Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[Lv.60 Guide] Bear's Fire Energy High DPS Build

ChillBearChillBear
Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,165
edited 1:40AM in Heavy Gunner
Changes:
19/10/2018 - Added an FAQ section added with perhaps the most common concerns.
18/10/2018 - A section about animation cancelling added.
16/10/2018 - Level 60 v2.0 - M-Bomb removed and suborbital bombardment back in. Reason because Level 1 M-bomb has no use. Satellite helps proc weapon effects.
11/10/2018 - Level 60 update - More skill points available.

Preface:
This guide is a short summary of my skill build for PVE and the reasoning behind it. While there are other builds out there this is the best flexible damaging rotation I have come up with (with substantial help from Dhaox - EU) and use in my play. I won't put myself on the same level of qualification as those who have played Korean MS2 for years but I have mained HG in CBT 1, 2 and now release. I have also spent many hours DPS testing all the various builds over short periods of time (10 seconds) up to longer periods (2 minutes) in controlled situations against test dummies.

Skills:
Electric Blast + Blast Charge Kit - Our primary DPS
Magnetic Bomb - Decent DPS over 3 seconds
Rocket Launcher - High DPS over 10 seconds
Homing Missiles - Mediocre burst DPS
Suborbital Bombardment - Decent DPS over 10 seconds

Rotation:
Part 1: Suborbital Bombardment (30 seconds) - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Part 2: Electric Blast x1 - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Part 3: Electric Blast x1 - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Repeat

Skill Points:
MpQohjK.png

Rationale:
HG has many skills that can be quite daunting at first to select; some do damage over time while others burst. With the level 60 update skill builds have changed dramatically. Where previously Bullet Spray was an optimal line to go with, it has now been relegated to the side due to the higher efficiency of other skills around the tree. Electric Blast has gained a lot of power in the 60 patch and will now form our main DPS in its rapid fire form of Blast Charge Kit. Every other form of DPS is supplementary ontop of our main damage dealer. What is the most effective: Burst? Damage over time? Electric? Fire? Fire abilities only synergize with themselves. Electric has some cross synergy in the tree. With this new patch we have the ability to spend our skill points more efficiently across the board. Advanced bullets are no longer part of the build due to high cost and unused points kept in Gatling Fire. This new iteration has synergy throughout maximizing the entire electric column, placing points most efficiently in the fire column, keeping a low level but decent DPS satellite and maintaining a very healthy sized medkit.

Skill points were placed in the fire column amongst the most impactful skills. This build takes advantage of being able to attack against single and multiple enemies. Where a priest is available, points may be reallocated from medkit into the fire line or suborbital bombardment to deal higher DPS and with a priests SP buff, reloads will be much less frequent.

Closing Thoughts:
With the advent of the level 60 patch, skill builds have opened up albeit bringing a level of complexity with it. Gone are the days of the '2 skill' punch and in comes a level of multi-tasking abilities. Having tested all the various builds and skill allocations extensively, I can confidently say this has been the best build I have used.

How to DPS test
In the guild hall there are three test dummies. Stand roughly where I am in the picture to hit the closest dummy. Turn on the performance meter in the options.
hIdDGZs.jpg

Animation Cancelling
Skills that allow stutter stepping will enable animation cancelling and users should see a 5-10% DPS increase. In order for this to happen skills must be activated through the ingame macro or software which repeatedly taps the skill. For keyboard users this means going into Macro settings and activating Electric Blast and Reload on a single hotkey.
n8vvCqQ.png

For gamepad with the ability to do so, you may remap your hotkey to a button on the controller or even better, activating a rapid button press feature like Turbo on reWASD.
FCp0xed.png

Frequently asked questions:
Question: X Build has slightly higher DPS, why not use that one?
Answer: There are some variations of builds that may push out 1-3% more DPS than this one however, my intention is not to pull out the max possible DPS but provide a well rounded build that pushes the limits of DPS. What I try to achieve here is mixing in high DPS, a good sized medkit and abilities to help us activate epic weapon effects more frequently. In the end, mix a few points around to your suitability. Some may take points out of medkit or divert points from satellite into M-Bomb or the rest of the fire column; in the end you're talking about a few very small percentages that take benefits away from else where.

