    Here we go again. Blaming nexon because of your inability to make friends
    Ultralan
  • CabreraCabrera
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 790
    Posts: 23
    Member
    edited 7:59PM January 2, 2019
    Naho wrote: »
    Cabrera wrote: »
    Honestly, its about getting to know how to progress, I agree that dungeon party finding is a nightmare due to the high GS/damage requirement but,
    when you look at the improvements provided in terms of upgrade, its a hell of a lot easier to progress in this game now than ever before. Toad tool kits are a life saver for newbies, I didnt have those when I was making my +15.

    The "Quality of life" aspect as been greatly improved BUUUUUUUUUTTTTT then comes the hiccup, Nexon gave toad toolkits, ez crates to chose which type of weapon u want (MSL or Murgap or Ancient) and even reduced HP/Damage received from FD/Labrynth, YET, newbies cant even enter those hard dungeons due to the insane requirements asked for by the advanced players. I used to see "FD/ROG/etc any parties" before but even that has died out as the player base declines. Its only +15, 5k+ damage ONLY type of parties I see these days. This needs to be fixed but I really cant see a solution to that and it sucks.

    And whose fault if ppl don't want to carry new player in dungeons? Nexon? Or this stupid Community?

    Something like a mentoring system , where you get points when carrying new players which you can exchange for mats or other stuff , points capped weekly.
    That would work.

    Yeap, you are not wrong with the mentoring system BUT, I really doubt so much effort will be put into making said system.

    In terms of Esfer mentioning lack of friends, there are lots of social guilds (in OCE for example and this is a server with 1/4th the population of other servers), giving that as an excuse is just unacceptable. Even with the low population these days, there are still alot of guilds around that are willing to help newbies out WITH NO GS REQUIREMENTS just being active and friendly is all u need to do and being in a guild has its perks (free raid runs(you dont pay advanced players who sell them?) for example).

    The issues I was talking about was in terms of a casual player that does not play in normal peak hours of playtime in a server, I used to be that way where any guild i'd join would have a time difference(in terms of when they play not location) though I would just simply leave and moved on to another guild that plays at the same time as I do.
    It actually got so boring waiting for parties on my new alt that I gave in and bought an acreon to enchant on my main.

    sux for new players who cant do that

    I dont see why you should not create a party though, as people mentioned, requirements to enter a party are usually high due to advanced players playing for fragments rather than the equipment themselves now that legendary gear except weapon is so easy to get ( and weapons will be too as soon as the player base generally improves) , hard dungeons will be even more irrelevant as time goes by, it would become just like the free tronix runs that people do to get savagery accessories with hopes of good rolls so they can sell them in the market.

    I had an alt with decent (varre wings, rog earrings, epic set+weap) equipment and 3.5k damage, i did 14 mill damage as a +10 heavy gunner in FD but the dungeon took 6-7 minutes to complete which was a drag. This caused few other players from the pug party to just leave due to the duration alone. If you are in a guild, you wont have that said situation, theres always gonna be a few big bois(geared) who wanna help out with the runs as they have to complete them as well.
  • CabreraCabrera
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 790
    Posts: 23
    Member
    edited 7:59PM January 2, 2019
    Double post WOOOPS
  • ItsMyStoryItsMyStory
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,430
    Posts: 99
    Member


    DanDK wrote: »
    That's what happens when Nexon designs a game with no decent content and focuses all their effort on mediocre "dungeon" "progression" and ignore all feedback since the CBT. They reap what they sow, which is a bunch of money from white knights before the game reaches the end of the road unless serious remakes are made.

    Social activities? Too bad only progression comes from spamming dungeons. Exploring? No need to meet people when you can portal anywhere, or taxi, or copter, or queue up without ever moving at all. You don't even need to move to NPCs to enchant, or dismantle, or even use the bank. There are shortcuts for everything.

    they did listen but only to the whiners
  • DishonesteaDishonestea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited 6:54AM January 3, 2019
    Cabrera wrote: »
    It actually got so boring waiting for parties on my new alt that I gave in and bought an acreon to enchant on my main.

    sux for new players who cant do that

    I dont see why you should not create a party though, as people mentioned, requirements to enter a party are usually high due to advanced players playing for fragments rather than the equipment themselves now that legendary gear except weapon is so easy to get ( and weapons will be too as soon as the player base generally improves) , hard dungeons will be even more irrelevant as time goes by, it would become just like the free tronix runs that people do to get savagery accessories with hopes of good rolls so they can sell them in the market.

    I had an alt with decent (varre wings, rog earrings, epic set+weap) equipment and 3.5k damage, i did 14 mill damage as a +10 heavy gunner in FD but the dungeon took 6-7 minutes to complete which was a drag. This caused few other players from the pug party to just leave due to the duration alone. If you are in a guild, you wont have that said situation, theres always gonna be a few big bois(geared) who wanna help out with the runs as they have to complete them as well.

