Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.
Closed

MichaelMouseStar - Mod Application

Comments

• MichaelMouseMichaelMouse
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,080
    I will even take it to DMs

He's not wrong, he goes and DMs people to leave a nice reply on this application lol. imo not something any moderator should be doing.

I've only done that to one person and after learning my lesson and being given criticism, I have stopped. I only respectfully ask for criticism and for the person to simply read it.
  • ColonelKitKatColonelKitKat
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 725
    Putting drama/witch-hunting that's been happening on this thread and in other places aside, I think you'd make a pretty good Discord VFM as you're always active, helpful, and kind. I agree that there were things that you did that may not be considered "mod-worthy," but I can see clear visible effort you're putting into to change and try to make up for those things. I hope Cuddles notices the efforts and gives you a chance.
  • KrazKraz
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 860
    I voted no, you seem like a good person but also quite immature so I don’t think you’d do well with the pressures and responsibilities of being a mod.
  • ThighnessThighness
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    I don't know Mouse on a personal level, but my short interactions with him have been friendly. He seems very fit for the position.
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,125
    Just for those that don't visit the discord, I don't know will Mouse be back but for the time being he has been banned off the discord server. For what Mouse can disclose himself if he chooses to.
  • HeavenlyBeingHeavenlyBeing
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 740
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Just for those that don't visit the discord, I don't know will Mouse be back but for the time being he has been banned off the discord server. For what Mouse can disclose himself if he chooses to.

Really shady to post this under his application, the people selecting the new vfm's are obviously aware of everyones trackrecord. It's OK to talk about his current ban, but this isn't the place
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,245
    edited 12:21PM September 16, 2018
    I am going to have to vote no. I don't really know you much if at all. But from what I can gather here in the comments of this thread, it really doesn't seem like you would make a good fit to be a mod, at this time.

I say at this time mainly because I do absolutely believe people can change. But I do not believe we should just assume a person has changed simply because they say they have. It takes much more than that. Change isn't something that you can do just with the snap of your fingers. This is more or less something you will need to show people. When is it enough? I really can't say. But first impressions are everything and let's just say, it's probably going to take more time than you probably would wish.

To be frank, the idea that you even use "People can change" or "I can change" as an excuse for past behaviors is something that you shouldn't do. You shouldn't be the one to decide if you changed or not. Actions speak louder than words. Don't say you have changed, show it.

Personally, I believe only very specific people should ever be moderators in a forum. Those who more or less have never caused too many problems and have been a help. I think it's too risky to give power to those who are questionable. I have said it to Mirta000 and I will say it to you. There is a reason I, myself, would never apply to be a mod. I have a lot of shortcomings in the way I respond to people. I get very invested and admit I sometimes care more about being right than how someone else feels (I am actually unsure how it's a bad thing, but I am told it is). Can I change? Maybe. But it takes time. There isn't some off switch.

So when you apply to be a mod you need to really ask yourself, have you done enough to convince people you have changed? Can you truly say to yourself those things will never happen again? I would argue that it's not possible, with how much time has passed, for you to truly know that.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the matter. I say stick around for a while. Maybe you will change people's minds someday and make a good fit for a mod in the future.

Ahh, I probably should have read this first before writing all that. Well, it still stands I think. If anything, sort of proves my point.
  • mirta000mirta000

Really shady to post this under his application, the people selecting the new vfm's are obviously aware of everyones trackrecord. It's OK to talk about his current ban, but this isn't the place

I wondered should I post or not for a while now, as mostly everyone from discord knows, so it is not necessary. The reason why I left the message is that a lot of people that vote for a VFM are not part of the official discord and it kind of helps to know that if Mouse would get elected tomorrow, he couldn't exactly perform him duties as he is not part of the discord anymore :/ I'm kind of hoping that it is not a permanent ban though, as I know very little about it myself.

I don't really see it as shady. There is a post in here written by a GM that specifically says "However, in terms of transparency, I believe those who apply to be moderator are directly opening themselves up to more scrutinous investigation. This also means that some things may surface that happen or have happened that may influence the decision made."

Trying to apply to be a moderator pretty much forfeits your right to have such things private simply for the reason that this system includes user voting. If the GMs wanted to uphold a privacy sort of thing here, then users wouldn't be able to vote with confidence. In which case they should just not do user voting at all.
  • SrslyrlySrslyrly
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,120
    edited 1:03PM September 16, 2018

As HeavenlyBeing mentioned, the Forum is NOT the place for that. Provide constructive feedback if you have anything to share with this applicant.

