Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

mirta000#9571 - (Discord) Mod Application

mirta000mirta000
Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
Posts: 261
Member
edited 5:45AM September 12, 2018 in Moderator Applications
A brief description of why you think you are a right fit to become a Moderator

I can catch a lot of messages that break the discord rules as they happen as I lurk there often. Currently the moderators can not be there all the time. Messages such as altered swears and lewd things slip past the bot and there is no-one to reprimand that, despite it being one of the forum rules. I would follow the currently defined forum rules to a T and I would not be afraid to enforce them precisely because I'm no-ones buddy there.

edit: some seem to have interpreted this line as "ban lots of people". I don't want to go in and ban large majority of active users, I want to uphold the rules by deleting inappropriate messages and issuing warnings where absolutely necessary. I don't think the discord necessarily needs to resort to bans unless people repeatedly rule break a lot.

What do you hope to achieve and provide for the community as a Moderator

I hope to reduce rule breaking on the official Discord specifically.

Do you have any experience moderating for other communities? If yes, please explain

I have moderated a couple of very small, 200 people guild communities through out my life. Not much of experience really.


discord full name: mirta000#9571
  1. Am I fit to be a Moderator for MapleStory 2?94 votes
    1. yes
       16% (15 votes)
    2. no
       84% (79 votes)

Comments

  • NunaNuna
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 20
    Member
    Your view on things are quite controversial and may clash with other members as it has in the past so for that reason i vote no.
    TetsumiBeezeeSephMoistCrowveGsitariusAkuma524SeekerScorpioVixieMichaelMouseSnackCakesand 4 others.
  • BeezeeBeezee
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,260
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited 5:00AM August 18, 2018
    I am not interested in having a carebear SJW official MS2 discord with mods that cant take a joke, or think the word "gay" is offensive so no I dont think you're fit to be a mod
    CrowveAkuma524NunaSeekerScorpioVixie2DMichaelMouseyukheiiXtonyPinchand 2 others.
  • skromezskromez
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 745
    Posts: 4
    Member
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    edited 5:09AM August 18, 2018
    Nuna wrote: »
    Your view on things are quite controversial and may clash with other members as it has in the past so for that reason i vote no.

    I want to explain a few things:

    I'm applying, because I want to essentially be a bot. I want to clean up this:
    FcUrwpb.png

    (interestingly enough it gets even worse if you search for the correct spelling of the male organ).

    currently there are absolutely no moderators around. And if you use the search function to search for any swear word, for example, that is spelled incorrectly, you will find 2 months worth of entries.

    Why me? Because for most mod applications this is a popularity contest. They don't want to upset the community by taking a very harsh stance in enforcing the rules (this is a rule by the way):
    - Heroic Maplers avoid using profanity and words that are offensive.

    I don't care if I upset anyone. In fact, if I could just clean the discord up, I will be alright with not being vocal on it at all and being a silent observer. And if anyone else wants to work long hours being a human bot, by all means, take them. However I did not see many people offering themselves.
    DanDKDueroGricelyXtonyLaurieMoon
  • BeezeeBeezee
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,260
    Posts: 21
    Member
    I do agree that most mod applications are just people looking for attention/power so they feel important or they think they will get some benefits for being a mod, but the game is +18 the discord should be too, I dont see the point of censoring swear words.
    JirachuNunaAlziiVixieSnackCakesyukheiiBagel_MS2SisterFister
  • CrowveCrowve
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 695
    Posts: 14
    Member
    Thanks for this meme anyway :thumbsup:
    hankiepix
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    edited 5:19AM August 18, 2018
    Beezee wrote: »
    I do agree that most mod applications are just people looking for attention/power so they feel important or they think they will get some benefits for being a mod, but the game is +18 the discord should be too, I dont see the point of censoring swear words.

    I don't think game is +18, I think it's Teen :)

    Regardless I have a suggestion thread going on about moderation and 2 out of 3 of my points are not currently moderatable things, but rather my own personal opinion (which I would not be moderating) unless they were made into a rule, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to open one thread too saying that you think swearwords should not be moderatable and that discord should be 18+ ^^
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 29,105
    Posts: 2,112
    Member
    I think a lot of people replying to this thread are being offensive for no reason, also you are not really contributing anything constructive to it.

    If you have objective reasoning as to why a person is unqualified, you might up to come up with some better examples than 'controversial'. For example, when you go around and call other people "SJW" and advocate for the rights to swear and meme, you aren't really making yourself look very mature. You really aren't.