    I did make a party/have option to wait for a couple people to run with later (maybe it was just slow because reset is close). There's just no incentive to run dungeons on an alt before it has a decent weapon when your other option is doing <4 min tris runs on your main/another geared alt even if you do have people to carry you.
  • LiliacLiliac
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,020
    Posts: 52
    Member
    Have you tried doing FD +10 blues? Absolutely abyssmal. I did do a few dungeons with my SB+13 epic but hell, that took ages and I did not want to suffer through carrying newbies again. None of them enjoyed fighting FD too since he's nothing more than a damage sponge as with 90% of the bosses in this game.

    I agree we need more socialable activities and a congregating area OTHER THAN TRIA due to poor optimization of the game dipping your FPS to almost single digits of with just 20people in same area. Party quests, mini-games, sports hell even re-enable Mushking. We need enjoyable things to do and not more hecking dailies. Those aren't enjoyable at all. I ditched Lifeskills all together due to how long it takes for me to finish what I need to craft important buffs and potions BEFORE I CAN PLAY THE ACTUAL GAME. So many things need change and quick.
    MaydyeMieh
  • DishonesteaDishonestea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited 12:12PM January 3, 2019
    I forgot to mention you guys act as if pugging isn't a good way to meet ppl in the first place.

    My first post was an exaggeration but it really is harder to find low gs parties now (I'm excluding the boost from free event stuff)

    And tbh I really don't like the "just join a guild" response compared to just telling someone to just suck up as many slow dungeon runs as they can for a little while since ms2 is really only hard until you get a weapon you'd want to enchant. Maybe it's just my server but a lot of guilds I know won't instantly carry ppl in dungeons right after they join unless they're that desperate for members.
  • DanteYodaDanteYoda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 970
    Posts: 51
    Member
    edited 3:44PM January 3, 2019
    Can't whisper, can't use the trade, can't ask questions in the world chat.. Yes no wonder so many left and new customers are few..

    How to make a social game unsociable, why anyone would want to play this now is beyond me, to rinse repeat dungeons forever fighting rng? Pay a fortune on making UGC gear, nope..

    No one wants low players in their guilds, try joining a few at low levels they do not add you...

    Good luck all.
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Posts: 461
    Member
    Chat and trade restrictions for low level characters are a big part of what's killing the game. It just isn't friendly to new players. Lift the restrictions and do some proper bot sweeps, Nexon.
  • NovuhzNovuhz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,430
    Posts: 107
    Member
    edited 7:08AM January 6, 2019
    MahouOppa wrote: »
    Esfer wrote: »
    It's not just the dungeons. Look around. The community for new players is a struggle because theres so few that stick around. If I just joined today I'd probably quit cause lack of friends

    There you go, found your problem. lack of friends. It's all fun and games if you have friends to play an MMO with. New player? Find a guild. Honestly, it's not that hard. The game sucks but I honestly don't care as long as my friends play it still.

    Isn't that how every MMORPG is about the friends? Except this one is failing compared to others. Why?


    Let's see:
    Massive RNG mechanics on progression (this alone is enough to turn people away from the game, not only RNG! look below)
    Time-gated progression (so you are saying with this much RNG It's also time-gated? I'd understand that Chaos Raids would be capped but hard dungeons? RNG+Time-Gated together is a huge turn off, there's also some other caps in place for other things)
    FairFight (where getting stronger means almost nothing. What's the fun in that? We like to get stronger to feel powerful. Without Fairfight hard runs would be faster meaning more +15 players wouldn't mind joining 'any' runs to help. Look at world boss's as well, too much time effort for the reward it gives so we have a lot of world boss's that don't get touched unless they are in weekly quest or daily quest.)

    The intention of time-gate is to make a game last longer but on this case for this one is doing exactly the opposite because of the huge RNG mechanics behind it. Absurd material prices to reroll as well.

    Also another example, the toxic community there is in this game compared to others. MS2 has to be the most toxic mmorpg I've ever played. Just the other day I got kicked from HCmoc because I didn't clear it before even tho my gear was far superior vs the leader of that party(yes I already knew all mechanics of boss and small tells to improve damage uptime on boss, this game is a joke in terms of difficulty compared to Monster Hunter: World Arch Tempered monsters). Another stupid thing is how people just leave right after 1 wipe even tho we were very very close to killing it and then there's the sell runs lol... that has to be most stupid thing I've ever seen in a MMORPG. But I guess it's because how painful it is to make mesos? All because of the bots/meso sellers.
  • DrakesBlueDrakesBlue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,330
    Posts: 88
    Member
    This game needs to have an incentive system to make players want to help lower GS characters clear content. As it is now, it's doing just the opposite. People want to get as their weekly/daily content done as fast as possible, which makes them decide to run with players with GS's so high it makes most dungeons trivial. Chaos Raids makes the problem worse by rewarding well equipped players for running with open party slot. What they need to do is reward these high GS players for taking people into these dungeons who have yet to make any progress on their dailly/weekly limits so more people have an in-game incentive to help people without charging them millions of mesos per run.