"Play with the GMs Incident" by Producer LAMBCOOK

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 55,965
Administrator
in Team Blogs
Hi Maplers,

This is LAMBCOOK, another producer working on MapleStory 2, and Priest main. I personally hoped my introduction would happen at a better time but we have something important to announce so I’ll be using today’s post to explain what happened and what we did.

Over the weekend, we ran a scheduled “Play with the GMs” event where GMs would pop in and give GM buffs to random parties by joining the dungeon’s “Find Party” queue. During last Sunday’s GM event on the NA WEST server, one of our GMs gave an unintended advantage to a participating party by defeating the boss for them. While we were aware of the incident almost immediately, we needed time to thoroughly investigate how it happened and to discuss preventive measures going forward.

The incident happened when one of our GMs joined a Chaos Raid on the NA WEST server and the GM elected to clear the dungeon for them. In the original plan, the “Play with the GMs” event was never meant for GMs to clear a dungeon for players and we are aware of the implications of this GM’s action in rankings, rewards, and even pure bragging rights if this happened in Official Launch. We sincerely apologize for our GM’s action. We take this matter very seriously even though it happened in Closed Beta.

As one of the actions to ensure that similar incidents don’t happen again, we will no longer aid players in dungeon runs as part of the “Play with the GMs” event. GMs will still be present throughout other events, including the “Monster Invasion” event.

As for the Maplers who participated in Sunday’s GM event, we’ve decided to leave the ranking info and rewards from the dungeon clear as-is since our GM was at fault and all data will be reset after Closed Beta ends. We understand the rewards obtained from clearing Chaos Raids can give an edge to end-game content. If this type of incident was to occur after Official Launch, swift action would be taken to remove the obtained rewards, to keep it fair on all fronts. But as an isolated incident during a closed beta and with a game-wide reset after Closed Beta 2, we did not want players who benefited from the GM’s wrongful action to be put through any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for any concern players may have as a result of this incident. Rest assured we are taking the appropriate steps to ensure that something like this does not happen again. Our first and foremost goal is to deliver the highest quality of service and we hope to get there with transparent communication. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

- MapleStory 2 Producer, LAMBCOOK
mmviioKCMarksmanBryanPhuuzGGAINOouAlziiHyphoxAochieArcelleand 10 others.

Comments

• oKCoKC
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 990
    Very professional! Thank you for the Nexon team for the hard work!
  • MarksmanBryanMarksmanBryan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,850
    edited 7:13PM July 24, 2018
    Thank you for the professionalism in addressing this. I would personally like to apologize for the (very few) members of Rust who over-reacted, said terrible things, spammed forums, and were immature in general. We have made clear that this is unacceptable behavior, and will not be tolerated moving forward (off-topic, but this also applies for any toxicity in general - including other guilds/players).
    I want to stress that it was a vocal minority of the guild that was behaving this way. Rust does not agree with anything negative that was said about Nexon or GM Sqoups by those few members. Most of us understand the extremely small impact this actually had and do not care that this happened during a beta test.

We want the team to understand that most of the guild (and most of the beta testers in general) are extremely happy with the work they have done and the effort that has been put in to make this game successful. Keep it up!
    AlziiGbabescholar624XenostarsMonogatari
  • IrisuKwackoIrisuKwacko
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 530
    Comical. Like you said, if it happened in Open beta/release then sure, but I seriously doubted it required something of this scale as a response.
    Over-reaction to an isolated incident which was very unlikely to replicate itself in Open beta/offical.

