Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

Someone made over 200k merits ripping off my work

Comments

• DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Pretty sure most of the designs on the oceania server is stolen from other creators as well. It sickens me knowing that there are so many cockroaches profiting off of other peoples hard work and original content.
    Specks
  • AlilatiasAlilatias
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 965
    edited 1:04AM October 23, 2018
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    Hence why perhaps a new voluntary force can be created to do just that, monitor the UGC shop and have them report directly to staff and temporarily take down questionable items and ones that get reported as stolen. This off loads the need for In-game mods to monitor the shop and they'd only have to review that what they receive and then decide a course of action on that.

It's clear that people want this problem to stop, why not have them be actively part of that process?

While I already said my piece on the issue at large on the first page of this thread, I do want to respond to this as well.

As a former Nexon volunteer for Dragon Nest (forum moderator/'informant' keeping track of the various differences between other versions of that game to determine if things were working as intended for NA), being a 'volunteer' really isn't as simple as you think. On paper, merely 'monitoring the UGC shop' may quickly spiral into taking on other responsibilities. Some of the things I did before were, in hindsight, things I should have had no business touching. And that's not even going into the social aspect involving interactions with other players thereafter.

I would elaborate, but I don't know what NDA's I'd be breaking even two years after the fact, and I wouldn't want to cause any trouble for the former Nexon Dragon Nest NA staff that may have moved on to managing MapleStory 2. (Assuming there are any - if there are, they are wise to take on new identities here and hide their previous involvement with other Nexon games, because Maple 2 can do without any personal baggage from other communities.)

Anyone that wants to take on this responsibility has to do it purely for the sake of the community, and not at all for themselves.
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    edited 4:22AM October 23, 2018
    Pretty sure most of the designs on the oceania server is stolen from other creators as well. It sickens me knowing that there are so many cockroaches profiting off of other peoples hard work and original content.

Adding on to this, I really want nexon to tell us what is policy against people who do these. What kind of punishment do they get? I expect nothing then a permaban for people who steal other people's work. If you just take them down from the Merit store they will do it again and again for sure.
  • ZacharieKimZacharieKim
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 690
    edited 4:25AM October 23, 2018
    The art thief who stole your UGC should definitely be punished, this kind of behavior should not be allowed.

However, I think you should be punished as well because you used a name that identifies it as a specific character. That's against ToS, and you should not have created UGC against their rules.

https://imgur.com/a/c8X49Qq

The game tells you not to do it on the popup. I understand that this might be easy to overlook but please read the ToS next time.
  • GinsamaGinsama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    shadowgun wrote: »
    If it was referring to me then i can show you i dont have anything being sold on UGC and never have. Its as MarchinBunny said the OP is complaining somebody ripped off his work when he in turn ripped off his work from Platinum games. This only helps discredit the claims from real artists that make their own original designs on UGC who actually had their original ideas stolen in my opinion.

Except your opinion on whether or not he stole or ripped it off doesn't matter. It's up to a court to decide the exact line and limit. It isn't your decision. It's not a function of your feelings or your own definition of stealing. Hell, it aint even the precedents set by previous court cases because the case itself is looked at in context. Precedents only serve to strengthen a position.

When you ask a court to arbitrate in a copyright dispute, you are asking them to decide the future of the media in question. The key determination in a copyright case is whether or not the work in question replaces demand for the original work and FAN CREATION is typically ruled to /not/ be a replacement for the original.

The reason why it is so costly to go after copyright is a deterrent against having a court case at all. The law would rather you collaborate and settle the matter without their intervention, for the sake of a free and open market. The DMCA is a tool for companies to do so as such, as often abused as it is.

I guess what I mean to say is.....

stay salty. Become a copyright judge if it bothers you that other people are drawing other peoples stuff on the internet.
  • ZarozianZarozian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
    Hi I am here to make some new friends.
    GretaMushroomMurderAVioletGamer8
  • GinsamaGinsama
    Dochi wrote: »
    please keep the topic on point and stop feeding the trolls, I value feedback on the TOPIC I raised and anything else if you have questions or concerns I will address then personally with you if you need to. Otherwise you are either just blabbering about different thing in a wrong place or intentionally just trying to get my post locked so I cannot raise awareness.
    p.s. I keep asking people, do not feed the troll. Thanks.

