Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

steamcharts for Maplestory 2

Comments

• thdthd
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Its all because of those high tier players that sell runs for 200-300mils meso. Korean MS2 failed big time because of this. These players are like bots and they are toxic. Those high tier guilds, they run multiple accounts and advertise to sell their runs. Who knows, they are also proably running actual bots. You never know
    ZZZzzzTooManyGlitchesTerensSherriMiehXXPriestXX44FrostZzBananaCatDanDKPilikenand 1 other.
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,795
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Had is the right word. Our peak is now 7K and 4K when not in peak. Which not at peak players would be less than 10% of all time high players. Most MMOs, unless you're looking at one at the bring of closure, like Bless online, had their worst dip be 50% players or less.

Behold the might of F2P games; the "try before you buy" marketing plan. People came, people didn't like, people left. I've already explained why we're not getting all those people back. The UGC issue and Bots played minor roles in causing players to leave, as very, very few people made UGC at good to high quality across the servers in the first place (I'd know; I stalked other servers for non-plagiarising inspiration), and the Inflation caused by Bots actually made the Onyx needed to enchant gear cheaper + the fact that they're only prevalent at Lv50 Normal Adv dungeons and can be abandoned in the party or kicked from it. The issues were transition to 2100 gearscore, RNG hell for enchanting, and stale leveling experience w/ average end-game (Prior to Chaos raids, but Chaos raids just frustrate people more since it's a big difficulty spike after completing CDEV and trying CMOC).

I mean, I don't know what else to tell you. Bots aren't going anywhere since those groups are outsourcing the creation of those Bots to professional programmers who will circumvent the games security as many times as needed, this game won't hit that all-time peak number again unless complete rehauls are done on the game in nearly all aspects (Can't just change the RNG system for enchanting/Gems/Pets/etc. without adjusting the drop rates of the gear/materials, can't do that without adjusting progression, etc.), and we still haven't even settled at our core playerbase number to consider this a big issue because we're still in Q1 of the game releasing. We can revisit this with playerbase numbers being the central talking point in February.
    XXPriestXX44
  • KasorasKasoras
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,350
    It's not secret the game is dying pretty hard. People will be delusional though and say non sense like "iT hApPeNs To EvErY MmO bRo" while pointing to shitty p2w chinese/korean mmos and conveniently ignoring the actual good ones.
    mirta000SherriStromanXXPriestXX44ArSkulderEnomotoEinoClericeruDanDKPilikenand 1 other.
  • SecrotsSecrots
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,475
    thd wrote: »
    Its all because of those high tier players that sell runs for 200-300mils meso. Korean MS2 failed big time because of this. These players are like bots and they are toxic. Those high tier guilds, they run multiple accounts and advertise to sell their runs. Who knows, they are also proably running actual bots. You never know

Or...the fact that this game is a glorified lottery ticket and the novelty has worn off as a result?

But yeah, those pesky elites did all of this.
    TooManyGlitchesmirta000MiehXXPriestXX44ExigaDanDKPilikenMeso_Man
  • SandoSando
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 795
    FeverJaws wrote: »
    MochiAi wrote: »
    steam is not the only platform ffs.. start to realize that majority of people dont use steam they use nexon launcher.. theres more then what it says. in Eu servers alone we are prob 10k + players daily without count hackers.

Not implying anything but where did you get that number 10k+ on EU server? Last time I heard from a UGC creator on EU, EU server is literally dead and there aren't enough players for a healthy UGC market. Also the EU raiders are voicing concern due to decreasing population and you are the only person who seem optimistic. Seems like NA W and E is still healthy, population wise, but EU - definitely not.

i dont have any numbers that was just out of my back. . but it sure does have alot more players then u think seeing theres 10+ party finder pages everyday. non bots. or spam

Just ignore that guy a well known troll in the runeblader section. Build a troll build and tries to declare it the best build ever and all other builds are dumb
    ArSkulder
  • CryotronCryotron
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,935
    thd wrote: »
    Kasoras wrote: »
    It's not secret the game is dying pretty hard. People will be delusional though and say non sense like "iT hApPeNs To EvErY MmO bRo" while pointing to shitty p2w chinese/korean mmos and conveniently ignoring the actual good ones.