Question: How do I animation cancel on a gamepad?
Answer: Check out my guide for gamepads here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/comment/118019#Comment_118019

Question: How effective is Bullet Spray with Electric Blast now?
Answer: It is effective, but its two steps behind an Electric Blast main build. Its DPS is just shy of Electric Blast build by a few percent but more importantly it lacks damage potential against multiple targets. The one benefit though is it 'feels' more stable hitting enemies non stop than the bursts in an EB build.

Outdated level 60 cap:
Skills:
Electric Blast + Blast Charge Kit - Our primary DPS
Magnetic Bomb - High DPS over 3 seconds
Rocket Launcher - High DPS over 10 seconds
Homing Missiles - Mediocre burst DPS
M-bomb - High burst DPS, high cooldown
Rotation:
Part 1: M-Bomb (30 sec) - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Part 2: Electric Blast x1 - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Part 3: Electric Blast x1 - Rocket Launcher (12 sec) - Homing Missiles (10 sec) - Magnetic Bomb (10 sec) - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3 - Electric Blast x3
Repeat
Skill Points:
pOUh2kP.png
Rationale:
HG has many skills that can be quite daunting at first to select; some do damage over time while others burst. With the level 60 update skill builds have changed dramatically. Where previously Bullet Spray was an optimal line to go with, it has now been relegated to the side due to the higher efficiency of other skills around the tree. Electric Blast has gained a lot of power in the 60 patch and will now form our main DPS in its rapid fire form of Blast Charge Kit. Every other form of DPS is supplementary ontop of our main damage dealer. What is the most effective: Burst? Damage over time? Electric? Fire? Fire abilities only synergize with themselves. Electric has some cross synergy in the tree. With this new patch we really can push a 'bang for our buck' scenario by leaving almost no skill point wasted on the side. Satellite is no longer used due to its high point cost and more importantly, the four skill points gone unused for stun grenades preceding it are now available. Advanced bullets are no longer part of the build due to high cost and unused points kept in Gatling Fire. This new iteration has synergy throughout, maximizing the entire electric column, placing points most efficiently in the fire column and keeping a very healthy sized medkit available.

Skill points were placed in the fire column in such a way as to maximize the initial burst potential of these abilities and not have to rely as heavily on their damage over time effects - a workaround to the problem of enemies being mobile and avoiding AOE damage over time. As this build is no longer a 2 skill punch, it has been aptly renamed to 'Fire Energy'. Amongst its new advantages is the ability to use this build against single and multiple enemies. Where a priest is available, points may be reallocated from medkit into the fire line to deal higher DPS and with a priests SP buff, reloads will be much less frequent.
Closing Thoughts:
With the advent of the level 60 patch, skill builds have opened up albeit bringing a level of complexity with it. Gone are the days of the '2 skill' punch and in comes a level of multi-tasking abilities. Having tested all the various builds and skill allocations extensively, I can confidently say this has been the best build I have used. While all other builds were pushing similar values against each other, this one reigned supreme, allowing almost a whopping 10% extra DPS.

Outdated level 50 cap:
Skills:
These are the only skills I use in play despite having points around the tree.

Bullet Spray - Primary solo DPS
Gattling Fire - Primary AOE DPS
Satellite - Supplementary damage over time
Medkit - Free heals

Skill Points:
ZiXC1u5.png

Rationale:
I will focus this discussion on solo targets.

HG has many skills that can be quite daunting at first to select; some do damage over time while others burst. In our initial logic it is safe to say Bullet Spray is our main solo target DPS and Gattling Fire is our main AOE DPS - we will want to keep our points invested into these skills where possible. Every other form of DPS is supplementary ontop of our main damage dealers. What is the most effective: Burst? Damage over time? Electric? Fire? Fire abilities only synergize with themselves. Electric has some cross synergy in the tree. We will want to focus on electric and completely neglect the fire line. Almost all abilities also require an activation time, during that activation time we are losing DPS that could of been dealt with Bullet Spray. These abilities also suck up skill points that could have been invested else where.

