Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[COMPLETE] Unscheduled Maintenance - August 28th

Comments

• FluffernutFluffernut
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,245
    Redxpanda wrote: »
    Catalyst wrote: »
    Really glad to see this patch.

I think the problem with this particular bug is that bc of how widespread it was, it is very difficult to pinpoint every single player who abused the borb bug, even with a reporting system. You would want to punish everyone who caused the bug; not just a group of them, and you don't want to punish the players in the top of the ladder who didn't abuse the bug with something like a rank reset.

That being said, I do understand the frustration of having players who abused the bug getting large rewards (such as a $100 Founders Pack). I believe that a solution to this issue could be by resetting the ladder but reimbursing everyone with Battle Royale/Mushking coins (whatever that currency is called) equal to their rank before the reset. That way, players who abused the bug wouldn't have a huge advantage when it comes to founders pack, and players who have worked hard to get their ranks will still get some form of reward out of their effort (ex: for buying those special mounts or buying clothes at the markets).

Resetting the ladder is not fair to legit players.(But may be a good way to make it more balanced) The fact that a bug like this happened an so many used it should have some kind of demonstration of power to warn future abusers so many of the top 200 players are abusers some tested it and some Abused it its disheartening to hear that honest and integrity is not rewarded but disloyalty and exploitation is welcomed.

Agreed. The game was literally unplayable for non abusers, I've been playing consistantly each day and I can't climb without getting pushed out by the INSANE amount of abusers. Not punishing them may aswell be rewarding them with high ranks. It's pretty disappointing..

I'd like to say that it would be relatively easy to see who was using the bug by checking the packets sent during a skill useage. Flitering through those who were reported, and those who often sent far more than average packets could have their rank reset would be a simple fix to make it fair. Otherwise a full reset would also work
    RedxpandaCatalystmirta000DanDKNyura
  • DraigelDraigel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,170
    edited 3:11PM August 28, 2018
    Really glad to see this patch.
    Draigel wrote: »
    Punishment? When? Will Nexon Let Abusers Win Founder Pack? Does Nexon allow bug abusers in their games? If that's the case, I'll abuse on the next bug, since theres no punishment at all.

I think the problem with this particular bug is that bc of how widespread it was, it is very difficult to pinpoint every single player who abused the borb bug, even with a reporting system. You would want to punish everyone who caused the bug; not just a group of them, and you don't want to punish the players in the top of the ladder who didn't abuse the bug with something like a rank reset.

That being said, I do understand the frustration of having players who abused the bug getting large rewards (such as a $100 Founders Pack). I believe that a solution to this issue could be by resetting the ladder but reimbursing everyone with Battle Royale/Mushking coins (whatever that currency is called) equal to their rank before the reset. That way, players who abused the bug wouldn't have a huge advantage when it comes to founders pack, and players who have worked hard to get their ranks will still get some form of reward out of their effort (ex: for buying those special mounts or buying clothes at the markets).

What an incompetent company. Once the problem has been detected: close the server, fix the bug, and then open the server again and none of this would have happened. Epic fail...
    DanDKMougen
  • ArjuneArjune
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,720
    what an incompetent company. Once the problem has been detected: close the server, fix the bug, and then open the server again and none of this would have happened. Epic fail...

That would work in a perfect world, but they have the full release to prepare for and a lot of other things...and I think I saw someone post a twitter comment or something from a Dev saying that it wasn't something that could be fixed immediately... so they would have probably had to keep the game down for the entire weekend otherwise. I was annoyed we all have the right to be annoyed. I just hope maybe they do something...if they can figure out how to find out who was using the orb block thing all the time, then they could just roll those players back to the rank they were at before they started doing it. Resetting everything would hurt all the other players... I have worked hard to stay in top 50 all this time. I would be really disappointed if it all got reset
    CatalystMougen
  • MakerMaker
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,335
    OH YES FINALLY
    Stance on teaming-up in solo mode?

This can be a very vague thing to address. I believe you that in your statement you are referring to players who are actively seeking out players to defeat while not targetting team members. However, I believe that you can also apply the teaming-up strategy to pacifists in solo, since they aim to not attack other players to win. Personally, pacifists in solo are kinda awkward, bc there are a few who will get offended that you are playing the game by trying to defeat enemies, and it is a mess trying to figure out who is and who isn't a pacifist in solo.

I think putting the option to just team-up in solo with the way squads are made would be a problem for solo players as the mode is mostly intended for them. Let the game stay like it's right now, without exploits and bugs obviously.
    I'm ok with pacifists and pacific ways of ending the game, if someone doesn't seem to be a threat and just greets me (F1 emote) I won't kill them nor try to harm them as I, myself, prefer to avoid any kind of combat (I'm really bad at fighting 1v1 in anything). Like that one time I shared a tall grass with a pacifist and we covered each other's back! Or that one time when everyone just stopped killing each other and tried to figure out how to survive as the circle was in the middle of nowhere (the player who was jumped at the last second and managed to survive enough). Or that other times when people just greet me and walks away and I'm like "They sure feel confident with their way of playing"
    CatalystExiga
  • ArjuneArjune
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,720
    edited 3:13PM August 28, 2018
    NekoLily wrote: »
    Or that other times when people just greet me and walks away and I'm like "They sure feel confident with their way of playing"

sounds like something I'd do... lol :P I'm only that confident if I have a few springs in stock though...otherwise it's like "aaaaaaaaaa there's a fireball up my bum.. time to run XD"
    Tanathorn
  • CatalystCatalyst
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,025
    what an incompetent company. Once the problem has been detected: close the server, fix the bug, and then open the server again and none of this would have happened. Epic fail...