    If you think OP is unfit for moderation, you may want to provide some actual examples of scenarios where OPs judgement can be clouded.

    From seeing how he's dealing with your provocative attacks in a calm manner, currently OP seems a lot more mature than people defending the 'right to troll'.
    Srslyrlymirta000NunaDueroSubglaciousGricelyXtonySisterFister
  • NunaNuna
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 20
    Member
    DanDK wrote: »
    I think a lot of people replying to this thread are being offensive for no reason, also you are not really contributing anything constructive to it.

    If you have objective reasoning as to why a person is unqualified, you might up to come up with some better examples than 'controversial'. For example, when you go around and call other people "SJW" and advocate for the rights to swear and meme, you aren't really making yourself look very mature. You really aren't.

    If you think OP is unfit for moderation, you may want to provide some actual examples of scenarios where OPs judgement can be clouded.

    From seeing how he's dealing with your provocative attacks in a calm manner, currently OP seems a lot more mature than people defending the 'right to troll'.

    @DanDK I would link it here(video) but i don't think that's allowed and i'm not sure if the thread is still up but OP is known for complaining about things that are p2w when they're not p2w at all and wishes to dumb down "harder" content for casual players which will ruin gameplay for those who put time and effort into certain content. That left a bad impression on most people including me so I stand by my No vote. Yw for the clarification.
    SeekerScorpioVixieXxPoseidonxXSnackCakesyukheii
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    Nuna wrote: »

    @DanDK I would link it here(video) but i don't think that's allowed and i'm not sure if the thread is still up but OP is known for complaining about things that are p2w when they're not p2w at all and wishes to dumb down "harder" content for casual players which will ruin gameplay for those who put time and effort into certain content. That left a bad impression on most people including me so I stand by my No vote. Yw for the clarification.

    I am against paid revives and merret exchange.
    I only made a video on merret revives.
    One of my suggestions for merret revives was to just remove them all together, which actually would not modify the difficulty in any way, if anything it would make the game harder.
    I have another thread about it being nice if there was an alternative way to gear for those that still would like to try and keep up, but those that don't raid or PvP. This is normally so that if one decides to raid later, they wouldn't have to spend months trying to catch up when everyone has already stopped doing the old content. It also gives people something to aim for.

    None of these threads or my opinions are anything outside being mere suggestions. As it is CBT still I thought it would be okay to give suggestions. I won't be making complaints past release, as I had the chance to have my say already.
    DanDK
  • FictionFiction
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 740
    Posts: 6
    Member
    edited 5:05AM August 22, 2018
    Like the other people mentioned think your too controversial and take things way too seriously to be an official mod. The impression I get of you is you just wanting that extra power to ban or mute users in the official discord by will. You say you care about LGBT rights and post things to say you want mods to do more about when people say things that might offend that community. Yet here you are on this screenshot saying things that are completely offense towards Christians and maybe some Jewish players because you denounce their god and parts of their religion in a open chat.
    SVJHS7I https://imgur.com/7lqPcGD
    fIZLY49 https://imgur.com/a/g4U4UUd

    Don't think your ever gonna be qualified hun.

    SnackCakesyukheiiNuna
  • SonFableSonFable
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 865
    Posts: 20
    Member
    You want to keep the internet and the kids safe? please never use Google.
    MistyFableVixieSnackCakesyukheiiNuna
  • MistyFableMistyFable
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    Posts: 20
    Member
    The real question is can you see the difference between having fun with eachother with swearing and making fun of someone?
    SnackCakesVixieyukheiihankiepix
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    edited 8:18AM August 22, 2018
    Fiction wrote: »
    Like the other people mentioned think your too controversial and take things way too seriously to be an official mod. The impression I get of you is you just wanting that extra power to ban or mute users in the official discord by will.

    See this answer:
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Regardless I have a suggestion thread going on about moderation and 2 out of 3 of my points are not currently moderatable things, but rather my own personal opinion (which I would not be moderating) unless they were made into a rule, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to open one thread too saying that you think swearwords should not be moderatable and that discord should be 18+ ^^

    Mods abide by rules. You're not all powerful by a mod and in most discord servers if you abuse your power once, you're out. If I wanted to throw myself out of the discord server, I would have done so myself.

