Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

Feedback & Suggestions after 300 hours of MS2 pt1

DinkelbergDinkelberg
MapleStory 2 Rep: 460
edited 5:42AM December 7, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
PART 1
Preamble
After playing the game for a decent amount of time I feel the need to highlight some aspects of the game where I think it could do better and I guess I progressed far enough into it to give at least somewhat valuable Feedback on how things are or should be. This post will be divided into 9 different topics, with UI related stuff - if applicable - attached to their respective topic, in no particular order. I will be trying to keep it concise by putting some things behind spoilers. Since all of this would exceed the maximum number of characters allowed in a single post (20000) it had to be split in two - which it also barely fits into.Link to Part 2
Please keep in mind that everything I have to say is meant as constructive criticism to make the game more enjoyable and some things I will be mentioning will be strongly biased by my opinion. Also this post will not include feedback on things I appreciate about this game since it is already massive. But to shortly address this: If I wouln’t enjoy playing the game i woudn’t have made the effort to write this. I just think it needs some work. Insert obligatory excuse for typos or mistakes because English is not my mothertongue here. If you notice anything that lacks comprehensibility or that seems incomplete please let me know. If you have any opinions or suggestions related to any of the points made please include the corresponding number tag when commenting.
EDIT: As of Sky Fortress release some of the topics might be a bit dated but I already wasted enough time editing this.
Information about my progress (before Posting this) for perspective:
Archer (main, +12 Murp, 4k GS), Wizard, Berserker & Priest. All able to do hard dungeons, lvl 60, 500+ Trophies, all SP & AP obtained except 100 hour and Prestige ones.
Started leveling Assassin and Runeblade but stopped due to some issues i had while playing them (will be discussed further below) and time being a major constraint on how much i play my alts. No currency from alts was used for main gear as of posting this. Maximum Life Skill Rank: 11. Playing solely on gamepad because movement is so much more precise that it, at least for me, justifies having worse control over abilities.
If you are asking why I am only at +12 - daily / weekly caps are holding me back at the Moment.

1. Controls using a Gamepad
Using a XBox360 controller.

1.1. There should be an option that lemakes it possible to disable the highlight and the text overlay which pop up when holding down RT or LT, displaying in name what is bound to which Quickslot. It makes Buffs and Debuffs hard to see, obscures vision on possibly deadly effects and distracts from fights because it basically flashes and moves things in my peripheral field of view every time one of the triggers is pulled.

1.2. The UI shows (LB + anything) on the right side of the Skill Bar – the same side (RT + anything) is on - which is counterintuitive to say the least.

1.3. The ability to customize controls is lacking. List:
- I am not able to reassign button combinations, which are by default all bound to Quickslots.
- It is not possible to use (LB + "left") at all.
- It is not possible to use (RB + anything) as a combination since RB is hardcoded as a singular button press.
-> Consider making it possible to decide whether RB & LB are used for singular or combined button presses and properly enabling custom „keybinds“.

1.4. Macros are impractical to use. Reasoning:
Since you can bind Macros only to singular button presses, theoretically there is a total of 5 buttons i would be able to use for Macros. Unfortunately those are the only buttons I can bind Jump, Cancel, Action and Basic Attack(which is also used to sprint with mounts) to. So I am left with a maximum of one out of three possible Macros to use. In addition to that switching between my Macro and normal Skill usage becomes really awkward since it requires me to constantly swap between single button presses and combination presses promoting missclicks.
Note: This is the reason why i dont like to play my Wizard in Hard Dungeons and stopped leveling my Assassin early.
-> Possible solution should be to bind Macros to Quickslots instead of buttons, which would also be more intuitive to use. (Should be applicable to keyboard users as well.)

1.5. The skill bar has two extensions that are able to be hidden. The one on the right shows quickslots that are used in combination with LB. When trying to hide this extension the quickslots themselves disappear but the text stating „LB“ in bold yellow letters stays which it shouldn‘t. The extension on the left shows keyboard controls for basic attack, jump and item pick up. Kind of nonsensical if you ask me. Both share a common issue though and that is that they only stay hidden until you switch instances. If they are being hidden they should actually stay hidden until reopened.

1.6. Sometimes, when pressing the button combination for a skill while moving, the skill does not get activated and the character keeps moving. Needless to say this should not happen.

2. Gameplay
2.1. Remove Success Rate aka. Failure from Gathering Life Skills. Reasoning / Rant:
I think everybody can agree that Gathering Life Skills are at least not compelling gameplay. Sadly there is no better way to obtain certain items. Having a fail state for this already boring content which is also capped anyway is an arbitrary and pointless waste of time which becomes worse the higher your Gathering Level gets. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be forced to choose between either making less progress on Gathering and getting less items than he could be or at times interacting with 60+ of the same gatherable thing just to get the last drop towards his daily cap. It would already be time consuming enough - given it’s merits - even if there was no fail state and if this is anything it is massively disrespectful towards the players time.

