Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Achievement stars

LearnLearn
MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
Posts: 15
Member
edited 9:55AM October 2, 2018 in General Chat
Hey guys,

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, cause I am a completionist. I love to do everything as I find them. I'm currently Level 45, still doing the epic quest line, but I've done all the World quests I've encountered, Done the side dungeons until I could buy the mounts, Gotten easy trophies that I knew along the way, and it was all fantastic. I've loved all the time I've spent on the game thus far.

However... one thing I found, like, 90% of the "Find a golden chest" Stars have been removed from maps... Replaced by simple "Talk to this person" or "Kill 'x' mobs."
I'm the kind of person who LOVED the Golden chests. (I hate how the spawn rate works, how it only spawns on certain channels at a time, and it can't spawn on more than 3 channels in the entire 20 channel server. Which in turn makes sense so people can't just abuse running through one map opening all the golden chests.) But I still don't quite understand why they went through this route. I just want to understand what their reasoning for this being the solution was. Maybe they couldn't come to a conclusion on how to fix the spawn rates? A way to fix so it's not abuseable, but still do-able and find-able for people.

By no means am I saying that this change was a bad thing. For people who just want to complete their stars are probably really thankful. And I know some people are going to argue the fact that collecting the Chests are a "Trophy" anyways. I don't want to argue though, and I'm not saying I deserve the right to know why they changed it, I'm just a curious Completionist who wants to know why, and thought I'd bring up discussion about it with the community to see if anyone is on the same page as me.

Sincerely,

Delivery Person Learn.
1skanderWarame

Comments

  • WarameWarame
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,820
    Posts: 57
    Member
    There is an easy way to solve the golden chest respawn problem.
    They just need to make it so the golden chest will always be there on each map that has it until the character decides to open it for the first time ever.
    After this, the golden chest would appear with the current respawn rate.
    The code for the "first time golden chest" would be similar to how the drops from monsters works (each player having his own drops).

    I believe this way they wouldn't need to remove golden chests from the exploration goals.

  • LearnLearn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    Posts: 15
    Member
    Warame wrote: »
    There is an easy way to solve the golden chest respawn problem.
    They just need to make it so the golden chest will always be there on each map that has it until the character decides to open it for the first time ever.
    After this, the golden chest would appear with the current respawn rate.
    The code for the "first time golden chest" would be similar to how the drops from monsters works (each player having his own drops).

    I believe this way they wouldn't need to remove golden chests from the exploration goals.

    The only problem with that is when you're in a party, who's map would take priority. Cause when you open a golden chest in a party, everyone gets the rewards from the gold chest itself. They don't get the opening for the trophy, but they still get the contents and the star so long as they're in a map. So people could still abuse this by making random alts and just spamming an early map with it.
  • WarameWarame
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,820
    Posts: 57
    Member
    Learn wrote: »
    Warame wrote: »
    There is an easy way to solve the golden chest respawn problem.
    They just need to make it so the golden chest will always be there on each map that has it until the character decides to open it for the first time ever.
    After this, the golden chest would appear with the current respawn rate.
    The code for the "first time golden chest" would be similar to how the drops from monsters works (each player having his own drops).

    I believe this way they wouldn't need to remove golden chests from the exploration goals.

    The only problem with that is when you're in a party, who's map would take priority. Cause when you open a golden chest in a party, everyone gets the rewards from the gold chest itself. They don't get the opening for the trophy, but they still get the contents and the star so long as they're in a map. So people could still abuse this by making random alts and just spamming an early map with it.

    Make it so the first golden chest is not affected by party or anything like that. It would still just appear for you.
    Or make it so after the first golden chest, your character cannot gain experience or drops from other people first golden chests.
  • LearnLearn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    Posts: 15
    Member
    Warame wrote: »
    Learn wrote: »
    Warame wrote: »
    There is an easy way to solve the golden chest respawn problem.
    They just need to make it so the golden chest will always be there on each map that has it until the character decides to open it for the first time ever.
    After this, the golden chest would appear with the current respawn rate.
    The code for the "first time golden chest" would be similar to how the drops from monsters works (each player having his own drops).

    I believe this way they wouldn't need to remove golden chests from the exploration goals.

    The only problem with that is when you're in a party, who's map would take priority. Cause when you open a golden chest in a party, everyone gets the rewards from the gold chest itself. They don't get the opening for the trophy, but they still get the contents and the star so long as they're in a map. So people could still abuse this by making random alts and just spamming an early map with it.

    Make it so the first golden chest is not affected by party or anything like that. It would still just appear for you.
    Or make it so after the first golden chest, your character cannot gain experience or drops from other people first golden chests.

    Wouldn't that imply that they'd be 2 golden chests overlapping on top of each other? What kind of system would they have to implement so there's not 2 chests? What if there was already a chest in the map, and someone went into the map for their "first" chest, and the chest from the map spawned there too.

    What I was thinking, is making a channel called "Achievement" channel or something. Where chests have a short spawn rate, (5 minutes) but the golden chest is solo as you mentioned. A channel where things have a "one time offer" type deal, where Epic monsters (With like, 10% less hp), Golden chests only appear once, but don't count for trophies, ALL wooden chests appear but don't count for trophies and don't drop anything. Maybe something like that? The point of the Epic Monsters would be for those people who are like "I wanna solo the World boss! Give myself a challenge!" type thing. Keep Fair fight on for world bosses level 30 and under. But take it off for all those above. In the one channel of course. Every other channel would still function the same, it would just be a bonus channel. Maybe it could be an event channel, where the channel shows up every weekend on saturday nights, from 8pm EST to 10pm EST.

    What do you think?