Question: Illegal Songs?

MidbossMidboss
Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,670
edited 8:54PM July 31, 2018 in Music
I noticed similar to when people are making outfits, when you are about to create a song on MS2 you accept an agreement.

Are the rules for creating music sheets in MS2 similar to outfit creation.

TL:DR Rules for creating outfits
- Do not steal other people's stuff
- Do not use outfits created by other companies/irl people (in the case for music, songs such as the song of storm or a song from BTS)
- No rated 18+ outfits /troll outfits

If a player is found using a song deemed illegal for MS2, will an mod/admin remove the sheet from being playable, or what is the repercussions?

From a guide posted on these forums a few weeks ago, they recommend going to musescore and coping the codes for songs there. Will this be not aloud when MS2 is officially launched?

Comments

• MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,320
    edited 11:16PM July 31, 2018
    I don't think it quite works in the same manner because it's really not a 1 to 1 copy when it comes to music. It's not like you just upload the song nor directly copy it, rather it's in a different format and it's played by midi instruments. In other words, it's different enough that I would say to be considered acceptable much like a cover would be. While when it comes to clothing, if you copy a Nike shirt, the design is still the same. If you change the logo to Vike with a different checkmark and alter the design a bit, then you should be fine I would think. Sorta like what they do in some anime, cartoons, shows, movies, or games.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 555
    it appears to be very similar to the music system Mabinogi has so if you know the rules for that music system you will be fine with this one. as said above the format is different and you are using different types of instruments so you are not breaking any copyright laws. if you copied someone else's MS2 or Mabi song code without permission from the original composer then you are breaking rules and could possibly get the song taken away or maybe even banned I guess.
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,560
    IMO the only reasons action should be taken against a song is if:

1. It breaks the game via some exploit to harm the experiences of others.

2. It enters or potentially wins a contest meant only for original works.

That's it. It's just midi playback software, there is no copyright and there are no real $ transactions based on the contents of the music sheets. The only way to sell a music sheet is with mesos through the black market, one at a time, and where it can't even be previewed so it could just be a blank sheet with a title for all the buyer knows.
  • YoYoFigaroFigaroYoYoFigaroFigaro
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 480
    Is it illegal to make covers of songs on Youtube?
  • MidbossMidboss
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,670

I am not sure if Youtube even know. From what I heard from Youtubers, everyone spams the copyright hammer irregardless of being illegal or not.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,320

It's certainly against copyright. The same can be said about fanart as well. Though technically they are a bit more strict with covers especially if you are trying to earn money from it, but still a lot of copyright owners don't mind since it's free exposure. Normally to publish a cover, you would need a mechanical license and pay royalties to the creator of the song. Youtube however actually has made an agreement with a lot of music publishers. So as long as the music you want to cover is part of that agreement, you can post the cover on youtube because youtube is the ones who pay them. BTW ... mechanical licenses don't work for live performances. I am actually unclear about performing a cover.

But this isn't something to really worry about in game form. It's so altered they really couldn't even get you for copyright even if they wanted to. It would also be a waste of their time like it is for an artist to go after fanart.