2.2. Furnishing:
I ) Needs function to place multiple blocks at once, preferably setting two points and filling the cuboid they span with the type of block you want.
II) Needs function to move Blocks by picking them up and choosing a new location without altering their settings/rotation - especially for portals.
III) If possible should have function to move multiple items in the same manner as described in (II) combined with (I).

2.3. Camera zoom should not be reset on every instance change but stay at the last applied setting.

2.4. Getting revived by a player is worse for your health than waiting on the auto-revive of your pet. In my opinion both should revive at full or at least the same hp, with player revives having the potential benefit of being faster.

2.5. Doctors should be able to heal you to full hp even when not having the tombstone debuff.

2.6. It should be possible to remove buffs from yourself (possibly by double clicking the icon or something), because when wanting to measure DPM its a nuisance to get buffed by others.

2.7. The Fair Fight mechanic on World Bosses should scale depending on the number of players tagging the boss. More people should still result in a faster kill but if i.e. Doondun is needed for a daily and only 7 people are still there for the kill it should not take forever to kill him.

2.8. Dodging abilities in general feel somewhat inconsistent. Both in terms of when I get hit (cannot pin point the problem here since it might be a performance or connection issue) and in terms of balance across Classes. Most dodges I have used feel ok though I take particular issue with some mechanics.

- Archer:
The distance covered is so large that I end up overshooting a lot of times, resulting in having to reposition directly afterwards, which hurts damage uptime. Also the inability to dodge twice in a row in my eyes makes it inferior to other Calsses' dodges. (at least of those i played)
-> Since Stamina cost seems to be somewhat proportional to distance covered across Classes I would like to see the Stamina cost reduced to 60 and distance covered accordingly (probably around 5.5m).

- Runeblade:
The dodge automatically aims at enemies if the input direction is too close to the direction of the enemy in regards to the player character. Paired with the inability to instantly dodge a second time this mechanic killed me a few times even while leveling (main reason why I decided to stop playing RB).
-> Remove auto-aiming. There is no reason for this to be on a dodge that does not deal damage (the unlimited dodges for cooldown exchange is fine, even interesting).

- Priest:
For completion's sake: Current dodge is bad and going to change, awaiting update to test.

2.9. In my opinion pseudo 2D gameplay, namely in treasure dungeons and mushmom, should not exist. I am aware that this game's predecessor was amde in 2D but as I see it the gameplay mechanics of MS2 are not suited for this type of perspective.

3. Daily Missions
3.1. There should be a quest that you get upon reaching level 50 that tells you to go visit Aliyar - the Alicari Merchant Society guy that gives out daily quests. Why?:
Introduce new players to the existence of this dude. I completely missed out on him for a few days because there was no reason to go to Queenstown that I knew of. His dailies are also probably the best already existing mechanic to introduce newer players to the concept of killing World Bosses for EXP after level 50.

3.2. The Daily Missions UI should "remember" on which tab it was closed on a given character, even after logging out or swapping characters. Because reducing the number of clicks needed to get where you want to be is always good QoL.

3.3. The category "Toughen Up" desperately needs a rework regarding dungeon content as quests. Reasoning:
Generally speaking the rewards of this tab are desirable. Since Dungeon runs are capped on a daily and weekly basis, while you are not capped for the day/week it forces you to decide whether you want to waste a dungeon run on a dungeon that is in no way, shape or form worth running (except maybe Tronix Bunker but that becomes unefficient as soon as you are able to run Hard Dungeons, and yes i know that some objectives can be done just to cancel the run directly after but it's lame).
-> Temporary fix: depending on player gear score run any normal / hard dungeon. (Would at least fix the problem of wasting runs, but is generic and boring)
-> Best solution i could think up in a minute (I'm certain there may be better ones): depending on player gear score do *specific dungeon*. This run does not count towards your daily/weekly limit.
Further explanation:
Depending on player gear score as in 1.5k+ GS get generic/specific Normal Dungeon and 2.1k+ GS get generic/specific Hard Dungeon (check GS on daily reset). The second solution would add some variety to dungeon runs, don’t make you feel like you wasted a run and might be in turn something you look forward to every day (maybe fix the occurance to one every day, else it might get OP/underwhelming). But because it probably requires some tech to be added to the game I provided the temporary suggestion.

3.4. If a character travels to queenstown in a way that is not coming from one of the adjacent maps or by taxi it should always spawn on the spot next to Aliyar since the distance traveled by foot/mount to reach daily tasks such as alicari quests, low level gathering and event locations would on average be the least from there.

3.5. It would be nice if:
1. World Bosses needed for alicari quests would not have the exact same spawn time as the other one.
2. World Bosses needed for the Hoard Things quests would not have the exact same spawn times as other ones.
3. World Bosses needed for the Hoard Things tab would not be ones spawning at the exact same time as the ones from the Alicari Quests. It’s fine if they are exactly the same though :)
In regards to this it might be worth considering changing some of the spawn times to currently unused time slots, namely xx:10, xx:20, xx:30 and xx:50 (keep xx:00 free to put event bosses on). In terms of sequencing I think it would make the most sense to alternate between higher level and lower level World Boss spawns.

