Check out the v16 1st Anniversary Update patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45834

What's up with the low population?

Comments

• UngodlyUngodly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 590
    To summarize my opinion and experience: I have three main issues.
    1. Nexon doesn't listen and they don't care. It almost feels like they want the game to fail.
    2. The huge wedge between casual and hardcore players. It was fun, social and enjoyable in the beginning when leveling up, but after that, it's hard to progress if you don't have a solid guild or group of friends (something that seems to be hard to maintain because of the overall experience.) The natural way of progress isn't really there when entering hard dungeons. Now the hardcore players are pulling away, selling or buying help, buying mesos, using bots, etc, and the rest is left behind.
    3. A LOT of work for no to little progress. Terrible RNG and extremely time consuming repetitive tasks.
    Simonamirta000ArSkulderdielemonEinoBacoMarionetteKarma93Jaybok
  • PinkFoxxyPinkFoxxy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,090
    the mistake: SEPERATING NA EAST AND WEST
    Iink
  • SimonaSimona
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,080
    PinkFoxxy wrote: »
    the mistake: SEPERATING NA EAST AND WEST

Well, at least you have two servers they can eventually merge. Imagine being in EU knowing that no merge will ever happen...
    dielemonEinoMarionetteKarma93
  • VixroVixro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,380
    the game is boring.
    MiehKarma93
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,450
    edited 10:26AM December 29, 2018
    Ungodly wrote: »
    1. Nexon doesn't listen and they don't care. It almost feels like they want the game to fail.
    Come on, dude. Nexon's level of communication with the playerbase is unprecedented in any MMO. You can literally, right now, post a tweet to the goddamn General Manager of Nexon America and not only get it read but also have a decent chance of getting a personalized reply back.

Like, really? "Nexon doesn't listen" is a factually false statement that can be disproven in 30 seconds by looking at Jungsoo's Twitter.

It sounds like what you really want is for Nexon to make changes right away without considering the ramifications. Fact of the matter is, last time Nexon rushed decisions because "you need to do this because people are quitting nexon!!!" we got the dungeon cap raised like everyone was asking for. Now people complain that it's a chore, which is a roundabout way of them saying "we had no idea what we wanted and actually just wanted faster progression sry". I can link you to as many threads as you like that show people in this very forum demanding more dungeons every week so they could grind more.

People don't know what the hell they want. No doubt if Nexon removes Fair Fight (which seems to be a current hot topic) there'll be some regrets that surely nobody could have foreseen like an increased DPS gap in dungeons causing greater elitism and division of the community. But let's not bring that discussion here, it's unrelated.

Anyway OP, to address your original point. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. From my view, I 100% expected MapleStory 2 to be a total P2W crapfest where rerollers were sold for $2 of real money per roll and you could effectively buy your way to #1 DPS in a fashion that eclipsed F2P players by tenfold, but not without dropping several thousand dollars. That's how MapleStory 1 turned out, after all.

When MapleStory 2 came out and it turned out that they'd not only removed all the KMS2 P2W and also were actively listening and responding to the playerbase, it was basically a dream come true. From that perspective, I've already gotten my wishes granted and thus consider all the "major" issues that other people seem to have with the game as minor footnotes at best. Are there problems? Sure, it could be better. But the state of the game is already miles ahead of what I expected it to be and what many other MMOs currently reside at.

It also helps that I adopted the mindset of "there's no rush, I'll experience the content when I'm ready since it'll still be there when I get to it" and thus had no problems not getting my Moonlight Fortress and Clock Tower raid clears until the 3rd week after they were released. Whatever constraints people are feeling because of "falling behind the grind" exist only in their minds.

So I'm pretty good with the state of the game as it stands and am content to wait patiently to see what Nexon has in store for the future.

Just remember that what you read on the forums is only the people who felt vocal enough about it to make a post; selection bias at its finest. Most of your everyday players are reasonably fine with the way things are, or else they'd have quit by now.
    BacoGhoulless
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,015
    edited 11:01AM December 29, 2018
    Stellaeora wrote: »
    No doubt if Nexon removes Fair Fight (which seems to be a current hot topic) there'll be some regrets that surely nobody could have foreseen like an increased DPS gap in dungeons causing greater elitism and division of the community.

Except that's already the case, if you're not +15 then "the elitists" already don't want you in their party. Nexon stated that they want do diversify gear progression, among other things turning Peachy into a viable alternative to Ophelia would be a good place to start but saying that "people don't know what they want" is complete nonsense.

