Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

steamcharts for Maplestory 2

mirta000mirta000
MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,275
edited 11:38AM December 7, 2018 in General Chat
AiWxJCF.png

This is not how a healthy game looks. There seems to be an amplitude of problems that developers do not know how to address and it shows. Unless we normalize, we're entering the realms of Wildstar.

EDIT:

mCHEBbI.png

This is after the update. I gave it a nice 24 hours. We got a bump of 3K characters and we're back to 9K at peak times :/
CaitheTalnovaXXPriestXX44HeimerdingerEnomotoDanDKClericeru

Comments

• FeverJawsFeverJaws
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,730
    edited 3:16AM December 4, 2018
    steam is not the only platform ffs.. start to realize that majority of people dont use steam they use nexon launcher.. theres more then what it says. in Eu servers alone we are prob 10k + players daily without count hackers.
    MiehExigaNahoLeilafi
  • mirta000mirta000
    FeverJaws wrote: »
    steam is not the only platform ffs.. start to realize that majority of people dont use steam they use nexon launcher.. theres more then what it says. in Eu servers alone we are prob 10k + players daily without count hackers.

here's a few to compare it to. None of these games are only exclusively on steam either.

Successful MMOs:

s3PsukD.png

i1KimGZ.png

Dead MMO:

PNpC00R.png

Under no circumstance should you see a clear trajectory downwards.
    CaitheSimonaRonxuSherriXXPriestXX44TamakiSakuraHeimerdingerEnomotoEinoSteamedBunsand 2 others.
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    It will climb a bit once this weeks update arrives with the new sb class, but overall it ain't looking so great. I haven't been on much recently myself, said I would take an alt through the game to see how the new changes effect incoming players before making a decisions whether to stay or not.
  • ZikiZiki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    I started out on steam but then switched to Nexon Launcher.
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    mirta000 wrote: »

here's a few to compare it to. None of these games are only exclusively on steam either.

Successful MMOs:

s3PsukD.png

i1KimGZ.png

Dead MMO:

PNpC00R.png

your beyond dumb are you not?

ESO and FFXIV reborn still have 100k + or more players. FFXIV reborn in the millions. and also your giving proof to how dumb your thread is. by giving us proof at how wrong you are.
  • MiehMieh
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,230
    edited 3:49AM December 4, 2018

ESO and FFXIV reborn still have 100k + or more players. FFXIV reborn in the millions. and also your giving proof to how dumb your thread is. by giving us proof at how wrong you are.

Woah, calm down, buddy.

They're just stating the obvious. Even if the loss of players was just in Steam, this is a big loss. Regardless of how many people play through the Nexon launcher, many people that played on Steam have quit/taken a break, and it keeps on increasing, so there's no denying it.

Plus, what makes you think that players that use the Nexon launcher aren't quitting too? I mean, you just have to go through the maps that used to be overpopulated in Channel 1 to see how empty they are compared to October.
    The Europe server is super empty for example.
    Caithemirta000RonxuKayshaSherriXXPriestXX44ArSkulderHeimerdingerEnomotoPkmdzand 5 others.
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,305
    edited 3:56AM December 4, 2018

Not implying anything but where did you get that number 10k+ on EU server? Last time I heard from a UGC creator on EU, EU server is literally dead and there aren't enough players for a healthy UGC market. Also the EU raiders are voicing concern due to decreasing population and you are the only person who seem optimistic. Seems like NA W and E is still healthy, population wise, but EU - definitely not.
    mirta000EnomotoVeremisiaAkoza
  • VixroVixro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,380
    Playing through steam omegalul
  • CryotronCryotron
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,935
    Not gonna lie, this is downright concerning.

I hope the developers are doing the best they can to keep the game fresh every now and then. I look forward to the next post they're about to update.
    mirta000TooManyGlitchessmol_burritoHeimerdingerEino
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    edited 5:56AM December 4, 2018
    MochiAi wrote: »

Not implying anything but where did you get that number 10k+ on EU server? Last time I heard from a UGC creator on EU, EU server is literally dead and there aren't enough players for a healthy UGC market. Also the EU raiders are voicing concern due to decreasing population and you are the only person who seem optimistic. Seems like NA W and E is still healthy, population wise, but EU - definitely not.

i dont have any numbers that was just out of my back. . but it sure does have alot more players then u think seeing theres 10+ party finder pages everyday. non bots. or spam
  • mirta000mirta000

did you notice how both of those were under "successful" MMOs? They have fluctuations where some months there will be less players, other months there will be more, with biggest rises in player base during major expansions. However if you'll notice after release all of them showed a slow upwards trend and their falls plateau rather fast.

Now look at the 3rd graph. Now look back at Maplestory 2. What does it look like? It is rather uncommon for any MMO that will live to enter a fall that fast and to continue falling. The trend is concerning and as there are always in MMO markets, time to act is scarce.

The way that I see it main issues with MS2 are:

- story based leveling is boring (the fact that they're nerfing fishing exp and music exp won't help here. If anything more activities should become a viable way to level)
    - End game is 3 different gates of RNG in one. Said RNG in the Korea serves a P2W purpose where they can buy items to help them with the grind. We just got the grind.
    - UGC ripping is an issue long past the solve date and solution to increase the UGC listing price simply killed UGC in 3/5 servers.
    - meso selling and botting is a big issue.
    XXPriestXX44DanDKKarma93
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    >muh steam is not the only platform
    What if I told ya'll it's a big enough mass of data to create statistics on the general playerbase? Specially when they make exclusive deals for steam users. It's still the same game, the issue that made a Steam user quit is the very same a Nexon user would quit about.

