Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Someone made over 200k merits ripping off my work

Comments

  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    " Everyone who has opinions and criticisms I disagree with is a troll. "

    read the whole thing you will know i was trying to be civil as possible, by asking people to post it as another topic to discuss or msg me privately, which they didn't. yes, you are trolling if you are not on the topic discussing.
  • Cerulean627Cerulean627
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 9
    Member
    Jesus Mary and Joseph this thread is an eyeful.

    Regarding the 2B dress in specific, I don't remember precisely where I heard this, but I hear that Yoko Taro (Nier Automata's creator and the creator of 2B) actively encouraged fanart of his characters.
  • DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    Posts: 166
    Member
    Jesus Mary and Joseph this thread is an eyeful.

    Regarding the 2B dress in specific, I don't remember precisely where I heard this, but I hear that Yoko Taro (Nier Automata's creator and the creator of 2B) actively encouraged fanart of his characters.

    He does, especially the lewd kind, he once had the community round up every single one of them in a .rar file and send it to him, what a legend!
    Cerulean627
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    Posts: 160
    Member
    Sadly reasons like this is why I dont support the design shop anymore. Cant ever tell whats legit or not and no action is ever done. Would rather it just be gone or be non profit then what it is now. Let people purchase design tokens to wear their own designs.
    Greta
  • RoxxRoxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,105
    Posts: 35
    Member
    edited 1:10AM October 24, 2018
    its pretty simple

    YES u are allowed to use Game/Anime Outfits for cosplaying kinda stuff
    NO u are not allowed to sell them and make ur own profit out of it

    The Guy who stole ur outfits needs to get his stuff removed

    BUT

    U are not allowed to sell these at the market aswell.

    And no this is not just my Opinion, this is a Fact.
    GretaZacharieKim
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Posts: 36
    Member
    Ginsama wrote: »
    If it's about people calling out against the copyrighted material, that isn't harassment. Being aggressive toward him and calling him a thief would be harassment.

    Naw you are fine, I am indeed talking about posts like this, and this isn't the only person guilty of what I'm showing.
    shadowgun wrote: »
    Dochi wrote: »
    Please do not feed the trolls when discussing. Thanks

    better a troll than a thief. Sorry unoriginal artist. Just because you dont like what i have to say doesnt make it a troll.



    To be fair with that one this was after he was constantly calling me a troll just for pointing out issues. So i do not regret saying that (mostly because i think its true) but i can see it as being harassment.
  • ZacharieKimZacharieKim
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 690
    Posts: 15
    Member
    edited 9:20AM October 24, 2018
    Dochi wrote: »
    just fyi, most anime/game companies do not strictly regulate their copyright laws unless artists make a ton of money off them.

    Just because they don't regulate it doesn't make it ok to make profit off of their work. They only come after people who make a ton of money is because they can't go after everyone, not because they're okay with people who make less profit. Yes, Nexon is the one who's making the main profit but you're also earning currency that is related to real money.

    It's all about the ToS and UGC guidelines when it comes to ruling, and you should be punished because you broke the rules (using trademarked name), not because you used someone else's designs. But in my opinion, using others' hard work for your own gain (if the intention was only dressing up as your favorite character, you shouldn't have tried to list it on the market) would still be questionable at best even if it was allowed by the rules. I'm all for inspirations but after checking out the images it seems like you didn't add or change anything to the original.
    Regarding the 2B dress in specific, I don't remember precisely where I heard this, but I hear that Yoko Taro (Nier Automata's creator and the creator of 2B) actively encouraged fanart of his characters.

    Many creators encourage fanart, since they see it as a special gift from the fans, not to mention that it promotes their own work. But I think the issue here is that OP was trying to make a profit off of it, not that the OP has drawn a custom texture of 2B uniform.
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.

    says the one who started off on this post like this. lol
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Posts: 36
    Member
    Dochi wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.

    says the one who started off on this post like this. lol

    Still havnt proven my comment to be wrong, all you did was call me a troll to try and discredit and make people ignore my posts instead of proving your innocence. But this will be my last post on this thread because the moderators don't seem to be happy were it went even though i would argue the two topics belong in the same discussion.
  • PoofcatPoofcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    Posts: 55
    Member
    edited 11:13AM October 24, 2018
    Yall need to read nexons own rules before you keep not only ignoring OPs point but also attacking them over something that isnt against the rules lmao. Until you guys post screenshots of your law degrees I feel like it's probably best to trust Nexon who actually has a lawyer write their terms.
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    shadowgun wrote: »
    Dochi wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.

    says the one who started off on this post like this. lol

    Still havnt proven my comment to be wrong, all you did was call me a troll to try and discredit and make people ignore my posts instead of proving your innocence. But this will be my last post on this thread because the moderators don't seem to be happy were it went even though i would argue the two topics belong in the same discussion.

    i appreciate you upvoting this so it brings awareness. thanks btw
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    Poofcat wrote: »
    Yall need to read nexons own rules before you keep not only ignoring OPs point but also attacking them over something that isnt against the rules lmao. Until you guys post screenshots of your law degrees I feel like it's probably best to trust Nexon who actually has a lawyer write their terms.

