Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Someone made over 200k merits ripping off my work

Comments

  • DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    Posts: 166
    Member
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    I like to point out quickly, that copyright is decided on a Case by Case system in court, there is no definitive answer on whether or not derivative or re-created works counts as copyright. Hence why people can legally sell artworks they have created of characters from shows or other medium, because as it shares resemblance the drawing is not officially owned by the person who holds copyright over the character. This gets fought out normally over court, but as that is expensive it tends to get settled normally outside of it.

    EDIT:

    What Dochi has created falls under derivative work and is allowed to be sold, but if you want to be even more legally "grey" make sure to not name it anything related to Nier.
    Poofcat wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.

    Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases.

    Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.

    Great cats think alike right?
  • AVioletGamer8AVioletGamer8
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited 10:14AM October 23, 2018
    Poofcat wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

    I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights

    Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself, don't use logos, and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases. Their own example is literally a BNHA uniform, they just don't call it that.

    @shadowgun in particular, because you chose to make a blatant accusation: Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.

    Most people have been using logos, designs, screenshots and names ripped off of animes/other content in their designs instead of making their own version.

    So once again, the point is mute if most people have been taking and advertising ripped off content.
  • DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    Posts: 166
    Member
    edited 10:17AM October 23, 2018
    Poofcat wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

    I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights

    Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself, don't use logos, and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases. Their own example is literally a BNHA uniform, they just don't call it that.

    @shadowgun in particular, because you chose to make a blatant accusation: Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.

    Most people have been using logos, designs, screenshots and names ripped off of animes/other content in their designs instead of making their own version.

    So once again, the point is mute if most people have been taking and advertising ripped off content.

    Except this was originally about Doshi, as that is why this whole topic even popped up, what he has done is legally allowed, he used images of 2B's Costume to draw a outfit that looks like it.
    CarbonCoal
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Posts: 36
    Member
    Poofcat wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

    I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights

    Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself, don't use logos, and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases. Their own example is literally a BNHA uniform, they just don't call it that.

    @shadowgun in particular, because you chose to make a blatant accusation: Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.

    So what your claiming is Nexon has discovered a way to steal other games designs and profit off it as long as they let the players draw it? sorry not buying that bs. And to top it off its labled 2b in the picture provided so even if those rules are ok in the gaming industry he still broke them. Also notice how some people are saying they wont draw Disney stuff because they know Disney will do something about it. That means it is still a copyright issue even if other companies dont mind as much (which i think they would mind more know Nexon is benefiting from it). And as i stated using copyrighted material is no better than stealing somebody else template. Its fine to get inspiration from others work but make it your own original design in the end. Dont just redraw what you see, change it up.
    Greta
  • ZarozianZarozian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
    Posts: 421
    Member
    Xphobia wrote: »
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Hi I am Zaro! I am here to make friends! ;D

    Didn't get enough attention the first time? Well here, you've been acknowledged by me.

    Now shut the fck up & silently watch the anime nerds fight like a normal person.

    All I wanted was just some new friends. ;(
  • AVioletGamer8AVioletGamer8
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited 11:14AM October 23, 2018
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    Poofcat wrote: »
    shadowgun wrote: »
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

    I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights

    Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself, don't use logos, and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases. Their own example is literally a BNHA uniform, they just don't call it that.

    @shadowgun in particular, because you chose to make a blatant accusation: Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.

    Most people have been using logos, designs, screenshots and names ripped off of animes/other content in their designs instead of making their own version.

    So once again, the point is mute if most people have been taking and advertising ripped off content.

    Except this was originally about Doshi, as that is why this whole topic even popped up, what he has done is legally allowed, he used images of 2B's Costume to draw a outfit that looks like it.

    IF the rules for USC followed fair-use. However Nexon has a liability due to the TOS stating they own each design people sell. To keep them from someone, say Disney, from wanting to shut the game down they have to crack down on copyrights of people ripping out the content from other things. Even if the person has "proof" of drawing this it looks to be too close to the original content. Add the fact it is named 2b and that would flag both accounts for violation.
    IdeghalliaArkives
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    okay. im submitting a formal request to forum mods or so vice versa to KEEP ON TOPIC.
    THE TOPIC IS ABOUT OTHER PLAYERS RIPPING OFF WORK FROM OTHER IN GAME PLAYERS.

    IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT COMPANY COPYRIGHT DO IT, JUST MAKE YOUR OWN POST.

    IM SICK OF TARDS TROLLING IN MY POST I WROTE TO RAISE AWARENESS ON PLAYER THEFT, NOT ON COPYRIGHT IF IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED OR NOT.

    JozarAieBeariie
  • AVioletGamer8AVioletGamer8
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Posts: 10
    Member
    Dochi wrote: »
    okay. im submitting a formal request to forum mods or so vice versa to KEEP ON TOPIC.
    THE TOPIC IS ABOUT OTHER PLAYERS RIPPING OFF WORK FROM OTHER IN GAME PLAYERS.

    IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT COMPANY COPYRIGHT DO IT, JUST MAKE YOUR OWN POST.

    IM SICK OF TARDS TROLLING IN MY POST I WROTE TO RAISE AWARENESS ON PLAYER THEFT, NOT ON COPYRIGHT IF IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED OR NOT.

    Hard for it to be player theft if you stole the idea from a game.

    Also, name calling is against the rules.
    SproutiArkivesZacharieKim
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited 1:07PM October 23, 2018
    Please, do not feed the trolls. thanks
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Posts: 73
    Member
    shadowgun wrote: »
    Dochi wrote: »
    just fyi, most anime/game companies do not strictly regulate their copyright laws unless artists make a ton of money off them. That being said, yes, we do know that sometimes we do get things taken down or asked by the company to take certain images and copyrights down. If you were drawing for a while, you will aslo know that, we know boundaries we should never cross and which companies are more OK with crossing boundaries. For instance, if you draw spiderman or ironman stuff by marvel, you better keep it to yourself, because company will sue you personally. On other hand, some companies don't care much about them at all. In fact, most posters & Arts that you can find online right now on animes/games are not by the game company or licensed by them at all, but artists just using them. They do not get punished for this as long as they do this within reason. Anyone who went to anime or game conventions and bought stuff will know what I mean

    But are you sure you arnt crossing the line by taking another video games design and putting it into this video game where Nexon will make money off it. Gaming companies know not to steal other games designs. Why is it justified just because a player drew it and not Nexon. And again this does not relate to cosplay or any other real life thing because this is a video game. So to sum up the way I see it is video game artists know not to use other games designs so you should no not to as well.

    Oh and the reason those conventions allow it is because 1. alot more of it than you think was approved by the company and 2. in regards to cosplay and fan art they know their fans enjoy it and they dont see the harm of it since its for fun. Plus telling your fans they cant do fan art or cosplay would probably upset them. But this again is a video game not real life.

    How does Second life stay open? I'll wait.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    I like to point out quickly, that copyright is decided on a Case by Case system in court, there is no definitive answer on whether or not derivative or re-created works counts as copyright. Hence why people can legally sell artworks they have created of characters from shows or other medium, because as it shares resemblance the drawing is not officially owned by the person who holds copyright over the character. This gets fought out normally over court, but as that is expensive it tends to get settled normally outside of it.

    EDIT:

    What Dochi has created falls under derivative work and is allowed to be sold, but if you want to be even more legally "grey" make sure to not name it anything related to Nier.

    This is actually not true, what you are thinking of is fair use. Whether or not something is fair use, is decided in court. Whether or not something is copyrighted is just something that happens automatically when you create the work. For example, if I draw an original character, at the moment I draw it I own the right to it. So if someone draws my character and sells prints or merch of my character, that is against copyright. Obviously, you would still have to go to court to sue, but what they determined there is whether or not the accused is actually in violation of the copyright, which they would be in this case unless it's transformative. It takes a lot to consider something transformative just to be clear.

    Copying a design from one game to another isn't transformative. If it went to court you would lose, I can't even think of a valid argument anyone could use that it isn't against copyright.
    Ginsama wrote: »
    How does Second life stay open? I'll wait.
    I have to assume any items being sold in second life cannot be copyrighted stuff, but they probably don't go after people who do go against this rule because it probably is too much work and a hassle. I imagine the only time they take something down is if they were to get a complaint from a company.

    And the reason why companies probably don't go after games like second life is probably that it's not worth the cost. Regardless, it's still against copyright, I mean that is literally the whole reason copyright exists. So if you decide to take action you can, but you don't have to.

    Umm just to give an example, if a game company decided they don't want any of their game outfits in UGC of another game, they are well wthin their right to file a DMCA with the game company asking them to take it down. And by law, they would have to take it down. It's not whether or not it's against copyright ... it is. It's whether or not companies care.

    Anyway, I think this thread should be closed anyway because it's not like it's going to go anywhere else from here. It's the only reason why everyone is talking about copyright is that it's the only thing people have to talk about. Everything that can be said has been said about rippers.
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Posts: 73
    Member
    Dochi wrote: »
    Please, do not feed the trolls. thanks

    Dochi, I'll tell you why this is happening, and you aren't gonna like it.

    As long as you yourself call this texture theft, people think they have ammunition against you to call /you/ a thief.

    What people have been trying to get people to understand is that you /are allowed/ to have your item and that the people stealing from under you are the ones in the wrong

    People want to deny the existence of your items, hard work, and dedication because they don't feel you should be allowed to create those items and make Merets off them.

    The debate was supposed to have been cut off with the Mod Post on this topic, but people keep calling you a thief and people keep keep coming to your defense.