Most of your everyday players are reasonably fine with the way things are, or else they'd have quit by now.

Cause there's nothing in between, you either quit or you're fine with how things are am I right?
  • CaIypsoCaIypso
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 440
    edited 11:05AM December 29, 2018
    *800 bonus attack or l grade weapon parties

most of the smarter elitists do know that stacking crit is better for fairfight dungeons bc you do the same amount with an l grade and +15 epic, but most of them are just plebs who bought runs
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,295
    Ungodly wrote: »
    Come on, dude. Nexon's level of communication with the playerbase is unprecedented in any MMO. You can literally, right now, post a tweet to the goddamn General Manager of Nexon America and not only get it read but also have a decent chance of getting a personalized reply back.

Like, really? "Nexon doesn't listen" is a factually false statement that can be disproven in 30 seconds by looking at Jungsoo's Twitter.

It sounds like what you really want is for Nexon to make changes right away without considering the ramifications. Fact of the matter is, last time Nexon rushed decisions because "you need to do this because people are quitting nexon!!!" we got the dungeon cap raised like everyone was asking for. Now people complain that it's a chore, which is a roundabout way of them saying "we had no idea what we wanted and actually just wanted faster progression sry". I can link you to as many threads as you like that show people in this very forum demanding more dungeons every week so they could grind more.

People don't know what the hell they want. No doubt if Nexon removes Fair Fight (which seems to be a current hot topic) there'll be some regrets that surely nobody could have foreseen like an increased DPS gap in dungeons causing greater elitism and division of the community. But let's not bring that discussion here, it's unrelated.

Anyway OP, to address your original point. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. From my view, I 100% expected MapleStory 2 to be a total P2W crapfest where rerollers were sold for $2 of real money per roll and you could effectively buy your way to #1 DPS in a fashion that eclipsed F2P players by tenfold, but not without dropping several thousand dollars. That's how MapleStory 1 turned out, after all.

When MapleStory 2 came out and it turned out that they'd not only removed all the KMS2 P2W and also were actively listening and responding to the playerbase, it was basically a dream come true. From that perspective, I've already gotten my wishes granted and thus consider all the "major" issues that other people seem to have with the game as minor footnotes at best. Are there problems? Sure, it could be better. But the state of the game is already miles ahead of what I expected it to be and what many other MMOs currently reside at.

It also helps that I adopted the mindset of "there's no rush, I'll experience the content when I'm ready since it'll still be there when I get to it" and thus had no problems not getting my Moonlight Fortress and Clock Tower raid clears until the 3rd week after they were released. Whatever constraints people are feeling because of "falling behind the grind" exist only in their minds.

So I'm pretty good with the state of the game as it stands and am content to wait patiently to see what Nexon has in store for the future.

Just remember that what you read on the forums is only the people who felt vocal enough about it to make a post; selection bias at its finest. Most of your everyday players are reasonably fine with the way things are, or else they'd have quit by now.

Problem is JungSoo is the only guy who cares while his entire team is googoogaga'ing. I like JungSoo, this game would have been a triple A disaster without him.
    ClericeruWittlePlushy
  • EiseiEisei
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 810
    They take a game that's structurally built with p2w in mind, strips the p2w aspect and let it run 3 whole months before finally realizes that the game doesn't work well this way. At this point they're gonna have to redo the fundamentals of this game FAST, or they might have to bring back p2w so this game can be anywhere near the profit level a company like Nexon expects.
    XtonyMarionette
  • MarionetteMarionette
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,405
    edited 7:21PM December 29, 2018
    Eisei wrote: »
    They take a game that's structurally built with p2w in mind, strips the p2w aspect and let it run 3 whole months before finally realizes that the game doesn't work well this way. At this point they're gonna have to redo the fundamentals of this game FAST, or they might have to bring back p2w so this game can be anywhere near the profit level a company like Nexon expects.

Yeah man, give me that striker already and that delicious P2W, maybe then some whales will buy more of my UGC. Also Epic pets from Raid dungeons when??? Good job Devs saying Epic pets aren't required when you buffed raid bosses' HP by 40% That or maybe toss Fairfight back in for raid bosses and return things to how they were originally despite Cucksman getting his way earlier. Haaaaa.
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    edited 8:48PM December 29, 2018
    I suspect they're already working on MS2 Mobile.