The reason I only use Bullet Spray and Satellite is because
1) Bullet Spray is our primary DPS
2) Satellite has no activation time and can be used without stopping Bullet Spray
3) Satellite has high total damage over its 10 second duration
4) Satellite synergizes with Advance Pulse Lasers (check the skill description) and gains additional damage even if only a single point is put into it
5) You open up points to max out medkit which is an extremely useful ability allowing you and your party members to heal up to full without a priest and saving Meso.

I don't use other skills in the rotation because
1) They have activation times, taking DPS away from Bullet Spray
2) They suck up points away from our primary DPS skills, lowering our overall DPS
3) Some skill builds neglect Medkit, an ability that saves meso and makes HGs more flexible in a party

Min Maxing
It is possible to push the DPS slightly further at the expense of making the rotation more complicated. I was able to get about an additional 5% DPS (57k instead of 54k) by incorporating Lock On and Electric Blast. Skill Tree is as follows:

YSBkUmH.png

Rotation is:

Bullet Spray all the time
Satellite every 30 seconds
Lock On + Electric Blast - when they are available together, never use them separately

Note: Do NOT charge electric blast, just shoot its first stage. Charging it up is wasted time.

Closing Thoughts:
After trying out all the various builds it really comes down to a decision of 'do I think it's worth pushing out a few extra % DPS at the cost of complication?'. If not, stick with Bullet Spray and Satellite. If you want to push another 3-5% DPS add Lock On and Electric Blast. When pushing the limits of DPS factors like reload frequency come into play. There are other builds out there that incorporate even more or different skills; but think, higher spirit consumption means more frequent reloads, more skills means more frequent activation times - all of which take time away from dealing DPS with bullet spray. It's highly likely that in real scenarios these differences would average out and you'd be back to the original question: 'do I think it's worth pushing out a few extra % DPS at the cost of complication?'. In my opinion you wouldn't be going wrong with just Bullet Spray and Satellite.
nappaisnappa

Comments

• EnekaEneka
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Stats ? dex + crit ? 2:1?
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Eneka wrote: »
    Stats ? dex + crit ? 2:1?

All dex, crit rate has not much use at this stage of the game.
  • EnekaEneka
    57k dps whit this build? how much GS you have?
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 4:22PM October 8, 2018
    57k dps whit this build? how much GS you have?

just under 4k GS. Got a +10 weapon.
  • HyarchyHyarchy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    So now that the level cap has reached, will there be changes in this build or will this be inferior to others? Since now you can cap skills which makes Electric blast and the like stronger.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Hyarchy wrote: »
    So now that the level cap has reached, will there be changes in this build or will this be inferior to others? Since now you can cap skills which makes Electric blast and the like stronger.

Updated the build. It's not longer a 2 skill punch since the options have opened up so much. I am very confident this is the best build at the moment. It's roughly 10% stronger than the 2 skill punch and about 5% stronger than bullet spray + satellite + lockon + 1 tap electric blast.
  • nebayotnebayot
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,045
    would this work for pvp
  • ChillBearChillBear
    nebayot wrote: »
    would this work for pvp

No, PVP is a different build. Not going to worry about that at the moment since PVP isn't out.
  • NeroboughtNerobought
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    Can I ask why you don't take satellite and instead take M-bomb? That seems like a strange choice since satellite offers very high dps for it's total duration and it's pretty much fire and forget. M-bomb is also hard to use against more mobile bosses.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 2:01PM October 11, 2018
    Nerobought wrote: »
    Can I ask why you don't take satellite and instead take M-bomb? That seems like a strange choice since satellite offers very high dps for it's total duration and it's pretty much fire and forget. M-bomb is also hard to use against more mobile bosses.

Pretty much because of the skill preceding it. Stun grenades takes up 4 skill points which could be used elsewhere. Satellite is good and in one variation of this build I did take it and lower some points down the fire column but it wasn't pushing the numbers as high as I managed with the current one.

