May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

[SOLVED] Moving MS2 installation to a new drive?

MarionniMarionni
MapleStory 2 Rep: 950
edited 8:45AM November 5, 2018 in Tech Support
UPDATE : So this is completely possible, without playing Steam, so straight from the Nexon Launcher.
Step 1 : Create a folder on your new drive to move maple to.
Step 2 : Move the "maplestory2" folder with 2 folders inside (appdata and patchdata) to your new drive
Step 3 : Change the installation directory inside the Nexon Launcher. So that's settings > Game Install/Update > Change folder
Step 4 : Uninstall Maple via the launcher. This will NOT remove all the files you just moved over.
Step 5 : "Download" the game, it will verify the files that are already in the new directory and realize that the game is already there
Step 6 : You can play now

Is it possible to move the MapleStory2 installation to a new drive? I just bought an SSD to run some games off of and was wondering if I could just cut>paste it to the new folder or if I have to re-download the whole thing again. Would be happy to hear from you guys :)

Comments

• DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    Marionni wrote: »
    Is it possible to move the MapleStory2 installation to a new drive? I just bought an SSD to run some games off of and was wondering if I could just cut>paste it to the new folder or if I have to re-download the whole thing again. Would be happy to hear from you guys :)

If it's through steam, you can basically move the game through steam it self, by adding a new steam directory on your preferred drive, through steam>settings>steam library folders and then adding your SSD, which after that you just copy the game files over to the new directory, and once you have done that, just deleting the game from steam and then reinstalling it to your new location. But instead of installing, it'll discover existing files in that folder and then just make those work fine.

Regarding the Nexon launcher, no Idea. I'd imagine you could choose a new install directory, and just move the existing files to the new directory.
    Marionni
  • MarionniMarionni
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 950
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    Marionni wrote: »

If it's through steam, you can basically move the game through steam it self, by adding a new steam directory on your preferred drive, through steam>settings>steam library folders and then adding your SSD, which after that you just copy the game files over to the new directory, and once you have done that, just deleting the game from steam and then reinstalling it to your new location. But instead of installing, it'll discover existing files in that folder and then just make those work fine.

Regarding the Nexon launcher, no Idea. I'd imagine you could choose a new install directory, and just move the existing files to the new directory.

Wait you're right. I can simple change the install directory in the launcher, move the files over and then have the launcher "verify" everything. This should totally work, thanks! Will update tomorrow with results.