Please refrain from any type of call outs -- subsequent posts will be removed.
    edited 1:34PM September 16, 2018
    Srslyrly wrote: »

As HeavenlyBeing mentioned, the Forum is NOT the place for that. Provide constructive feedback if you have anything to share with this applicant.

Please refrain from any type of call outs -- subsequent posts will be removed.

And so the mod contradicts the other mod. Ignore my previous comment then.
  • EternalxEternalx
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,895
    This thread is hilarlious lol... I don't know you but you seem to handle yourself well in this thread.

The same cannot be said about other applicants.
  • MichaelMouseMichaelMouse
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,080
    Eternalx wrote: »
    This thread is hilarlious lol... I don't know you but you seem to handle yourself well in this thread.

The same cannot be said about other applicants.

Thanks, it's hell of a rollercoaster, but just another responsibility I have to hold.
  • ColonelKitKatColonelKitKat
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 725
    This thread seems to have quite a few irrelevant witch-hunting related comments, which I find strange that they still haven't been deleted. However, you've responded quite well to all of them and have been handling the entire situation with maturity. I've heard about your ban situation and it seems you made a genuine mistake that a VFM acted too rashly on, which further supports what you said in your application. I really hope to see you become a VFM, as I see great potential.
    edited 6:56AM September 17, 2018
    I really don't understand the point of users being able to comment and vote on these moderator applications if I am being honest. It seems almost like an entire waste of time.

First of all, moderators should always be handpicked which I am sure they are anyway. But these type of threads literally goes against one of the rules touted so often in the forum. No witch hunting. But in order to reveal whether or not someone is good or bad for the position you sort of have to. If a person has been banned, I do think that is very relevant information, I would even argue that we should even know why so we can decide whether it was a heavy-handed mod or if the ban was deserved. If we cannot have this information, then there is no way the users can even make a good judgment call on whether or not a person should or shouldn't be a mod. Also, if it was heavy-handed, then we could also discuss maybe these applications are not working very well if they are getting unqualified people becoming mods.

It becomes more about short periods of personal experiences with that user, and that is often never a good way to judge someone. Like some people vote yes because ... "oh I have interacted with them a couple times and they are nice." Do people not understand what a moderator is? Do they not understand that interacting with people for a short period of time isn't how you obtain a good representation of who would make a good moderator?

Then you have people pointing out issues with another. And instead of some accepting that this stuff happened, they consider it an attack against them and then say they are handling it well. That is like someone being called out as a thief and then someone sticking up for them because they are handling it well ... you have my vote. >.> WTH is wrong with people ... my god.
    mirta000PetalmagicXphobia
  • XphobiaXphobia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,000
    edited 11:54AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
  • SonichackedyouSonichackedyou
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 760
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,295
    Forum Moderator
    edited 1:48AM September 18, 2018
    I really don't understand the point of users being able to comment and vote on these moderator applications if I am being honest. It seems almost like an entire waste of time.

I can't and won't reveal the process of how a VFM gets picked, but I can tell you that the way we publicly handle applications says a lot about who the person is. And besides that, it is a small reflection of how well suited that person would be if the community were to make the final decision.

However, let me also point out that none of the above are deciding factors. Cuddles has the final say and will add all input up in order to make up her mind. As it should be.

OT: Let's try not to derail the thread again. This is about Mouse' application.
  • BluclueBluclue
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,060
    edited 5:50AM September 18, 2018
    I would like to clear some stuff out regarding mouse because honestly, i feel like there is a lack of transparency here and it reeks of sabotage and agenda.

Regarding spamming:
    First off, while mouse is a spammer, i notice he usually spams in response to what he feels probably feels is 'toxic behaviour' such as during heated arguments. Its annoying and misdirected but ill tip my hat off with regards to his agenda. Since at the end of the day, his intentions are good.

Regarding his discord ban:
    From what i heard, it was because he accidentally posted a RMT site on discord. The whole situation sounds ridiculous. The best you can say about it would be that he could be abit more careful about the links he shares if he ever does become a VFM.

Personally, mouse gets in the way of my heated discussions but i dislike the way information is being used to push opinion and agenda more than the fit mouse throws when people start arguing.
  • mirta000mirta000
    Bluclue wrote: »
    Regarding his discord ban:
    From what i heard, it was because he accidentally posted a RMT site on discord. The whole situation sounds ridiculous. The best you can say about it would be that he could be abit more careful about the links he shares if he ever does become a VFM.

How can you become a VFM if you're perma banned from the spot you want to exclusively VFM in? That was kind of my whole point of mentioning the ban in the first place. I'm just really confused what the process is that could allow you to become a VFM after being permanently banned.
This discussion has been closed.