Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Questions for dedicated gathering players.

thdthd
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,540
in Life Skills
Do you guys always use pots when doing gathering for maximization?

Do you gather EVERYTHING or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which one do you gather?

Bergamot Herbs and Pears can be used to craft last tier gathering pots, but they are also used to craft Chicken and Special tonics. So what do you do to overcome this problem???

I always use gathering pots before I start and also wait for pot cooldowns in between. I also gather EVERYTHING. When its low, I either use gathering coupons or just skip and move on to next one. This whole process takes over one hour, approx 1hr 20mins. This include gathering from another players house.

I would like to reduce my time on this. What would be the best solution?

Thanks
TalnovaWlia

Comments

• InbumInbum
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,270
    This is a hilarious advertisement.
  • TalnovaTalnova
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,065
    I agree the system is tedious. I don't understand the point of it, except to force you to alternate between gathering and crafting, but it's pretty annoying honestly.
    Wlia
  • ClericeruClericeru
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,770
    edited 3:03AM December 3, 2018
    I tried making a spreadsheet to see if I could get away with only gathering certain types of things, but it looks like you pretty much have to get everything. Usually I watch youtube at the same time, and if I don't have an active gathering badge, I just keep mashing the space bar.

Some days I don't even gather anymore.
    Wlia
  • thdthd
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,540
    Inbum wrote: »
    This is a hilarious advertisement.

sibaloma
  • Lima3241Lima3241
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 525
    I have every class at 60 and for a while I gathered all materials on them every day.

It’s become incredibly monotonous and I’ve since stopped gathering on every alt. I now gather on my main and my three favorite alts.

Initially (a couple alts in), I just gathered regularly because I wanted to play ASAP on my main and continue dungeon running on my alts to funnel more mesos/catalysts to my main. But after getting a couple good rolls on a ring and cape and seeing the Meso potential (more than likely you won’t get anything good), I always use the boosters now.

For ranching, I use three cobalt gloves going from chicken to dragon.

For farming, I use one patchouli supplement for earth fragments and pears.

For foraging I use four tomato chips starting from bottom all the way to the top.

And for mining I use two griffin feather pouches and one pig pouch to gather all the important nodes.

This all takes a ridiculous amount of time mainly due to the five minute cooldown on the boosters. I feel it would shave an hour off easily if the cooldown was removed as a lot of the down time is me waiting for the cooldown...
    Wlia
  • UngodlyUngodly
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    You only get MP for the three(?) latest attained gathering/farming/ranching nodes, so it's pointless to use "pots" for everything.
  • ClericeruClericeru
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,770
    Ungodly wrote: »
    You only get MP for the three(?) latest attained gathering/farming/ranching nodes, so it's pointless to use "pots" for everything.

Not if it's the raw materials that you seek.
    DanDK
  • Lima3241Lima3241
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 525

Pots are used for double yield in materials. Means being able to craft that summoning stone quicker or making more savagery items or etc etc.
    DanDK
  • UngodlyUngodly
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    Lima3241 wrote: »

Pots are used for double yield in materials. Means being able to craft that summoning stone quicker or making more savagery items or etc etc.