    Yes, there were a discussion about religion on the server a long time ago. Yes, I participated. I also participated in discussions about flat earthers and people that may believe that there's only 7 million people in the world. The message from those messages of mine was not "do not believe in religion", but "surely you don't believe absolutely everything that is in the book and can see how it had to be intertwined with myth and legend"?
    MistyFable wrote: »
    The real question is can you see the difference between having fun with eachother with swearing and making fun of someone?

    The rule in the discord specifically states no swearing at all. Hence why there's a bot in place. Unfortunately it does not block absolutely everything. As for contextual differences, it is easy to tell apart a Rooster from a male apendage even if you can't put it into the blocked word list :)
  • MistyFableMistyFable
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    Posts: 20
    Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Nuna wrote: »
    Your view on things are quite controversial and may clash with other members as it has in the past so for that reason i vote no.

    I want to explain a few things:

    I'm applying, because I want to essentially be a bot. I want to clean up this:
    FcUrwpb.png

    (interestingly enough it gets even worse if you search for the correct spelling of the male organ).

    currently there are absolutely no moderators around. And if you use the search function to search for any swear word, for example, that is spelled incorrectly, you will find 2 months worth of entries.

    Why me? Because for most mod applications this is a popularity contest. They don't want to upset the community by taking a very harsh stance in enforcing the rules (this is a rule by the way):
    - Heroic Maplers avoid using profanity and words that are offensive.

    I don't care if I upset anyone. In fact, if I could just clean the discord up, I will be alright with not being vocal on it at all and being a silent observer. And if anyone else wants to work long hours being a human bot, by all means, take them. However I did not see many people offering themselves.

    But as a mod you need to care about upsetting people. A mod is there to keep the communitu fun and playful. I think you take this all to seriously. It's not about clearing the discord, it's about keeping the community.
    SnackCakesVixieyukheii
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    MistyFable wrote: »
    But as a mod you need to care about upsetting people. A mod is there to keep the communitu fun and playful. I think you take this all to seriously. It's not about clearing the discord, it's about keeping the community.

    Currently the discord has a backup of thousands of people trying to get in, however any joining pretty much is suspended due to current chaos. At least that was how it was the last time I checked.

    Rules have to be followed. I were in massive The Sims discord, there was also a rule for no swearing. And people did follow it. Why? Because if the game is not 18+ you, as a company, can not risk exposing minors to things that you should not be exposing minors to. While in-game you often get a "online interaction is not rated", often times online interaction is still moderated the same way that you would moderate anything for the age range that you're releasing it to. To not do so can have catastrophic consequences to the company itself as in the end, they're going to be the ones that will need to respond if anything is reported directly up to discord.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,850
    Posts: 253
    Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    MistyFable wrote: »
    But as a mod you need to care about upsetting people. A mod is there to keep the communitu fun and playful. I think you take this all to seriously. It's not about clearing the discord, it's about keeping the community.

    Currently the discord has a backup of thousands of people trying to get in, however any joining pretty much is suspended due to current chaos. At least that was how it was the last time I checked.

    Rules have to be followed. I were in massive The Sims discord, there was also a rule for no swearing. And people did follow it. Why? Because if the game is not 18+ you, as a company, can not risk exposing minors to things that you should not be exposing minors to. While in-game you often get a "online interaction is not rated", often times online interaction is still moderated the same way that you would moderate anything for the age range that you're releasing it to. To not do so can have catastrophic consequences to the company itself as in the end, they're going to be the ones that will need to respond if anything is reported directly up to discord.

    I would like to note that a VFM posted on one of your threads about this (looking for it atm) saying that "thousands" of people coming in is a huge exaggeration. I also see you complain on the MS2 discord a lot...so I voted no. As a fellow lurker, Mods do their best, I do think they might need a couple more mods to catch lewd things, but you also gotta be flexible. If you are gonna be as strict as you make yourself sound, its not going to be received well by the community. I used to follow the same sort of Moderating philosophy and it did not go well.

    To follow up, most of the MS2 related age polls I have seen indicate a young-adult audience being the majority, and in my own personal experience I have only seen a couple teens/pre-teens vs many, MANY 20+ adults.

