Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[Guide] Bear's Best Gamepad Setup

ChillBearChillBear
Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,690
edited 6:37AM November 5, 2018 in General Chat
Official release build V2.0

Guide Changes:
5/11/2018 - Ingame Macro + download link for my configuration file for ReWASD
18/10/2018 - Turbo stutter stepping/animation cancel
8/10/2018 - Turbo feature added
2/10/2018 - Updated the guide to official release of the game

Intro:
This guide is for the prospective player looking for the 'best' control experience in MapleStory 2. It caters to the player who is willing to use a gamepad controller for all their movements and actions in the game. Such a player will need to be funded in real as not all gamepads are equal and third-party software is not equal. This guide was created by a player who used a keyboard extensively and tried out three different gamepads: Logitech F310, Raizer Raiju and Xbox One Elite controller. After not being satisfied with the lack of free movement on a keyboard (and missing many ranged attacks as a result of it), I undertook a learning process to figure out how to best set up a gamepad that wouldn't be restricted by disruptive combo buttons.

Here are some advantages and disadvantages to using a gamepad over a keyboard:

Advantages:
1) Movement is not restricted to eight angles and instead allows a full motion in all directions.
2) Many buttons are easier to reach than scattered around a keyboard.
3) More fingers are freed up to do actions on a gamepad than on keyboard (ie 3-5 fingers just for the movement arrow keys on keyboard).
4) For people with joint paint, gamepads may be a suitable alternative to keyboards.

Disadvantage:
1) Cannot chat (fixed with chatpad attachment for the controller).
2) Combo buttons can distract from the flow of battle and in some cases are harder to reach than on keyboard.
3) Can be a rather expensive endeavour picking up a high end gamepad, software and additional attachments (could be comparable to a high end keyboard).
4) Customizability is limited in some instances but could be improved in the future if Nexon opens up support further.
5) Gamepad mouse mode is not as quick and precise as using an actual mouse.
6) Need to memorise button placements/combos (may be more difficult than on keyboard for someone not used to gamepads).
7) Doesn't work well in Mushking Royale; there's just far too many skills and items making so many of them combo dependent.

Given these disadvantages, one may be turned off from using a gamepad but for the ones willing to spend the time and money they may find their experience enhanced and movement/actions more streamlined than keyboard players. Admittedly, gamepad is more worthwhile for the standard game rather than Mushking Royale.

Why should I follow your recommendations over a standard gamepad?

A standard controller is restricted to comboing buttons for skills due to a lack of customisation in game settings and a lack of buttons on the controller itself. We will require a gamepad with additional buttons and great software to streamline the experience; a chatpad attachment for the controller will further enhance our controls.

My configuration also provides what I feel to be a most natural flow of combat and user interface for a gamepad. Your primary actions are remapped to your triggers and buttons, and those triggers and buttons are remapped to additional buttons, being used for menus, less frequent skills, items and mounts.

What gamepad do I need?

Not all gamepads are equal. The vanilla experience with a standard gamepad is sub-optimal. Standard controllers suffer to a lack of customizability of controls and heavily restricted to using combos for skills, breaking the flow of combat.

Having tried three different controllers, the one you will need is the Xbox One Elite Controller currently retailing for around £120. The reason for this is the extra paddles located on the back of the controller and accompanied with appropriate third party software acts as four additional buttons. Note: Other controllers with extra buttons WILL NOT work as they do not have additional software that recognises their extra buttons for customisation; at most they may be restricted to reassigning those buttons to those located on the face of the gamepad.

What software will I need?

You will need reWASD, currently retailing for around £15 on the top package with all features unlocked. You may find reviews out there for other games which praises this software for its customisation. It is the only software that recognises the back paddles on the Xbox One Elite controller separately, effectively making them four additional buttons. This software will be used to reassign all our buttons to make the gamepad a smooth and streamlined experience in MapleStory 2.

If you pick up a chatpad attachment (details below) you will need Sharpkeys (https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys/releases) to remap any additional buttons. Fortunately, Sharpkeys is a free program.

What attachments will I need?

I cannot stress enough how much a chatpad enhances access to miscellaneous functions such as menus and expressions. A chatpad would effectively negate the D-Pad and combo buttons for menu access opening them up to other important features like your mounts or potions. While the XBox One Elite controller supports many third party chatpads, the best one is the official XBox One Chatpad retailing for around £27. This chatpad has a high quality feel to it, two programmable buttons (that will require third party software to reprogram on the PC, details below), backlighting on the keys and official XBox support amongst some of the more important features to name. The one downside to chatpads is the distance they are placed from the rest of the gamepad; don't expect to be using this chatpad for important actions mid-combat, it is really most effective for menus, expressions and other miscellaneous functions.

