Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

What's up with the low population?

Comments

• DefraglifeDefraglife
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,695
    Iink wrote: »
    I'm scared to go on with only 1000 steam players. I'm scared to see a dead and empty game.

Most players wait until the next reset if capped to play.
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
    Defraglife wrote: »
    I'm scared to go on with only 1000 steam players. I'm scared to see a dead and empty game.

Max Steam player concurrent count barely hits over 1k at reset.
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    Bulbasaur wrote: »

Max Steam player concurrent count barely hits over 1k at reset.

Oh wow. I think maybe it has to do with the games repetitiveness. I get tired of running the same dungeons just farming enigma copies. That and I don't agree with the entrance requirements of emerald/Azure/ToT . It's a waste of mesos and catalyst to enchant stuff I don't want/need. I think we need job advancements instead of rank ups and mastery's. I think the games dungeon design could be better.
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    It's less than 1k, now less than 900 on reset. This game is so poorly designed that people are leaving in droves every week. One only needs to monitor the activity on this forum for the last 2 months to understand now poorly this game is functioning.
  • SparkleeSparklee
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,320
    Forum Moderator

Steam isn't an accurate count anyway. Many others log in using the Nexon Launcher... To which Steam won't obviously count!
    Iink
  • Anura_Anura_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,330
    This entire thread is just argumentum ad populum fallacy
  • RohuntRohunt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 810
    Sparklee wrote: »

Steam isn't an accurate count anyway. Many others log in using the Nexon Launcher... To which Steam won't obviously count!

These numbers on any platform/launcher is still a substantial loss in players regardless.. Ouch.
    a8398ef5f955299530bb29bf2ee60ee7.png
  • DinnerDinner
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,415
    edited 8:49PM September 9, 2019

I would say the number is close to accurate if you account for bots. Not to mention the servers being split up, so let's assume it is 5,000 players online. It may be 3,000 in NA East and the rest of the servers have a couple hundred.
  • DinnerDinner
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,415
    edited 8:48PM September 9, 2019
    Dinner wrote: »

I don't see why this game is being hosted. Best case for this game they get a centralized reboot server to attract new players with unlimited dungeon and raid plays to boost player numbers. If that doesnt happen just close this game.

• ZapplixZapplix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    Afaik, activity boiled down to weekends. The reason is the dungeon reset and the events that reduce enchant cost's. Beside dungeons there is barelly any other form of meaningfull grind other than worldbosses to get your t10 lapendshards. People made the math regarding Ascendant gear and it's basically a resource dump, which is hardly justifiable when you will need to regrind next expansions gear again.

As far as population, steam only could account for 40-60% of people depending on region. The recent Luceline’s Calamity GM event laged out the servers and was thus canceled. There are plenty of people starwing for content but don't play regularry otherwise. The avg activity is mostly by newbies and veterans farming helper coins via Skilled Ally due the lack of other forms of gear progression related "daylies" and #altstory.
    Defraglife
  • IinkIink
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    edited 1:28AM September 13, 2019
    Anura_ wrote: »
    This entire thread is just argumentum ad populum fallacy

That's true, I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, I'd love for the population of Maplestory 2 to increase as a lively world was part of the initial fun! I think the best thing for now would be to consolidate the players by reducing the number of channels. And if NA East and NA West could ever be merged.
    Defraglife
  • ZapplixZapplix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    edited 12:16AM September 14, 2019
    That's true, I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, I'd love for the population of Maplestory 2 to increase as a lively world was part of the initial fun! I think the best thing for now would be to consolidate the players by reducing the number of channels. And if NA East and NA West could ever be merged.

It's strange why you make it sound so serious. Summer holidays are over so kid's need to spend more time grinding books instead of gaming. People with jobs haw other responsibilities, so they play usually on evenings and it's to no ones surprise that weekends are the most bussy on servers. The elitism subsided due powercreep, so new people get carried even with no max lvl pet and gems. And ms2 has timegated dungeons.

