Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Really Weird Sounding MIDI Files

DoggersDoggers
Maplestory 2 Rep: 230
edited 5:06PM November 7, 2018 in Music
I converted a youtube piano-music video into MP3 (which sounds fine on music players, like iTunes or something) but I want to convert it to MML. I went ahead and converted the MP3 into MIDI from 2 different websites (tried both because the first came out weird) and then I put the MIDI file into 3MLE. I followed some person who unchecked all of the left-hand side boxes when importing the MIDI file, and also made it 1/32 note.
Once I played the file in 3MLE, it sounded like a complete mess. The youtube video was just piano, but for some reason this sounds like there are notes that shouldnt even exist, like someone just threw in randomized 16th notes everywhere, and I heard other instrumentation (like whistles, chimes, a glockenspiel...? etc.). I tried changing things around like muting some of the other tracks (there's 15 for some reason) or checking some of the boxes when importing, but nothing seems to do much.
Can anyone help me figure out how to do this properly? :( I know computers have a hard time taking MP3 into MIDI, but is it seriously this bad?

Comments

• MaloyMaloy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,060
    The sad truth is, MP3 to MIDI is not a tidy process. Dynamics might be seen as separate notes, ambience as a cadence, vocals as drums or just cromatics.

Take for example trying to pitch estimate rap vocals. They borderline and teeter on different tones or rely on the musicality of spoken word.
    DanDK
  • SykoliciousSykolicious
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 640
    MP3 to MIDI is always gonna be a mess. If you like a song, try to google a midi file for it. It if doesn't exist, you might have to make your own or pay someone else to do it. Converting a mp3 or any other actual song file into a midi will 99% of the time sound really messy.
    DanDKMaloy
  • MaloyMaloy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,060
    Converting a mp3 or any other actual song file into a midi will 99% of the time sound really messy.

Sometimes even with MIDI imports there's a decent mess. It's a bumpy road.

I will say I'm glad a music composer exists in this game. I'm sure there's bound to be MIDIs of the songs you're looking for somewhere.
    Worst case commissioning songs from other players seems to be taking off fast.