Arrow Barrage's Jump back/General combat complaint

KeopKeop
Maplestory 2 Rep: 610
edited 9:11PM July 19, 2018 in Archer
Is anyone else annoyed at Arrow Barrage forces you to jump backwards? Fighting on top of a hill or anything where the terrain isnt close to completely flat feels awful because i keep jumping off a ledge, and i cant dash or jump through the mobs, making kiting anything annoying unless im on a completely flat surface. This is further felt by all ranged attacks going in a straight line, what happened to aiming slightly down or up, like in original Maple. If we could aim 1 block up or 1 block down, i feel like pve wouldn't be so awful.

And what do you do when you're jumping backwards faster than the mobs are chasing you? They stop to attack or get cc'd or are stationary and can't move. It feels like the added jump back on arrow barrage is more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Is it too difficult to choose not to jump backwards? Or at least choose the direction i jump? We already have Evasive Salvo, which is basically a re-position skill with the added bonus of doing damage. As well as Eagle glide.

Am i supposed to have high enough damage to just 1 shot everything? Does it get better later on with Screwdriver shot? Am i supposed to have enough evasion to eagle glide back into a hoard of mobs? Is the kit fine for combat on non-flat surfaces and Im just missing something and being stupid?

Currently I much rather prefer OG Maple's ranger classes to this right now.
DanDK

Comments

• lolzfaillolzfail
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,085
    I agree that arrow barrage is not very useful. Personally I use arrow rain and rapidfire for mobbing. Don't underestimate the mobbing power of rapidfire as it can hit up to 3 enemies if aligned properly, while also being your best dps skill, so it can mow down mobs quite quickly. If you still need a mobbing skill try ice arrow maybe? It has low damage but as the mobs get closer to you ice arrow can hit the same mob with all 3 projectiles, thus doing triple the damage. Also you never run out of sp holding down ice arrow even without snipe. More importantly it slows/freezes so that you will get hit less. As for screwdriver shot it can 1 hit mobs at lower levels, but I would recommend adding 1 into precision shooter so that you don't have to charge it.
  • TheCurrySauseBanditTheCurrySauseBandit
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 940
    I've actually really enjoyed using the jump back of Arrow Barrage as a positioning tool when combined with Arrow Rain and Evasive Salvo. I prefer mobbing anywhere from 6 ~ 16 monsters though. Since things tend to die between the Arrow Rain and Barrage spam, leaving just a bit more arrow rain left for the remaining mobs. So the extra mobility helps out since you're moving away a oncoming group.

Also,
    Keop wrote: »

Am i supposed to have high enough damage to just 1 shot everything? Does it get better later on with Screwdriver shot? Am i supposed to have enough evasion to eagle glide back into a hoard of mobs? Is the kit fine for combat on non-flat surfaces and Im just missing something and being stupid?

You're not stupid, it takes a bit to get used to things. I had the same feeling last beta, but it gets waaaay better as you get used to things. Especially since I used to only mob 3 or so monsters at a time in first beta and changed up to grouping up more monsters in this beta.

Ideally, you should be able to take out most mobs of monsters in a volley of Arrow Rain, with spammed Arrow Barrage, and Evasive Salvo to reposition leaving the monsters more or less defenseless from the flinch lock of Arrow Rain. If they're not dead, keep spamming arrow Barrage and Arrow salvo and repostion as necessary until Arrow Rain is back up. Bonus points if you also like using Eagle Claw at .5 ~ 3 seconds of Bronze Eagle duration. I highly recommend getting conditioning as well, as that bonus damage helps a lot. Pre 50 most mobs won't last past the Arrow Rain duration and if they do, a few more Arrow Barrages will clean them up.

If you're having problems with terrain I have two tips for you.