I did want to ask, is there an official channel for your content on US West?
  • DochiDochi
    Ginsama wrote: »
    please keep the topic on point and stop feeding the trolls, I value feedback on the TOPIC I raised and anything else if you have questions or concerns I will address then personally with you if you need to. Otherwise you are either just blabbering about different thing in a wrong place or intentionally just trying to get my post locked so I cannot raise awareness.

Nope. I heard one got taken down recently regarding 2B cosplay. Didn't even know they had it there.
  • DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    edited 5:14AM October 23, 2018
    Alilatias wrote: »
    Digitalcat wrote: »
    Hence why perhaps a new voluntary force can be created to do just that, monitor the UGC shop and have them report directly to staff and temporarily take down questionable items and ones that get reported as stolen. This off loads the need for In-game mods to monitor the shop and they'd only have to review that what they receive and then decide a course of action on that.

It's clear that people want this problem to stop, why not have them be actively part of that process?

While I already said my piece on the issue at large on the first page of this thread, I do want to respond to this as well.

As a former Nexon volunteer for Dragon Nest (forum moderator/'informant' keeping track of the various differences between other versions of that game to determine if things were working as intended for NA), being a 'volunteer' really isn't as simple as you think. On paper, merely 'monitoring the UGC shop' may quickly spiral into taking on other responsibilities. Some of the things I did before were, in hindsight, things I should have had no business touching. And that's not even going into the social aspect involving interactions with other players thereafter.

I would elaborate, but I don't know what NDA's I'd be breaking even two years after the fact, and I wouldn't want to cause any trouble for the former Nexon Dragon Nest NA staff that may have moved on to managing MapleStory 2. (Assuming there are any - if there are, they are wise to take on new identities here and hide their previous involvement with other Nexon games, because Maple 2 can do without any personal baggage from other communities.)

Anyone that wants to take on this responsibility has to do it purely for the sake of the community, and not at all for themselves.

I know where you are coming from lad, I used to be a Game Moderator/Forum Moderator for Game Forge, if there were to be a voluntary team, it'd be monitored, I'd imagine you were getting monitored as well during your whole time as Forum Moderator, it's up to those who look after the new team what responsibilities they'll receive and how they deal with those.
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    If it was referring to me then i can show you i dont have anything being sold on UGC and never have. Its as MarchinBunny said the OP is complaining somebody ripped off his work when he in turn ripped off his work from Platinum games. This only helps discredit the claims from real artists that make their own original designs on UGC who actually had their original ideas stolen in my opinion.

Except your opinion on whether or not he stole or ripped it off doesn't matter. It's up to a court to decide the exact line and limit. It isn't your decision. It's not a function of your feelings or your own definition of stealing. Hell, it aint even the precedents set by previous court cases because the case itself is looked at in context. Precedents only serve to strengthen a position.

When you ask a court to arbitrate in a copyright dispute, you are asking them to decide the future of the media in question. The key determination in a copyright case is whether or not the work in question replaces demand for the original work and FAN CREATION is typically ruled to /not/ be a replacement for the original.

The reason why it is so costly to go after copyright is a deterrent against having a court case at all. The law would rather you collaborate and settle the matter without their intervention, for the sake of a free and open market. The DMCA is a tool for companies to do so as such, as often abused as it is.

I guess what I mean to say is.....

stay salty. Become a copyright judge if it bothers you that other people are drawing other peoples stuff on the internet.

By your logic then it is ok for all these people to rip off other players templates. Its not protected just the same as other artists that dont play this games work is not protected. And people keep pointing to the UGC ToS which clearly states copyrighted material is not allowed just as much as stealing others templates is not allowed. Again you cant be against one without the other otherwise your just a hypocrite .
    MarchinBunny
  • GinsamaGinsama

Nope. I heard one got taken down recently regarding 2B cosplay. Didn't even know they had it there.

it was named 2b cosplay but was otherwise a top seller.

