Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Favorite Hard Dungeon

ZatchZatch
Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,680
edited 3:26PM September 28, 2018 in Dungeons
-
  1. Which hard dungeon did you enjoy the most from the second beta?30 votes
    1. The Fire Dragon
       53% (16 votes)
    2. Temple of Immortals
       47% (14 votes)

Comments

• KatsKats
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,150
    edited 3:55PM September 28, 2018
    Temple of Immortals was to me far more fun.
    Sure, hitboxes were somewhat annoying but still more fun.
    This boss with no knight was even more fun! :p I liked the "mechanic" to jump across the lava to get away from the last phase. :p
    Even suggested to change this boss fight a small bit, to add platforms that people would jump on to both get away from last phase, and as a way for melee to get to the adds that spawn. I mean, doubt that made it in but I would love to see it sometime. :p

I really just do not like bosses with mechanics that require you to chase them.

If the dungeon creation system makes it in game, and there's enough freedom with it, I will most certainly, first thing I do, create my ideal Balrog fight. :p
    (Just need to learn LUA first lol)
    kawingshek
  • MareSEphemeralMareSEphemeral
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,680
    Fire Dragon. Yeah it was easy, but this is what a well designed boss looks like to me. People that were new to it still died a lot if they didn't practice and didn't know mechanics (I got wrecked the first time because I had no idea what I was doing), but once you study it, you start seeing it's patterns and how to deal with all its attacks while still getting in as much damage as you can. It rewarded you well for putting in effort into learning the fight, while still being fun.

Balrog was just BS on a lot of levels. It's predictable, even more so than Pyrros, because the attacks it can do at any given point are very limited, and yet you can still get punished for a lot of damage even if you knew exactly what was gonna happen and responded appropriately. This was mostly because of the hitboxes, due to combat being processed server side apparently. It really doesn't help when this boss also requires specific classes (at least 1 melee ranged at the bare minimum, at that's pushing it unless everyone is very experienced in the fight) while the max party size was reduced to 4.

Otherwise though, if the current issues with Balrog were to be fixed, then I would agree that it's a fun fight. As it is now, it's just a lot of frustration.
    BakaAnikiDanDK
  • kawingshekkawingshek
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,305
    Seen the minions being available for melee range in balrog in some video, but I also hope that's implemented for us aswell or I'll have trouble finding party at start.

Balrog is more fun due to less chasing as a Berserker, but it feels very rewarding and relaxing fighting Pyros. Especially when you grab on to him when he goes to 2nd phase. Burn your teammates before they get to the platform >:D
    Honestly, Katvan was a better boss fight than either of the hard dungeons. Only problem is that his dungeon is ****ing annoying as hell because you have to fight through all these stumps that make the game lag super hard.
  • SubglaciousSubglacious
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,555
    kawingshek wrote: »
    Seen the minions being available for melee range in balrog in some video, but I also hope that's implemented for us aswell or I'll have trouble finding party at start.

Wasn't in the patch notes, but this change was made. He also only has ~42m compared to Pyrros' ~50m. Pretty sure they also nerfed his swing damage.
    edited 2:56AM October 5, 2018
    Yep, did some balrog today and got the weapon from him. Was surprised to see that adds can now be killed by melee and balrog swing damage was nerfed quite a bit so you don't get 2-shot instantly without 1.6k+ def (I did fine with around 1.1k). Also I don't know if it's just my imagination or maybe I just got better at dodging, but the hitboxes don't seem to be as BS anymore. Maybe it's because of improved latency. But I'll have to move Balrog up my list of fun bosses because of this.

Still pretty annoying when people just leave right away though. With the way Balrog is now, all you really need is a knight or priest, preferably knight, and I still see people that are scared or inexperienced just leave after party finder. It's usually the knight that does this too, I guess many of them just feel like they're entitled to choose their own parties since they're the knight.
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 30,520
    Yep, did some balrog today and got the weapon from him. Was surprised to see that adds can now be killed by melee and balrog swing damage was nerfed quite a bit so you don't get 2-shot instantly without 1.6k+ def (I did fine with around 1.1k). Also I don't know if it's just my imagination or maybe I just got better at dodging, but the hitboxes don't seem to be as BS anymore. Maybe it's because of improved latency. But I'll have to move Balrog up my list of fun bosses because of this.

Still pretty annoying when people just leave right away though. With the way Balrog is now, all you really need is a knight or priest, preferably knight, and I still see people that are scared or inexperienced just leave after party finder. It's usually the knight that does this too, I guess many of them just feel like they're entitled to choose their own parties since they're the knight.

Party Finder can be a bit intimidating when you don't know people. The first and only party I found for this run charged me 1m for finishing because I ran out of revives halfway through and they had to finish with 3 people.