The only scenario in which the decline on Steam's statistics could not represent the whole thing is in case they're creating benefits for emigration off it, which is not the case.
    mirta000SimonaKayshaEinoPkmdzDanDKVeremisia
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,795
    edited 7:08AM December 4, 2018

Successful MMOs:

s3PsukD.png

i1KimGZ.png

Dead MMO:

PNpC00R.png

Did you just compare an F2P Korean game with 2 of the best Triple-A RPG franchises of all time? With FF being #2? (#1 being Pokemon)

This game would need an overhaul from the ground-up in nearly every aspect, along with going P2P, to pull numbers even close to theirs 1+ years into launch. Compare it to something like BDO instead. 10k on weekdays as 24-hour peak via Steam client. A reasonable settling goal for us after the new update hits. Nexon Client has more than the amount shown on Steam itself obviously, but we won't include that number since we don't know what it is (And don't know BDO's number using default client either).

Even with the Dev team working to make favorable changes, this game isn't for everybody. The proper way to look at the population is to wait until it's in Q2, and then observe the population chart there. F2P RPG games never retain their initial hype population count after a few months these days.
    GretaExiga
  • mirta000mirta000
    edited 7:13AM December 4, 2018
    Sixaxis wrote: »
    Did you just compare an F2P Korean game with 2 of the best Triple-A RPG franchises of all time? With FF being #2? (#1 being Pokemon)

This game would need an overhaul from the ground-up in nearly every aspect, along with going P2P, to pull numbers even close to theirs 1+ years into launch. Compare it to something like BDO instead. 10k on weekdays as 24-hour peak via Steam client. A reasonable settling goal for us after the new update hits. Nexon Client has more than the amount shown on Steam itself obviously, but we won't include that number since we don't know what it is (And don't know BDO's number using default client either).

Even with the Dev team working to make favorable changes, this game isn't for everybody. The proper way to look at the population is to wait until it's in Q2, and then observe the population chart there. F2P RPG games never retain their initial hype population count after a few months these days.

BDO lost less players than Maplestory 2 even after their controversial update that brought a lot of P2W to the game.
    EnomotoEinoDanDKKarma93
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,795
    BDO lost less players than Maplestory 2 even after their controversial update that brought a lot of P2W to the game.

And MS2 has had a minimum of 40% more concurrent players online than BDO has ever had. What point are we trying to reach here?

I can only assume that you care deeply about the direction this game is headed because you love it, but you're doomsdaying a bit too early here. You see the efforts the Devs are putting into the next update? It will amount to little, 3 weeks after it hits, until the next update comes and the population starts rising again. This game is fun, but it is not designed in a way that allows it to compete with the other top MMORPGs on the market. Unless they pull a WoW and start getting Wrestlers and Hollywood Actors to advertise the game, it will never significantly rise from the number you see now.
  • mirta000mirta000

And MS2 has had a minimum of 40% more concurrent players online than BDO has ever had. What point are we trying to reach here?

I can only assume that you care deeply about the direction this game is headed because you love it, but you're doomsdaying a bit too early here. You see the efforts the Devs are putting into the next update? It will amount to little, 3 weeks after it hits, until the next update comes and the population starts rising again. This game is fun, but it is not designed in a way that allows it to compete with the other top MMORPGs on the market. Unless they pull a WoW and start getting Wrestlers and Hollywood Actors to advertise the game, it will never significantly rise from the number you see now.

Had is the right word. Our peak is now 7K and 4K when not in peak. Which not at peak players would be less than 10% of all time high players. Most MMOs, unless you're looking at one at the bring of closure, like Bless online, had their worst dip be 50% players or less.
  • WittlePlushyWittlePlushy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    edited 7:40AM December 4, 2018

They lost close to half their playerbase after scamming them the first time (Then recovered it quickly by releasing new areas/classes). If you want to look up their player loss look at 2 years ago when it first came out not the recent P2W update.
  • mirta000mirta000
    edited 7:41AM December 4, 2018
    They lost close to half their playerbase after scamming them the first time. If you want to look up their player loss look at 2 years ago when it first came out not the recent P2W update.

their lifetime worst dip was from 28K peak to 15K. Which seems like nothing compared to our current fall :/
  • WittlePlushyWittlePlushy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    edited 7:56AM December 4, 2018
    They lost close to half their playerbase after scamming them the first time. If you want to look up their player loss look at 2 years ago when it first came out not the recent P2W update.

their lifetime worst dip was from 28K peak to 15K.

Look at their launch date to when they stopped losing players. Launched May, peaked like a month after in June (28,105) then lost players until 14,936 in October (the first "scam" happened during this period as well) and released new content to gain back their playerbase. If you want to compare BDO to MS2 and make predictions then this game will be reduced to it's core players and pick backup in 4 months. The majority of the people I know don't quit BDO because they're addicted to the enchant system and "there's no other game that rivals it's PvP system that isn't tab-target" otherwise I'm sure they would have lost even more players seeing how PvP is their only end game content. Personally I think that this game isn't able to provide something unique in the form of end game. In otherwords, unless they keep pumping out content that feels rewarding (the problem with a PvE focused game) it'll keep declining.
  • mirta000mirta000
    "Dip", anyway look at their launch date to when they stopped losing players. Launched May, peaked like a month after in June (28,105) then lost players until 14,936 in October (the first "scam" happened during this period as well) and released new content to gain back their playerbase. If you want to compare it to MS2 then this game will be reduced to it's core players and pick backup in 4 months.

that dip was slightly less than 50% of their player base though. Ours currently is 90% and going.