This is what I mean by selling runs is a harmful for any MMO game. People are making "business" out of a video game to carry players that want to progress... and when I mean progress... I mean getting carried through a content that would more or less be rewarding to the player depending on luck...

It takes ingame currency to get these runs. You can try to go for the run by making a group yourself and try to earn it but you gotta be honest with yourself: is it really worth it on the long run? I thought video games are supposed to be fun. Not make a business out of it... :/

I think the only good thing about this game is that there is no P2W aspect, it's mostly P2C. C being cosmetics, conveniences, whatever the things that are actually cool and convenient to use that affects little to no gameplay whatsoever.
    XXPriestXX44DanDKPiliken
  • SecrotsSecrots
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,475
    Really now, in a game with a functioning economy, you find it harmful that people are trying to make money? Potion solvents, pets, epic weapons, bis accessories are all sold and aimed for as if they're a business as well. No one is batting an eye here.

The common buyer is not someone who can't do the content. It's someone who doesn't want to do it. The only exception will be cpap due to how good legend weps are, to which they are priced high.

You're deluding yourself if you think selling runs is somehow harmful to the game. RNG abuse is the core of the problem and that should be addressed before literally anything else if this game wants to improve.
  • StromanStroman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 465
    steam is not the only platform ffs.. start to realize that majority of people dont use steam they use nexon launcher.. theres more then what it says. in Eu servers alone we are prob 10k + players daily without count hackers.

Trends on Steam will reflect the overall trend, do you even statistics dude?
    mirta000XXPriestXX44EinoDanDKPiliken
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    Secrots wrote: »
    RNG abuse is the core of the problem and that should be addressed before literally anything else if this game wants to improve.

May I ask, what is it that you mean by RNG abuse?
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,450
    Forum Moderator
    - Maplers are helpful and courteous. They always provide constructive feedback and respectfully disagree with their fellow Maplers.

Code Of Conduct by CM Cuddles

Please adhere to these rules when posting. No need to be hostile.
  • HeimerdingerHeimerdinger
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,870
    edited 6:31PM December 4, 2018
    https://steamcharts.com/app/372000 aint got nothing on tree of savior , the record for fastest game death

- Maplers are helpful and courteous. They always provide constructive feedback and respectfully disagree with their fellow Maplers.

latest?cb=20170505205611

NahoBuuuuuutwhY
  • MONSTRMONSTR
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,240
    no way! people leave? impossible!? It must be unique to this game and it conclusively shows how much of a failure it is! Let's dishonesty post charts of other games that turned their population around after a couple of years. ded gam, no communication like weekly blogs, twitter account slapping down fake news, and live streams./s
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    edited 7:43PM December 4, 2018
    The real test will be the upcoming December update and the holidays.

It's a peak time for gaming as more people have time off, and a new class / big features should attract more players back. A perfect storm.

If the population bump is small, there's zero hope for GMS2's future.
  • CalindelCalindel
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,610
    What do you expect, playing MS2 is like participating in an experimental beta where your progress is wiped at the end every of week.

You either constantly fail your weapon enchantments and lose all your sacrifice weapons, or you constantly fail all your gemstone upgrades and waste all your dust, or you constantly fail all your attempts to unlock multiple sockets and waste all your accessories and mesos, or you constantly get completely useless and low attributes when re-rolling attributes and waste your colored crystals, or you spend 1,000s of T3 Dryad Snares and millions of pet candies and do not catch an epic pet.

Does this sound fun to anyone, I mean seriously, think about it.

Miehmirta000DanDK
  • KhalykKhalyk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,400
    Mieh wrote: »

your beyond dumb are you not?

ESO and FFXIV reborn still have 100k + or more players. FFXIV reborn in the millions. and also your giving proof to how dumb your thread is. by giving us proof at how wrong you are.

Woah, calm down, buddy.

They're just stating the obvious. Even if the loss of players was just in Steam, this is a big loss. Regardless of how many people play through the Nexon launcher, many people that played on Steam have quit/taken a break, and it keeps on increasing, so there's no denying it.