I now have an XBox One Elite controller, software and chatpad; what configuration should I use in game?

I play Heavy Gunner (say hello to Bear in EU if you ever see me!) so my configuration is based mostly around my class however, most of it can be translated over to other classes as well. My configuration requires editing of controls both in game and in reWASD. Below I will highlight my settings with and without a chatpad and the rationale for them.

reWASD

You may download my configuration file from the ReWASD website here:

I would recommend to continue reading the guide to understand how the configuration works.

ZrB82s4.png

On the front side of the gamepad you will need to unmap the left and right triggers and buttons on the top of the controller. These will be remapped to the paddles on the back. In their place I have remapped them with my primary actions:

Left Button: Dash
Left Trigger: Stun Grenades (Emergency stun)
Right Button: Reload (replenish SP)
Right Trigger: Electric Blast macro (Primary DPS, more details about macros below)

Z4OjkOV.png

On the back side of the gamepad you will need to remap the paddles to the left and right triggers and buttons. The top set of paddles are my buttons and the bottom set are my triggers. These will primarily be used to access menus without a chatpad, less frequently used skills, items and mounts.

I have also added the Turbo feature to Left Trigger and Left and Right Buttons in order to bypass the game shutting off your skills when holding down a button too long (usually 30 seconds). The Turbo feature presses the button repeatedly rather than hold it down. A little known but important feature of Turbo is stutter stepping/animation cancelling: holding down a skill + directional key cuts the animation of a skill down as your character stutter steps in the chosen direction. The benefit is about 5-10% in increased damage. Note that not all skills are able to stutter step, in the case of Heavy Gunner this is possible with Electric Blast but not Bullet Spray so add the Turbo feature where you see fit.

One unfortunate drawback of the Turbo feature is due to 'emulating' the effect of the ingame macro animation cancelling. Its rapid button pressing can make the character throw itself in the direction of the joystick inbetween these presses, displacing yourself more than a user with in the ingame macro. In order to bypass this detrimental effect and map the ingame macro to our gamepad, we will enter 'keyboard mode' in the top left corner of the screen:

AwZGPao.png

Then, in the case of gunners, activate Electric Blast and Reload in Macro Settings and map the shortcut to Numpad - (or whatever you deem suitable).

JLL36qS.png

Then go back into gamepad mode and map the macro shortcut to our Right Trigger in ReWASD.

krGwbua.png

Without a chatpad
In Game Gamepad Configuration

User Interface Configuration:
zxbfOb0.png

Put your main skills under the LT D-Pad, less frequent skill under LT XYBA, items in LB XYBA and mounts in RT XYBA.

Gamepad Settings:
o8UBuhM.png

X&Y Sensitivity - 25%
Walk/Run Sensitivity - 60%

These were the most comfortable settings I found for mouse mode movement and also walk/run activation from joystick movement.

Actions:
jmgftg5.png

Jump: A - For a natural button to press in order to jump.
Action: X - In order to speak to NPCs
Pick Up: B - Possibly the best button to assign pick up to after all other hotkeys/combos have been assigned.
Crawl: . (period) - Mapped to left stick down for easy access
Basic Attack: Right Button - This has been reassigned to the top right back paddle and is used for basic attacks along with faster mount speed.
Cancel: Y - In order to cancel screens/speech or access the end menu.

Menus:
fxMrVma.png Zb3ejtl.png yXoiZkD.png

You have a lot of room for customisation here since these can be set up to how you prefer however, my logic was to use the back paddles in combination with the menu and home keys on the controller to access the most important menus. Miscellaneous menus were combined with Left Button + directional joystick.

Misc:
IltT6M6.png

Zoom In and Zoom Out have been swapped to the bottom right back paddle + right directional joystick.

Gamepad Controls:
uikhjgK.png

Mouse Mode has been remapped to Swap Screen Button, Mouse Left-Click to Right Joystick Button and Mouse Right-Click to Top Left Back Paddle + Right Joystick Button.

With a chatpad
In Game Gamepad Configuration

User Interface Configuration:
zxbfOb0.png

Put your main skills under the LT D-Pad, less frequent skill under LT XYBA, items in LB XYBA and mounts in RT XYBA.

