Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

UGC update 11/8

Comments

• BakaAnikiBakaAniki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,620
    edited 4:57AM November 7, 2018
    Error
  • HosuHosu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,655
    mirta000 wrote: »
    snip

You bring up good points and I agree that they provide more insight that I missed. But this this confirms the unfortunate conclusion I came to within the first week of the UGC market being accessible to me - there are deeper flaws within the UGC system that make it a waste of time until its fixed.

The higher listing fee has absolutely no impact on how well your items sell, because it doesn't affect the consumer at all. They're still going to follow the big memes and anime items, and UGC content rippers are still getting away with robbery. What it DOES impact is your judgment of whether to list your items on the market or not, and for most people, its shifted towards "not". While the changes are unfortunate for diversity and aspiring artists, I hope it gets Nexon to understand and eventually address these issues more seriously.
    mirta000TeakwoodVeremisia
  • TeakwoodTeakwood
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,150
    Hosu wrote: »

You bring up good points and I agree that they provide more insight that I missed. But this this confirms the unfortunate conclusion I came to within the first week of the UGC market being accessible to me - there are deeper flaws within the UGC system that make it a waste of time until its fixed.

The higher listing fee has absolutely no impact on how well your items sell, because it doesn't affect the consumer at all. They're still going to follow the big memes and anime items, and UGC content rippers are still getting away with robbery. What it DOES impact is your judgment of whether to list your items on the market or not, and for most people, its shifted towards "not". While the changes are unfortunate for diversity and aspiring artists, I hope it gets Nexon to understand and eventually address these issues more seriously.

I understand that Nexon wants to protect their UGC Shop, thus why they're increasing the price to listing items to 490 merets, however, I feel like there is a deeper problem with the UGC system in and of itself. You need to pay a fee, not only for posting the item, but also creating the item. This price is even worse than listing because it also makes it hard to create these "High Quality" items the devs are throwing around. MapleStory 2 compresses files very, VERY harshly when designs are uploaded to 3D models, due to the 512x512 jpeg conversion. There are some ways to minimize the impact of this conversion, but you never really know what your item looks like until it has been fully uploaded. Sometimes the compression is barely noticeable. Sometimes it completely destroys a design, leaving you at a complete loss for all the effort put into your creative design. The 490 listing fee can be acceptable, but only if the creating fee was removed. This would allow UGC creators to be able to upload the same item multiple times, and figure out which one would have the best compression, as well as rename items, in the likeliness that you named something badly, and wish to rename it.
    mewberiCarbonCoalHeartdonor
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Teakwood wrote: »
    Hosu wrote: »

I understand that Nexon wants to protect their UGC Shop, thus why they're increasing the price to listing items to 490 merets, however, I feel like there is a deeper problem with the UGC system in and of itself. You need to pay a fee, not only for posting the item, but also creating the item. This price is even worse than listing because it also makes it hard to create these "High Quality" items the devs are throwing around. MapleStory 2 compresses files very, VERY harshly when designs are uploaded to 3D models, due to the 512x512 jpeg conversion. There are some ways to minimize the impact of this conversion, but you never really know what your item looks like until it has been fully uploaded. Sometimes the compression is barely noticeable. Sometimes it completely destroys a design, leaving you at a complete loss for all the effort put into your creative design. The 490 listing fee can be acceptable, but only if the creating fee was removed. This would allow UGC creators to be able to upload the same item multiple times, and figure out which one would have the best compression, as well as rename items, in the likeliness that you named something badly, and wish to rename it.

A test map where we can upload and design client side would be nice
  • idontreallyknowmanidontreallyknowman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,060
    I won't be selling my UGC past today tbh, if anyone wants stuff I've made they can pay me directly for it.
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    The people who sell hundreds of their pop-culture anime reference stuff will be fine. They sell crap tons of their stuff.
    If you want to make money, going to need to think about that investment instead of willy nilly dropping everything you make into purchasable products.

Sales may go up for genuine items since less people will be putting up utter garbage onto the design store.
  • merpellamerpella
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 755
    SHADOW UPDATE TO THE UGC UPDATE: Today, November 7th, Nexon released the scheduled maintenance page with lackluster patch notes that I wish were more detailed. Regardless of that, it seems they significantly reduced the fee from 490 merets flat, to (and I'm quoting here):

"Listing fees will be increasing starting from 190 Merets and going up to 390 Merets with each listing beginning on Nov. 8."

Mind you, as a broke college student, a price above 1 dollar is too steep for me, thus I will have to cross my fingers and hope I strike it big with one of my already made UGC designs before I run out of funds that I've made thus far from the shop, but this is a step in the right direction. I still wish it was a review process or charged you a scaling amount to a maximum of 190 based on the amount you would earn by selling 1 copy of your work (for example 100ish merets for gloves or boots so if you sell at least 1 copy you break even no matter what) instead.
  • DanteYodaDanteYoda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 970
    edited 7:28AM November 8, 2018
    PizzaBear wrote: »
    They're trying to make it harder for people to sell ripoff. With fewer of them, you'll be able to make more meret from your original designs.

It wont work the rip off ppl will still make a fortune all this will do is stop everyone else.. I'm really upset over this as its forced me to stop using the UGC completely.. And if i can't i'm moving on.

No more MS2 for me it seems..

At $10 AU a weapon no way can i afford that... or justify it.