Looking at the aniversary reward tables nexon announced on twich, October will be an ants nest of things to do. That's the current content drop, worth loging in each day atm. And i can assure you, that those cut channel's will haw an impact, becasue you won't like the competition regarding chests, elites and events. Sadly Luceline's Calamity GM Event flopped and we haw nothing for September atm.

Server mergers haw the issue of latency, and ms2 gameplay is really depaendant on ping at times. They cut of the channels most likely to free up server resources instead of the sake for player density. We do run multipe instances of dungeons simultaneously and thats the main content of ms2 atm.
  • IinkIink
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    edited 2:35AM September 15, 2019
    I mean, in the grand scheme of life, it's not as important as work or school. Sure, I agree. But in the scheme of Maplestory2, which is what these threads are centered around, population is pretty important in my opinion.

I logged on for the first time in months and Tria CH1 was really empty. I remember when it was a crowded city full of music and people chatting, that was a large part of the fun for me.
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    It's more populated on weekends. People just have to finish school and work. It's just life hits everyone eventually. So it will fluctuate a lot even with new content. Most aren't trying for ascended gear.
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    It's more populated on weekends.

No it isn't. There is no instance in time on the Steam chart that supports this statement. In fact, the trend shows that the concurrent player count usually starts dropping by the beginning of the weekend.
  • WhoAmIWhoAmI
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 330
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    It's more populated on weekends.

No it isn't. There is no instance in time on the Steam chart that supports this statement. In fact, the trend shows that the concurrent player count usually starts dropping by the beginning of the weekend.

Really depends on what we are talking about. At times on sundays I find myself with 49 other players on a channel fighting WBs. I can't always do each and every channel because more than 50 players have decided to fight the WBs and cuz of lag at times 50 of them get to the next channel before I can so I am stuck having to go to the next channel after that. Other than that each channel tends to have 20-30 players fighting WBs at certain times of some days.

Other contents of the game does make it feel like there are not many players so getting help with some of the game content can mean having to wait a while.
  • PoppyBrosJrPoppyBrosJr
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    edited 6:10AM October 21, 2019
    The game is really tedious to no avail.

Its not fun grinding endlessly for a +15 weapon just to enter the next content gate and do the same for the next +15 weapon. This is why the game died so hard in November, people got tired of running the bosses because they weren't interesting, even the Chaos raids are more of a Gear check than an actual fun thing to do. People realized this and this is a very tired and done trope in the MMO genre, so they left.

I have heard they've made improvements to this system since then, but it still doesn't sound fun or worth my time.
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    The game is really tedious to no avail.

Its not fun grinding endlessly for a +15 weapon just to enter the next content gate and do the same for the next +15 weapon. This is why the game died so hard in November, people got tired of running the bosses because they weren't interesting, even the Chaos raids are more of a Gear check than an actual fun thing to do. People realized this and this is a very tired and done trope in the MMO genre, so they left.

I have heard they've made improvements to this system since then, but it still doesn't sound fun or worth my time.

It's still the same stuff. This time we have throphy ascendant gear that isn't worth the hassle imo. Legendary is all I'm going up to. So then I can just skip doing bsn.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,190
    Its not fun grinding endlessly for a +15 weapon just to enter the next content gate and do the same for the next +15 weapon.

That's what you get if the game has the linear structure of a single player RPG while also incorporating some P2W design elements.

The only thing we can hope for in this regard is that the korean developers abandon the linear progression structure once the content reaches max level and focus more on a non linear approach to content progression while also implementing a mechanic to upscale the old content (e.g. the option to fight a level 99 Pink Bean in oder to get a level 99 version of its drops) but I doubt that this will ever happen for 2 reasons:

- the korean devs. most likely don't see this as a problem

- the linear progression structure turns everything into throwaway content which is essential for their P2W mechanics to work

I have to disagree about this game being grindy tho, you couldn't even grind if you wanted to thanks to the clear count restrictions which is also the reason why finding a party (especially for a raid group) is such a pain (well that and the fact that most hardcore players are already done with their "core progression" meaning that many of them stoped doing craids entirely).