Again, I am not saying that your feelings are not unwarranted. That being said however, let me give you the situation in maybe a different perspective.

On August 24, 3 days, ago, Cuddles mentioned that there were 2 issues brought to their attention: the Borb combo and the issue with rewards regarding creating and deleting characters. Now being aware of this issue, they would have A.) finding the source of the problem, B.) fix said problem properly and make sure the problem was fixed correctly, and C.) properly send out the patch. Now let's say that all of that took less than an hour (which I can not tell you if it does, because I have no expertise in that area). Patch set, people can get back to laddering.

But wait. This patch didn't just fix those *two* issues. This patch fixed exactly *16* issues, including one that allowed players to manipulate/gain merits for free. Assuming that they fixed each bug as soon as they were aware of it (which I doubt was all at once, but again, I do not know how long or what it takes to patch an issuue) they would have to send multiple hotfixes throughout these 3 days. Actually, since players would constantly be experiencing hotfix periods, it would probably be harder to find every bug that they came across in these 3 days, and we could possibly be experiencing multiple hotfixes for possibly several times a week.

You called the company "incompetent" for how they handled this situation, but how would the company look if they handled it as described above? Of course, people would relieve a lot of players, but constantly running into hotfixes, having your playtime constantly interrupted with new bugs that pop up? That wouldn't just be incompetent. That would be sloppy. And sloppy is definitely not the kind of message you want to send for an upcoming release, because if you have to do so many bug fixes throughout a week then what should we as players expect when the full game is released in October?

This is probably one of the better ways they could have handled the situation, giving the number of bugs and exploits they have found and fixed. Not to say that this patch is perfect, because there are things that they could have done better, especially given the big "prize money" (founders packs) being involved. But to me, this is at the very least a good first step, and their next steps should be coming up with a solution to the current rank points and how to resolve the rank issues caused by the exploit.

TanathornCariseiCubeNoobCathie1skanderXtonyAlzackMougen
  • LastSaturdayLastSaturday
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,450
    So nothing is happening to those that exploited their way to the top and people who didn't exploit are just morons for not using it who need to triple the effort?
    Please add a big middle finger to the post
    CubeNoobNyura
  • TrutoralTrutoral
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 625
    So nothing is happening to those that exploited their way to the top and people who didn't exploit are just morons for not using it who need to triple the effort?

If there is a wallet on the ground with a ton of money and an id, will you take the money and be richer or will you turn it in to the police?

It's true that you are losing money but it's yourself telling you that you did the right thing. (Not the correct analogy but hopefully the same thought process)
    Xtony
    Trutoral wrote: »

If there is a wallet on the ground with a ton of money and an id, will you take the money and be richer or will you turn it in to the police?

It's true that you are losing money but it's yourself telling you that you did the right thing. (Not the correct analogy but hopefully the same thought process)

No it's not, exploits are banned via ToS and the right thing can be measured by the level of well being which exploiters saw a sharp drop in match making times ergo less people playing.
  • TrutoralTrutoral

No it's not, exploits are banned via ToS and the right thing can be measured by the level of well being which exploiters saw a sharp drop in match making times ergo less people playing.

How can you catch them all? What happens to the people who did it by accident a few times or did it out of panic. There are so many factors. Also, it's hard to put the blame on players who abuse it because it was part of the game system already. This was completely the fault of the admin/developers not being able to fix it fast but the people who abuse it shouldn't be banned because they didn't hack the game directly.

I'm just saying that if you know you didn't mean to do it on purpose because you know that it's fair, then you shouldn't exploit new glitches since you won't be caught.

If everyone does it, the game goes downhill. Glitches and bugs happened all the time. Taking less than a week to solve is already a miracle, honestly.
    CubeNoobXtonyCatalyst
    edited 5:41PM August 28, 2018
    Also, it's hard to put the blame on players who abuse it because it was part of the game system already.

That is called an exploit
    I'm just saying that if you know you didn't mean to do it on purpose because you know that it's fair, then you shouldn't exploit new glitches since you won't be caught.
    Likely had no idea what they were doing and nor did they repeat it
    How can you catch them all?
    Probably can't so another solution would be needed such as measuring the amount of times someone was reported for exploiting or resetting the ladder. Otherwise you are just rewarding this
    downhill. Glitches and bugs happened all the time
    You could use this to justify anything
    Taking less than a week to solve is already a miracle, honestly.
    No it's not. It was a simple issue that they decided did not matter enough to hotfix. They can easily update skill percentages and bonuses with hotfixes such as reducing the damage assuming their devs aren't eating lead paint. Even then they had enough time to release a decent amount of bug fixes which went through the full QA process. The only reason this was not hot fixed is simply because they did not care or feel it was important enough. Same reason they decided not to do ANYTHING at all.

