Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[NEWS] MapleStory 2 Design Lab

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 69,125
Administrator
edited 11:28AM August 22, 2018 in Official News
You can design your own outfits, you can craft special decorations, you can build an entire house programmed with special switches and levers... and in not too long a time, you'll be able to design your very own dungeon runs with MapleStory 2's Design Lab!

T15YA2G.jpg

Utilizing the power of the Lua programming language and MapleStory 2's in-game tools, you'll be given access to everything you need to tell your own stories, create dangerous mazes, or craft the ultimate combat challenges! The possibilities of what you'll be able to create are nearly endless.

Design Lab will arrive sometime after MapleStory 2's official launch. When we get closer to Design Lab's launch, we'll hold a special Closed Beta, inviting creative souls and talented designers to give Design Lab a spin. If you'd like to give it a try and help us polish it up, submit your email address in the form below!

Learn more here >> http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/34572
1skanderSterling_AislingClericeru

Comments

• DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,510
    Looking forward to see what tools you will be giving the community to work with. Also, I hope the community can inspire you to design some dungeons that have a broader variety of content instead of being practically nothing but boss fights?
    1skanderClericeru
  • mewskittymewskitty
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 825
    Will we getting any compensation?
    Lily_
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,875
    Community inspired content has huge potential.
    Looking forward to seeing crazy UGC questlines and dungeons incorporated in-game!
  • hankiepixhankiepix
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,635
    I am actually quite excited about this. It will be cool to see how creative people can get when making these dungeons and such, though I'm wondering how much lua you need to know to use it because I guess I should brush up on it. Anyone know?
  • CandleCandle
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,625
    Is this the thread for questions or will there be an FAQ at a later date?
  • R1v3r5R1v3r5
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 710
    This will definitely make a wider spectrum of creativity. Although Lua programming, sounds a bit difficult. Is it possible to use a simpler way?
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    edited 4:33PM August 29, 2018
    Since you're making the effort by developing new tools for UGC, does that mean you'll fix the exploit that let's people rip other users designs for free?

I know UGC is pretty much dead in other versions of the game, due to users mainly buying P2W vanity items with stats, but those items won't be available in GMS2, which means UGC could still be a thing.

The exploit really puts me off from creating designs, as they'll likely get ripped and uploaded to the cash shop by someone else. I assume that will apply to Design Lab content as well, whether it's house designs or dungeons.

Please let us know what are your thoughts about this, even if you're just "looking into it". Keeping us in the dark is worse.
  • paipanloverpaipanlover
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,660
    edited 12:05AM August 30, 2018
    I wonder how limited the UG dungeons will be. I just imagine a dungeon with ~1000 monsters, 50 of each in a tiny room/area, and each monster can be one hitted by a "weak"(blue gear) lvl 50 character. Then it depends on the exp/meso per monster, if its abuseable or not. Or if monster X drops a special item more frequently than others, like the new pet catch thingy item. I would love to create such a "stupid" dungeon(massacre) and I would call it 'Against the Horde'(WOW pun) or "Extreme Hunting Ground". Same with mini or maxi bosses. Limited? Is the action inside the dungeon fun or boring? Sometimes it doesnt need a story, if the action is right and fun.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,315
    GunPowder wrote: »
    Since you're making the effort by developing new tools for UGC, does that mean you'll fix the exploit that let's people rip other users designs for free?

I know UGC is pretty much dead in other versions of the game, due to users mainly buying P2W vanity items with stats, but those items won't be available in GMS2, which means UGC could still be a thing.

The exploit really puts me off from creating designs, as they'll likely get ripped and uploaded to the cash shop by someone else. I assume that will apply to Design Lab content as well, whether it's house designs or dungeons.

Please let us know what are your thoughts about this, even if you're just "looking into it". Keeping us in the dark is worse.

