Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Class Balancing (Thief buff?)

ShawnyyShawnyy
Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,375
edited 1:54PM August 12, 2018 in Thief
So I have been thinking about what class I wanted to play when launch happens as most of us have thinking about as well. Doing my research about some of the classes at the top of my list though I came to the disturbing truth that maybe the game really only has 7 options. I say this because virtually every source you can find the Thief class is completely shitted on. And I mean like a full blown pants down on head. Personally I've tried the class out and I have to say I enjoy the playstyle of the class because of the classes I play in other games and such and it is a little disturbing that I have come to the realization that if you pick Thief, you will be kicked out of parties for important dungeons because that class sucks that bad and is lacking that horrible (unless you are strictly playing with friends). I was wondering if Nexon or maybe @NXACuddles had something to say about this to maybe give us some insight of what their intentions of for the class were and what role they thought it could play with the horrible capabilities it has. Now I know most people will say "oh well its good at pvp" but to be honest all the classes minus maybe archer can be good at pvp if you know your class well. So now if ALL the classes can be good in pvp but those classes are also really good in pve, why is Thief just absolute garbage? And now I have heard "oh but its good post-awakening" but the fact of the matter is there are other classes that are godly pre and post awakening so im just trying to understand the logic behind it or maybe there is something Nexon intended for the class that myself and or other players have been missing?

It seems that all of the other classes you think of have a very clear decisive role/job in having a spot in parties (adventure dungeons or chaos raids), but thief just seems to suck ass at everything except pvp. And then the icing on the cake is that its not even THAT much better at pvp than some of the other classes. Striker seems to be the pvp GOD class AND does half decent in raids as far as I have seen. I mean I understand that some games just have that one class that is a hard class but does tons of damage if you are good. The difference is that with this class, you need to be a god to do half decent damage just to KEEP UP with the other brain dead classes that most likely click 1 button. that to just makes absolutely no sense. And then not to mention its a close ranged melee class but is squishier than Spongebob AND does no damage... what? literally typing that makes absolutely no sense when trying to comprehend how the class is. In my mind a game would compensate a melee squishy class with loads of damage because of the little survivability but with this class its like no HP, no damage, no range (shortest in the game) and u literally have to sit on top of the boss just to tickle him while you have heavy gunner Jesus safe off in the distance dropping nukes on the boss's head doing the DEEPS. Even as I type this its kind of funny to try and comprehend what the hell they were thinking for the class and if they really thought it fit into some kind of meta or something. its like they don't even want you to play the class because everything the class can do, there is another class that does it way better OR just as good with absolutely no effort what so ever involved. I absolutely doubt Nexon would read this post and maybe think about buffing the class to make it even a viable class, so that it gets a fair shake as much as the other classes. The day that happens will most likely be the day the Sun stops spinning. What do you guys think about the class? do you think it deserves a buff? or should it stay banished in hell forever? And if you do think it should get some kind of a buff, what form do you think that should take?
LeobetaVoiaZekeCooper
  1. Deserving of a buff? (explain your choice down below)30 votes
    1. Yes
       90% (27 votes)
    2. No
       10% (3 votes)

Comments

• SoulXCloudSoulXCloud
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,075
    No idea about pre awakening thief but any class is viable for end game content, some classes like striker and thief you have to be really good with in order to do the same dps as say beserker or wizard, but everything is viable regardless of what anyone says. I've seen a striker in the hardest raid in the Korean version do the most dps, when apparently it is the worst class in pve. It probably does output the lowest damage which yes is an issue and is annoying but it still works. I am assuming you are asking this because you love thief and the answer to your question would be no, thief does not need a buff. I have no idea pre awakening but I am sure you can do the required dps in order to clear any end game content. I know that post awakening thief is considered godly but again, I have seen the lower end classes get the highest dps. Look at Aoi, a priest who got I believe the 3rd highest dps in the server? Not exactly sure but basically you will probably have a harder time then other classes yes, but I do not believe there is any reason to buff thief. Buffing them pre awakening would probably make them the strongest post awakening. rather see buffs for classes that clearly fall of over others if any at all. Don't really take my word for it since this is just more so my opinion, I really think anything works I just think some classes are extremely easy to do a insane amount of dps on then others.
    ShawnyyKallasbolder_tasteNightThief
  • ShawnyyShawnyy
    See Aoi was doing the 3rd highest dps in the server with legendary gear in a server where barely anyone had legendries. So I see your point but I don't think its valid. now in terms of post awakening is thief BETTER? yes but so is every single other class in the game. That response makes no sense because the logic is absolutely stupid log. What people are saying is "Oh the class is garbage pre awakening (which we wont have) but post awakening it does HALF DECENT damage if you are a god". I would like someone who types that sentence one of these days to actually read it and ask themselves how the hell that makes any sense. in my mind classes should be properly compensated with their pros and cons. With this class its ass backwards and yet no one seems to give 2 shits why and says "oh don't worry the class isn't AS post awakening but its still not as good". In a game if you have a close ranged melee class that has very little survivability, it should be compensated with a ton of damage to make up for it dying in 1 hit every time. especially when that class has the shortest range in the game. there is no reason a class like zerker should be doing GODLY damage while being in melee range AND has semi tankiness… that right there makes no sense. Heavy Gunner it makes sense that they do a lot of damage because they are squishy as so ofc they should get a damage compensation. For a class to be forced to sit on top of bosses, and sometimes are unable to even hit the boss due to the range restrictions, they should either have extreme survivability or have a ton of damage. Thief has neither of those. Then you have people saying "oh but its good in pvp so its fine". No not fine because all of the classes are good at pvp or can atleast hold their own. Then the 1 think thief is supposed to be shining at, its not even the best class at it because striker is pvp god apparently. All I am saying is that the devs or whoever is incharge of that stuff should take a second look at that class and see wth is going on. I wish we had a list to see the most played and least played classes and I think we would not be very surprised to see which classes are in what spots and know exactly why. But when you ask people and literally everyone in the game, NA, Korea, China all people in different regions cannot even come up with a reason to play the class or what the class is good at or why to even select the class? That to me is a big issue. In most MMOs even the garbage classes are good at something that makes them extremely viable or atleast another option. What im reading here is that "the class is but if you wait for post awakening thief its NOT AS but its still so yeah..."
    XreoXGuardianRS
  • XreoXXreoX
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 420
    edited 9:53PM August 14, 2018
    I completely agree, I think the Thief class needs a skill that creates synergy with other party members to make them a welcomed addition, as well as something that provides either more survive ability or higher Damage output. Personally I think mind breaker or back step need to have some invincibility frames. This would make the character able to survive "dicey " situations depending on the person's skill rather than by stat and proc chances. If not that, maybe a life steal passive that restores (.15%) HP on critical hits and boosts our critical hit chance a bit. For parties have Haste increase their speed by half of what it increases ours w/o the Sp cost for them, or apply poison to the party member's attacks. I'm not saying make the class a god, but re-work and buff the class in a way that makes them at least on par with others.