Gamepad Settings:
o8UBuhM.png

X&Y Sensitivity - 25%
Walk/Run Sensitivity - 60%

These were the most comfortable settings I found for mouse mode movement and also walk/run activation from joystick movement.

Actions:
jmgftg5.png

Jump: A - For a natural button to press in order to jump.
Action: X - In order to speak to NPCs
Pick Up: B - Possibly the best button to assign pick up to after all other hotkeys/combos have been assigned.
Crawl: . (period) - Mapped to left stick down for easy access
Basic Attack: Right Button - This has been reassigned to the top right back paddle and is used for basic attacks along with faster mount speed.
Cancel: Y - In order to cancel screens/speech or access the end menu.

Menus:
mYt4f2G.png Zb3ejtl.png dqJs3XP.png

You have a lot of room for customisation here since these can be set up to how you prefer however, the chatpad can cover all the menus. I use the D-pad for the most important menus I like to access easily.

Misc:
IltT6M6.png

Zoom In and Zoom Out have been swapped to the bottom right back paddle + right directional joystick.

Gamepad Controls:
uikhjgK.png

Mouse Mode has been remapped to Swap Screen Button, Mouse Left-Click to Right Joystick Button and Mouse Right-Click to Top Left Back Paddle + Right Joystick Button.

Expressions:
XEKHCfh.png

I have these mapped out to my number buttons on the chatpad.

Sharpkeys:
svzvabI.png

This program will allow us to remap the additional keys on the chatpad. I have one of my programmable keys set to take a screen shot but it could be used for other useful actions like potions, fishing, etc.

Closing thoughts:

This setup took many hours to figure out so I hope it helps at least a few people out there looking to set up a gamepad in this game. While this is my configuration at the time of writing it is subject to change over time if I learn more or the Nexon devs open up the support/customisation further for gamepads. The overall cost is around £135 for the controller and software, or £162 with the chatpad as well, but could be brought down if you manage to source these for cheaper elsewhere (for example, I picked up a Used - Like New Xbox One Elite controller from Amazon Warehouse Deals for £95). A quick shot out to my girlfriend, Jenn, for putting up with my hours spent doing this. If you see Bear in game on the EU server feel free to say hi, I'll likely be playing with this configuration.

Are you sure other controllers cannot do the same thing?

Positive. I spent a number of hours researching various controllers, their features and if compatible software would recognise their extra buttons separately. I tried a Logitech F310 and Razer Raiju with XPadder software. The additional buttons on the Razer Raiju are not supported by any software to the same extent as reWASD with the Xbox One Elite controller. Unfortunately, the Razer Raiju's extra buttons can only be reconfigured to face buttons on the gamepad - essentially like moving buttons around (a pointless endeavour in regards to what we want to accomplish). If you know of any controller or software that can do the same thing in this guide then please let me know.

One exception may be the Nacon Revolution Pro Controller 2 which has four additional buttons and software that can customise these buttons. It also has the advantage of a touchpad making mouse movements much more precise and laptop-like. Unfortunately, it has bad reviews of the placement of the additional buttons and does not support attachments like the Xbox One Elite Controller.

Guide Features to be added

Updated images and configuration upon release of the standard game mode.
LuminaEdgeSubglaciousMeridianJoweegaHowlyelazimi
  1. Did this guide help?17 votes
    1. Yes
       53% (9 votes)
    2. No
       47% (8 votes)

Comments

• JoweegaJoweega
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 400
    Have you had any problems with the Elite controller over the time you've owned it?

Immediately interested in your setup, a little set back by some apparent horror stories with faulty controllers not being back by Microsoft.
  • BattleDuckBattleDuck
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 825
    I use an Xbox One Controller (not elite) Don't need to pay for anything besides the controller. I regularly do well in Musking and MS2. This guide is good for pushing the limits of the controller. I feel the LB is a bit awkward though and put the least use skills there.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 3:56PM August 27, 2018
    Joweega wrote: »
    Have you had any problems with the Elite controller over the time you've owned it?

Immediately interested in your setup, a little set back by some apparent horror stories with faulty controllers not being back by Microsoft.

I was quite apprehensive to get one seeing all the memes and people displaying their faulty models. But then I watched a video by a man over at IGN who did a very indepth and personal review of the controller when it first came out and he couldn't stop praising it in a genuine manner - that was enough for me to take the plunge.

I bought a Used - Like new custom Xbox One Elite controller (custom skin) from Amazon warehouse deals for £95. I've had good experiences with Amazon warehouse in the past buying Used - Like new items, they always come in perfect condition with defects only to the packaging.