    Part of my own Mod application is that I am a fun person. I like to interact with the community, but I do know when you gotta draw the line and throw the rules into play. While I have not become a VFM on either MS1 or MS2, I still try to uphold being active and fun. I also lurk a lot, and yeah, I see stuff that is questionable. You know what I do? contact a moderator about it, take screenshots as evidence. Even if you aren't a mod you can still do something to help them out.
    MistyFableMichaelMouseSnackCakesVixieBagel_MS2
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,935
    Posts: 261
    Member
    edited 10:43AM August 22, 2018
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    MistyFable wrote: »
    But as a mod you need to care about upsetting people. A mod is there to keep the communitu fun and playful. I think you take this all to seriously. It's not about clearing the discord, it's about keeping the community.

    Currently the discord has a backup of thousands of people trying to get in, however any joining pretty much is suspended due to current chaos. At least that was how it was the last time I checked.

    Rules have to be followed. I were in massive The Sims discord, there was also a rule for no swearing. And people did follow it. Why? Because if the game is not 18+ you, as a company, can not risk exposing minors to things that you should not be exposing minors to. While in-game you often get a "online interaction is not rated", often times online interaction is still moderated the same way that you would moderate anything for the age range that you're releasing it to. To not do so can have catastrophic consequences to the company itself as in the end, they're going to be the ones that will need to respond if anything is reported directly up to discord.

    I would like to note that a VFM posted on one of your threads about this (looking for it atm) saying that "thousands" of people coming in is a huge exaggeration. I also see you complain on the MS2 discord a lot...so I voted no. As a fellow lurker, Mods do their best, I do think they might need a couple more mods to catch lewd things, but you also gotta be flexible. If you are gonna be as strict as you make yourself sound, its not going to be received well by the community. I used to follow the same sort of Moderating philosophy and it did not go well.

    To follow up, most of the MS2 related age polls I have seen indicate a young-adult audience being the majority, and in my own personal experience I have only seen a couple teens/pre-teens vs many, MANY 20+ adults.

    Part of my own Mod application is that I am a fun person. I like to interact with the community, but I do know when you gotta draw the line and throw the rules into play. While I have not become a VFM on either MS1 or MS2, I still try to uphold being active and fun. I also lurk a lot, and yeah, I see stuff that is questionable. You know what I do? contact a moderator about it, take screenshots as evidence. Even if you aren't a mod you can still do something to help them out.

    I also PM mods quite a bit. I don't understand though why this is the only discord that seems to have issues following rules and will defend braking rules so adamantly. You like it or not, these are the rules:
    - Heroic Maplers avoid using profanity and words that are offensive.
    - Good rapport amongst your fellow Maplers is key to keeping Tria and Maple World safe! Maplers should never harass, flame, or troll others.
    - A true Mapler never makes racist, derogatory, and threatening comments towards their fellow Maplers.
    - Maplers are helpful and courteous. They always provide constructive feedback and respectfully disagree with their fellow Maplers.
    - Discussing inappropriate content or posting sexual images on the discord channel is frowned upon and is unbecoming of a hero of Maple World...
    - Posting information regarding unofficial servers is strictly forbidden.
    - Do not post data-mined, 3rd party, or self promoting content on official platforms.
    - Witch Hunts or call out threads against other Maplers, VFMs, CMs and GMs are not permitted.
    - Forums and Discord Ban discussions are not permitted on the forums. For Ban appeals, please seek out the CM to discuss a possible return via Private Message on the forums.
    - Do not post any malicious links on the forums.

    As a VFM you're required to uphold these rules. If you can not uphold said rules because of leniency and bias to the community, I would say you can not be a good VFM. If you believe that something should not be a rule, politely put in a suggestion rather than break it or help breaking it.
  • MistyFableMistyFable
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    Posts: 20
    Member


    I also PM mods quite a bit. I don't understand though why this is the only discord that seems to have issues following rules and will defend braking rules so adamantly.


    You don't have to tell us the rules and this is not the only discord with issues following rules. See it like the world, there are many types of people and always people breaking the rules. Doesn't mean we have to clear the world, like the discord doesn't have to be cleared. Like I said, I think you take this too seriously Mirta.
    MichaelMouseSnackCakesVixieBagel_MS2
  • MistyFableMistyFable
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    Posts: 20
    Member
    edited 2:02PM August 22, 2018

    " what you answered: I also PM mods quite a bit. I don't understand though why this is the only discord that seems to have issues following rules and will defend braking rules so adamantly."


    You don't have to tell us the rules and this is not the only discord with issues following rules. See it like the world, there are many types of people and always people breaking the rules. Doesn't mean we have to clear the world, like the discord doesn't have to be cleared. Like I said, I think you take this too seriously Mirta.
    MichaelMouse