Since Korean MS2 is not even in the Top 100 of PC Bang games (Maplestory 1 is constantly in the Top 5), and Global MS2's population is shrinking massively - I don't see how they can justify more development resources beyond next year. It will be maintenance mode with new content very occasionally.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 7:55AM December 30, 2018
    Eisei wrote: »
    They take a game that's structurally built with p2w in mind, strips the p2w aspect and let it run 3 whole months before finally realizes that the game doesn't work well this way. At this point they're gonna have to redo the fundamentals of this game FAST

This is indeed what it looks like but there's more to it. No point in removing the meso <-> meret trade if the cash shop doesn't sell P2W stuff. Adding the toolkit to the dungeons addresses the right issue but making Peachy a viable alternative to Ophelia would have addressed the same issue in a much better way as this would also diversify gear progression at the same time (which is one thing they claimed to care about). Fair Fight is just a cancer that evidently does more harm than good and needs to go and the list goes on.

Sad thing is that any kind of feedback seems to get completely ignored unless it's tweeted at Jungsoo Lee directly.
  • SJTeamSJTeam
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    Eino wrote: »
    I suspect they're already working on MS2 Mobile.

Since Korean MS2 is not even in the Top 100 of PC Bang games (Maplestory 1 is constantly in the Top 5), and Global MS2's population is shrinking massively - I don't see how they can justify more development resources beyond next year. It will be maintenance mode with new content very occasionally.

Korean MS2 just got a content drop and i hear it was pretty decent population increase, MS2 will always have a community even if its small.... players will still buy mesos if they are mesos buyers and run sellers will still sell runs.
  • FearmypawsFearmypaws
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    edited 11:55PM December 30, 2018
    I just still don't understand how "Nexon" cannot think of solution, even it's small team yet. I mean... this is 2k18 right? Think of something to counter bots... Every nexon games has bots/goldsellers running there 24/7. I gonna be brutal honest, i just think nexon'll give up on this game someday. It's a death sentence since day one. Don't think so? Look over their previous game titles... you would be surprised.
  • WittlePlushyWittlePlushy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    edited 9:13AM December 31, 2018
    1) Fair fight - making it seem like you're not progressing at all leaving chaos raids as the only way to see improvement.
    2) Rng - making investing time and effort an unreliable way to progress (Epic pets).
    3) Time gating - making the amount of time or effort you spend limited (Chaos raid limit or Hard dungeon limit).
    4) Commitment - referring to point 2 and 3. Due to how long it took, and the amount of effort you had to put in; you may not be up to making an alt and switching mains if you don't like your character (without seriously being set back since everything is character bound).
    5) Toxic community - driving away potential new players (I had to practically gear 2 irl friends last week cause no one would party with them or help them on what to do for gearing).
    6) Bots - for some people, but with the declining state of the game its iffy for others (having 3 bots leveling with you to 50 willing to throw themselves repeatedly at a boss till it's dead vs spending 30 minutes queuing to not get a party then having to solo everything till 50).

Take your pick

(I still play this game and enjoy it because the alternative choices of games aren't appealing to me besides bdo which I quit when it became p2w)
  • AsukuraAsukura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,460
    The game is a shallow grind and people are realizing how boring it is. It's kind of funny, I wonder who's still going to defend these boring game designs.
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    Asukura wrote: »
    I wonder who's still going to defend these boring game designs.

The status quo warriors.
    Heimerdinger
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    Asukura wrote: »
    The game is a shallow grind and people are realizing how boring it is. It's kind of funny, I wonder who's still going to defend these boring game designs.

There are plenty of 'em like in any other MMORPG that died early. I am curious to see how they will act when the game goes barren. Will they silently leave? Or will they still go on and praise the all mighty Nexon? I think they might actually argue that the game died because of too many complaints, lul.
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 3:18PM December 31, 2018
    MochiAi wrote: »
    There are plenty of 'em like in any other MMORPG that died early. I am curious to see how they will act when the game goes barren. Will they silently leave? Or will they still go on and praise the all mighty Nexon? I think they might actually argue that the game died because of too many complaints, lul.

The game is clearly dying because of my negativity. If only I was more positive, people would see it and think that this game was the best thing ever.

Don't think the game will die, but there will be enough players left for Nexon to sell costumes too. But I could be wrong.
    Heimerdinger
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    Clericeru wrote: »
    MochiAi wrote: »

The game is clearly dying because of my negativity. If only I was more positive, people would see it and think that this game was the best thing ever.

Don't think the game will die, but there will be enough players left for Nexon to sell costumes too. But I could be wrong.

Maybe. They might just have enough people to milk and keep the game profitable. But danng whoever buys their overpriced goodies, I just wanna salute you for being a good consumer!
    ArSkulder