Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Thief DPS buff suggestion

CosmicChocCosmicChoc
Maplestory 2 Rep: 940
in Thief
So I main thief and I know how hard it is to manage the class and keep up the DPs with the other classes

Here is my suggestion

Every x amount of attack increases the damage by x% for x amout of cool down and x amount of time the effect will stay.

For example :
every 10th hit you increase the damage of each hit by 0.5% for 5 sec if you stop attacking for 2sec the buff goes away and have a cool down of 8 sec.

Or
Something like
If the target is being poison the damage is increased by x% for a limited time and a cool down.
For example:

If the target is poisoned your damage will do 105% of what it usually does for 3 sec and have a cool down of 8sec.

These would increase the base and ceiling of the class but you’ll still need skills and what not to play it but now instead of it being low-high Dps it’s now Mid-high

Feed back would be appreciated
Thief class victim
EcchiOtakuTM
  1. What do you think about the idea?7 votes
    1. Possible
       14% (1 vote)
    2. Maybe
       14% (1 vote)
    3. Too OP
       29% (2 votes)
    4. Impossible
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Have other ideas
       43% (3 votes)

Comments

• EcchiOtakuTMEcchiOtakuTM
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 995
    edited 5:26PM November 8, 2018
    First suggestion does nothing but buff vicious cuts which already a well powered skill, we should be trying to help thief in a way that doesn't suddenly destroy other build options completely

2nd is basically Poison Guile.

Thief needs prerequisite skills to be addressed before further buffing it's damage. Having all these extra skill points withheld because of minimal 4-6 cost on everything as a prerequisite is locking up a good portion of thief's potential for builds. Also remove poison guile from needing a prerequisite in the first place and make double slash's cunning generate chance increase on every hit which doesn't generate it. After that if damage buffs are still needed, they can lessen the haste drain and massively reduce MGP's downtime since the skillpoints would be there to also take that up as well. Not to mention even more can be done afterwards, but as it stands thief has everything there already for the most part but locked behind every build being lower on skillpoints simply due to made prerequisite cost for thief.

I pretty much summed up how prerequisites could easily be fixed freeing up a good chunk of points

http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/41683/simple-fixes-for-thief-for-now

It is definitely not all that needs to be done with thief, however I again would rather them buff thief in a way that doesn't undermine other playstyles primarily. Secondly would not want a buff that could quickly get out of hand(yours did not except maybe that one vicious cuts would thrive off of maybe? Since vicious cuts would infinitely gain 1% more damage per every 1-2 seconds while double slash also feeds into that well). Third be something that doesn't force people out of their way (to get either of those skills you mentioned, one would have to drop quite a bit of skillpoints when we have a lot of skills already which could love skillpoints themselves).
    CosmicChoc
  • CosmicChocCosmicChoc
    edited 2:11AM November 9, 2018
    @EcchiOtakuTM That's a really great idea I thought mine was too OP in some build too, and thanks for the insight Iactually agreed with your sugesstion with the reduce skill points usesage.But I also think that haste use too much spirits if the boss isn't stationary(running around like FD) thief with haste basically have no DPs at all. And poison build also couldn't catch up with other class when this happen too because you need cunning and SA will remove the poison so no dmg if the boss run before you can apply poison. If you get what I mean.
    EcchiOtakuTM
  • CosmicChocCosmicChoc
    First suggestion does nothing but buff vicious cuts which already a well powered skill, we should be trying to help thief in a way that doesn't suddenly destroy other build options completely

2nd is basically Poison Guile.

Thief needs prerequisite skills to be addressed before further buffing it's damage. Having all these extra skill points withheld because of minimal 4-6 cost on everything as a prerequisite is locking up a good portion of thief's potential for builds. Also remove poison guile from needing a prerequisite in the first place and make double slash's cunning generate chance increase on every hit which doesn't generate it. After that if damage buffs are still needed, they can lessen the haste drain and massively reduce MGP's downtime since the skillpoints would be there to also take that up as well. Not to mention even more can be done afterwards, but as it stands thief has everything there already for the most part but locked behind every build being lower on skillpoints simply due to made prerequisite cost for thief.

I pretty much summed up how prerequisites could easily be fixed freeing up a good chunk of points

http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/41683/simple-fixes-for-thief-for-now

It is definitely not all that needs to be done with thief, however I again would rather them buff thief in a way that doesn't undermine other playstyles primarily. Secondly would not want a buff that could quickly get out of hand(yours did not except maybe that one vicious cuts would thrive off of maybe? Since vicious cuts would infinitely gain 1% more damage per every 1-2 seconds while double slash also feeds into that well). Third be something that doesn't force people out of their way (to get either of those skills you mentioned, one would have to drop quite a bit of skillpoints when we have a lot of skills already which could love skillpoints themselves).

@EcchiOtakuTM That's a really great idea I thought mine was too OP in some build too, and thanks for the insight Iactually agreed with your sugesstion with the reduce skill points usesage.But I also think that haste use too much spirits if the boss isn't stationary(running around like FD) thief with haste basically have no DPs at all. And poison build also couldn't catch up with other class when this happen too because you need cunning and SA will remove the poison so no dmg if the boss run before you can apply poison. If you get what I mean.
    EcchiOtakuTM
    edited 5:46AM November 9, 2018
    Yea the haste drain could definitely be removed, it's not like haste buff is that dramatically increasing that we need the sp drain drawback. I mean look at runeblade for example they get if I remember 7% more weapon damage, and a whole consistent 26% elemental buff as a passive not even active, not to mention crit damage by 10 passively up to 30%. The least they could do is reduce the haste drain to 1-3 sp every second instead of 4 sp every half a second. Takes a bit to get use to tbh, I just play with haste macro'd to just not bother having mana from the start which is not a healthy thing to get use to but the only way to adjust to haste. This playstyle does keep me back from some dps to start a fight but after 1-2 seconds it's back to normal.

As for surprise attack personally I wouldn't run it in hindsight. It's far too inconsistent and even at it's peak was not overperforming poison edge/vicious cuts.

Poison edge is the most noob-friendly build because it does comparable damage to vicious cuts(sometimes slightly less), has mobility in the final strike, less complicated, and all you have to do is generate sp with double slash. Poison guile boost it's physical form, 1st hit of EX edge, and double slash, and you have extra free points from not taking surprise attack which if you did could only by luck get near poison edge/vicious cuts numbers. Surprise attack is only good if your main hand weapon is like 2-4 enchants above your off-hand tbh. For the final points I've been messing around with Mesoguard plus and somersault but somersault seems better for the remainder of points.

• WallSeriesWallSeries
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 720
    everyone who wants to deal high DPS is going for that same posion build
    so this isn't about destorying other build options, but rather giving player more options to play around...

edited 12:31AM November 11, 2018
    WallSeries wrote: »
    everyone who wants to deal high DPS is going for that same posion build
    so this isn't about destorying other build options, but rather giving player more options to play around...

Everyone is not doing the same build to reach high dps. There's literally 4 top performing builds currently.
    Just because you only use 1 build doesn't mean everyone else does. But all that suggestion would do is make vicious cuts overperform to the point of lunacy and become the only thing viable to use on top of taking out even more of thief's skillpoints than what's already squeezed out of them in prerequisites.

Thief already has enough damage so far at least. The issue thief has as said in the above linked thread, prerequisites is hampering, cunning generation via double slash is even more rng than crit is, and sp drain limiting skill casting even with the best sp maintenance.

Those primary things gets fixed and thief has a lot more honed/precise builds, which can actually generate cunning a bit more reliably and actually cast skills more often even in situations between combat or vs an invulnerable/accuracy debuff bosses etc.