Oh, sorry. Wrong by me. I've totally missed that the buffs says differently: Gain and Mastery Gain.
    I was mostly focused on ranking up.
  • UlukiniUlukini
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 820
    I assume you mean you wait for the cool down of the buffs and do nothing while you wait. If that's the case you could improve your efficiency by making portals in your house for the mining + foraging places and switch to the opposite one while you wait for your buffs to come off of being on cool down. I used to do this but got tired of it. I gather the top 3 for exp and call it quits now.
  • RedFormanRedForman
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Just gather everything and be happy when you cap rank
  • WliaWlia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 955
    Onestly i made Bot for gathering i just enter map and let it gather while i watch you tube and than move elsewhere and yea im not afraid to say it since its not add bot but i just fall asleep during gathering .-.
    Ulukini
  • AliceWhatAliceWhat
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 840
    Btw gathering multiple things at once can speed up the process a little bit. You cannot do it for mining and foraging but ranching and farming can be shortened: I placed all my vegetables and animals in 4-sized squares, that's obvious. What's not so obvious, and I only figured it out after playing the game for like 3 weeks, is that you can dash between two of these squares diagonally to speed up the process. When you stand on one type of vegetable or animal, you press F, loot, wait for like a sec and only then can you press F again. If you dash to the other type of material, you can press F immediately. The dashing distance is ideal for runeblade, I'm not sure about other classes but I think others can find a similar way to do it too. It takes very little practice, but it saves you a few seconds, which can result in not having to wait for one more cooldown of the boosting potion.
    While waiting for farming or ranching cooldown, you can do the other type that's not on cooldown, and for mining and foraging I usually just start playing music or do some crafting until the timer is ready.
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,220
    Since prices on most savagery equipment has dropped considerably lately, I suggest only focusing on gathering the items that have decent sell value, depending on what your goals are. As for gathering boosters, always use them as often as possible since they are extremely cheap for the value they give. Use the boosters that consume the least rare/valuable materials - again, this depends on price fluctuations on the market as well as which materials are your personal bottlenecks. For example, most Handicraft boosters (for Mining) use valuable materials that could instead be used to craft equipment, so you will want to plan carefully which to use.
    AliceWhat wrote: »
    Btw gathering multiple things at once can speed up the process a little bit. You cannot do it for mining and foraging but ranching and farming can be shortened: I placed all my vegetables and animals in 4-sized squares, that's obvious. What's not so obvious, and I only figured it out after playing the game for like 3 weeks, is that you can dash between two of these squares diagonally to speed up the process. When you stand on one type of vegetable or animal, you press F, loot, wait for like a sec and only then can you press F again. If you dash to the other type of material, you can press F immediately. The dashing distance is ideal for runeblade, I'm not sure about other classes but I think others can find a similar way to do it too. It takes very little practice, but it saves you a few seconds, which can result in not having to wait for one more cooldown of the boosting potion.
    While waiting for farming or ranching cooldown, you can do the other type that's not on cooldown, and for mining and foraging I usually just start playing music or do some crafting until the timer is ready.

@AliceWhat
    Actually you can solve this much simpler by simply making a 2x3 rectangle of the same type. The cooldown is not type dependent, it's node dependent. That's why I've made all my fields 2x3 so you can simply walk from one center to the other center which gives you exactly the result you just described without having to dash for it and without having to involve a new type (which would get complicated since they don't share drop rates). I also only harvest at houses where the owner has done the same thing in order to save time.
    This trick can actually be used at mining and foraging nodes as well for a 50% boost in gathering time by simply alternating 3 out of 4 nodes at a time. I've described this in more detail in the MS2 Wiki. It seems that most people aren't using this tactic.
  • AliceWhatAliceWhat
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 840
    DanDK wrote: »
    AliceWhat wrote: »

@AliceWhat
    Actually you can solve this much simpler by simply making a 2x3 rectangle of the same type. The cooldown is not type dependent, it's node dependent. That's why I've made all my fields 2x3 so you can simply walk from one center to the other center which gives you exactly the result you just described without having to dash for it and without having to involve a new type (which would get complicated since they don't share drop rates). I also only harvest at houses where the owner has done the same thing in order to save time.
    This trick can actually be used at mining and foraging nodes as well for a 50% boost in gathering time by simply alternating 3 out of 4 nodes at a time. I've described this in more detail in the MS2 Wiki. It seems that most people aren't using this tactic.

Hey Dan!
    I did use the "alternating 3 out of 4 nodes" method before, but for me it didn't always worked. Maybe I pressed F too early, I don't know, but sometimes after I gathered from 3 nodes and turned to the 4th one, it only gave me one drop instead of four when it clearly should have given four, since the chance was still high. It happened like 20-25% of the time, and for me, also, it is much more complicated to turn around in a small spot to separate 3 nodes first.
    I guess making 2×3 tiles might make it work, since there's a little time passing between two gatherings.
    Tbh, the fact that droprates are different was never a problem for me, because I placed the plants with similar drop rates next to each other, and since I usually stop gathering after the chance gets low, it just goes like this: average-average___low-average___low-low. So I gather one or two times with low chance until the other one next to it also becomes low.
    Apart from all this talking, if the 2×3 method always gives full (4) drops, that might be the best solution. I'm afraid I'm too lazy to redesign my gathering roof, so I'll stick to dashing for some time, haha.