Rather you guys spent your effort/time fixing things, like the Thief poison stacks for example.
    Kjasan
  • KatsKats
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,965
    edited 2:11AM July 25, 2018
    Now that this is over, onto more important matters.
    Change priests dodge. It's garbage, does more harm than good, and just adds an extra layer of awkwardness to the class that really doesn't need to be there.
    You're a priest main, you can't tell me you like the dodge as it is now.
    When I say change, I mean, remove the stupid "move to nearest teammate", make it go the full distance, remove the heal if you want to, just, I repeat, make it go the full distance.
    JerkForeverSnackCakes
  • AlziiAlzii
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,325
    Thank you sooo much for the professional and sincere apology! It's lovely to hear this kind of level of communication and discipline. We weren't on our best behavior either, to be fair. I hope you accept the apology Bryan made as well.
  • lppulppu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,505
    I'm surprised people actually complained about something like that. It's CBT. Yikes.
    AlylioEvoraXenostarsMonogatariKasheHicciImutone
  • OouOou
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,025
    I know this probably makes sense and doesn't feel like it needs to be addressed like this but it really is a nice touch that the team at Nexon chose to make an announcement and address what happened.

Not only that but you also addressed additional scenarios and what would have been done to rectify those incidences if it were to happen.

Really great stuff, loving the game so far and all the attention/support the Nexon team is giving the game and the community. Best of luck to everyone!
    MarksmanBryanAlziiMonogatari
  • lazimilazimi
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,990
    and what about the noob gm are was do the event in EU drop only in ellinia 1 monster in each ch and go? its ok give na full Event and to EU 3 min event on clock?
  • biskobisko
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,315
    I'm sorry, I do agree with this reply in this context. But it completely contradicts the stand made in terms of the Mushking royale event.

''As for the Maplers who participated in Sunday’s GM event, we’ve decided to leave the ranking info and rewards from the dungeon clear as-is since our GM was at fault and all data will be reset after Closed Beta ends. ''

Wasn't it Nexon's fault and the GMs fault for not noticing the end dates for their event did not reflect the ones in their post and on their game servers?

''But as an isolated incident during a closed beta and with a game-wide reset after Closed Beta 2, we did not want players who benefited from the GM’s wrongful action to be put through any inconvenience.''

You are making every server have extreme inconvenience by making at least 100 people have to take a full day off to grind 24 hours on your game mode that you unintentionally ended only an hour earlier. Which not only is physically but mentally draining apart from in just an in-game context.

If you are going to take time and release statements like these at least keep them consistent with your players and your company that is all I ask.

It should simply be something along the lines of;

1 in 3 get Legendary
    4-10 get Master
    11-20 get Founder.

Which works out to be only roughly $560 dollars of extra value per server. Considering 20,000 founders packs have already apparently been sold which let's say the average was the cost equalled the middle tier. So 1.2 million dollars of sales. For the sake of it, 4,000 founder packs went to each server. (I recognise Oceania would probably be less). That's a ~0.23% dilution in the market with the extra packs and that is currently on in pre-sales, without the next wave coming in.

Give us the extra day, let people get their title for live and test / play the game mode. But don't ''put through any inconvenience'' to the players.

#startanewseason #turnanewmapleleaf
    AiyaJesterizerDanDKscllAngelicaxoxo
  • LouvainLouvain
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 835
    edited 11:45PM July 24, 2018
    I don't understand why this became such a big deal. Sure, I understand it can be frustrating to see people run around with something they didn't "deserve" however;
    1) the people this actually impacted was minimal. only seven other people got gear, and they would only be able to use it if its for their job.
    2) This is closed beta, and none of it was going to last or will have a lasting effect (as there are no rewards for clearing devorak that will carry over into open beta/official launch)
    3) the gm(s) are trying to have fun and be helpful.