Plus, what makes you think that players that use the Nexon launcher aren't quitting too? I mean, you just have to go through the maps that used to be overpopulated in Channel 1 to see how empty they are compared to October.
    The Europe server is super empty for example.

Not necessarily, you are extrapolating results from incomplete data... You are extrapolating that because we saw this percentage of drop off from the steam charts, that according to a law of averages this would mean there was an equal drop off of Nexon launcher accounts. There is not data to prove this, you cant assume averages with a completely missing data point. Now since ESO was used in your example we know ESO's player base from the 2017 article cited here https://www.mcvuk.com/business/ten-million-in-tamriel-the-slow-build-success-story-of-elder-scrolls-online is 10 million players, with 2.5 monthly active users. ESO according to your steam analytics had about 50% more recent and peak 24 hour users. Does that mean we can extrapolate MS2 runs about 1.25 million active monthly users? Is that not healthy for a game that has 5 game servers? Or we can agree that it is but a single data point and it doesnt tell anywhere near the full story. And as someone stated earlier in the thread and me personally have done, I actually originally started playing on steam, then dumped it on steam to solely use Nexon launcher.
  • KhalykKhalyk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,400
    mirta000 wrote: »
    They lost close to half their playerbase after scamming them the first time. If you want to look up their player loss look at 2 years ago when it first came out not the recent P2W update.

their lifetime worst dip was from 28K peak to 15K. Which seems like nothing compared to our current fall :/
    https://steamcharts.com/app/372000 aint got nothing on tree of savior , the record for fastest game death

latest?cb=20170505205611

Also here is your daily reminder that after starting multiple threads about quitting Heimer is still around starting drama. ;)
  • MiehMieh
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,230
    edited 1:37AM December 5, 2018
    Khalyk wrote: »
    Not necessarily, you are extrapolating results from incomplete data... You are extrapolating that because we saw this percentage of drop off from the steam charts, that according to a law of averages this would mean there was an equal drop off of Nexon launcher accounts. There is not data to prove this, you cant assume averages with a completely missing data point. Now since ESO was used in your example we know ESO's player base from the 2017 article cited here https://www.mcvuk.com/business/ten-million-in-tamriel-the-slow-build-success-story-of-elder-scrolls-online is 10 million players, with 2.5 monthly active users. ESO according to your steam analytics had about 50% more recent and peak 24 hour users. Does that mean we can extrapolate MS2 runs about 1.25 million active monthly users? Is that not healthy for a game that has 5 game servers? Or we can agree that it is but a single data point and it doesnt tell anywhere near the full story. And as someone stated earlier in the thread and me personally have done, I actually originally started playing on steam, then dumped it on steam to solely use Nexon launcher.

Well.

1. It was not me who put those Steam charts.
    And 2, while I don't have all the data, just by looking at the Steam Charts, the complaints, the threads about people quitting, and most importantly, not seeing as many people in-game is proof enough for me that it is decaying.
    Look, I have no idea from what server you are, but if you're not from EU, go ahead and make a character in it and have a walk around. Seriously, lately I've been able to stay in Tria ch1 without a problem at peak hours, and bots weren't even there (less bots = less business = less players)! Amazing right?
    Or even better, why don't you visit the OCE server. Because I know for a fact that they had started with what normal people would consider "few players". I don't want to imagine how they deal with raids.

I don't really know what you guys want to defend, the game doesn't have as many active players as it used to back in October, it's undeniable, deal with it.
    Clericerumirta000DanDK
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 1:49AM December 5, 2018
    Mieh wrote: »
    I don't really know what you guys want to defend, the game doesn't have as many active players as it used to back in October, it's undeniable, deal with it.

I don't understand all this hatred towards pointing out the reality of what's occurring to the player base. If there's some serious issues with this game, they need to be identified and corrected. The larger the community, the more support the game can get, the more employees the company can afford, the more updates we can expect. Is that not a win for everyone?
    mirta000MiehDanDK
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    According to this thread, almost every game dies because the population is highest after launch. The months after is always a decline in players due to people trying the game out.
  • mirta000mirta000
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,275
    WiLBoY wrote: »
    According to this thread, almost every game dies because the population is highest after launch. The months after is always a decline in players due to people trying the game out.

when did you see a 90% decline in a live game?
    DanDK