• AVioletGamer8AVioletGamer8
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    MarchinBunnybwah
  • Blackmoth27Blackmoth27
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights
    AVioletGamer8GretaMarchinBunny
  • ZarozianZarozian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
    Hi I am Zaro! I am here to make friends! ;D
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Hi I am Zaro! I am here to make friends! ;D

Didn't get enough attention the first time? Well here, you've been acknowledged by me.

Now shut the fck up & silently watch the anime nerds fight like a normal person.
    Veremisia
  • DochiDochi
    just fyi, most anime/game companies do not strictly regulate their copyright laws unless artists make a ton of money off them. That being said, yes, we do know that sometimes we do get things taken down or asked by the company to take certain images and copyrights down. If you were drawing for a while, you will aslo know that, we know boundaries we should never cross and which companies are more OK with crossing boundaries. For instance, if you draw spiderman or ironman stuff by marvel, you better keep it to yourself, because company will sue you personally. On other hand, some companies don't care much about them at all. In fact, most posters & Arts that you can find online right now on animes/games are not by the game company or licensed by them at all, but artists just using them. They do not get punished for this as long as they do this within reason. Anyone who went to anime or game conventions and bought stuff will know what I mean
  • AVioletGamer8AVioletGamer8
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    just fyi, most anime/game companies do not strictly regulate their copyright laws unless artists make a ton of money off them. That being said, yes, we do know that sometimes we do get things taken down or asked by the company to take certain images and copyrights down. If you were drawing for a while, you will aslo know that, we know boundaries we should never cross and which companies are more OK with crossing boundaries. For instance, if you draw spiderman or ironman stuff by marvel, you better keep it to yourself, because company will sue you personally. On other hand, some companies don't care much about them at all. In fact, most posters & Arts that you can find online right now on animes/games are not by the game company or licensed by them at all, but artists just using them. They do not get punished for this as long as they do this within reason. Anyone who went to anime or game conventions and bought stuff will know what I mean

It says in the UCG no copyrighted material can be used when designing something. So this point is mute since every anime out there has a legal enforceable copyright.

• DigitalcatDigitalcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    edited 10:04AM October 23, 2018
    I like to point out quickly, that copyright is decided on a Case by Case system in court, there is no definitive answer on whether or not derivative or re-created works counts as copyright. Hence why people can legally sell artworks they have created of characters from shows or other medium, because as it shares resemblance the drawing is not officially owned by the person who holds copyright over the character. This gets fought out normally over court, but as that is expensive it tends to get settled normally outside of it.

EDIT:

What Dochi has created falls under derivative work and is allowed to be sold, but if you want to be even more legally "grey" make sure to not name it anything related to Nier.
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085

But are you sure you arnt crossing the line by taking another video games design and putting it into this video game where Nexon will make money off it. Gaming companies know not to steal other games designs. Why is it justified just because a player drew it and not Nexon. And again this does not relate to cosplay or any other real life thing because this is a video game. So to sum up the way I see it is video game artists know not to use other games designs so you should no not to as well.

Oh and the reason those conventions allow it is because 1. alot more of it than you think was approved by the company and 2. in regards to cosplay and fan art they know their fans enjoy it and they dont see the harm of it since its for fun. Plus telling your fans they cant do fan art or cosplay would probably upset them. But this again is a video game not real life.
  • PoofcatPoofcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    edited 10:08AM October 23, 2018
    The real original is 2Bs outfit in Nier Automata so dont go acting like this is your original work. Your a thief just as much as they are.
    it is also a copyright violation for posting anything with a legal copyright.

I hate to be that person but if I made a design off of, say, pokemon it doesn't mean I own it and risk a violation.
    isn't the tos say no copyrighted content? using 2b outfit is probably bad. since it's likely protected by copyrights

Hi, here to inform you on this set of guidelines Written By Nexon Themselves that directly permits anime, tv, etc. items as long as you draw it yourself, don't use logos, and do not title it with any copyrighted phrases. Their own example is literally a BNHA uniform, they just don't call it that.

@shadowgun in particular, because you chose to make a blatant accusation: Be educated on what you're talking about before you throw insults at people.