4. Items and their Descriptions
Concerning Stats, Items and Mechanics I am convinced that Players should get enough information on them ingame to determine their value. At the moment this is in my opinion harder than it needs to be so here are some points regarding that.

4.1. Add cooldowns to the description of Item effects since they are invisible at the moment. Lengthy Reasoning:
Many Epic Weapons have additional effects like giving damage for a certain period of time. Those effects do however have cooldowns that are nowhere to be found in the Item's description. This can be very misleading when trying to judge the actual power of said Items without knowing of these cooldowns. Also, even if you know of the existence of said cooldowns, it is hard to determine the exact cooldown, the resulting uptime and in turn how it stacks up against other Items.

4.2. If Item effects already have a cooldown, why do they need an additional chance to proc? It only adds an RNG factor with negative impact on your DPM. They should be activated on the first hit after the cooldown has expired. If the chance to proc was being added to further balance the uptime it should be balanced by extending the cooldown instead.

4.3. Armor parts can only roll one offensive bonus attribute. If this is stated ingame I could not find it. It really should be stated somewhere (preferably in the reroll screen) though since the lack of this knowledge could result in resources being wasted to get bonus attribute combinations that are impossible to get.
Or maybe make it possible to roll two offensive stats if it doesn’t mess with balancing too much.

4.4. It should be possible to make roll ranges for every Attribute on every Item visible. Further explanantion:
Do not show it all the time since it might confuse new players. But there should be a key that, while held down, extends the description of any Item being hovered over by the possible roll ranges for each Attribute. A player should be able to know how good or bad his Item is without having to look it up online or asking a streamer (when watching MS2 streams in the background one of the faq is what is max roll on xy or how good is this Item).

4.5. Every container’s description should accurately reflect it’s possible / guaranteed content. Using the Meso Mission Boxes from the Daily Mission reward tab "Get Rich" as an example their description should read somewhat like this:
Double-click to obtain:
Guaranteed:
- 7 x 1,000-Meso-Pouch
- 7 x 10,000-Meso-Pouch
Chance to get one of the following:
- 1 x 1,000-Meso-Pouch
- 1 x 5,000-Meso-Pouch
- 1 x 10,000-Meso-Pouch
- 1 x 50,000-Meso-Pouch
- 1 x 100,000-Meso-Pouch
- 1 x 500,000-Meso-Pouch
List of containers lacking accurate descriptions (that i know of):
- Gemstone & Gem Dust Box
- Small Gem Dust Box
- Gem Dust Box
- Tier 1 Gemstone Box
- Tier 2 Gemstone Box
- Colorful Crystal Box
- Dryad Pet Random Capsule S
- Power Mission Box
- Meso Mission Box
- Material Mission Box
- Gold Mission Complete Box
- Prestige Rank Reward Box
- Assorted Block Chest
- Sturdy Cube Box
List of containers lacking any description (that i know of):
- Level Up Mission Box
- Social Mission Box
- Special Mission Box

4.7. There should be reroll scrolls for Base Attributes on Items because it hurts my heart to see two max rolled BiS bonus Attributes on an Item with the worst possible base stats.

4.8. From what I have seen defensive bonus attributes currently matter to such a small extent in PvE that they are essentially redundant. There should be cases where they matter though since all they are now are kind of useless stats to make it harder to get useful stats on gear.

5. UI
5.1. There should be an Option to disable or at least reduce the "you are gonna die soon" red effect over the whole screen since it obscures vision at a time where you need to see what could kill you the most.

5.2. Singular UI elements should be resizable and movable. Example:
Currently playing with reduced UI size because the Skill Bar is way too big for my liking on normal settings. Now the party UI is so small it is hard to see what Classes players are playing and it is even harder to read their names, especially if they are not in the same Map because it is less opaque.

5.3. An option to show a spirit bar above my characters head along with the health bar because it would be easier to see than looking down between your skills. Also every timeframe I am not looking at my character or it's general vicinity is a timeframe where I could miss something important during combat.

5.4. Your friends list should either show your friends first or remember the tab it was closed on even after logging out.

5.5. Using the collect button on marked mails in the mail UI should leave them marked in all cases. (They get unchecked after collecting if you used the button to mark all mails to mark them.)

5.6. Always showing friendly NPCs on the minimap should be default. There are way too many people having trouble finding NPCs because they simply don’t know about the existence of this option.

5.7. It should be possible to hide titles, insignias and name tag badges at least in dungeons/raids but preferably everywhere to reduce visual clutter while still being able to tell who is who.

5.8. Party Damage-Meter should be available in dungeons, so players realize how well they are actually contributing.

5.9. Damage-Meters should not have a mode that displays DPS, so people who are less acquainted with math don’t get tricked into using it over short periods of time to measure their attack power.

5.10. Personal Damage-Meters should have an option to automatically reset on instance change or entering a dungeon/raid lobby.

5.11. Damage-Meters should have a mode that only displays damage done to bosses.

5.12. The players own healthbar should always be shown in the front of other players health bars. Having the option to change either the color of the player’s health bar or health bars of other players would also contribute to more visual clarity.

Continue to Part 2
MiehExigaVetti