The controller is in perfect working order, no loose buttons as others have experienced. It is actually the best controller I've ever used. The only complaint is the sensitivity of the back paddles, specifically the bottom row, which are very easy to accidentally activate. But being careful and getting used to holding it you shouldn't accidentally activate them. But that's also an advantage to using the configuration I detailed above: the lower back paddles have been reconfigured in such a way that accidental activations don't activate anything at all since they are used for menus.
    Joweega
  • HangukjjangHangukjjang
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,055
    I never had a problem playing the game with a standard xbone controller, I don't even need that many buttons, I used left trigger+button for dashing/buffs and single buttons for macros, If i ever needed to map more keys i just used right stick since it doesn't have any function other than to map more keys
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,245
    I find a PS4 controller works great. Using DS4Windows you can even use the touchpad or the gyro sensors for mouse movement. (I have it set up so when I have a finger on the touchpad it will activate mouse movement with the gyro sensors and also change X to mouse left click and Circle to right click.) Plus using DS4Windows also means you can customize the controls quite extensively. This pretty much removes the need entirely for menu specific buttons. But if you wanted to, you could also change all the other buttons while touching the touchpad like I did for X and Circle to open specific menus for quick access.

If you are worried about touching the touchpad by accident when playing you could instead change it to actually pushing one of the touchpad buttons down. I never had that issue though.

I am probably going to try a lot of other things. Now the downside to using DS4Windows is the controller will be recognized as an xbox controller so it will show the wrong buttons in the game. I didn't have much issue with this.
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,875
    edited 1:53AM August 28, 2018
    Have you looked at Nacon's Pro Controller?
    It comes with a software to remap keys, an option to create macros and it has 4 extra keys on the back.
    I'm asking because I have one and you pretty much invalidated every controller out there, other than the Xbox Elite. I have yet tried to use ReWASD though, but I'm pretty sure it's not even needed since the controller has it's own software for remapping.
    I'll update once I try to mess around with it.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    I never had a problem playing the game with a standard xbone controller, I don't even need that many buttons, I used left trigger+button for dashing/buffs and single buttons for macros, If i ever needed to map more keys i just used right stick since it doesn't have any function other than to map more keys

I don't personally use in game macros for skills and found it kinda frustrating having to combo buttons to use even my most basic, high frequency skills hence the journey to find a gamepad, software and attachments that would get past these limitations. I could see macros helping out for those who use them.

I find a PS4 controller works great. Using DS4Windows you can even use the touchpad or the gyro sensors for mouse movement. (I have it set up so when I have a finger on the touchpad it will activate mouse movement with the gyro sensors and also change X to mouse left click and Circle to right click.) Plus using DS4Windows also means you can customize the controls quite extensively. This pretty much removes the need entirely for menu specific buttons. But if you wanted to, you could also change all the other buttons while touching the touchpad like I did for X and Circle to open specific menus for quick access.

If you are worried about touching the touchpad by accident when playing you could instead change it to actually pushing one of the touchpad buttons down. I never had that issue though.

I am probably going to try a lot of other things. Now the downside to using DS4Windows is the controller will be recognized as an xbox controller so it will show the wrong buttons in the game. I didn't have much issue with this.

That sounds pretty interesting regarding mouse movement. If there's one wish I had with xbox controllers would be to have some sort of touchpad feature. I gave up on the Razer Raiju (a PS4 style controller) because software wouldn't recognise its additional buttons separately. In the near future I will be purchasing a chatpad attachment for my xbox controller to configure menus, chat, and expressions to it effectively eliminating the need for gamepad combos for menus.

GunPowder wrote: »
    Have you looked at Nacon's Pro Controller?
    It comes with a software to remap keys, an option to create macros and it has 4 extra keys on the back.
    I'm asking because I have one and you pretty much invalidated every controller out there, other than the Xbox Elite. I have yet tried to use ReWASD though, but I'm pretty sure it's not even needed since the controller has it's own software for remapping.
    I'll update once I try to mess around with it.