    Uhh, you are joking, right? It's not exactly that complicated to read and lookup how copyright works. You don't need to be a lawyer to learn this stuff. In fact, being a content creator you should absolutely learn this stuff because it pertains to you and the protection of your work. Also, do you have any idea how often companies get sued by other companies? If they knew the law so well, how come they manage to keep getting sued? It's simple, they know the law, but they are ok with breaking it as long as they can find a way to do so through a loophole or if they feel they can get away with it by flying under the radar.

    Like, oh, we are not selling your copyrighted work, we are selling templates, and the user decides to put whatever they want on them, we have no control over it. It's a common tactic used by companies. Pretty sure even Youtube has used this excuse before a long time ago.
  • YochyYochy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,015
    Posts: 20
    Member
    edited 5:08PM October 24, 2018
    that is 2b clothes from nier automata 61OVu4bcMHL._UX385_.jpg
    i think if is the same file you can copyright but if is some one else that do the same clothes (2-b from nier automata) and that mean is a diferent file
    you cant do nothing because you are no the creator of the original work (2-b from nier automata) you are only the creator of the file that you submited in maplestory2
  • SyrusMarufujiSyrusMarufuji
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,395
    Posts: 202
    Member
    Ah christ, time to actually look up copyright law regarding clothing design.
    Currently, fashion designs are not protectable under the U.S. Copyright Act. However, even though designs themselves are not protectable because they are considered functional items, certain aspects are protectable, such as original prints, patterns, unique color arrangements and novel combinations of elements used on a design.

    Protection for these certain aspects of a design can be obtained "only if, and only to the extent that, such design incorporates pictorial, graphic, or sculptural features that can be identified separately from, and are capable of existing independently of, the utilitarian aspects of the article," according to the act.

    The test for separability can be met by showing either physical or conceptual separability, where a clear line must be drawn between "copyrightable works of applied art and uncopyrighted works of industrial design." As a result, copyright law will protect the design of the article of clothing but not the article of clothing.

    Global copyright
    Copyright is a creation of law in each country, and therefore there is no such thing as an international copyright law.

    US relationship copyright treaties with Japan
    Japan
    23 · Berne (Paris) July 15, 1899; Bilateral
    May 10, 1906; UCC Geneva Apr. 28, 1956; UCC
    Paris Oct. 21, 1977; Phonograms Oct. 14, 1978;
    WTO Jan. 1, 1995; WCT Mar. 6, 2002; WPPT
    Oct. 9, 2002

    What the heck is Berne
    http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/summary_berne.html

    Especially important being:
    [The author has] the right to make reproductions in any manner or form (with the possibility that a Contracting State may permit, in certain special cases, reproduction without authorization, provided that the reproduction does not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and does not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the author; and the possibility that a Contracting State may provide, in the case of sound recordings of musical works, for a right to equitable remuneration),
    DochizlOwOlz
  • SyrusMarufujiSyrusMarufuji
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,395
    Posts: 202
    Member
    TL;DR, You can take designs from real life, anime, cartoons, video games, as long as you translate them in your own personal way and do not use trademarked language to describe or refer to them officially, and you can copyright it. Why?

    1. Drawing something from scratch is 90% of the time going to be transformative in nature, especially when working on a 512 x 512 texture because theres no way you can pixel perfect all the details.

    2. The creation of an outfit template does not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work. In layman's terms, You are not making something that can directly compete with the profit of the original inspiration of said outfit template. In this case, a 2b outfit on Maplestory 2, does not compete with the income of the creator of Nier Automata.

    HOWEVER, I must clarify a few things.

    1. Taking designs from the internet and stretching them to fit the template is not transformative. No, not even an overlay layer, adding shading and lighting, or putting on a mustache is significantly transformative to constitute fair use. lawspace.stmarytx.edu/item/Gorman.pdf To take a few excerpts from this massive document, (fair use explanation starts at page 302) see the following.
    Determining whether a work
    qualifies as fair use hinges upon the consideration of four
    factors.81 These four factors include:
    (1) [T]he purpose and character of the use, including whether such
    use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational
    purposes;
    (2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
    (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to
    the copyright work as a whole; and
    (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
    copyrighted work.
    ---
    The use of a copyrighted work will not generally be considered
    reasonable if the work “extensively copies or paraphrases the
    original or bodily appropriates the research upon which the original was based.
    ---
    A transformative work does not
    merely imitate the original creation; instead, the work must
    portray the creation in a different character, or add something new
    to further the author’s purpose all while injecting the first work
    “with new expression, meaning, or message

    2. Taking a template from someone or "ripping" directly conflicts with the exploitation of the original creators work. I.e. Taking something thats in the game and reposting it is directly impacting them.
    DochiPoofcatIritokizlOwOlz
  • HerveHerve
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    Posts: 4
    Member
    So frustrating
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    Posts: 160
    Member
    You guys are reading to far into this.

  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Posts: 172
    Member
    someone just uploaded that design on oceania.
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    someone just uploaded that design on oceania.

    kill me
    DanteYoda
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Posts: 172
    Member
    Dochi wrote: »

    kill me
    That may be against the law ;). But what i did do was report the item, and i put a link to this thread in the report, urging anyone looking at the report to act urgently.