    If anything needs to happen, an official stance from the Mods or community managers needs to be taken against harassment of creators , because that is what this topic is. Harassment. Against you. All we want is to see a line drawn in the sand people to get off your back.
  • PizzaaPizzaa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,050
    Posts: 74
    Forum Moderator
    I'm sorry to say, but this discussion is getting way too much off hand, if you can't actually behave I will have to lock this thread.
    SproutiAie
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Posts: 73
    Member
    Pizzaaa wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, but this discussion is getting way too much off hand, if you can't actually behave I will have to lock this thread.

    Can you speak against the harassment Dochi is experiencing in this thread? Please?
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    Ginsama wrote: »
    Pizzaaa wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, but this discussion is getting way too much off hand, if you can't actually behave I will have to lock this thread.

    Can you speak against the harassment Dochi is experiencing in this thread? Please?

    If it's about people calling out against the copyrighted material, that isn't harassment. Being aggressive toward him and calling him a thief would be harassment. With that said, I do think some of the posts could absolutely be called out as harassment, but on both sides. But if you consider any of my posts for example, as harassment, it really isn't.

    But anyway, I am going to create another topic so we can move on from this thread and not be called trolls constantly, and then let this thread die out like it should.
    IdeghalliaGretabwah
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Posts: 172
    Member
    " Everyone who has opinions and criticisms I disagree with is a troll. "
    MarchinBunnyIdeghalliaAVioletGamer8ArkivesGretabwah
  • IdeghalliaIdeghallia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    Posts: 56
    Member
    I'm very sorry that this is happening to you as well as many other designers. I've no doubt in my mind that you've worked very hard on your designs in terms of quality and I can only imagine your frustration. Hopefully Nexon will crack down on this soon, especially with how many people it's effecting.

    With that said, I have to agree with some people on this thread who have criticized you for putting up for sale a creation that isn't entirely your own. You say that this isn't related to the topic, but truthfully, if you look at the bigger picture, it is. As an artist and designer myself, I would not feel right taking an outfit that was not of my own creation and putting it up for sale and gaining something for it, it's just not right. Unfortunately, many people do this even though the policy window that pops up from maple-workshop tells you straight up what's okay and what isn't, even bluntly saying "make your OWN creation". You're calling people trolls for bringing up a very valid point and I think it's mostly because you're upset, which is understandable, but you have to try and understand where other people are coming from because some people see you as a bit of a thief too.

    Now if this was just fan-art or you weren't gaining anything from it, it'd be no big deal, but because you are earning something from it, a currency that costs real money to obtain, you are getting criticized for it and rightly so. You are clearly skilled, talented, and very hard-working and I bet you can make some really awesome original designs which I hope you do in the future.

    All in all, I hope this gets resolved for you and the other designers this has effected, it is a really severe problem.
    Dochi
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Posts: 73
    Member
    If it's about people calling out against the copyrighted material, that isn't harassment. Being aggressive toward him and calling him a thief would be harassment.

    Naw you are fine, I am indeed talking about posts like this, and this isn't the only person guilty of what I'm showing.
    shadowgun wrote: »
    Dochi wrote: »
    Please do not feed the trolls when discussing. Thanks

    better a troll than a thief. Sorry unoriginal artist. Just because you dont like what i have to say doesnt make it a troll.



  • BluclueBluclue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,190
    Posts: 434
    Member
    edited 2:56PM October 23, 2018
    Its not just dochi's work that is getting ripped off. If you guys wanna scrutinise every single detail, we can use lutias original rune outfit that is got ripped and is currently being sold on NA West instead. The real question is, why hijack this thread to talk about copyright? In my adventures of smoking rippers out I have seen this similar pattern of attempting to use copyright issues to divert attention waay too often. Etc: Me with basically all the proof in the world: You are selling rips aren't you ~ Every other ripper: I won't comment but have you seen all the akatsuki outfits out there maybe you should divert your attention there i mean there's so ooo many copyright violations and they are so oo easy to find.

    If you guys want a thread on copyright make one. Don't hijack dochi's thread.
  • EekvolemEekvolem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730
    Posts: 8
    Member
    If the OP had lifted the exact dress and stole the model from the game, then yes. It would be theft. However, recreating a dress from the ground up is not copyright theft. The only thing that actually would be against the rules is calling it 2B Outfit, but it looks like it wasn't uploaded with that title / description onto the actual market from what I can tell. It would be nice if people claiming it's against the UGC rules could look at the Official UGC Guidelines post first! For simplicity, I'll include the second example (the training uniform from MHA).
    Outfit: Training Sweatshirt and Training Sweatpants
    Description: A training uniform fit for a hero.
    2XwI62H.png

    Back to the actual topic: UGC theft and practically everything on the shop being against the rules is a huge issue. Why doesn't Nexon hire even a few dedicated employees to moderate the shop on each server? I understand the idea of, "It's a waste of money," but it's really not. This is like saying, "Moderation is a waste of money." There's honestly quite a few solutions to solve this. Give people who already moderate in-game the ability to moderate the shop, hire more people (not paying as much obviously as devs, but this could go into too much legal territory), etc. The way it is now simply discourages users to even spend money on the shop, and to spend money to create original content.
    CarbonCoalJozar