Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Kavaju's Mega Music Guide!

KavajuKavaju
Maplestory 2 Rep: 705
edited 10:56AM September 16, 2018 in Music
Hello everyone!
Here I am with yet another guide on how to do these musical stuffies in Maple2.
This guide is a bit more than a simple "convert this midi to mml", no no no, it's much more than that!

Why a guide? We have so many!
Indeed we have, but they always cover a small part of what there is to the whole system. My guide aim to cover everything from how to play a sheet, how to make simple fixes to codes from other games, how to convert your own midi and how to code mml from scratch, with no midi! I even have a list of all the trophies! Crazy!

I wish for this guide to be a "one place to get it all" instead of having to remember 17 url to guides that explained different things.
I do think the short guides are very good, if you prefer to use them, please do. I have no intention to claim that my guide is any better. Just bigger!

Easy to read
The big size might look daunting at first but as someone who has English as their second language, I felt we needed a guide that's easy to approach and understand no matter our language barriers or prior musical talents. I try my best to explain things as easy as possible without yelling technical muciscal mumbojumbo words your way.
I always ask how and why when I learn new things so instead of just saying "do this and that" you will know why I tell you do this or that.

A work in progress
This is a big project and I'm not done yet, but I hope it will still be a good source of information to others.
I still haven't touched upon the use of 3MLE (popular program for converting midi to mml) but I will get there! Promise!

The guide
It's a long read, but I hope you will find it worth your time.
https://tinyurl.com/mmlguide

Never be scared to reach out to me or others with questions. The only dumb question is the one that remained unasked!
ZanktusSaintoneExtentInstinctMadokaMagicaFantasykittenMrNoHelpTechn0mancer

Comments

• KavajuKavaju
    edited 2:58AM October 27, 2018
    Changelog
    So you know if something changed since the last time you were here...

2018-07-19 Added missing trophies for Recorder and Celesta. Also added space for Queenstown and MS2MML
    2018-07-20 Clarified that this is still a work in progress and promised parts are still missing… Added Changelog!
    2018-07-20 Edited/added text to Queenstown, MS2MML, Reopening Composed Scores and Anti-MML-Piracy
    2018-07-21 Cleaned up titles and headers so more subtitles show up in the outline. Added section for Tempo
    2018-07-22 Added Volume and removed some info under “getting started” that was no longer relevant.
    2018-07-26 Added section for Sustain as well as cosmetic updates here and there
    2018-07-27 Added section for crafting
    2018-08-19 I’m still alive, updated info to point to my new guild Smultron
    2018-09-15 Added section for Chords and Tracks
    2018-09-16 Rewrote the Soundfont section a bit and also added a subtitle to Chords and Tracks
    2018-10-09 Started on the section 3MLE: INTRODUCTION and updated instrument list
    2018-10-27 Made corrections, added Style Crate instruments and finished the 3MLE introduction section

• ZanktusZanktus
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 835
    I appreciate the effort! As a total MML newbe, I gonna have a lot to read :D
    Kavaju
  • SaintoneSaintone
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,365
    edited 4:45AM September 17, 2018
    This is a very, very, very in-depth guide to all things music in MS2, and covers much more than the jump-in-and-convert guide I wrote months back. Anyone who wants to take music seriously or take a narrower look into it's systems should appreciate this.

Well done.
    ZanktusKavaju
  • ExtentInstinctExtentInstinct
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,280
    I had no idea about MML including other things, yet your inspiration to teach people really inspired me to keep reading due to the professional detailed information, your jokes and politeness. Thank you very much for such a useful guide (literally known nothing) Good job and see you in game!
    Kavaju
  • KavajuKavaju
    Update: It's a slow process for now but I started working on the 3mle chapters. Nothing much for now as I am currently at work, but more should be added within the next few days!
  • MrNoHelpMrNoHelp
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    edited 10:27AM October 15, 2018
    Hello, I really like your guide, for the fun part, I spend time hard coding the sequence to compose something, I managed to put something together. I haven't publish any of my work (compose and do something about with it). I checked your guide, the "music guide" and "web guide" in the game but don´t know how to pull this off
    4JCzUZ151W44.png

It is two notes pressed together at the same time. Is it possible do in the composer or it is way too complex?
  • KavajuKavaju
    MrNoHelp wrote: »
    Hello, I really like your guide, for the fun part, I spend time hard coding the sequence to compose something, I managed to put something together. I haven't publish any of my work (compose and do something about with it). I checked your guide, the "music guide" and "web guide" in the game but don´t know how to pull this off
    4JCzUZ151W44.png

It is two notes pressed together at the same time. Is it possible do in the composer or it is way too complex?

What you wish to do is create a chord. To do so, please look at page 26 of my guide where it's explained how it works. in 3mle you code each note you want to play at the same time and make sure they allign at the spots they need to allign. Just copy paste those tracks as is into the melody and harmony tracks in maple and the notes will play at the same time! Just poke me if something seems confusing since it can be hard to keep track of all the tracks (pun totally intended)
    MrNoHelp
  • MrNoHelpMrNoHelp
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    edited 3:05PM October 18, 2018
    What you wish to do is create a chord. To do so, please look at page 26 of my guide where it's explained how it works. in 3mle you code each note you want to play at the same time and make sure they allign at the spots they need to allign. Just copy paste those tracks as is into the melody and harmony tracks in maple and the notes will play at the same time! Just poke me if something seems confusing since it can be hard to keep track of all the tracks (pun totally intended)

Thanx a bunch. You really helped me out :D
    Kavaju
  • KavajuKavaju
    MrNoHelp wrote: »

Thanx a bunch. You really helped me out :D

Happy it worked out!

• ZanktusZanktus
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 835
    edited 3:11AM October 27, 2018
    Had issues with the volume before, that explanation of yours with the V and a number between 0-15 was really helpful. As said before great guide, probably the best I've seen so far :D

Edit: Some mod maybe pin it?