Edit: Also, consider how much damage M-bomb does. The whole animation is no more than 2 seconds and at level 1 does the same damage as a high level satellite does in 10 seconds.
  • mmviimmvii
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,790
    I leveled with your bullet spray build, was pretty good. Can see you changed it now :P, I'll have to try this out I guess.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    mmvii wrote: »
    I leveled with your bullet spray build, was pretty good. Can see you changed it now :P, I'll have to try this out I guess.

Yeah, level 60 opened up the skill tree a lot more. It wouldn't be justified to stay with the old one when this build is pushing 10% or more DPS
  • EnekaEneka
    im leveling the gunner and for me is a nightmare,its hard to leveling a HG has very low dps :( what skill are the best for leveling?
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 10:50PM October 12, 2018
    im leveling the gunner and for me is a nightmare,its hard to leveling a HG has very low dps :( what skill are the best for leveling?

I wouldn't worry about 1-50 so much as this is a very quick levelling time. Even 50 - 60 can be quite quick if you're doing world bosses. Have a look at my old level 50 build but otherwise you'll need to change to this new one when you can.

Edit: Also, I will take some time tomorrow to post up the DPS test results of various builds in an update along with showing a good place to test DPS for gunners.
  • RactoonRactoon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 210
    Just finished leveling a HG to 50 and was wondering, do you manually cast all your skills or macro the CD ones/ect? Thanks.
    Shelldon
  • ShelldonShelldon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    Ractoon wrote: »
    Just finished leveling a HG to 50 and was wondering, do you manually cast all your skills or macro the CD ones/ect? Thanks.

I was wondering the same as Ractoon, i tend to loss a lot of dps because i get my shortcuts confused after a while.

• wrexnfxwrexnfx
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 100
    Hello, I've tried this build and would like to report success

For gear purposes: I have a +10 murpgath, I use Magnus Hard Wings/Horns and Kandura necklace. I'm at 4100 GS. The build is an excellent increase from the build spray. The only depressing thing I've seen is lower procs for my headpiece and wings, which makes the damage increase minimal. By which I mean, pierce 10% and attack increase 11.5% activated far more often with bullet spray. Even so, it was a 7% increase. I topped out at 37k DPS on Magnus Hard and cleared within 6 minutes 37 seconds.

All in all, very good build.

Do you imagine changing this build once the electrocute bug is fixed?
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Ractoon wrote: »

No, macros are a bad thing for DPS. You can expect to lose 10-20% of your DPS doing macros. I believe it's down to the less fluid transition from skill to skill.
    wrexnfx wrote: »
    Hello, I've tried this build and would like to report success

For gear purposes: I have a +10 murpgath, I use Magnus Hard Wings/Horns and Kandura necklace. I'm at 4100 GS. The build is an excellent increase from the build spray. The only depressing thing I've seen is lower procs for my headpiece and wings, which makes the damage increase minimal. By which I mean, pierce 10% and attack increase 11.5% activated far more often with bullet spray. Even so, it was a 7% increase. I topped out at 37k DPS on Magnus Hard and cleared within 6 minutes 37 seconds.

All in all, very good build.

Do you imagine changing this build once the electrocute bug is fixed?

Glad you like it. Hard to say about the Electric Blast bug. This was the only build that pushed DPS higher than others that I tested so I think it'd be a stretch for anything to top this. But we'll see in the next patch if Bullet Spray + Electric Blast can make a come back.
  • IamToxicXDIamToxicXD
    Why so many points into advanced missles without leveling the missle abilities very far?
    Shouldn't you have rocket launcer at atleast level 8?
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 7:51AM October 15, 2018
    IamToxicXD wrote: »
    Why so many points into advanced missles without leveling the missle abilities very far?
    Shouldn't you have rocket launcer at atleast level 8?

Just for the reason that many bosses move and don't get the full damage over time so I emphasize the initial impact. You could try moving some points out of advanced missles into Rocket Launcher but I think it'd have little impact on overall DPS.