1.) Don't be lazy. You can easily reposition by walking or jumping over the mob and either using Evasive Salvo or Eagle Glide to the other side of the platform you're on. If you're one block up or down from the enemies, use that time as time to reposition yourself optimally instead of thinking of it as a hindrance. You're only other alternative would be to face tank on a small platform. Or use Bow Swing. Screwdriver Shot will not help in this situation. Or you could use Ice Arrow, but that's a preference thing there.

2.) If your terrain has 2 levels of blocks, either fliter mobs between the two levels and force them into arrow rain, or use arrow rain between the two terrains and spam the every living crap out of them with arrow barrage.

lolzfail wrote: »
    I agree that arrow barrage is not very useful. Personally I use arrow rain and rapidfire for mobbing. Don't underestimate the mobbing power of rapidfire as it can hit up to 3 enemies if aligned properly, while also being your best dps skill, so it can mow down mobs quite quickly.

I recommend you try mobbing more than 3 monsters at a time. ._. Rapid Fire is severally lacking compared to Arrow Barrage in most mobbing situations.

Dunno if I agree with Ice Arrow and mobbing, since face tanking with it hurts and it doesn't outdamage Arrow Barrage, even if you're hitting all of the shots. I'll try it out though. o3o.

• DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,525
    Forum Moderator
    Last CBT, I had used Arrow Barrage almost entirely for mobbing, but this time, I have been relying on Rapid Shot. It's not quite as much damage, but I certainly find it more reliable. I think when I finalize my skill build, I'll recommend a single build from 1-50 that upgrades both skills for versatility, rather than upgrading the relatively useless passive skills.
  • lolzfaillolzfail
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,085
    lolzfail wrote: »
    I agree that arrow barrage is not very useful. Personally I use arrow rain and rapidfire for mobbing. Don't underestimate the mobbing power of rapidfire as it can hit up to 3 enemies if aligned properly, while also being your best dps skill, so it can mow down mobs quite quickly.

I recommend you try mobbing more than 3 monsters at a time. ._. Rapid Fire is severally lacking compared to Arrow Barrage in most mobbing situations.

Dunno if I agree with Ice Arrow and mobbing, since face tanking with it hurts and it doesn't outdamage Arrow Barrage, even if you're hitting all of the shots. I'll try it out though. o3o.

My bad, I wasn't being very clear. I just meant to suggest rapidfire as a decent alternative for mobbing which doesn't make you jump back. It is in no way saying rapidfire is superior to barrage for mobbing.

My issue with arrow barrage is that it costs 12 sp and the knockback is kind of detrimental at a long range since it can make you jump out of range. As such I prefer rapidfire and arrow rain at long range. Ultimately it is up to preference as both options do work. I still use arrow barrage for large groups of squishy mobs if arrow rain is on cooldown. However I do not find much use for it as arrow rain is usually off cooldown by the time I group enough mobs together and rapidfire performs way better on small groups.

As for ice arrow you should end up tanking less than you would expect. From a long range you do less damage but the mobs move slower towards you so they take longer to reach you. At close range you can usually hit at least 2 projectiles per ice arrow which means a freeze every 5 arrows during which you can continue stacking freeze. I would say ice arrow is superior if you are worried about taking damage. Damage wise I do not doubt that it may be worse than arrow barrage but its sp cost is low enough for you to spam it nearly forever. Furthermore ice arrow can be animation-cancelled by holding down a direction key thus increasing its dps. For arrow barrage I'm not sure if it can be animation-cancelled but doing so will just make your sp run out faster.

Overall I agree with you that arrow barrage is actually useful(I should have worded my above comment better) but I feel there are several alternatives for people who are unwilling to deal with its downsides, as I have shown above.
    TheCurrySauseBandit
  • StrawberryPanicStrawberryPanic
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 890
    Arrow Barrage has one good side. It's the only skill that can be used for combo that we have. 3rd cast of Arrow Barrage can be casted basically at the same time as Evasive Salvo for some higher DPS output. But overall I agree, I don't like the way it throws me back. Tried to cancel the animation on it but the flow of damage drops down too much.