The compensation as well shows how little they thought of this problem, a hair voucher and 5 fire works, about 15 cents. It is the most hollow thing imaginable and again shows the type of moderation quality we can expect coming from this game.
    DanDKNyuraGunPowderAlzack
  • TrutoralTrutoral
    Seriously though, when there are glitches and bugs, be angry and complain. Report and give feedback on the issue. Dont follow the crowd and exploit too.

Unfortunately, chances are exploiters won't be banned or rolled back but if one day they are banned and you get banned too, there are no excuses for being a victim.
  • AskaLanglyAskaLangly
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,070
    CALL NEXON, SAY "ORBCADE".

This is probably the fourth time saying this: cancel the Founder's Pack incentive.
    #apogee #wolfenstein3d #aardwolf
    CatalystLastSaturday
  • ThendriksThendriks
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 805
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    Fixed issues with German text placement

Thumbs up to the german localization team. Always appreciated when feedback leads to improvement.

Dankeschön öäüß!
  • NyuraNyura
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 6,590
    Thanks for actually fixing stuff

No thanks at all for letting abusers walk out of this with a free founder pack when it's a literal matter of checking the game's logs. You would literally need to have no brain to be unable to tell who did this on purpose and who did it by accident. Nexon absolutely has the means to pinpoint the abusers and to prevent them from earning rewards for their hard work abusing game bugs. It's a matter of whether they want to do something or not, no more and no less.
    DanDKAlzackLastSaturday
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,875
    The real issue I have with exploiters left unpunished is that more people will start exploiting since there's obviously nothing to lose but a lot to gain...
    Nyura
  • SubglaciousSubglacious
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,575
    Again, I am not saying that your feelings are not unwarranted. That being said however, let me give you the situation in maybe a different perspective.

On August 24, 3 days, ago, Cuddles mentioned that there were 2 issues brought to their attention: the Borb combo and the issue with rewards regarding creating and deleting characters. Now being aware of this issue, they would have A.) finding the source of the problem, B.) fix said problem properly and make sure the problem was fixed correctly, and C.) properly send out the patch. Now let's say that all of that took less than an hour (which I can not tell you if it does, because I have no expertise in that area). Patch set, people can get back to laddering.

But wait. This patch didn't just fix those *two* issues. This patch fixed exactly *16* issues, including one that allowed players to manipulate/gain merits for free. Assuming that they fixed each bug as soon as they were aware of it (which I doubt was all at once, but again, I do not know how long or what it takes to patch an issuue) they would have to send multiple hotfixes throughout these 3 days. Actually, since players would constantly be experiencing hotfix periods, it would probably be harder to find every bug that they came across in these 3 days, and we could possibly be experiencing multiple hotfixes for possibly several times a week.

You called the company "incompetent" for how they handled this situation, but how would the company look if they handled it as described above? Of course, people would relieve a lot of players, but constantly running into hotfixes, having your playtime constantly interrupted with new bugs that pop up? That wouldn't just be incompetent. That would be sloppy. And sloppy is definitely not the kind of message you want to send for an upcoming release, because if you have to do so many bug fixes throughout a week then what should we as players expect when the full game is released in October?

This is probably one of the better ways they could have handled the situation, giving the number of bugs and exploits they have found and fixed. Not to say that this patch is perfect, because there are things that they could have done better, especially given the big "prize money" (founders packs) being involved. But to me, this is at the very least a good first step, and their next steps should be coming up with a solution to the current rank points and how to resolve the rank issues caused by the exploit.

There may have been 16 issues in this patch, but only two were CRITICAL. Yes, it would have been ridiculous to do 16 patches over 4 days, but that's not the only option. The very, very obvious alternative is to fix the most important ones first. You know, the one that the community is unanimously pissed about and the one where people permanently lose items. Then you can fix the other 14 in a later patch.

I mean, Nexon probably knows that. I would assume/hope that the patch was only released yesterday because that was when they had both of those issues fixed. I doubt they've been sitting on them for a few days and decided to hold off because the other minor changes weren't completed.

I'm not calling the meso thing critical because 1) it's kind of pennies, 2) they can easily wipe mesos before launch (no other way to get a significant amount of mesos yeah?)
    CatalystLastSaturdayDanDK
  • MegaBurritoMegaBurrito
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,065
    There's not a real way to "punish" people for using block+orb exploit. It's not something that they keep track of such as a meso/merit exploit.
  • DownplayDownplay
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 330
    So, you fixed the bug, great thats awesome! Now can you do something about the 5-10 man teams in solos Im really not even bothered trying to finish this event with all the constant lack of real competition and the over all just problems with this event overall. You you get to the final 10 players in solo, if you use a radar you can tell that everyone is teaming, there are 5-10 people all stood next to each other with noone dying. And if you approach you get jumped by everyone. Why would anyone want to waste their 10$ on this crap.