I actually researched the Nacon quite a lot. I was comparing it to the Razer Raiju, its main competitor in a lot of reviews. I opted not to go for it because of the back button placement; I heard a lot of people complaining the unnatural placement of those additional buttons causing strains on their fingers. I saw that its software looked great though, probably giving a level of customization like the xbox one elite controller and reWASD. But specifically down to the extra button placement, I'd say the xbox one elite has the upperhand with the paddles. I also plan on buying a chatpad attachment for my xbox one elite controller which will allow me to use a mini keyboard to easy access chat, menus and expressions - I don't think the Nacon has that option.
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,875
    edited 2:39AM August 28, 2018
    ChillBear wrote: »
    I actually researched the Nacon quite a lot. I was comparing it to the Razer Raiju, its main competitor in a lot of reviews. I opted not to go for it because of the back button placement; I heard a lot of people complaining the unnatural placement of those additional buttons causing strains on their fingers. I saw that its software looked great though, probably giving a level of customization like the xbox one elite controller and reWASD. But specifically down to the extra button placement, I'd say the xbox one elite has the upperhand with the paddles. I also plan on buying a chatpad attachment for my xbox one elite controller which will allow me to use a mini keyboard to easy access chat, menus and expressions - I don't think the Nacon has that option.

I'll agree that 2 of the 4 back buttons aren't properly placed. I'll probably use them for commands I hardly use, just to free up space for useful ones.
    I have a chatpad for the PS4 controller, and I found it not very comfortable.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 2:42AM August 28, 2018
    GunPowder wrote: »
    I'll agree that 2 of the 4 back buttons aren't properly placed. I'll probably use them for commands I hardly use, just to free up space for useful ones.
    I have a chatpad for the PS4 controller, and I can tell you it's not very comfortable.

I also saw the Nacon has a touchpad, thats a one-up on the Xbox One Elite controller for mouse movement. But yeah you could probably make the two awkward buttons on the back of the Nacon used for something less frequent, like crawl or menus.

The nice thing about the Xbox One Elite controller is the amount of third party support. There's actually many models of third party chatpads of different style to try out on it. I will be going with the official one though because its apparently the most comfortable to use and also has 2 additional buttons programmable to any extra function. I'm not sure what I'll use those extra buttons for but I'll write about my experience when I receive it on Thursday.

Theres speculation going around about an upcoming Xbox One Elite Controller 2. I hope they add a touchpad to it and make the paddles a little less sensitive - it would be a perfect controller then.
    GunPowder
  • Takagii15Takagii15
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 450
    Can we use a controller and the keyboard at the same time? Like say I just plug in my xbox one controller and map it outside of maplestory the way I want with the keyboard still plugged in, can they be used together like that?
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Takagii15 wrote: »
    Can we use a controller and the keyboard at the same time? Like say I just plug in my xbox one controller and map it outside of maplestory the way I want with the keyboard still plugged in, can they be used together like that?

When I played, I was able to use both. So I would say yes.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Takagii15 wrote: »

Yeah you can. I tried it out but felt it was too awkward to use a joystick for movement and keyboard for buttons.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Updated the guide to include a chatpad attachment for the controller. The XBox One Chatpad is so useful, allowing easy usage of menus, expressions and two extra programmable buttons that can be used for other functions like fishing, potions, screenshots, whispers, etc.

I have reorganised the guide to include a section with and without a chatpad. Images and configuration will be updated when the game's standard game mode releases.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Bumping this so new players might find it useful. Updated the guide to official release. I am very satisfied with my current build. It is very comfortable and fluid for a controller.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Added a section on the Turbo feature in order to bypass the game's restriction on using a button hold for up to 30 seconds.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Added a section on the Turbo feature that allows you to stutter step/animation cancel for additional DPS. This is equivalent to using a macro on a keyboard. Also updated pictures to include Turbo on the physical Left and Right buttons.
  • HowlyeHowlye
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 815
    edited 3:24AM October 18, 2018
    Really great job here. i still find using the back paddles of my elite controller a bit annoying, but getting used to it after i saw your guide.
  • MeridianMeridian
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    edited 2:16PM October 29, 2018
    Had to log in to mention how much this guide has helped me. Thanks so much. Have been using since Mushking and still loving it :)
  • ChillBearChillBear
    edited 4:20PM October 29, 2018
    Glad it could help :) I'm using it all the time as well. Using some different features like hotkeying discord mute button to the chatpad configurable buttons.
  • LuucLuuc
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 400
    edited 2:47AM November 3, 2018
    Hi there,

Im completely new to the game but I'm having some problems settings up the controller >_>. I've used your setup but I cannot seem to bind any button combos in the controls menu. For instance, RB + Right stick Up, it just stops after I press down RB. I seem to have fixed this by restarting the game

And how do I set up the turbo in the reWASD, when spinning around on my berserker it keeps stopping every now and then, anything I can do to fix that?

Thanks in advance for any answers :)