Edit: I actually found the roughly translated skills from awakening. The skill set seems to make more sense for a thief than what's currently in place but I'd have to actually use it. just wish we had this from the get go.
    Shawnyy
  • ShawnyyShawnyy
    its funny cuz their haste used to be a party buff but Nexon removed that for reasons even they prolly cant explain the reasoning behind.
    XreoXVoia
  • StarkusStarkus
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,760
    From an experience as a Thief for two years and playing on CBT2.
    It can be agreed that Thief could get a revamp of sorts, something to make it trustworthy and have a good name in this game.
    Everytime people bring up Thief in this community, they always say it is trash, or "just fun".
    This doesn't cut it, this is insulting, even if the class is fun, people are still willing to drop it. I remember when I first played the class after Berserker.
    I still have fun with this class to this day, and I can't see myself giving up on a class that takes some focus and skill, versus classes that may seem cool, but just take one key to hold and boom, it's over. (I'm talking about Berserkers)
    I agree with the points that Shawnyy and XeroX, Thief does need some kind of boost to be party worthy, a reason to be considered a class with some pros instead of only cons. I feel Thief having better invincibility would be nice, especially following the style of skills like Shadower or Blade Master, having a Shadow Partner, or a Steal skill that allows Thief to get Hp recovered from bosses, having a cooldown of maybe 15-30 seconds.
    Also, Meso Guard shouldn't be a waste of Skill Point, that is my one complaint, other than the devs removing Cunning Tactics chance from using Quick Step, very uncalled for.

One more thing, the awakening for Thief is very good, I enjoy both trees, and the assassination skill.
    However, nobody should wait that long to finally play Thief, or let this stop them from ever trying Thief.
    Please, give this class a chance, it is very enjoyable, and can be very useful at times with the poison stacking.
    With the correct knowledge, Thief can be very entertaining to witness, and could be a show off like class, but in a good way.
    VoiaXreoXNightThief
  • NightThiefNightThief
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 805
    Starkus wrote: »
    From an experience as a Thief for two years and playing on CBT2.
    It can be agreed that Thief could get a revamp of sorts, something to make it trustworthy and have a good name in this game.
    Everytime people bring up Thief in this community, they always say it is trash, or "just fun".
    This doesn't cut it, this is insulting, even if the class is fun, people are still willing to drop it. I remember when I first played the class after Berserker.
    I still have fun with this class to this day, and I can't see myself giving up on a class that takes some focus and skill, versus classes that may seem cool, but just take one key to hold and boom, it's over. (I'm talking about Berserkers)
    I agree with the points that Shawnyy and XeroX, Thief does need some kind of boost to be party worthy, a reason to be considered a class with some pros instead of only cons. I feel Thief having better invincibility would be nice, especially following the style of skills like Shadower or Blade Master, having a Shadow Partner, or a Steal skill that allows Thief to get Hp recovered from bosses, having a cooldown of maybe 15-30 seconds.
    Also, Meso Guard shouldn't be a waste of Skill Point, that is my one complaint, other than the devs removing Cunning Tactics chance from using Quick Step, very uncalled for.

One more thing, the awakening for Thief is very good, I enjoy both trees, and the assassination skill.
    However, nobody should wait that long to finally play Thief, or let this stop them from ever trying Thief.
    Please, give this class a chance, it is very enjoyable, and can be very useful at times with the poison stacking.
    With the correct knowledge, Thief can be very entertaining to witness, and could be a show off like class, but in a good way.

Exactly my point, people keep talking trash about the class, I say what F'ING EVER. I don't want too many people to play the class anyway, I have enough patience and faith to know that this class will be increadible in the future!
  • ShawnyyShawnyy
    unfortunately its not about what YOU want its about whats best for the game and have every class suitable in all aspects of the game so players may enjoy their playstyle and not be forced into the brain dead zerker category
  • PoppyBrosJrPoppyBrosJr
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Currently at lv 50 I think the best thing you can do is ignore any skill that has the word "poison" written on it and just focus solely on spamming Vicious Cut and Kicks.

I dont regret building a thief but I'm probably going to drop it for Rune Blade and not come back until the class gets new tools to play with.
  • MareSEphemeralMareSEphemeral
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,670
    My hands are legitimately starting to hurt from using thief lmao