But due to the uproar over something that hardly affected anyone (unless you're super into a temporary two week ranking that was set to be erased at the end anyways...) we will no longer get the chance to actually play with GM's, something I find extremely disappointing as hanging out with the gms is always a treat.
    DanDKlillucarioAlylioEvoraXenostarsAlzackSerfrostMonogatariSpecksXtony
  • mewskittymewskitty
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 815
    edited 12:18AM July 25, 2018
    I never paid any attention and never knew about this incident until it is publicly posted. Honestly this is still a "sand box" and completely will be wiped and people will forget about that for the next 4 months after the official release. Nobody owe any apology and if you're more worried about bragging rights and other players claimed it is unfair while in CBT, yall need to re-prioritize what is more important. Idk what the dev management system is but I'd take opportunity to see what would users do and how far can the potential be "stretched" until the beta ends. Honestly if GM wants to do raid chaos boss go for it! Because there are no real loss and it will be more punishable to everyone in the server if this happens in official release. Have fun while it last. It would be a unique history itself
    LouvainXenostars
  • KushyDragonKushyDragon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 885
    edited 2:17AM July 25, 2018
    I found this to be hilarious, especially when these kind of things are usually done on private servers.

I never once thought that it would happen for GMS2's official CBT2.

Oh well, because of some selfish kids, we all got screwed.

That's lovely, Isn't it?
    XenostarsMonogatari
  • HoIyHoIy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,430
    Unfortunate that there are people with 7k attack running around in pvp. I understand it's close beta but I think most people would have understand if you just remove the legendary items.

I'm guessing the first people to clear in the west beside the gm group will be those who got the legendary items as well. Kills the purpose of trying to accomplish anything in CBT2.

• XenostarsXenostars
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,590
    I'm so sad about this. I really wanted to play with a gm in dungeon..sigh.
    Monogatari
  • StrobeStrobe
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 880
    You guys seriously need to audit your GMs. Ridiculous.
  • StrobeStrobe
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 880
    edited 11:16AM July 25, 2018
    bisko wrote: »

They do not care enough to be consistent. They lack the executive faculties to process through logical progressions.
  • SerfrostSerfrost
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,555
    Considering this is Closed Beta and everything is obviously being wiped... if I were the GM, I probably would have done the same thing. I don't think this constitutes as a reason to stop all further involvement of GMs within Dungeon / Raid instances.

Just make sure it doesn't happen in the public release.
    MonogatariXenostars
  • RadiantRayRadiantRay
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,430
    I can kind of understand how this would be a big deal to some even in the cbt. It would be so much easier for groups to clear by partying those who have the yellow weapons. However I wish gms would do more fun stuff like that since this is only a cbt but that's my opinion
    Kats wrote: »
    Now that this is over, onto more important matters.
    Change priests dodge. It's garbage, does more harm than good, and just adds an extra layer of awkwardness to the class that really doesn't need to be there.
    You're a priest main, you can't tell me you like the dodge as it is now.
    When I say change, I mean, remove the stupid "move to nearest teammate", make it go the full distance, remove the heal if you want to, just, I repeat, make it go the full distance.

Even though we're both completely off topic I completely agree. Really annoying to deal with in raids, it's like an extra mechanic for priests.
  • XphobiaXphobia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,620
    Yes, it is closed beta and it doesn't really matter.
    Yes, the apology is a little on the dramatic side for something minimal.

But could you imagine the backlash Nexon and the GMs would have got if they didn't respond about this? Those same dum-dums would be spamming rumours like "Nexon trying to cover up for GM abusing his power" "Nexon still hasn't responded about GM cheating" it'd be sensational stuff like that. Then, since people are already on Nexon's hate train, they'd start spreading the rumour more without checking for proof or the right context of the whole situation.

At least, that's what I'd think would happen. It's better for the staff to make this professional, solemn type of response to hush the baby's whining.
    Xtony
  • SeeSee
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 750
    Lmao this is such a silly tiny thing to have to apologize about. Can't believe players complained about this. You guys should play a Trion game, they literally keep game breaking bugs in the game for over a year ban people on accident and won't unban, block anyone from playing who complains on forums, add bugs that give some players millions of free in game currency for free and take no action to compensate people who didn't get it nor a rollback. Lol this is small potatoes compared to other game companies. The GM made a mistake, a tiny mistake on closed beta. Give them a break :D
    Monogatari