If you notice this type of behavior, you should report it based off the information of the first listing/creation date and the more recent copies.
    It's also quite possible that the item itself is anime inspired, and was reuploaded by someone else with a bit more experience, or a troll.
    Nexon has the ability to scan a player's inventory, so it may be possible to see who designed the UGC first, and who copied it.
    If there are two different quality anime designs up on the Cash Shop, it's up to Nexon's discretion to decide on either removing the promotion from the item, or removing it from the Cash Shop altogether.
  • GunPowderGunPowder
    edited 9:38AM August 30, 2018

If you notice this type of behavior, you should report it based off the information of the first listing/creation date and the more recent copies.
    It's also quite possible that the item itself is anime inspired, and was reuploaded by someone else with a bit more experience, or a troll.
    Nexon has the ability to scan a player's inventory, so it may be possible to see who designed the UGC first, and who copied it.
    If there are two different quality anime designs up on the Cash Shop, it's up to Nexon's discretion to decide on either removing the promotion from the item, or removing it from the Cash Shop altogether.

Why not just work on a fix so ripping isn't an option?
    Also, people might just use a ripped skin for themselves without uploading it to the cash shop, which is still not okay.

By "ripping", I mean using software to steal designs. Nexon should already be aware of the exploit and how it's done.
  • AieAie
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,310

Also, people might just use a ripped skin for themselves without uploading it to the cash shop, which is still not okay.

By "ripping", I mean using software to steal designs. Nexon should already be aware of the exploit and how it's done.

as an artist this worries me a lot that you can do this :S i plan on selling my designs that i spend hours if not days on in the future once the game releases and i dont want someone stealing my work and reselling it if a certain design gets popular
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,315
    Aie wrote: »

as an artist this worries me a lot that you can do this :S i plan on selling my designs that i spend hours if not days on in the future once the game releases and i dont want someone stealing my work and reselling it if a certain design gets popular

Like I said before, please send in any reports with a detailed explanation, and hopefully by launch it will be fixed.
    Otherwise, welcome kiddos... to Nexon. Nothing here has ever been perfect or unhackable.
    Enjoy this meme for now.
    HarmlessAptBluegill-max-1mb.gif

• qbicfeetqbicfeet
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 695
    edited 5:46AM September 1, 2018

As frustrating as it is, it's impossible to prevent people from extracting image data that has been loaded into the RAM of their systems. Encryption or obfuscation won't work because the textures will still have to be decrypted/deobfuscated to show correctly in-game. The only way to combat texture ripping is to implement a sophisticated system that tracks down and finds ripped textures, whether manual and done by humans or automated.

The Design Lab likely won't have the same problems since (as far as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong), all creations submitted will go through Nexon first, which should make it harder for straight up stolen content to get into the game.
    GunPowderXtony
  • DanixieWritesDanixieWrites
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,060
    I'm suuuper excited for Design Lab. As a writer, I want to add whole adventures, beyond massive killing grounds (which would be fun but wouldn't fill my need for creating story lol), but I'm also looking forward to seeing what others come up with! :D
  • hankiepixhankiepix
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,635
    R1v3r5 wrote: »
    This will definitely make a wider spectrum of creativity. Although Lua programming, sounds a bit difficult. Is it possible to use a simpler way?

Lua is probably one of the simplest languages there is ( though the syntax/grammar is long) , in fact its also used in Roblox games. So if 8 year olds can use it, I'm sure everyone who is interested could probably learn Lua in a couple of days or hours if they have some programming know how already and/or determined enough. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, there is even one channel that teaches Lua in an hour, though everyone learns differently. Though I recommend practicing before the design lab is out, since gaining confidence in programming is usually what holds people back .
    You don't have to learn everything, just know the intermediates probably, as after that you can use cheat sheets which are basically dictionaries of code.

Hope that helps.
    ArurauneGunPowder
  • PatrickJSPatrickJS
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
  • QuackselQuacksel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 520
    puuuush, plis give us this piece of gold O_O

i would even give u a red crystal fragment ! D:
    Aruraune